WI WI - Kelly Nolan, 22, Madison, 23 June 2007 #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
What I would like to see is everyone think objectively, not get caught up in the hype and sensationalize anything.

Here is a humorous example: This morning I ate a donut with a coconut frosting and chocolate over it. Most people would look at it and think that donuts are nothing but fat and sugar. Others might think the following: Coconut is from the fruit and vegetables group, milk is in chocolate and that is the dairy group, and flour is in the dough to make the donut, and that's in the bread group! Understand that this is a humorous example, but not everything is as it appears...

Most people would indeed look at it as a donut...but many of those same people would begin to question when told that there is no indication that it really is a donut despite the coconut frosting and chocolate all over it...by someone who they trust/is in a profession that "most people" are brought up to respect...regardless of the motivation behind the deception.

It's not unreasonable, nor should it be unexpected, that "others" begin to say...wait a minute.

Something to think about.

Suddenly Searching,
You can also look at how many college students 'males' that have suddenly drowned after a night of partying & leaving a bar in Wi.
It is very scarey to say the least.

How many young men leave the bar and go swimming? Alone?

Usually you would go get something to eat and then go to bed...

mmmm...laymans terms: Mother refused to give up hope, made herself believe her daughter was fine as something this terrible just couldn't happen to me.

What was said and what was heard can be two entirely different things. I'm seeing examples right here, people read a news article and their brain goes one way when the story goes another.

I am just guessing but I was thinking that her cell phone was still active. Now reading about that , it could have meant either it was still in use sending calls or receiving calls or still pinging. Would it still do that after the battery is dead? I do not know that.

I am just guessing but I was thinking that her cell phone was still active. Now reading about that , it could have meant either it was still in use sending calls or receiving calls or still pinging. Would it still do that after the battery is dead? I do not know that.

From what I recall with the Kelsey Smith case - there were only a certain number of pings... so it seems to me that once the battery is dead or the cell phone is shut off , it no longer pings.

Investigators late Tuesday identified the body found Monday in oregon as Kelly Nolan.

A team of experts on the scene Tuesday, including a forensic entomologist helped determine a timeline of the death by studying insects around the body.

A forensic dentist and an anthropologist also helped I-D the body as Kelly Nolan. The Coroner will not yet release a cause of death until more tests are completed.

A team of police officers searched a grassy area on their hands and knees near where the body was found for any evidence.

http://wkow.madison.com/News/index.php?ID=13075

with their hearts breaking.

I pray they get this guy very soon.

What I would like to see is everyone think objectively, not get caught up in the hype and sensationalize anything.

Here is a humorous example: This morning I ate a donut with a coconut frosting and chocolate over it. Most people would look at it and think that donuts are nothing but fat and sugar. Others might think the following: Coconut is from the fruit and vegetables group, milk is in chocolate and that is the dairy group, and flour is in the dough to make the donut, and that's in the bread group! Understand that this is a humorous example, but not everything is as it appears...

Easy to analyze the whole thing when you're the one holding the donut.

If you're instead outside the donut shop (no offense to LE...) with your nose pressed against the glass, it's a lot harder to see the whole picture.

Easy to analyze the whole thing when you're the one holding the donut.

If you're instead outside the donut shop (no offense to LE...) with your nose pressed against the glass, it's a lot harder to see the whole picture.

True...the coconut could be sprinkles and the chocolate could be caramel. The donut might be made with low fat products, sugar-free items, and wheat germ or it could be plastic, therefore, not a real donut at all. Now, can we analyze the "walks like a duck" theory?

I worked for a cell phone company a few years back and here's what I remember from training regarding pings and coverage. If the battery is dead, you will get nothing. When you travel, you move from tower to tower. Every time you move out of range from one tower and get into the range of the next tower, it pings the new tower to get reception. The reason you have "dead areas" for cell coverage is because the range of the towers dont quite meet and overlap, so you have no tower to get your service from. Hmm did I explain that right or just confuse (even myself) ya?

Well, working backwards... what we do know....

If Cafeguy is telling the truth, then I think it's a fairly safe assumption at this time that the "friend" was the one who killed Kelly.

What would this "friend" look like? He would have to be college age, which rules out this serial killer that was never found 20 years ago. I don't think Cafeguy would have bought the friend story from some old dude.

If he's college age - he's busy blending into the crowd at the bars even now.

Why would he have to be college age? He could have been an authority figure the cafe guy would have trusted. "Friend" could have meant..."friend of the family", "friend as in boss type figure", "friend as in apt. manager", etc. I would think Cafe guy would have least trusted a college age male student to safely take care of a young, intoxicated female. If he cared about her safety enough to walk her home in the first place...why would he hand her to a guy that might only want to take advantage of her being in that state?

