Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Homeowner 50% Contractor 50%

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • Homeowner 90% Contractor 10%

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • Other

Votes: 3 2.4%

• Total voters
Definitely the homeowner and the 10% offer was very generous of him. The contractor is IMO a whining crybaby and should shut his mouth up quite fast, because nobody is going to want him to work for them anymore if he takes this further. What if he finds or 'finds' something on their property... nobody'll want to run the risk. He probably overpriced the job anyway. It's common practice amongst contractors.

My guess is, opinions would change based on whether you were the homeowner, the contractor or the daughter of the guy whose money it was.

I remember finding a huge roll of bills stuffed in the side of the school building. Like a good girl (an IDIOT) I took the bills, obviously drug money, to the office and said if no one claimed it in 60 days, I'd like to keep it.

In 60 days, no one remembered I had ever taken any money in there so it "must have been claimed."

B.S.

I only give back to the person who it belongs to now. (And if it's impossible to find this person, it's mine.)

Glitch sorry about your experience.

I saw an article that the guy who left it there had no children or heirs. The homeowner did try to locate them.

I think the decent thing to do would be to split it 50/50. The homeowner wouldn't have found the money without him doing the work and the contractor certainly could have kept his mouth shut and kept it all for himself. I don't know what the legal precedent would be but I think they should do anyway.

I thought about that. If he all of a sudden approached a bank or an appraiser with all of this stuff they'd probably like to know where they found it, and the person who owned the house could have seen this on the news that a person working in their house finds money from an era the house existed.

I don't think he could have gotten away with it unnoticed.

I voted for Dunne or his heirs. If there aren't any or they can't be found, then it's the homeowners. Giving the contractor an extra bonus or something would be cool.

No way is it the contractors, IMO.

Glitch sorry about your experience.

I saw an article that the guy who left it there had no children or heirs. The homeowner did try to locate them.

I was in high school and would have blown the money anyway. :) The way I look at it, it wasn't mine to begin with. I guess it just got me that it was the first time I realized adults in power weren't trustworthy. I was pretty naieve prior to that point.

I'm heartened that he did try to locate the heirs. That made me feel better.

Sure doesn't seem like anyone's in a hurry to claim the religious paraphenalia!

I agree the money belongs to the Current owner.

If the money had been found in a common area or on community property then I would say the contractor.
I think Reece was more then generous to offer a 10% finders fee.
I don't even think she had to offer that.
--absolutely agree

I said 50/50. Because, the contractor was honest and came forward with it from what I gather. Someone else may have taken it and ran. Besides, if he hadn't found it then they may have never know about it, therefore nobody would have had any money at all.

I had always wondered what my Uncle Peter did with all of that money he supposedly left me. I'll be sure to thank the homeowner and contractor for finding it for me.

I had always wondered what my Uncle Peter did with all of that money he supposedly left me. I'll be sure to thank the homeowner and contractor for finding it for me.
Yes, dont' forget to send me my share, I am your long lost cousin you have never met!

To me it's good old common sense.
The current homeowner should get the entire bounty.
No one really knows who put the money there in the first place, right?
So imo, current owners keep it. The contractor has no claims on it.

Just think how sorry that contractor probably is for ever saying anything to the homeowner. It could have been all his without anything ever being known about it. Who was it that once said Honesty Pays?? lol j/k

I voted for it to be split 50/50
IMO the homeowner would have never found the money on their own.
Another contractor could have not said a word and kept everything.
Both of them would end up with much more than they had to begin with so be happy about getting a windfall and now go out and enjoy it!
People get so greedy and in the end what does it get you? People who already have plenty will fight and worry for years trying to get more.
The homeowner must be doing ok, they have a job, a home and could afford to have remodeling done. The contractor has a good trade and making a living with it. So quit being greedy, split the money and wouldn't it be nice to use a part of it for something good! Atleast maybe find where the previous owner is buried and maybe take him some flowers, if he died with no family there's a good chance that's never been done.

VB

Sure doesn't seem like anyone's in a hurry to claim the religious paraphenalia!

Haha! I am the freak here! I was like *wow, wonder if the religious stuff was old medals* I collect old saint medals and trinkets so I would be very excited by that.

*geekout*
Sadly, I am not as "religious" as I should be but with all this stuff hanging around my house it looks like a shrine to various women saints. LOL.

About the money...the homeowner! My husband is an "evil contractor" as contractors tend to be called and even he said the money belongs to the homeowner. He obviously didn't get the memo that he needs to be greedy and evil to be a contractor! :D

Haha! I am the freak here! I was like *wow, wonder if the religious stuff was old medals* I collect old saint medals and trinkets so I would be very excited by that.

*geekout*
Sadly, I am not as "religious" as I should be but with all this stuff hanging around my house it looks like a shrine to various women saints. LOL.

About the money...the homeowner! My husband is an "evil contractor" as contractors tend to be called and even he said the money belongs to the homeowner. He obviously didn't get the memo that he needs to be greedy and evil to be a contractor! :D

To be a contractor, you have to make promises you don't intend to keep and then not answer your phone when people call to check on stuff.

Your husband could advertise as "Contractor Repair" like Sears does about it's appliance repair. WE REPAIR OTHER'S MISTAKES. :)

My vote is for the homeowner.

It is not like the contractor was out "treasure hunting" on his own time when he found the money. Maybe I would see it differently then? in this situation though he was working as her PAID employee when he found the money at HER house (gutting the wall at her request) and found it on HER property. I don't see how that adds up to the money belonging to him :confused: .

Well, Mr.Pixies sounds like a keeper to me.

Totally! I knew a guy whose wife was screaming mad that he vacuumed up her wedding ring with the dust hose of the vacuum cleaner while dusting the livingroom with it.

Mad? A man who dusts is worth WAAAAY more than a ring. I told her so, too!

When a man is honest and good to others (Mr. Pixies) I have a strong feeling he's good all the way around.

Totally! I knew a guy whose wife was screaming mad that he vacuumed up her wedding ring with the dust hose of the vacuum cleaner while dusting the livingroom with it.

Mad? A man who dusts is worth WAAAAY more than a ring. I told her so, too!

Plus she could have just took it out of the vacuum cleaner again. Why get mad over stuff like that, geez.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucasmiller
Back