WI WI - Kelly Nolan, 22, Madison, 23 June 2007 #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
My reply to your post.
1) Wrong, they would not say they had a suspect unless....that's all I will say for now. More at a later time. Correct, they have said they have no suspects.

2) Waunakee is like a suburb to Madison. You can go from downtown Waunakee to downtown Madison in the 20 mintues you describe. Easily. I say it's very likely she could know someone walking by at bartime.

3) That's the million dollar question.

Now my replies:

1) As to this strategy, it is not particularly publicly responsible. "No suspects" to the general public means "We have no idea." Most police PR in this situation will say state that there is no reason for the general public to fear. Madison LE has not said this.

2) I know where Waunakee is. It has a good high school, and I had a couple friends at UW who graduated from there. But Waunakee isn't a real big town, so they don't send a lot of students to UW. I'm sure young people Kelly's age drive from Waunakee to go out in Madison, though. Heck, students from Whitewater will too. I'm just saying that since she doesn't go to school there, it's not as likely she knew as many people and it would be less likely that she would know someone.

I am thinking abt what was suggested about how dark it was. I would imagine really dark, unless a full moon that night.
That and I wonder if the neighbors often smell the horse stables. So what is it a random spot or chosen because the perp knew there would be odor and hoped it would be mistaken for the horse stall smell. Making the perp very familiar with the area. And was she on the side of the road leading away from town or on the opposite side.

Great information on that 80's murders.

I believe there was a half moon that night...so not very bright. (I tried looking this up at weather underground...but not sure this is right since I didn't find it there. I looked up the daytime moon phase on another site.)

It could be one of the reasons he chose that area. One neighbor did smell something and said he should have called it in earlier to LE. They said that particular area was familiar to people who rode horses. I believe they said the exact spot was located off the road about 50 feet. (Everyone is saying 20 ft, but I think he said 50. I will go back and find that video if I can or it could be in an article. Not that it really matters tho.) It is east of one of the main roads leaving town called Schneider Drive...so he didn't just drop her off conveniently on his drive out of town. I would think he had to be quite familiar with the area, IMO.

Ang~ LE isn't going to say they have a suspect until they arrest someone. It isn't any different than not using the terminology foul play until they found her body. They simply aren't going to say it. They probably do have a likely suspect so it doesn't mean anything. They don't care if people are living in fear as long as they don't have to tip their hand until...as Whisky keeps saying..."it is time".

By the way, does anyone know where she went for an interview that morning? I don't recall seeing anything other than she was supposed to have had one.

Obviously, she was confirmed being near the swimming pier, at some point. Exactly where is that? I tried to find it on the map and couldn't narrow it down.

By the way, does anyone know where she went for an interview that morning? I don't recall seeing anything other than she was supposed to have had one.

Obviously, she was confirmed being near the swimming pier, at some point. Exactly where is that? I tried to find it on the map and couldn't narrow it down.

I don't know about the interview.

At one point, the pier was stated to be the Memorial Union Pier. If that's it, then the closest streets are Lake and Langdon. Memorial Union is on Lake Mendota.

I'm not sure how Kelly being sighted at the pier is relevant at all. First, no one really swims at the pier. Second, everyone hangs out at the Terrace. It's generally a starting out point for the afternoon/evening - you meet your friends there, have a beer by the lake, but everything closes by 10pm, so then you move on to the bars.

But the lake is very convenient to downtown. So someone looking to get rid of evidence would have an easy time to dump something in the water - her purse for instance.

Ang~ LE isn't going to say they have a suspect until they arrest someone. It isn't any different than not using the terminology foul play until they found her body. They simply aren't going to say it. They probably do have a likely suspect so it doesn't mean anything. They don't care if people are living in fear as long as they don't have to tip their hand until...as Whisky keeps saying..."it is time".

In other cases LE will say things such as "we believe the killer was known to the victim" or "this was not a random crime" or so forth. My mother would be OUT OF HER MIND if I were still in Madison. There are ways to relieve the minds of the public without compromising the investigation.

I'm not sure I believe that they have a likely suspect.

In other cases LE will say things such as "we believe the killer was known to the victim" or "this was not a random crime" or so forth. My mother would be OUT OF HER MIND if I were still in Madison. There are ways to relieve the minds of the public without compromising the investigation.

Granted, it would be the best thing to do for the public. I know here they would certainly want parents in a college setting to feel more confident they had things under control and would try to calm those fears. I would think UW to be quite upset they haven't. (Your mom and I would probably have already packed everything and moved our kids home! LOL)

Madison LE has a real way with words, I have noticed. :silenced: Deny everything and disregard the rest until they want you to know or unless they can't keep you in the dark anymore. I am surprised they told us they found her body! (I bet if they could have kept it from the public...they would have.)

Maybe they really don't have a suspect, but you are right...they should find a way to ease the public's fears in some way.

Thanks for the info on the Terrace. I thought maybe her job interview was there. A person may have stated he knew her if he had met her earlier in the day during an interview. He would also have her personal information. (You are right tho..good place to dump her purse or other things.)

For anyone interested:

There is now a fund for a permanent memorial for Kelly Nolan. Her graduating class would like to put a memorial in place that will reflect what a wonderful person Kelly was, how much she meant to the community, and though we know she will not be forgotten, it would be wonderful to create a place for people to go to remember Kelly.

A memorial fund for Kelly Nolan has been set up at St. John's Catholic church in Waunakee, 209 South Street. Please make checks payable to St. John's Memorial Fund for Kelly Nolan. This fund is being put together by her graduating class of 2003. We will be using the donations to create a memorial in her name.

