CANADA Canada - Jon Michael Riley, 47, Meaford ON, 26, Apr 2013

Jon was referenced in this very lengthy wiki entry as a possible victim of BM.
2010–2017 Toronto serial homicides - Wikipedia
last edited on 7 May 2019
"Waterloo Regional Police contacted Ontario's serial predator crime investigations coordinator to inquire about McArthur in the November 2002 disappearance of David MacDermott from downtown Kitchener.[145] Jon Riley of Meaford, Ontario, is another possible victim. He had gone to Toronto to find work in landscaping, planning to stay in a shelter at Church and Wellesley, and disappeared in May 2013.[146][147]"

Last edited:
Jon was referenced in this very lengthy wiki entry as a possible victim of BM.
2010–2017 Toronto serial homicides - Wikipedia
last edited on 7 May 2019
"Waterloo Regional Police contacted Ontario's serial predator crime investigations coordinator to inquire about McArthur in the November 2002 disappearance of David MacDermott from downtown Kitchener.[145] Jon Riley of Meaford, Ontario, is another possible victim. He had gone to Toronto to find work in landscaping, planning to stay in a shelter at Church and Wellesley, and disappeared in May 2013.[146][147]"
We have many reports from people in the Gay Village community who say Jon and BM frequented the same coffee shop, and hardware store. Jon also usually stayed at the same hostel where victim Dean stayed — The Y — bc that’s where more jobs are found. One person let us know that my brother was very vocal about being in Toronto for work and that BM was there at the coffee shop (Second Cup) at least once when Jon was there. However they were never seen speaking or interacting. If Jon is a victim of BM, we may never find out. We are holding onto hope that Jon is alive and that may sound ridiculous but we have no evidence that he is dead.

Last edited:
We have many reports from people in the Gay Village community who say Jon and BM frequented the same coffee shop, and hardware store. Jon also usually stayed at the same hostel where victim Dean stayed — The Y — bc that’s where more jobs are found. One person let us know that my brother was very vocal about being in Toronto for work and that BM was there at the coffee shop (Second Cup) at least once when Jon was there. However they were never seen speaking or interacting. If Jon is a victim of BM, we may never find out. We are holding onto hope that Jon is alive and that may sound ridiculous but we have no evidence that he is dead.
This case demonstrates that it it is not ridiculous to hope!
Flash of memory and DNA: Missing man found after 30 years

I don’t think Toronto police are interested in investigating BM further. I spoke with the lead investigator and I wish I had recorded the phone call. Oddly, when I went to Toronto earlier this year, BM confessed
on the day we arrived and on the day we left, he confessed. What a weird coincidence. I was thinking after a confession, we would have access to information they were guarding for the trial. The lead investigator said some odd things to me — for instance he said they never had my brother’s computer. I have emails from the Toronto sex crimes division that confirm they definitely had the computer and searched it for a connection with BM. He also said there were 9 folders on BM’s computer and each contained photos of a victim and were labeled with either a name or a number. One folder was labeled “Jo(h)n” (I don’t know the spelling) and he said that was man #9 who was confined when they arrested BM. I asked him if there were other photos on the computer and he said hundreds. I asked him why OPP asked me about my brother’s scar and did any of the photos look like my brother and he said that all of the men in the photos had been identified. I found that hard to believe.

I don’t think Toronto police are interested in investigating BM further. I spoke with the lead investigator and I wish I had recorded the phone call. Oddly, when I went to Toronto earlier this year, BM confessed
on the day we arrived and on the day we left, he confessed. What a weird coincidence. I was thinking after a confession, we would have access to information they were guarding for the trial. The lead investigator said some odd things to me — for instance he said they never had my brother’s computer. I have emails from the Toronto sex crimes division that confirm they definitely had the computer and searched it for a connection with BM. He also said there were 9 folders on BM’s computer and each contained photos of a victim and were labeled with either a name or a number. One folder was labeled “Jo(h)n” (I don’t know the spelling) and he said that was man #9 who was confined when they arrested BM. I asked him if there were other photos on the computer and he said hundreds. I asked him why OPP asked me about my brother’s scar and did any of the photos look like my brother and he said that all of the men in the photos had been identified. I found that hard to believe.
I meant to write that on the day we left he was sentenced — don’t know how to edit the post

No disrespect, but are you 100% sure that Jon was not gay? I just ask because my own brother is gay and took 35 yrs to come out with it.

