Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #41

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe you could sew a pocket onto the mouth/skin side of your mask for filter insertion.

Yes, that was my original thought was to make a frame where it would hold a replaceable homemade cutout of my vaccum cleaner bag HEPA filter material. That way I could keep the frame and just slide in new inserts whenever they get too used.

The problem I am having is trying to figure out a good frame. Those patterns look perfect so I may have to take a crash course in sewing. LOL

World News Tonight@ABCWorldNews

"Pres. Trump on Queen's Elmhurst Hospital, hard-hit by the coronavirus outbreak: "I watched the doctors and the nurses walking into that hospital this morning—it's like military people going into battle...the bravery is incredible."

A pandemic of the novel coronavirus has infected more than 850,000 people around the world.

Over 176,000 of those patients have recovered from the the new respiratory virus, which causes an illness known officially as COVID-19.

More than 41,000 people across the globe have died, according to data compiled by the Center for Systems Science and Engineering at Johns Hopkins University.

With more than 184,000 diagnosed COVID-19 cases, the United States has by far the highest national tally in the world, according to the Johns Hopkins data.

The U.S. has now lost 3,721 lives from the virus, surpassing the death toll in Hubei, China, the province where the virus first emerged in December.

World News Tonight on Twitter

Coronavirus live updates: Need to prepare for 'battle' at the apex, Cuomo says

This is an example of the Vacuum cleaner HEPA filter bags and notice this 0.3 micron size limit which is exactly what the N95's claim.

"Removes 99.97% of all airborne particles as small as 0.3 microns in size "

If this works, then the next shortage will be Vacuum cleaner replacement bags :)

https://www.amazon.com/Hoover-Type-HEPA-Filter-bags/dp/B00QPHDBC6

I don't agree, because the manufacturers that have to retool are estimating 100 days. How can we promise to send ventilators all over Europe when our own citizens are dying without them? How can anyone estimate what surplus might exist in 100 days?
Trump says US to send medical supplies to Italy, France, Spain - France 24

As Governors Plead for Tests, Trump Promises Ventilators to Europe

I don’t need to read a journalist’s opinion when I can listen to the nationally televised question and answer that was about excess capacity. I don’t know where you heard 100 days since my clients are doing it already. Tesla has already delivered ventilators to CA and NY. The actual quote - which is available for you to watch live - asked what we were going to do if the US made too many ventilators.

Do you seriously think GM and Ford are going to send ventilators abroad before sending them to US hospitals? Genuinely - do you think American companies are going to do that? Because that’s what twisting this quote to fit a particular political agenda means.

Well, there are additional county restrictions on top of the state restrictions in New Hanover County in North Carolina. Some of them I don't agree with. You can no longer go inside of a restaurant to place a to go order since inside dining is no longer allowed. Curb side pickup or delivery only. That means truckers who can not go through drive thrus are having a heck of a time getting lunch. If you have a work truck that will not fit under a drive thru canopy and you can't call in an order for pickup, like a Hardees, McDonalds, Arbys etc. You can't order the food.
Another thing, you can use the parks for walking but the restrooms are closed.
Another thing, since the beaches are closed, you can't go just sit on the beach and relax for some fresh air. I decided to go and buy a folding lounge chair so that I could at least sit in my backyard. All of my old chairs were destroyed during the last two hurricanes. I found that stores that sell essential needs as well as not essential needs are not allowed to sell the nonessential need items. Walmart closed off the nonessential aisles and you could not buy those items, although you are practicing social distancing. You are only allowed to buy the essential items.....

regarding fast food and restaurants being curbside pickup only. That’s basically how it is in my area right now too, and has been for a couple weeks. You call ahead and they’ll bring it out to you. I know McDonald’s has an app where you can order food and they will bring it outside to you. They’ve had the app since before the virus.

Unfortunately, pretty much everything is an inconvenience for everyone right now. But takeout has actually been one of the things that isn’t a huge issue IMO.

SOUTH CAROLINA (apologies if already posted)

The governor (McMaster) is closing businesses in three categories for 15 days beginning Wednesday, April 1 per his executive order:

Entertainment – bowling alleys, night clubs, arcades, concert halls, theaters, auditoriums, performing arts centers, tourist attractions including museums, racetracks , indoor children play areas (excluding daycares), adult entertainment venues, bingo halls, venues operated by social clubs

Athletic facilities and activities – fitness centers and gyms, spas and public pools, spectator sports, events that require shared sporting equipment, public playground equipment

Close contact service providers – barber shops, hair salons, waxing salons, nail salons, spas, body art facilities, tattoo parlors, tanning salons, massage therapy

“The virus is still spreading and still growing,” McMaster said. “We have to do everything we can... but not go too far and destroy businesses and jobs people are depending on.”