Cell Phones Often Aid Investigations
MADISON, Wis. -
The use of cell phone tracking to find a body believed to be that of a missing college student in rural Wisconsin highlights an increasingly important law enforcement tool.
Authorities are reading cell phone signals to find terrorists, missing people in remote areas, to track fugitives and to place suspects near crime scenes, experts say.
"The average citizen is not aware that they are carrying a location-tracking device in their pocket," said Kevin Bankston, a lawyer for the Electronic Frontier Foundation, a San Francisco-based group that works to preserve privacy rights.
Without providing specifics, Madison police say cell phone technology is what prompted authorities to search a 3-square mile rural area 10 miles south of Madison on Monday where they discovered the body of Kelly Nolan, 22.
The technology allowed investigators to track Nolan's movements after she vanished early June 23 after a night out in downtown Madison. Police Chief Noble Wray said numerous other locations, most of them in the city, were also searched. Police won't say whether they recovered her phone at the scene.
"We have been tracking by use of cell phone technology in a number of different locations," Wray said. "I will not get into the investigative techniques involved because we'd like to use it again."
When they are turned on, cell phones constantly emit locator signals called pings so their companies know to which towers to route phone calls, Bankston said.
Investigators can obtain logs from wireless companies containing such data to track people's movements, he said. In urban settings with many towers, the location can be narrowed down greatly - to within blocks. In more rural settings with fewer towers, a more general location can be established.
Most new phones also contain Global Positioning System chips that communicate with satellites, allowing authorities to pinpoint a precise location of the handset. The chips are one way companies can comply with federal rules designed to give emergency dispatchers more information on the location of cell phone callers.
Just how often law enforcement has used the technology to track down a body or help solve a crime was not available, mostly because agencies are reluctant to discuss their investigative tools.

http://www.forbes.com/feeds/ap/2007/07/12/ap3909256.html

Why would he have to be college age? He could have been an authority figure the cafe guy would have trusted. "Friend" could have meant..."friend of the family", "friend as in boss type figure", "friend as in apt. manager", etc.

Good point, Seriously. Maybe cafe guy is a really nice guy and was helping her get home out a feeling of obligation, and when someone else seemed to know Kelly better than he did, cafe guy felt like letting her go with "the friend" was a good idea.

I live in Wisconsin and I graduated from UW-Whitewater. I think sometimes people don't understand how BIG drinking is here. It's like a hobby. People don't just have a few too many. They get absolutely obliterated and it's accepted. TONS of people get OWI's/DWI's. I absolutely feel for Kelly and her family but I can't help but wonder what part alcohol played. No one, in any way shape or form, drunk or sober, deserves what happened to her.

I live in Wisconsin and I graduated from UW-Whitewater. I think sometimes people don't understand how BIG drinking is here. It's like a hobby. People don't just have a few too many. They get absolutely obliterated and it's accepted. TONS of people get OWI's/DWI's. I absolutely feel for Kelly and her family but I can't help but wonder what part alcohol played. No one, in any way shape or form, drunk or sober, deserves what happened to her.

I second that. Its completely socially acceptable, and basically expected of you. To see somebody so drunk they couldn't stand would hardly raise an eyebrow. Just as in Lacrosse going to the river when youre drunk wouldn't raise an eyebrow. There really isn't much else to do in LaCrosse, drink or hang out by the park on the river... or both at once. If I remember correctly, there are even benches to sit at?
Google Mifflin Street the annual drunk fest of 15,000 to 25,000. Didn't she live on Mifflin street? They aren't drinking soda....
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:Mifflin_Street_Block_Party.png

It ain't just Wisconsin, or UW-Whitewater. Twenty years ago, my friends and I & used to get absolutely blotto every weekend too, and this was no where NEAR Wisconsin. It's everywhere, and it has been for a very, very long time. Many college-aged kids do some really, really stupid things (me included). They just don't realize how absolutely vulnerable it makes you when you're crap-faced drunk.

No I understand a lot of college kids do this in other places. I actually went to another "party" school, that even made it on the Playboy Top Ten Party Schools list that was in a different state. I am not originally from Wisconsin either. I have lived and traveled extensively. Wisconsin is different. Walworth County has the highest or one of the highest drunk driving stats in the state. You can't buy alcohol past 8:45 pm here because it's so BAD. And it's just not college kids, IT'S PRACTICALLY EVERYONE!!! Wisconsin actually has a law that lets parents bring their underage children with them to the bar and allows them to drink as long as they are with Mom or Dad. Each establishment can abide by this or not. Where I used to work, we didn't. You would not believe the amount of parents who were angry that I wouldn't give their 14 year old a daquiri.

I worked for a cell phone company a few years back and here's what I remember from training regarding pings and coverage. If the battery is dead, you will get nothing. When you travel, you move from tower to tower. Every time you move out of range from one tower and get into the range of the next tower, it pings the new tower to get reception. The reason you have "dead areas" for cell coverage is because the range of the towers dont quite meet and overlap, so you have no tower to get your service from. Hmm did I explain that right or just confuse (even myself) ya?

Hi LaWanda - this is very helpful. What I was trying to figure out before is if the phone pings even if it's on but just being carried (i.e. not talking). And second, if they can do the pings to see what towers had been pinged on a previous day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lululemonsleuth