Deceased/Not Found Australia - Cheryl Grimmer, 3, Fairy Meadow Beach, NSW, 12 Jan 1970

Full 60minute segment included.

Shocking legal loophole means man who confessed to kidnapping and murdering three year old Cheryl Grimmer will never be prosecuted

A major 60 Minutes report has revealed the Australian man who confessed to kidnapping and killing three-year-old Cheryl Grimmer in 1970 will never face trial due to a legal technicality that allowed him to walk free.

And as Tara Brown reported, police at the time claimed there was not enough substantial evidence to arrest the man – despite his detailed confession not only placing him at the scene of the crime but describing where the little girl's body was dumped.
Loophole allows man who confessed to killing little girl to walk free

"How do you put into words how we feel that a person that we know did what he did to Cheryl just walks out of that courtroom. How? Because he didn't have an adult present when it wasn't required at the time."The verdict left Det Santivale in shock, causing him to leave the police force after 21 years.

He told Ms Brown: "He knows he's guilty, we know he's guilty, the police know he's guilty.

"If the police would have just done their job 48 years ago when he walked in and gave such a detailed confession, we wouldn't be here today. Our lives would have been totally different."
Man who admitted killing girl, 3, will never face prison over legal technicality

Full 60minute segment included.

Shocking legal loophole means man who confessed to kidnapping and murdering three year old Cheryl Grimmer will never be prosecuted

A major 60 Minutes report has revealed the Australian man who confessed to kidnapping and killing three-year-old Cheryl Grimmer in 1970 will never face trial due to a legal technicality that allowed him to walk free.

And as Tara Brown reported, police at the time claimed there was not enough substantial evidence to arrest the man – despite his detailed confession not only placing him at the scene of the crime but describing where the little girl's body was dumped.
Loophole allows man who confessed to killing little girl to walk free

The thing that really got to me was the fence and cattle grid evidence. The police (at the time) said they could not find the area where the alleged perp said he took Cheryl.

But then many years later the detective was able to locate the farm owner's son who told him "Yep, we built that fence and cattle grid, it was right over there" ... before houses were built on the area.

Cheryl Grimmer with two of her brothers, Paul, left, and Stephen. Picture: Supplied
NSW police will launch a major review into the 1970 suspected abduction and murder of three-year-old Cheryl Grimmer as her family asked the NSW State Coroner for a new inquest, where a man who confessed to the crime could be questioned under oath.

After formally asking NSW State Coroner Teresa O’Sullivan on Sunday for a new inquest, Cheryl’s brother Ricki Nash said the earlier inquest did not call as a witness the man who had confessed in 1971 to snatching and killing her, “because no one supposedly could find him”.

Yet the man — who cannot be named because he was 17 years old when he confessed — was found “within hours” by detective Frank Sanvitale and co-investigator Detective Sergeant Damian Loone. Mr Nash said: “Not days, not months, not weeks. Hours.”

At the time of the confession, police did not believe it could be substantiated.
NoCookies | The Australian

‘The brothers of Cheryl Grimmer have called for a second inquest into the toddler's death, claiming new evidence has emerged since the inquiry eight years ago.

NSW State Coroner Teresa O'Sullivan confirmed on Monday she will review the original coronial file and advise the family of her decision.

Cheryl's brother Ricki Nash formally sought a new inquest, saying the 2011 earlier inquest did not call as a witness the man who confessed in 1971 to abducting and killing her.’

Coroner considers family's call to launch new Cheryl Grimmer inquest

‘The brothers of Cheryl Grimmer have called for a second inquest into the toddler's death, claiming new evidence has emerged since the inquiry eight years ago.

NSW State Coroner Teresa O'Sullivan confirmed on Monday she will review the original coronial file and advise the family of her decision.

Cheryl's brother Ricki Nash formally sought a new inquest, saying the 2011 earlier inquest did not call as a witness the man who confessed in 1971 to abducting and killing her.’

Coroner considers family's call to launch new Cheryl Grimmer inquest

About the current Coroner:
"Magistrate Teresa O’Sullivan has been announced as NSW’s new State Coroner. Her Honour is the second woman to head the jurisdiction in its history following in the footsteps of Mary Jerram AM, who led the Coroner’s Court from 2007 to 2013.

"Magistrate O’Sullivan comes to the role with extensive experience including 10 years on the bench in both the criminal and coronial jurisdictions. In 2009 she was appointed to the Local Court bench after a 20 year legal career practicing in roles at Legal Aid in Queensland, the Aboriginal Legal Service in the Northern Territory as well as working in child protection in London, England.

