Wayne Millard Murder Trial - Dellen Millard Charged With Murder - #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Adam Carter‏Verified account @AdamCarterCBC 1m1 minute ago
Bevilacqua says Dellen Millard told him that night there might be a bag with a gun in it in the basement of the home. #Millard

Whoa...was this before they found the bag with the gun in it beside the bed? :eek:

I thought that DM had said that there might be guns in a safe, and that is why the cops spent 10 mins trying to open the safe. I don't remember him before that there might be a gun in a bag. I'm a bit confused.

Me too...

I hit reply and was going to cancel my comment but it seems that once you hit reply there is no backing out? I guess I'm committed now LOL Am I missing a delete option somewhere?

Lol, just empty the reply box and hit refresh. If that doesn't work empty the box and hit "post reply". You'll get an error message and just X out of that.

HTH

I'm wondering how much of that difference in perspective had to do with both experience and bias. Bias comes in many, many forms and all the professionals at the scene may have been impacted by bias to some degree. Being caucasian, well-spoken and reasonably articulate, residing in a leafy, affluent suburb with another supporting family member on scene etc...could all stack up to create bias even in a seasoned professional.

I think it's absolutely true: police are biased to regard well-off, polite, white people as probably law-abiding, rather than probably criminals, if there's no factual evidence to indicate otherwise.

I wish they had the same bias towards people of other colours, languages, education, dwelling places, rather than wish that police treated everyone with as much suspicion as they treat some people.

RSBM. I'm not being a smarta**, but what other term would he use for whiskey? I'm around the same age as DM and I'd call it whiskey.
I'll throw in my two cents worth here. I think it may be a generational thing. I'm 48 years old and grew up knowing whiskey as "rye"....having a "rye and coke" or a "rye and ginger" was a thing. If I can judge by some of the advertising that's out there now, whiskey seems to be the term used currently...."This is not your father's whiskey" is one tag line from an ad and I know that Johnny Walker has an ad out with a young woman talking about "Scotch whiskey". As with many things, what once was old is new again.

Adam Carter‏Verified account @AdamCarterCBC 2m2 minutes ago
Lockhard again asks this officer if he ever threatened Millard, or promised him something in exchange for information. He says no. Lockhart again asks about investigative detention, as he has all these cops. #Millard

"My conversations with Mr. Millard were free and open," Bevilacqua says. "I didn't believe there was anything to detain them for." #Millard

Bevilacqua says he didn't feel like he had grounds to attest Millard for anything. #Millard

So now that detective Hutcheon and Johnston are off the stand, does this mean they successfully managed to keep MB's interview out of this trial?
I'm not concerned if this is the case as she will be called as a witness.

I've always called Canadian Club "rye", as in "rye and coke". Other types usually by their name, like Jack Daniels etc.
Rye is a type of whiskey. Jack Daniels is actually technically Bourbon. They are all types of whiskey but they are all slightly different. If he was drinking an Irish or Scottish whiskey it would just be called Whiskey.

ETA: Irish/Scottish whiskey doesn't have another well known term for it I don't think. It could possibly be referred to by the brand name but maybe he drank different brands.

I guess Scottish Whiskey would be Scotch

Last edited:
I'll throw in my two cents worth here. I think it may be a generational thing. I'm 48 years old and grew up knowing whiskey as "rye"....having a "rye and coke" or a "rye and ginger" was a thing. If I can judge by some of the advertising that's out there now, whiskey seems to be the term used currently...."This is not your father's whiskey" is one tag line from an ad and I know that Johnny Walker has an ad out with a young woman talking about "Scotch whiskey". As with many things, what once was old is new again.
I don't really drink, but my grandfather drinks "rye and coke" or "rye and ginger ale". In college, people generally drank Jack and called it that. I suspect that you're right about the generational terms. People in my circle would know the difference between bourbon, rye, scotch (the whiskey family) but I couldn't tell you what's what. I'd say whiskey generally, as a broad term without a specific brand attached.

Adam Carter‏Verified account @AdamCarterCBC 1m1 minute ago
Lockhart is also asking the officer how much he weighs, and how tall he is, compared to Millard. The Crown has asked this question of all of these police officers who have testified. #Millard

Adam Carter‏Verified account @AdamCarterCBC 44s45 seconds ago
Pillay is now cross-examination. He starts off asking about "scene security," which was one of Bevilacqua's duties that night at the Millard home. #Millard

Adam Carter‏Verified account @AdamCarterCBC 26s27 seconds ago
Pillay asks if he maintained any log of who went in and out of the bedroom where Millard's body was found. Bevilacqua says no. #Millard

There was a reason he called MB, AM and possibly JS to surround himself during this IMO.
Absolutely. DM was seasoned in cultivating facades and he drew on that skill set when he called them, those people specifically. To the best of my recollection, AM didn't have a criminal record and thus would be clean should they run his name while recording who was on scene. He certainly wasn't going to have MS there standing there with his hoodie up and the crotch of his pants to his knees.

I've always called Canadian Club "rye", as in "rye and coke". Other types usually by their name, like Jack Daniels etc.
I get your point totally. I would call Crown Royal "rye" as well. Jack Daniels is actually bourbon but that's a whole other conversation :)

Jun 5 2018 2:42 PM
Lockhart is also asking the officer how much he weighs, and how tall he is, compared to Millard. The Crown has asked this question of all of these police officers who have testified.
Adam Carter

So, I wonder if he’s crying “police brutality”

Adam Carter‏Verified account @AdamCarterCBC 31s32 seconds ago
Pillay asks the officer if he recorded verbatim his conversations with Millard. He says no, he didn't. #Millard

Adam Carter‏Verified account @AdamCarterCBC 7s7 seconds ago
Pillay is now asking about "late entries" -- when the officer recorded information that happened at a later time from exactly when it happened. #Millard

Adam Carter‏Verified account @AdamCarterCBC 50s51 seconds ago
This is somewhat similar to what he was doing with Hutcheon earlier this morning, but the tone is markedly different. This officer has marked his late entries, Hutcheon didn't. Bevilacqua is also much more neutral about Pillay's questions. #Millard

Adam Carter‏Verified account @AdamCarterCBC 14s15 seconds ago
That's it for Bevilacqua. He's done. The next witness is Const. Claudio Roscigno. He's been with Toronto police for nine years -- he's also the first officer to come in to testify in police uniform. #Millard

Adam Carter‏Verified account @AdamCarterCBC 3m3 minutes ago
He was working the night that Millard's body was found. He was sent there for the sudden death investigation. #Millard

His assignment was "preservation of the scene" -- essentially a security detail. #Millard

Adam Carter‏Verified account @AdamCarterCBC 33s34 seconds ago
Roscigno is really focusing on his notes here -- basically reading his answer straight out of them. #Millard

Adam Carter‏Verified account @AdamCarterCBC 26s26 seconds ago
Roscigno says he recognizes Dellen Millard as a person who was speaking to the coroner outside the home. He says he never spoke with Millard himself. #Millard

Adam Carter‏Verified account @AdamCarterCBC 13s13 seconds ago
He says Wayne Millard's body was removed from the home at 4:15 a.m. #Millard

Adam Carter‏Verified account @AdamCarterCBC 47s48 seconds ago
Lockhart is now asking the officer if he had seen other police officers at the scene. He's listing their badge numbers -- we've heard from most of them already. #Millard

Adam Carter‏Verified account @AdamCarterCBC 27s28 seconds ago
That's it for the Crown's questions for this witness. #Millard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members