NJ - William McGuire, 39, found dismembered in Chesapeake Bay, 2004

I was "lucky" enough to be home sick when testimony was being televised. I'm surprised this wasn't in the news more. It's reminiscent of Scott Peterson - it was mostly circumstantial evidence. I kind of figured she was guilty, but I agree Seven, I thought the jury would find reasonable doubt.

i just really wish she would have gotten on the stand ... mary winkler testified and got three years ..... melanie didnt get on the stand and got 30 years minimum .... i do remember the doctor (in her same fertility clinic) testifying that he had lied to the grand jury, had been having an affair with melanie, tape recorded conversations with her after the fact, trying to get her to admit something, which she never did .... and that guy was extremely nervous when he was being cross examined by one of melanie's lawyers. in fact, i remember remarking that he was so obviously nervous i had never seen a witness on the stand looking and sounding that nervous.

anyway ...... jury was there the whole time ... i wasnt! :(

It says the husband's body was found in seperate pieces of the couple's luggage. I'd say that links her.

It says the husband's body was found in seperate pieces of the couple's luggage. I'd say that links her.

well, that luggage was the same brand and model, but there are many of the same purchased by others and the luggage was found in the lake, ocean? apparently her luggage was stored somewhere other than their home? and she didnt own a reciprocating saw? ........ the doubt creeping in is that these were things a man she was having an affair with could have had access to ...... it was that guy, dr. miller, who purchased a reciprocating saw and he was the one who was nervous on the stand when cross examined and lied to the grand jury .... i hope he was thorougly investigated ..... dont know that he was.

She purchased the gun. I think that links her.

No she purcheasd a 38 like the one that was used. They never did find her gun. And what gets me is how could she do this when they could not find any blood anywhere in her house?

Allegedly she forged a prescription for chloral hydrate the day her husband disappeared. Personally I think she took him somewhere else while he was knocked out and had help killing him.

well, that luggage was the same brand and model, but there are many of the same purchased by others and the luggage was found in the lake, ocean? apparently her luggage was stored somewhere other than their home? and she didnt own a reciprocating saw? ........ the doubt creeping in is that these were things a man she was having an affair with could have had access to ...... it was that guy, dr. miller, who purchased a reciprocating saw and he was the one who was nervous on the stand when cross examined and lied to the grand jury .... i hope he was thorougly investigated ..... dont know that he was.
Good point about the luggage. It was found in the Cheaspeke (sp:confused: ) Bay. Doesn't the article above say "the couple's luggage?" I thought maybe they had a reciept or something proving it was that particular luggage. With the gun never being found, I would think the luggage was more of a tie than the gun if they are sure it belonged to the couple.

I haven't watched or kept up with this case. However, I do remember hearing that LE at one time believed she didn't do this alone.

Allegedly she forged a prescription for chloral hydrate the day her husband disappeared. Personally I think she took him somewhere else while he was knocked out and had help killing him.

today the charge she was found NG on mentioned "Xanax," ... although oen of those days i was listening from another room, i thought i heard someome mention chloral hydrate (but she wasnt charged with that).

as far as taking him somewhere ... he was too big for her .... even if he had been knocked out, he would have been "dead weight," so there's reasonable doubt she could have taken him somewhere without help....

Thanks for the updates, Seven. I've been following this case (as much as I could over the puter at work). I was torn. I think she did it but there wasn't much evidence. Like Jeana said though, she purchased the gun so that ties her to it.

I'm really confused over how she did it though. How could it have been done at home if they found ZERO trace evidence???
I wouldnt have wanted to ahve been on the jury on this one- she did purchase the gun, but they never found it- I dont know that there wasnt alot of reasonable doubt in this one, but if I remember correctly, the head that was in the suitcase was wrapped in towels that came from her workplace- that one stuck out to me when I heard it

Good point about the luggage. It was found in the Cheaspeke (sp:confused: ) Bay. Doesn't the article above say "the couple's luggage?" I thought maybe they had a reciept or something proving it was that particular luggage. With the gun never being found, I would think the luggage was more of a tie than the gun if they are sure it belonged to the couple.

I haven't watched or kept up with this case. However, I do remember hearing that LE at one time believed she didn't do this alone.

good point. i just went back and read the article for the first time .... that article doesnt seem to be from the defendant's point of view .... but i think it was more like a high percentage it was their actual luggage (like maybe it was a five piece set and they found 3 pieces in the bay, then when the found the luggage in the storage space, there were two pieces ... something like that .... still it's possible a lover had access to their storage space where the luggage was stored ???

she could possibly have been set up by a jilted lover
or she could have been an accomplice.