Please help this become a reality. There is a facebook group "Memorial For Kelly Nolan From the Waunakee Class of 2003"

Thank you all for all your support, it has meant so much.
===============================================

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2418284598

===============================================
Facebook page info:

We will take any type of donation may it be money, service, or just your interest, or ideas. Along with taking cash donations (which will be put in the church fund), we ask for any pictures or memories that you can find in order to put together a poster Kelly's life for her family to remember her by, and to be possibly used in any services held in her memory. For information on where to send copies of pictures or stories you would like to add, or questions on where to leave donations, please feel free to e-mail us at [SPAM EDIT]hmmorr AT CHARTER DOT NET, or contact (join group to view) ].

Yes, Mr. Despain was a reporter, and a seasoned one at that. That being said, I'm willing to give him a pass on a few errors as he is serving in a much different capacity than before. Every word he says is now being scrutinized. He'll get better.

Yes, I would like to add more insight on the topic, however this is a public forum and can be read by anyone. Therefore I have tried to choose my words carefully. I may be able to give you some things to think about and in doing so answer some questions.

Actually, at this point I'll just remind you that LE had divers in Lake Mendota four days after her missing persons report was filed. You can speculate all you wish.

No need to give me anything to think about until the person who did this is found (if you wish), I see the direction you are going. Thank you for the reply.

mmmm...laymans terms: Mother refused to give up hope, made herself believe her daughter was fine as something this terrible just couldn't happen to me.
A clue! For me? You shouldn't have. All I need to know now is whether I win a prize too? ;)

mmmm...laymans terms: Mother refused to give up hope, made herself believe her daughter was fine as something this terrible just couldn't happen to me.

What was said and what was heard can be two entirely different things. I'm seeing examples right here, people read a news article and their brain goes one way when the story goes another.

Her Mom & sister were on Greta & they were totally convinced she was coming home & ok. Did you happen to watch it?

Doubtful it was nothing or false hopes. A Mom normally would have her guard up. At least I would & LE would have to have some very important facts to change my mind that she was fine & ok. I'd be beyond & a total basket case.......could be from reading here.

Ang I'd be OUT OF MY MIND also. LE haven't said a thing to calm the public. I'd be scared to death to have any family in school or around Madison now. Public should be screaming.......

Suddenly Searching,
You can also look at how many college students 'males' that have suddenly drowned after a night of partying & leaving a bar in Wi.
It is very scarey to say the least.

That entire area up there- Lake Michigan, Half Moon Lake, the Mississippi River, the Ohio, the Red Cedar - the list goes on and on. I still don't understand how LE can attribute them simply to intoxicated drowning accidents.

Now my replies:

1) As to this strategy, it is not particularly publicly responsible. "No suspects" to the general public means "We have no idea." Most police PR in this situation will say state that there is no reason for the general public to fear. Madison LE has not said this.

LE saying "no suspects" does NOT mean "we have no idea". That is merely YOUR interpretation of it.

A Mom normally would have her guard up. At least I would & LE would have to have some very important facts to change my mind that she was fine & ok. I'd be beyond & a total basket case.......could be from reading here.

I think, if you look at what Whisky is saying, the latter part of the statement above is a more typical mindset of a victim's family than having your guard up for false hope and as such, a statement or statements as simple as...say...'we have cell phone activity' (example only - not an official statement)...post-disappearance would be the only "significant pieces of information" needed to give hope that she was still alive. It's unlikely LE would 'correct' her & the public would/could/did come to the wrong conclusion due to the lifestyle focus coverage of the case by the media & the casual attitude towards the case presented by investigators through the media.

Looking back, LE didn't say anything positive...or anything at all...and Mary Nolan had this to say in regards to the 'positive' news:

=======================================================
"There is a lot of information that brings a smile today instead of sobbing tears as I feel Kelly is out there, and she can and will be returned safely," she said. "We have all the individuals who were with Kelly throughout the evening. We are still working on the last piece, but we have a lot of people all sharing where they saw her last. We just don't know who the last person was or she'd be here right now."
=======================================================

Although just speculation, looking back, that isn't quite as positive as one might think.

So what is it a random spot or chosen because the perp knew there would be odor and hoped it would be mistaken for the horse stall smell. Making the perp very familiar with the area. And was she on the side of the road leading away from town or on the opposite side.

Interesting theory, but isn't very practicle. You want us to believe that the suspect chose this spot because when the body began to smell it would blend in with the horse stables, yet the body was only 20 feet off the road??? Intelligence contradicts itself there.

Which side of the road, heading in or out of town means little to nothing. Whether the suspect left the body on the way out of town, or drove out of town to dispose of it, the suspect was most likely in panic mode, hence the body only being 20 feet from the roadside.

What I would like to see is everyone think objectively, not get caught up in the hype and sensationalize anything.

Here is a humorous example: This morning I ate a donut with a coconut frosting and chocolate over it. Most people would look at it and think that donuts are nothing but fat and sugar. Others might think the following: Coconut is from the fruit and vegetables group, milk is in chocolate and that is the dairy group, and flour is in the dough to make the donut, and that's in the bread group! Understand that this is a humorous example, but not everything is as it appears...

LE saying "no suspects" does NOT mean "we have no idea". That is merely YOUR interpretation of it.

Hmmm...no. She is right. It IS the perception of the public, not her interpretation of it. Especially when DeSpain spews things like this:

"We have plenty of leads, but at this point, we don't have anyone under arrest and there is no one I know of who is a suspect," he says.

"I think it's always easiest if you can tell the public that this person was targeted for a specific reason, at this point, we don't know, and that does, I know, raise the concern level in the community more," DeSpain says.

http://www.nbc15.com/home/headlines/8441787.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member