UK - Constance Marten & Mark Gordon charged, Newborn (found deceased), Bolton Greater Manchester, 5 Jan 2023 #7

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't feel sorry for her. I feel sorry for her kids, all of them. If any of them one day choose to meet her as an adult, I don't think it's going to be what they hope for, in any way.

MOO
I agree. However I do also feel empathy towards someone who seems to me, very unwell and wonder how she got here. MOO.

I really do feel sorry for the older children, who will inevitably go back and read these statements when they're older and become interested in what happen to them in their birth family.

All adopted children know they have a complicated family history. Few have it made so public, with such mudslinging for public consumption.

I wonder if one day, one of them will find these threads as they try and make sense of their own history; something we should all be mindful of when posting.

View attachment 490441
I'm not a member of the landed gentry and my parents would feel exactly the same if my sister started reproducing at that rate, with a rapist much older than her.

I'm not a member of the landed gentry and my parents would feel exactly the same if my sister started reproducing at that rate, with a rapist much older than her

No child should ever hear that their extended family is embarrassed by their very existence - especially when it's something completely outside their control, like the circumstances of their birth.

But that is what the four older children will now, inevitably, read when they are older.

The children are all victims in this sad case, and this is meant to be a victim-friendly website.

Isn't it called Clare's Law?

They could know about it, and would be entitled to the information. Especially once children were involved.
No. He was 14 when the offence was committed (in 1989). I do not know whether Claire's Law would fit this scenario, nor whether it is retrospective. In addition, the Sex Offenders Register did not come into effect until 1 September 1997 and is also not retrospective.
Source:- What is the sex offenders register and when will someone be put on it? - claims.co.uk ™.

ETA - Essentially, it would come down to what the charge was and the sentence he would have received as a Juvenille at that time (1989) as to whether he would have still been on the Register. I don't know what the sentencing regime was in the UK in 1989 for those under 18, but it could have been anything from 10 years to an indefinate period.

A little more information here -
The length of time required to remain on the register is calculated as follows:

• If an individual has been sentenced to life imprisonment; for more than 30 months; or imprisonment and admission to hospital under a restriction order – they will be placed on the sex offenders register indefinitely
  • If an individual has been sentenced to imprisonment for more than 6 months but less than 30 months – they will be placed on the sex offenders register for 10 years
  • If an individual has been sentenced to imprisonment for 6 months or less – they will be placed on the sex offenders register for 7 years
  • If an individual has been cautioned for an offence under the Sexual Offences Act – they will be placed on the sex offenders register for 2 years. If the offender was under 18, they will be placed on the register for 1 year

Last edited:
No. He was 14 when the offence was committed (in 1989). I do not know whether Claire's Law would fit this scenario, nor whether it is retrospective. In addition, the Sex Offenders Register did not come into effect until 1 September 1997 and is also not retrospective.
Source:- What is the sex offenders register and when will someone be put on it? - claims.co.uk ™.

He was almost 15, in fact he was 15 by the time he was arrested, six weeks later. And he was charged and tried as an adult.
(am not saying that was right, it's just what happened ).

I'm
He was almost 15, in fact he was 15 by the time he was arrested, six weeks later. And he was charged and tried as an adult.
(am not saying that was right, it's just what happened ).
I was talking about if the offence was committed in the UK, not the US.

ETA - Essentially, it would come down to what the charge was and the sentence he would have received as a Juvenille at that time (1989) as to whether he would have still been on the Register. I don't know what the sentencing regime was in the UK in 1989 for those under 18, but it could have been anything from 10 years to an indefinate period.

A little more information here -
The length of time required to remain on the register is calculated as follows:

• If an individual has been sentenced to life imprisonment; for more than 30 months; or imprisonment and admission to hospital under a restriction order – they will be placed on the sex offenders register indefinitely
  • If an individual has been sentenced to imprisonment for more than 6 months but less than 30 months – they will be placed on the sex offenders register for 10 years
  • If an individual has been sentenced to imprisonment for 6 months or less – they will be placed on the sex offenders register for 7 years
  • If an individual has been cautioned for an offence under the Sexual Offences Act – they will be placed on the sex offenders register for 2 years. If the offender was under 18, they will be placed on the register for 1 year

That's interesting. Thanks. So in other words, if he had committed that same crime here he would have been sentenced more leniently or gotten out sooner. Possibly with less long term repercussions.

Do you know if a juvenile record in this country would have prevented him from moving to the USA in the first place?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member