No. But Nobody can say with 100% certainty unless they’ve actually met a partner or the person has told them. I don’t believe my brother would hide this from me if he was gay. I have no information to confirm he is gay.

Jon is not the “Mostly Harmless” hiker.

Just a heads up to everyone who contacts family and friends of the missing. To you, it’s a puzzle to solve. To us, we are missing a loved one. We wake up every day hoping today will bring news.

When you contact us, be sensitive. Introduce yourselves. We hear from a lot of quacks. Tell us where you’re coming from.

We are also just going about our day when a message will pop in. Any and all news jars us and takes us back to the moment we realized our loved one was actually missing.

Pls wrap your questions in empathy. If you think you have a lead, don’t flat out ask about scars or teeth. We know you’re immediately into a lead about a corpse. It sends us into panic. Include all information you have with the initial question. Don’t let the family wait for your response.

“Hi, I’m Shane and I’ve been following the search for your brother. I hope I am able to help. I’ve been hearing about a hiker in Forida blah blah blah. Some of the news coming out in this story is that the hiker has perfect teeth ... etc. Here is a link to the story. Here are some photos. Pls let me know if I can help you research to see if there’s any connection for your family.”

Also don’t say “I hope you find closure.” It’s better to let us know we hope you find your loved one soon. Yes, we want answers, but we don’t want closure. We want to find our lost person.

We appreciate all leads and all questions but be careful how you contact families.

Somehow i can still imagine Jon being drawn to the boats near Queen's Quay, imo.
4A67862800000578-5528219-Serial_killer_suspect_Bruce_McArthur_could_have_played_a_role_in-m-9_1521655484383.jpg

Canadian killer Bruce McArthur linked to eighth missing gay man | Daily Mail Online
Finding Jon Riley - Home | Facebook

Jon is not the “Mostly Harmless” hiker.

Just a heads up to everyone who contacts family and friends of the missing. To you, it’s a puzzle to solve. To us, we are missing a loved one. We wake up every day hoping today will bring news.

When you contact us, be sensitive. Introduce yourselves. We hear from a lot of quacks. Tell us where you’re coming from.

We are also just going about our day when a message will pop in. Any and all news jars us and takes us back to the moment we realized our loved one was actually missing.

Pls wrap your questions in empathy. If you think you have a lead, don’t flat out ask about scars or teeth. We know you’re immediately into a lead about a corpse. It sends us into panic. Include all information you have with the initial question. Don’t let the family wait for your response.

“Hi, I’m Shane and I’ve been following the search for your brother. I hope I am able to help. I’ve been hearing about a hiker in Forida blah blah blah. Some of the news coming out in this story is that the hiker has perfect teeth ... etc. Here is a link to the story. Here are some photos. Pls let me know if I can help you research to see if there’s any connection for your family.”

Also don’t say “I hope you find closure.” It’s better to let us know we hope you find your loved one soon. Yes, we want answers, but we don’t want closure. We want to find our lost person.

We appreciate all leads and all questions but be careful how you contact families.

Great advice. This is really helpful. But, to the extent you can, please be patient with us. "We" often don't know how to approach family members. "We" will make mistakes and often be unknowingly tactless.

I'm sorry you have to go through this. I can't imagine what it is like. (Hence I will likely put my foot in my mouth even though I am trying to show that I care.)