I wouldnt have wanted to ahve been on the jury on this one- she did purchase the gun, but they never found it- I dont know that there wasnt alot of reasonable doubt in this one, but if I remember correctly, the head that was in the suitcase was wrapped in towels that came from her workplace- that one stuck out to me when I heard it

EXACTLY! and the dr. miller she had the affair with (btw, the dead man, her husband, was also having an affair) ... anyway, dr. miller worked at the same place melanie did, had access to those same towels.

Just listening to NG...sounds like the suitcases, and trashbags are what convinced Nancy she did it. I didn't know about the towels from the work place.

Did the prosecution have a theory about where he was shot....and where the dismemberment occured?

One of the things the THs are saying about her is how cold she seemed. I know some nurses and they all have a cold side! I think it's necessary isn't it?

EXACTLY! and the dr. miller she had the affair with (btw, the dead man, her husband, was also having an affair) ... anyway, dr. miller worked at the same place melanie did, had access to those same towels.

Her hubby had a one nigght stand not an affair.

Just listening to NG...sounds like the suitcases, and trashbags are what convinced Nancy she did it. I didn't know about the towels from the work place.
i like NG, but she is a former prosecutor, and she usually gives defense attorneys a hard time ... in this case she has made no secret of the fact that she believed melanie did it ...... i didnt get all the stuff about the trashbags, but it was basically a battle of the "trashbag experts"! :D

Did the prosecution have a theory about where he was shot....and where the dismemberment occured?
not that i heard ...... but the prosecutor was NG's guest, and jean casares asked her point blank about the "accomplice" because, apparently, the prosecutor had mentioned that in her opening statement ..... the pros's answer: too soon to answer that question ... sooo???

One of the things the THs are saying about her is how cold she seemed. I know some nurses and they all have a cold side! I think it's necessary isn't it?
youre right about that--doctors the same thing .... truthfully, she did not appear any colder than, say, robert blake or many other defendants who dont show emotion during the trial. .... i think we were all surprised to see that, today, she was pretty much sobbing uncontrollable before the jury even came in to issue their verdict.

No she purcheasd a 38 like the one that was used. They never did find her gun. And what gets me is how could she do this when they could not find any blood anywhere in her house?

exactly .... i remember a couple of the TH's saying the CSI's virtually took the house apart on and off for over a year, and they never found any blood evidence ... they claimed the body was cut up with a riceprocating saw ... but where was it done? no luminol or anything else, not a shred of evidence .... drains ... taking switch plates off the walls, etc. etc., yet they never found a thing in the home to indicate that any crime had occurred there.

that question was never answered, as far as i know.

Boo, Hiss. Normally I'm all over these "criminals", dislike defense attorneys etc... but this time I think there is reasonable doubt.

What in the heck is wrong with our system when O.J. walks and this nurse is found guilty? Yes, there was a lot of circumstantial evidence but for me the doubt was:
No organic evidence at the apartment after intensive searches
Her size and theory he was drugged
Never found the murder weapon, same calibre but can't connect the murder weapon to her
Experts about garbage bags cancelled each other out

I agree, the towels make me go hmmm, however, if you wanted to frame someone, how easy would that be? Too easy. Same with the luggage if you ask me.

I didn't hear all the evidence about the luggage but could the victim have had several pieces with him and the murderer used it?

exactly .... i remember a couple of the TH's saying the CSI's virtually took the house apart on and off for over a year, and they never found any blood evidence ... they claimed the body was cut up with a riceprocating saw ... but where was it done? no luminol or anything else, not a shred of evidence .... drains ... taking switch plates off the walls, etc. etc., yet they never found a thing in the home to indicate that any crime had occurred there.

that question was never answered, as far as i know.
HA! I heard one of them say her house was too clean!

Boo, Hiss. Normally I'm all over these "criminals", dislike defense attorneys etc... but this time I think there is reasonable doubt.

What in the heck is wrong with our system when O.J. walks and this nurse is found guilty? Yes, there was a lot of circumstantial evidence but for me the doubt was:
No organic evidence at the apartment after intensive searches
Her size and theory he was drugged
Never found the murder weapon, same calibre but can't connect the murder weapon to her
Experts about garbage bags cancelled each other out

I agree, the towels make me go hmmm, however, if you wanted to frame someone, how easy would that be? Too easy. Same with the luggage if you ask me.

I didn't hear all the evidence about the luggage but could the victim have had several pieces with him and the murderer used it?
Maybe she did it somewhere other than the apartment. Surely you couldn't kill and cut up someone in an apartment with a reciprocating saw!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Remsfled
Back