GUILTY MI - 4 students killed, 6 injured, Oxford High School shooting, 30 Nov 2021 *Arrest incl parents* *teen guilty* #6

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the right thing to do, and I really hope more parents face consequences for allowing access to guns.
Owning guns is a big responsibility, having the 2nd amendment doesnt mean people can do whatever they want.

Even though JC will have a felony record, I am hoping that the judge will consider perhaps a five year sentence so Jennifer will be up for parole fairly quickly. But it's possible she wants to make an "example" out of Jennifer as did the prosecution and others.

Do you think he would plead guilty on four counts of manslaughter as charged? I doubt it. And why would they offer him a lesser plea than the other parent who faced the same charges.
I don’t know, just wondering. 60 years is maximum. She might get less because she didn’t legally own the gun. I don’t think the judge will give her the maximum.

I don’t know, just wondering. 60 years is maximum. She might get less because she didn’t legally own the gun. I don’t think the judge will give her the maximum.

Agree. I'm hoping a five year concurrent sentence. Justice would be done with that sentence, IMO, given the guilty verdict.

Jennifer would be up for a parole hearing within two years, if not earlier due to time already served.

Hubris and arrogance
It always comes as a surprise.
Should Smith go before the camera I expect the "it could be you" spiel,the jurors based their guilty verdict on emotions and not the law and we'll take this to the SCOTUS if need be.

For starters I don't think she's an applet lawyer.

Bottom line JC's *advertiser censored* will be sitting in prison so all is better than good now.

Reactions: IDK
I didn't expect a Guilty but not because I didn't agree with a Guilty.

Well done to that jury, it can't have been easy.
Woman foreperson too.

Sentencing April... something?
I wonder how much JC paid Shannon Smith for that?
Smith should maybe have reserved her earlier, "i'm gonna kill myself" over paper disarray, for this moment. Instead, she makes shocked faces at the verdict, like she could do no wrong.

Yes. And I thought the defense did a good job pointing out some of them. Even a good parent doesn't always know what their kids are doing behind their back. I know she was checked out of her kids life and just ignored him. But this is a concern for a parents in the future. Kids get mad at their parents are liable to text anything. If its not true it can and will be used against the parent.
IMO the operative word there is "good". JC ignored EC's relentless and explicit cries for help, and then permitted him an unlocked gun. Most parents aren't in that situation when kids do things behind a parental back, and I'm thinking most of us can recognize an obviously "bad parent". I haven't heard anyone arguing that JC was a good parent.

Last edited:
I wonder if Smith considered the possibility that since she identified so much with JC, someone might just come along and report her to authorities for something or other. Now that JC has been convicted, Smith kind of opened the door with her closing statement.

Smith should maybe have reserved her earlier, "i'm gonna kill myself" over paper disarray, for this moment. Instead, she makes shocked faces at the verdict, like she could do no wrong.
This is the second high profile case that SS has lost (Larry Nassar was the other case). That said, she gets stellar reviews from past clients and is highly regarded in the local legal community. It's my understanding that SS doesn't come cheap, either. I don't get it :confused:

This is the second high profile case that SS has lost (Larry Nassar was the other case). That said, she gets stellar reviews from past clients and is highly regarded in the local legal community. I don't get it :confused:
Nassar pleaded guilty, though, IIRC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member