I am so discouraged that you still haven't found Michael. I hope he comes home safely to rejoin you and the rest of his loved ones.

we appreciate so much that people are looking and searching and trying to make connections. When it comes to my brother and any news, I am gutted instantly. We have zero clues. Some sightings in Gay Village, but nothing concrete. I have a good feeling that with this Panel's latest findings that all missing persons cases will have new eyes on them and maybe actually investigated?

QUOTE="Snoopster, post: 16658610, member: 54439"]Great advice. This is really helpful. But, to the extent you can, please be patient with us. "We" often don't know how to approach family members. "We" will make mistakes and often be unknowingly tactless.

I'm sorry you have to go through this. I can't imagine what it is like. (Hence I will likely put my foot in my mouth even though I am trying to show that I care.)

I am so discouraged that you still haven't found Michael. I hope he comes home safely to rejoin you and the rest of his loved ones.[/QUOTE]

Nov 5, 2014
''Missing: JONATHAN MICHAEL RILEY D.O.B.: July 3, 1966 Date reported missing: December 10, 2013 Last seen: On or about May 1, 2013 Location: Meaford, Ontario Contact to report tips: Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) 1-888-310-1122 or Grey County OPP 519-794-7827 (dispatch centre) “Mom gone to Toronto for a couple of days. Got my GST.” That was the last note Jon Riley wrote to anyone before disappearing more than a year ago. When Riley didn’t return after a couple of days, his mother was not alarmed, assuming he had decided to stay in Toronto. It was his younger sister Judi who realized something was wrong when she didn’t get her regular emails from her brother. She said she had a family friend living in Toronto file the missing person report through Toronto’s 22 Division.''

Lengthy article.
Aug 18 2021 by Samantha Beattie
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/jon-riley-missing-person-ontario-1.6138602
''For nearly a decade, Judi Riley says she's been relentlessly pushing for Ontario police to take the disappearance of her brother Jon seriously — repeatedly offering to submit her DNA to help with the investigation, or at least sit down to share what she knows.''

"We had an amazing bond," said Riley, describing Jon as "the quintessential typical big brother, the jokester" who stepped in as the family's empathetic patriarch when their father died when they were both in their 20s.''

''It wasn't until this summer — eight years after Jon's disappearance — that the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) agreed to assign detectives with its criminal investigations branch to review his case, according to an OPP email sent to Riley on July 23 and seen by CBC News.

The decision came after retired court of appeal judge Gloria Epstein intervened in April, sending a letter to the OPP and the Toronto Police Service, asking they consider and respond to Riley's concerns — a request confirmed in the email.''

''Riley said she hopes this conversation with police marks a turning point and that one day she will find her brother.

"I've been crying in a cave, in the dark, calling out," she said. "My brother needs me. I need to find him. But … everything will happen in time."

Already got two tips this morning from the article. Neither were Jon but every time a story circulates with his photo, more ppl look. I think that’s how we will find him in the end.

Lengthy article.
Aug 18 2021 by Samantha Beattie
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/jon-riley-missing-person-ontario-1.6138602
''For nearly a decade, Judi Riley says she's been relentlessly pushing for Ontario police to take the disappearance of her brother Jon seriously — repeatedly offering to submit her DNA to help with the investigation, or at least sit down to share what she knows.''

"We had an amazing bond," said Riley, describing Jon as "the quintessential typical big brother, the jokester" who stepped in as the family's empathetic patriarch when their father died when they were both in their 20s.''

''It wasn't until this summer — eight years after Jon's disappearance — that the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) agreed to assign detectives with its criminal investigations branch to review his case, according to an OPP email sent to Riley on July 23 and seen by CBC News.

The decision came after retired court of appeal judge Gloria Epstein intervened in April, sending a letter to the OPP and the Toronto Police Service, asking they consider and respond to Riley's concerns — a request confirmed in the email.''

''Riley said she hopes this conversation with police marks a turning point and that one day she will find her brother.

"I've been crying in a cave, in the dark, calling out," she said. "My brother needs me. I need to find him. But … everything will happen in time."

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xobehtedistuO
Back