"Joining the Coroner’s Court in 2015 as Deputy State Coroner, Her Honour has built a reputation for her compassion and empathy in handling coronial enquiries and inquests.
"<...>"

I realise that the Coroner will rule based on law and precedent, but I feel hopeful that the family will get the second inquest. The Coroner seems like a good person.

Announcing NSW’s new State Coroner

The chilling confession from a man who almost 50 years ago confessed to murdering toddler Cheryl Grimmer has been released.

In the video above: Cheryl Grimmer murder suspect details how he killed her.

"I came around from the back of the shower block and grabbed the little girl," it reads.

"I tied a handkerchief and a shoelace around her mouth to stop her screaming and with the other shoelace I tied up her hands."

He told police he wanted to sexually assault the young girl, carrying her four kilometers from Fairy Meadow Beach into what was then farm land.

"She started to scream when I got her up there. She would not be quiet."

'So I put my arms around her throat and strangled her.'

"I left her lying on the ground at the side of a tree. I covered her up with bushes and leaves and threw some dirt on top."

It's a confession he accepted again - when arrested two years ago.

Cheryl's family is now waiting to hear if the coroner will call a second inquest into her death which the accused will be forced to front.
https://7news.com.au/news/crime/che...eased-with-a-second-inquest-possible-c-476200

Cheryl Grimmer's brother in court over text message

"The brother of Cheryl Grimmer has appeared in a Victorian Court after police took action against him to protect the man once charged with his sister's death.

Ricki Nash did not appose the year-long apprehended violence order which prohibits him from stalking, assaulting, harassing or threatening the protected man, who cannot be named for legal reasons."

So sad.

Cheryl Grimmer's brother in court over text message

"The brother of Cheryl Grimmer has appeared in a Victorian Court after police took action against him to protect the man once charged with his sister's death.

Ricki Nash did not appose the year-long apprehended violence order which prohibits him from stalking, assaulting, harassing or threatening the protected man, who cannot be named for legal reasons."

So sad.
I feared this might happen. Hopefully Ricki will receive some grief/trauma counselling. I hope, for his sake, he doesn’t break the AVO.

So sad for this family. And I do wonder about the accused - wonder if his life has been crime free since then. Fingers crossed for an inquest to bring closure to this very troubled family and for the perpetrator to be called to account and punished accordingly.

i dont think hes confession is worth thepaperits printed on he was suffering from mental health issues aat the time and had confessed to another murder that they know he dident do the land owner was ustioned at the time and said there was not cattlegte and i think hes word is more credible than his sons recolections years later i mean what reason would have to lie

the police dident follow upon it at the time and i think with good reason.

i think the judge made the right call as did the police at tthe time.

NSW Police have increased the reward on the 50th anniversary of the Cheryl Grimmer abduction and suspected murder to $1 million.

$1 million reward for information on 50th anniversary of Cheryl Grimmer abduction and suspected murder

“In acknowledgement of today’s 50-year anniversary, the NSW Government has increased the reward for information which leads to the arrest and conviction of those responsible to $1 million.

Homicide Squad Commander, Detective Superintendent Daniel Doherty, said detectives would welcome any information from the community that may help provide answers to Cheryl’s family.

“By offering the highest value NSW Government reward five decades after Cheryl disappeared, we are appealing to those people who know something but have not previously been inclined to assist police,” Det Supt Doherty.

“Witnesses at the time reported seeing an unknown male carrying Cheryl towards the car park 50-years ago today but there has been no trace of her ever since.

“We welcome any information that may assist the investigation. There are now a million reasons to come forward.”

“Cheryl’s brother, Ricki Nash, said the Grimmer family are hopeful the reward will help close the case.

“There are no words to describe the pain of losing a sister and the impact Cheryl’s disappearance has had on our entire family,” he said.

“Every day we are reminded of the tragic way she was taken from us and we hope this reward is what is needed to bring justice for Cheryl.”

Anyone with information that may assist Strike Force Wessel investigators is urged to contact Crime Stoppers: 1800 333 000 or Crime Stoppers NSW. Information is treated in strict confidence.”

$1 million reward for information on 50th anniversary of Cheryl Grimmer abduction and suspected murder

Last edited:
“Cheryl’s brother, Ricki Nash, said the Grimmer family are hopeful the reward will help close the case.

“There are no words to describe the pain of losing a sister and the impact Cheryl’s disappearance has had on our entire family,” he said.

“Every day we are reminded of the tragic way she was taken from us and we hope this reward is what is needed to bring justice for Cheryl.”

Anyone with information that may assist Strike Force Wessel investigators is urged to contact Crime Stoppers: 1800 333 000 or Crime Stoppers NSW. Information is treated in strict confidence.”

Here is another report about the reward in this case mentioned in the above post:

Australian police offer £528,000 reward in missing British toddler cold case

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AudioPyre
Back