Deceased/Not Found Australia - Cheryl Grimmer, 3, Fairy Meadow Beach, NSW, 12 Jan 1970

From your link:
On the 50th anniversary of her disappearance, NSW authorities upped the reward on the cold case to one million Australian dollars (€620,000) for information leading to arrest and conviction.

Homicide squad commander, detective superintendent Daniel Doherty, said: “We are appealing to those people who know something but have not previously been inclined to assist police.

“Witnesses at the time reported seeing an unknown male carrying Cheryl towards the car park 50 years ago today, but there has been no trace of her ever since.

“We welcome any information that may assist the investigation. There are now a million reasons to come forward.”

Anyone with information is asked to contact CrimeStoppers: 1800 333 000 or visit Crime Stoppers NSW.

I am really confused by the news - I thought that it was technically solved, in that someone had confessed, but they wouldn't stand trial. So what new evidence would the police be looking for? Does this mean they want more evidence to support the confession? Or does it mean that they don't believe the person who confessed and are instead looking for someone else?

I am really confused by the news - I thought that it was technically solved, in that someone had confessed, but they wouldn't stand trial. So what new evidence would the police be looking for? Does this mean they want more evidence to support the confession? Or does it mean that they don't believe the person who confessed and are instead looking for someone else?
It seems like police are convinced they know it was the person who confessed, but since the confession is not allowed, if they can get further evidence from the public, that part wouldn't be disqualified. That's what I'm getting from it anyway.

why didn't the guy who confessed to the murder not lead the cops to the body. Was it a case of him toying with the police. Or was it a case of him being a witness to the event and there was an accomplice who disposed of the body.

I wonder what would've happened if, in addition to confessing without an adult present, the 17 year old had also led police to the body. Would that have been disallowed as well??
The body would had provided necessary evidence to convict the killer.

The body would had provided necessary evidence to convict the killer.
Even if that were true, would he have still gotten off because without his confession and telling the location of the body, presumably the body wouldn't have been found? Too bad they didn't accept it when they had the chance.. as presumably a minor(?), he would've been jailed (presumably) in a young offender jail for a few years, maybe would've received some treatment?? Ugh.

Even if that were true, would he have still gotten off because without his confession and telling the location of the body, presumably the body wouldn't have been found? Too bad they didn't accept it when they had the chance.. as presumably a minor(?), he would've been jailed (presumably) in a young offender jail for a few years, maybe would've received some treatment?? Ugh.
he wouldn't have got off if there was DNA evidence

It seems like police are convinced they know it was the person who confessed, but since the confession is not allowed, if they can get further evidence from the public, that part wouldn't be disqualified. That's what I'm getting from it anyway.
It seems they can't even place him in NSW at the relevant time, independent of the confession. He was in Melbourne on 8 January 1970 and in "Carnavon" (Carnarvon, WA?) on 5 February 1970, and between then, nobody knows. Then in Sydney by April 1971 where he confessed/boasted of more than one killing.

Perhaps I'm missing a Carnavon that's more local.

Another previously posted link--https://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/5552352/detective-typed-as-alleged-grimmer-killer-delivered-1971-fairy-meadow-confession/?cs=300

Last edited:
he wouldn't have got off if there was DNA evidence
Isn't it like a bunch of building blocks (so to speak) though, where, if the guy confessed and said where the body was located, and the confession turns out to be disallowed, and they wouldn't have found the body without the confession, wouldn't the body itself also be disallowed?

I read the articles posted just above, and in the one, it said he described what the toddler had been wearing that day.. but then I realized it was some 17 months later when he confessed, so surely her attire had been described many times on the news.

Terrible that they have never been able to find the poor girl's body in 50 years :(

Isn't it like a bunch of building blocks (so to speak) though, where, if the guy confessed and said where the body was located, and the confession turns out to be disallowed, and they wouldn't have found the body without the confession, wouldn't the body itself also be disallowed?

I read the articles posted just above, and in the one, it said he described what the toddler had been wearing that day.. but then I realized it was some 17 months later when he confessed, so surely her attire had been described many times on the news.

Terrible that they have never been able to find the poor girl's body in 50 years :(
This is just opinion, but I don't think forensic evidence from the body would be disallowed because the confession was disallowed. What would be disallowed would be the incriminating fact of the body having been found just where the accused said he left it.

Only, after all those months in the open or even underground, I doubt whether the accused's DNA would have remained undegraded about the body, or, it being 1971, police would have preserved material in appropriate conditions, if at all. Lots of potential evidence in other cases has been chucked out over the years.

He led them to where the body was supposed to be and it wasn't there...you must ask your self why? . If what he said previously was true then the body WOULD have been there. Nobody steals a dead body.
It was over a year later and the area which I think had been bushy was under development, which made him somewhat unsure whether he'd identified the right place. I don't know whether it's more likely the remains would already have been found under those circumstances, or whether they might have been destroyed by heavy machinery, buried or transferred in rubble. Also, as the boy wasn't making a lot of sense, perhaps little actual searching was done.

It was over a year later and the area which I think had been bushy was under development, which made him somewhat unsure whether he'd identified the right place. I don't know whether it's more likely the remains would already have been found under those circumstances, or whether they might have been destroyed by heavy machinery, buried or transferred in rubble. Also, as the boy wasn't making a lot of sense, perhaps little actual searching was done.
also it's said that he burned her swimming costume. I would regard that a strange thing to do whilst leaving her body exposed to the elements.

also it's said that he burned her swimming costume. I would regard that a strange thing to do whilst leaving her body exposed to the elements.
I don't think I've ever heard that one before. Do you have a link to an article?

Reactions: JLZ
Realistically, is it even possible for a 3 year old toddler to walk 3 kilometers (just short of two miles)? And if so or if not, how is it possible that nobody seems to have witnessed the boy walking with her or carrying her when he was taking her to the site where he would kill her, 3 kms away?

In never before-heard detail of the way Grimmer is alleged to have been killed, the court heard that after hiding in the drain, the man walked towards the suburb of Balgownie – about 3km away – where he was “intending to have sexual intercourse with her”.

Appearing via an audiovisual link from Silverwater prison where he has been in custody since March last year, the accused man inhaled sharply and said “bullsh!t” when Beljic revealed that detail.

Cheryl Grimmer's accused killer intended to rape her first, court told

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rockymountaingirl
Back