Found Deceased CO - Maggie Long, 17, suspicious house fire, Bailey, 1 Dec 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Will there ever be justice for Maggie?

Statistically, I know that each passing day lessens the chance. At the same time, this case seems solvable:

- Up to four people were directly involved in the crime. Though criminals may pledge life long secrecy and loyalty, such pledges are rarely kept. Hopefully somebody will talk. There are no indications that the suspects would have unusually strong social, family or ethnic ties to each other that would make secrecy pledges more likely to be kept.

- The totality seems to suggest a meeting that escalated into a targeted attack on Maggie as the specific target or on Maggie as an "acceptable" alternative to the intended target.

A targeted motive increases the odds of the family being able to provide information on motives and if possible, suspects that may of been willing to harm Maggie or the family in general.

Still no oblivious movement on this case. I hoped this case would be a priority for the new sheriff , but seems like I was wrong. Just making a post to keep the thread active. Somebody knows something!

Although I’m not quite thru the whole thread yet, I am wondering:

Where did they get the descriptions of the suspects?

Was the Tenant hiding? How did they not find the Tenant? His car was there.

How did the tenant get out safely?

Was there a keycode on the front gate?

It seems odd that three cars are suspected to be a part of this. I am wondering if perhaps they found three different tire tracks?

Do any of the 3 sketches match the sketch they were originally passing around? Because WLN basically confirmed that was a sketch of the tenant. Which also seems weird because the sheriff later said the sketch was of the van/BOLO guy, but we know that the tenant was at the house when the police arrived, so he couldn't have been the van/BOLO guy (unless he left and came back, which seems unlikely).

Did we ever get full clarity on whether the tenant (aka RP) actually said the family who owned the home was violent/involved in what he was hearing or whether that was just a garble? WLN suggests it was just a garble, but it's in more recent articles as well. (He chimed into the thread confused as to why folks were reading his article as support for the idea the tenant recognized the voices involved and then said he was just quoting the fire/PD communications directly and that was a garble.)

Did we ever find out why there was a gag order in effect in the first place? Really strange. Everyone said how unusual it was, but then none of the proffered explanations for why it may have happened proved true. It's main effect was to delay the correction about ML's body being found for about a week.

I would love to hear from the local (zchick or something?) who knew about the 911 call from the tenant before it hit MSM. Does he still think the tenant is 100% innocent? Because purely in terms of optics, a tenant moving in 2 weeks before what appears to be an inside job burglary and then disappearing from the town doesn't look... great. Also, why did he think that ML's dad was working at the liquor store the next day (or does he still think that?), when someone else said that wasn't true (and, frankly, it seems unlikely).

Wish Walter L. Newton, Editor, The Flume, would make an appearance here and give us an update.

5776e8761eeeb.image.jpg

The Flume hires Walter L. Newton as new editor

Just came across this case and am absolutely horrified to think that this 17 year old girl was burned alive!
These perps have to be found, hoping that the reward increased to $75 k gets some response.
Dec 1 2020 rbbm.
Maggie Long murder case: Reward increased to $75,000 | 9news.com
''BAILEY, Colo. — It's been three years since 17-year-old Maggie Long was killed inside her Bailey home, and the family has now increased the reward to $75,000 in hopes of generating new leads.

The previous reward was $50,0000.''

''Investigators said they believe at least three men, and possibly a fourth suspect, were involved in a break-in. They stole jade figurines, a green safe, a 9 mm pistol, an AK-47-style rifle and 2,000 rounds of ammunition, investigators said. The men then set a fire that damaged the home along County Road 43 and burned Long alive, according to investigators.''

Just came across this case and am absolutely horrified to think that this 17 year old girl was burned alive!
These perps have to be found, hoping that the reward increased to $75 k gets some response.
Dec 1 2020 rbbm.
''BAILEY, Colo. — It's been three years since 17-year-old Maggie Long was killed inside her Bailey home, and the family has now increased the reward to $75,000 in hopes of generating new leads.

''Investigators said they believe at least three men, and possibly a fourth suspect, were involved in a break-in. They stole jade figurines, a green safe, a 9 mm pistol, an AK-47-style rifle and 2,000 rounds of ammunition, investigators said. The men then set a fire that damaged the home along County Road 43 and burned Long alive, according to investigators.''