He added: “The bare minimum will close.”

S.C. governor closes all non-essential businesses to help fight spread of coronavirus as cases rise

Guess it's better than nothing - only 2 weeks and "the bare minimum will close." Still no stay-at-home order. o_O Up to 1,083 cases and 22 deaths.

Last edited:
Hi guys hope this is ok to ask here but I’m in the UK and my partner works for a small business, he started with a persistent cough and body aches last Tuesday and stayed off work last week. Every single day his boss rang to see if he was going in and yesterday he said ‘you’ll be fine once you’re here’ he’s told them he’s been advised to self isolate for 14 days but they don’t seem to be taking this very seriously. He’s just gone in still coughing, sneezing and headache, I told him to just stay at home but he’s worried his boss will end up replacing him. I have a weakened immune system and almost died from septic shock we also have 3 young children and I’m worried we are all going to be at risk now he’s going to and from work. Could they actually get rid of him if he’s self isolating I’m so worried! Thank you
So, so sorry to hear this! You guys are the kind of people I worry about. I don't know about UK (I think you're there?) but can you report it to the National Health Svc? Here it would be the public health dept. or OSHA. Yes, he'd probably still lose his job, but at least, hopefully, he'd be fined/in trouble for his business practices. I know this is idealistic and it may not work out this way in RL, but I pray you'll figure it out and your family will be ok. Praying!!

Yes, that was my original thought was to make a frame where it would hold a replaceable homemade cutout of my vaccum cleaner bag HEPA filter material. That way I could keep the frame and just slide in new inserts whenever they get too used.

The problem I am having is trying to figure out a good frame. Those patterns look perfect so I may have to take a crash course in sewing. LOL
I couldn't load the simple illustration I have, so I found some scattered photos for ideas. Hope they help.
photo of filter insertion into mask - بحث Google:

Walmart closed off the nonessential aisles and you could not buy those items, although you are practicing social distancing. You are only allowed to buy the essential items.....

I didn't realize that stores were going to that extent to enforce the "essential items." My trip to Wal-Mart last week, I started to buy my Grandson some underwear, is that essential, lol?

Once again, @CeeCeeCat , thank you for the awesome reminder to be grateful with your gratitude list!

I’m all caught up again - good morning everyone.

Yesterday morning I received a parcel of strawberry plants - I’m constantly amazed at how grateful I am to receive things I ordered way before the word ‘coronavirus’ became part of my regular vocabulary. So I’ve spent a couple of hours in the garden assisted by the cats, planting these, planting my cucumber seedlings and repotting the tomato seedlings. I mention this as for that brief time, I was focused on something other than the unrelentingly grim real world. The sun was shining, the air smelt so clean and fresh - it was bliss.
So at the top of today’s gratitude list - my teeny tiny garden and the fruits and veggies I am growing there.

Stay safe today, Sleuthers - especially those of you having to head out ❤️

I've just read about this. I mean, it's both genius and grim all at the same time.

The ice arena at one of our state universities is identified as a morgue for the county, should it be needed. The university recruits nationally and in Canada for its highly competitive NCAA hockey team. I hope it doesn't come to this.

This is an example of the Vacuum cleaner HEPA filter bags and notice this 0.3 micron size limit which is exactly what the N95's claim.

"Removes 99.97% of all airborne particles as small as 0.3 microns in size "

If this works, then the next shortage will be Vacuum cleaner replacement bags :)

https://www.amazon.com/Hoover-Type-HEPA-Filter-bags/dp/B00QPHDBC6
Ha. Righto. I already ordered some vacuum cleaner bags when I read about them earlier. They supposedly do filter well, but the issue with them is breathability. The website I was reading from therefore recommended plain old cotton tee shirt material. A mask is no good if you have to keep pulling it down to breathe. JMO

Nice pattern , thx. I'll use this.
You can search Olson mask on YouTube for a tutorial. I have tweaked the pattern a bit to make sure it fits everyone. And I also added a top stitch around the top and bottom of the mask so it holds its shape better when washed. Some people are also adding a bit of interfacing as a filter and to hold its shape.

there's a lot of older people who don't/can't online shop
Years ago I got my now 86 year old mom interested in FaceBook. She loves it. Then I convinced her to finally replace her old desktop computer with an iMac/laptop, complete with lessons from me and Apple. She's a whizz now and just yesterday was telling me how proud she was of herself for figuring out how to order her groceries online. I'm more than grateful I pushed her out of her comfort zone back then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eric.joel.rondo.sanchez