Identified! Mystery couple murdered in South Carolina, 1976 - Pamela Buckley & James P Freund #8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe the 2 other SUNLENDING members can tell something about what was going on with Pamela at the time.
For the four guys in Sunlending, it's time to pack their guitars and synthesizers and hit the trail. Next stop: Boston.

"We're living in an adverse environment," said Ron Llear, 26, lead guitarist and singer for the band, which is scheduled to play Sunday at the Button South in Hallandale.

"Our influences have nothing to do with Caribbean music, Latin music, sun and fun, beach music or southern rock," said Rossi Kane, the group's manager. "We're a total enigma here."

Sunlending has all the right stuff to make a dent in the music biz. Llear; Tom Beier, 23, on keyboards; David Freedman, 23, on bass guitar; and Doug McCray, 24, on drums make it a point to do it their way.
MIAMI ROCKERS HEAD FOR BETTER ENVIRONMENT
It seems to me that this is not the same SUNLENDING band. The article is from 1986 and the members are between 23 and 26 years old. So, at the time of the SUNLENDING´s concerts where Pamela was featured they must have been 10 years aold or so.

That song's a blast from the past!

I've stumbled down several music-related blasts from the past since the info about Sunlending. From Mary Macgregor, Peter Yarrow (Peter, Paul & Mary), Henry John Deutschendorf, Jr. (better known as John Denver), to Starland Vocal Band (Afternoon Delight singers, lol) ... each one of these led to another. I haven't found Pamela listed on any recordings but backup singers were almost never mentioned during that time period. (We still wouldn't know some of them if they hadn't gone on to solo careers themselves.)

I hope those more knowledgeable will have additional info regarding any groups, bands, other artists Pam might have joined.

Pamela was in Sunlending in high school, but was she in it afterwards? Given that '71 and '76 are five years apart and that she was married and (almost) divorced in that time, it probably wasn't relevant to her life in the years preceding her death. Still, she seemed like a pretty cool chick with a lot of potential . I saw a current picture of her ex-husband, who went to the same high school as her. Total rocker guy, even now.

I also think they were on their knees and facing the road, when they were probably shot in the back. That would cause them to hunch forward and their chin towards their chests. Then they were shot in the back of the head, which would be why PB’s exit wound is in the throat. Then when they fell back, shot in the chest to make sure they were dead. I believe the murderer than could have checked their clothing to see if they had cash or anything on them and took off.

wouldn't they fall forward or to the side? I don't think they would fall backwards if on their knees and shot in the back, the neck, or the head

Sometimes I try to count the stars in the sky. I think there are two more of them there now. Well . . . . make that three. Two are shinning brightly and the other is smiling. Some stars only have initials and some are fake, like a linde star, but these stars are real and they have names.
Rest in peace Pamela Buckley.
Rest in peace James P Freund.
Thank you to all the ones that kept this case alive over all these years.
Thank you to the ones that came before.
Thank you to the ones yet to come.
Thank you to all the ones in between.
And thank you to the DNA Doe Project.
But most of all thank you to Verna Moore ( she's smiling. She knew before we did.)
This case has meant more to me by far than any other. It was close to home and one of my first memories. Lay me down beside still waters. I have a feeling of peacefulness. I think I'm gonna get outta here for awhile but all of you carry on and keep on sleuthing. It's kinda like counting stars, you know your never gonna get done and it makes your neck hurt but you can't help but to do it because your searching for that peacefulness. So until next time. Enjoy it. Life's short. Like a one word sentence. Peace.

rolled onto their backs and shot in the back? that doesn't make any sense

I made a typo, my mistake, i think that they were shot in the throat first, maybe they fell face down and in that instance, the killer shot them in the back and then the fatal shot to their heads. However, it was revealed that there wasn't a shot to their throats.

I’m so exhausted and irritated at this point.

The folk trio “Sunlending” played mostly in Minnesota, but also spent about a week in South Dakota, New Mexico and Colorado, at separate times. This was all between 1970 and 1972. Around 1977 is when newspaper articles started to spike...it was about a Mary MacGregor, who by most accounts became apart of Sunlending in 1974. I’m not sure if she replaced Pam or joined along side her. It may not make a difference, but could speak to when Pam left the trio.

Interestingly, Mary was born and raised in Minnesota and about the same age as Pam. She was 28 in 1977. Also, in 1977, Mary’s place of residence is listed as Steamboat Springs, Colorado.

7 May 1977, 22 - The Tribune at Newspapers.com

I’m so exhausted and irritated at this point.

The folk trio “Sunlending” played mostly in Minnesota, but also spent about a week in South Dakota, New Mexico and Colorado, at separate times. This was all between 1970 and 1972. Around 1977 is when newspaper articles started to spike...it was about a Mary MacGregor, who by most accounts became apart of Sunlending in 1974. I’m not sure if she replaced Pam or joined along side her. It may not make a difference, but could speak to when Pam left the trio.

Interestingly, Mary was born and raised in Minnesota and about the same age as Pam. She was 28 in 1977. Also, in 1977, Mary’s place of residence is listed as Steamboat Springs, Colorado.

7 May 1977, 22 - The Tribune at Newspapers.com
From the screenshots of your OP that I saved it looks like Pam was with Sunlending probably until she got married in 1972.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AMK