Hi @dotr,

Thanks for the post. It reminded me that quite recently, there was case that reminded me of Maggie’s, perhaps it had to do with a fire and possibly multiple perps? Iirc, I googled the distance, and the distance was far enough that I dismissed it. I can’t remember what it was, and it’s likely unrelated, but your post reminded me of it again. Gah, wish I could remember now. I know you, and you will try to google it, because you are always a great tag team partner (hey get your arse back the covid thread, just kidding, don’t blame ya for layin low), honestly I can’t remember a single thing about it.

Hi @dotr,

Thanks for the post. It reminded me that quite recently, there was case that reminded me of Maggie’s, perhaps it had to do with a fire and possibly multiple perps? Iirc, I googled the distance, and the distance was far enough that I dismissed it. I can’t remember what it was, and it’s likely unrelated, but your post reminded me of it again. Gah, wish I could remember now. I know you, and you will try to google it, because you are always a great tag team partner (hey get your arse back the covid thread, just kidding, don’t blame ya for layin low), honestly I can’t remember a single thing about it.
Wondering if you are thinking about this case (and the many others in the same area) in Ontario, Canada?
One elderly woman was tied to a pole in the basement and her house set on fire, neighbours heard her cries for help but could not reach her, my goodness-the heavens could weep.

CANADA - Canada - Livia Beirnes, 76, tied to pole, died in house fire, Ontario, 4 Aug 2010 *new initiative*

Chock-full of links within link concerning arson and homicide..
03 August 2019
Arson and Arson-Associated Homicides
''In this chapter, the ways in which conditions may influence the ways police attempt to solve complex arson and arson-associated homicides (AAHs) are examined. This analysis uses data from the Foul Play Project (FPP) to evaluate the ways in which factors such as media coverage of AAHs and copycat crimes can alter the likelihood that the police, fire department personnel, and others view these incidents as AAHs. This chapter also analyzes the prevalence of arson and AAHs, perpetrators’ demographic and psychosocial characteristics and motivations, and the relationship between offenders and victims. In addition, the traumatic impact of these AAHs is assessed. The FPP uses a random sample of 5,366 cases involving possible foul play that were reported in the media.''

Chock-full of links within link concerning arson and homicide..
03 August 2019
''In this chapter, the ways in which conditions may influence the ways police attempt to solve complex arson and arson-associated homicides (AAHs) are examined. This analysis uses data from the Foul Play Project (FPP) to evaluate the ways in which factors such as media coverage of AAHs and copycat crimes can alter the likelihood that the police, fire department personnel, and others view these incidents as AAHs. This chapter also analyzes the prevalence of arson and AAHs, perpetrators’ demographic and psychosocial characteristics and motivations, and the relationship between offenders and victims. In addition, the traumatic impact of these AAHs is assessed. The FPP uses a random sample of 5,366 cases involving possible foul play that were reported in the media.''

Dear @dotr,

Thank you for this, I have bookmarked it and added it to the WS Databases and Resources subform here:

Upon an initial cursory quick scan, coincidentally it reminds me of something unrelated I was just posting about earlier this morning, asking if there was an update in the Flora Fire case.

Not related, but interesting, from the above link:

“In St. Paul, five children were killed by a firebomb intended to intimidate their older brother who had seen a gang murder. And in Los Angeles, 10 people were killed when gang members tossed a firebomb into a crowded apartment building.

The three incidents are part of a small but worrisome pattern of youthful gangs turning to firebombs as a new weapon of terror, police around the country say. In the last two years, the police in at least 15 cities have reported gang-related arson attacks against people.

"We classify this as urban terrorism," said Sgt. Rick Wiley of the Philadelphia Police Department. "The weapon of choice for some gangs is becoming the Molotov cocktail."

You have provided an excellent resource going forward for not only this case, but others.

You rock, @dotr!

What are the details on the cause/specifics of fire/ what was the incendiary here in this case? Need to go back to the beginning. Maggie’s case is one in which I mostly lurked, and followed from a distance, plus it has now been 3 years.

Dec 1 2020 rbbm.

Taking this in that, wow it is the 3 year anniversary...

Who did this to you, Maggie?

Eta: We need a media thread, doing that now.

Last edited:
3 years...and no resolution. Who did this? There seems to be no word from investigators. Hope they know something we don’t. I drive by the Long ranch often, and still wonder if this will ever be solved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rockymountaingirl