Are the Ramseys involved or not?

• The Ramseys are somehow involved in the crime and/or cover-up

Votes: 883 75.3%
  • The Ramseys are not involved at all in the crime or cover-up

Votes: 291 24.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Totally off topic here -- I didnt want to start a new thread when could just ask opinions on an active thread.

After watching "little Miss Perfect" a few times ( moms and their little daughters doing pagents) I have to say IMO those moms are wacked--maybe not fair to say , ALL pagent moms are but it made me think how much Patsy Ramsey must have 'put a lot of pressure on ' Jonbenet to be her little miss perfect and how Jonbenet not being "perfect' with the bed wetting...etc. that Patsy very well could have 'lost it' .

Hi Anniegirl.
No. Not off topic, I have been wanting to watch that, Glad for your take on the show ... I've gotta catch a few episodes. Things to Do.
Isn't really just a kinda pyramid club, all that money spent ... for a trophy. Closed 'set' of people.

I love 'pagentry' in itself, like costumes and dance, but not so much the 'fembot' aspect of 'the beauty pagent'.

A hybrid. Ya.
Just when I first read the spectrum of typologies I did think of JR and the Mind Hunter book that was said to have been on his nightstand table?

I found a 'good' link re language: most common mistakes made by foreigners

http://forum.wordreference.com/showthread.php?t=163611

JBR ransom note: http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/ransom1.html

You know Hotyh, that note is well written.

I'm no linguist, but I don't come here with the false idea that a foreigner is unable to compose, spell, dictate, or handwrite as well as an American.

There is no rule that states any given American will have superior composition in English than a non-American. In fact, there are likely thousands and thousands of foreigners whose English skills are better than yours or mine.

If JBR was killed by a foreinger, then they went to a lot of trouble, and got away with it. From that, you can deduce there's a bit of intelligence going on there.

That intelligence does manifest itself in the ransom note, doesn't it.

There is NO way you can rule out a foreigner because the quality of the RN is too high, because there's just way too many English speaking people in the world. Its the official language in many other countries besides ours.

The composition IS good, but the spelling, handwriting, and vocabulary are at middle-school level. Don't take my word for it, ask a college English professor what grade the RN would get, as a composition goes.

I think it is possible to rule out some foreigners, in france poeple use script/handwriting not printing (blocked capitals) when writing. Also, punctuation is different in non-english speaking countries and can point to timescale and place of education.
The use of "attaché" is telling, common usage in english speaking countries primarily '70s and '80s, in french it does not correspond to the english definition (brief case).

I think it is possible to rule out some foreigners, in france poeple use script/handwriting not printing (blocked capitals) when writing. Also, punctuation is different in non-english speaking countries and can point to timescale and place of education.
The use of "attaché" is telling, common usage in english speaking countries primarily '70s and '80s, in french it does not correspond to the english definition (brief case).

Thank You, Anne - that info just makes the note (not) even more hinky! And adds an extra dose of reality that Patsy and her fondness for all things fancy French comes through load and clear.

:blowkiss:

Thank You, Anne - that info just makes the note (not) even more hinky! And adds an extra dose of reality that Patsy and her fondness for all things fancy French comes through load and clear.

:blowkiss:

More to the point, I DID take it to an English professor! I went one better than that, actually. This particular English professor is from India, one of those former imperial outposts I mentioned earlier. Now, thanks to to the British occupation, a great number of people in India speak English. As most people here know, UK English spelling is a little different from US English spelling. And given how much territory the British ruled and how long they ruled it, when someone from India or any of those places writes in English, there's a chance they will use British spelling rather than American spelling. The letter begins "Mr. Ramsey." The "Mr." has a period, American-style. British spelling omits the period. Just something to gnaw over.

en francais:'word lingo' translation of ransom note, (not 100% accurate).

« M. Ramsey.
2. Écoutez soigneusement ! Nous sommes un groupe d'individus qui représentent
3. une petite faction étrangère. Nous respect xx votre bussiness
4. mais pas le pays qu'il sert. Actuellement nous avons
5. votre fille en notre possession. Elle a sûre et indemne et
6 ans. si vous voulez qu'elle voie 1997, vous devez suivre nos instructions
à
7. la lettre.
8. Vous retirerez $118.000.00 de votre compte. $100.000 seront
9. dans $100 factures et les $18.000 restants dans $20 factures. S'assurent
10. que vous apportez un proportionné classez l'attache à la banque. Quand vous obtenez
11. à la maison vous mettrez l'argent dans un sac de papier brun. Je vous appellerai
12. entre 8 et 10 AM demain pour vous instruire sur la livraison.
Les
13. la livraison épuisera ainsi je vous conseille d'être reposé. Si nous
14. surveillez-toi obtenant l'argent tôt, nous pourrait vous appeler tôt
à
15. arrangez une livraison plus tôt de l'argent et par conséquent des
16 plus tôt. collecte de la livraison de votre fille.
17. N'importe quelle déviation de mes instructions aura comme conséquence les
18 immédiats. exécution de votre fille. Vous lui serez également refusé les restes
19. pour l'enterrement approprié. Les deux messieurs observant au-dessus de votre fille
20. ne vous aimez pas en particulier ainsi je vous conseille de ne pas les provoquer.
21. Parlant à n'importe qui au sujet de votre situation, telle que la police, F.B.I.,
22. etc., aura comme conséquence votre fille étant décapitée. Si nous vous attrapons
23. parlant à un chien parasite, elle meurt. Si vous alertez des autorités de banque, elle
24. matrices. Si l'argent de quelque façon est identifié ou trifouillé par, elle meurt.
25. Vous serez balayé pour les dispositifs électroniques et si en sont trouvés, elle
26. matrices. Vous pouvez essayer de nous tromper mais être averti que nous sommes le familier
27. avec des contre-mesures et la tactique d'application de loi. Vous tenez un 99%
28. chance de tuer votre fille si vous nous jugez dehors à futé. Suivez
29. nos instructions et toi tenez une chance de 100% de la récupérer.
30. Toi et votre famille êtes sous l'examen minutieux constant aussi bien que les
31. autorités. N'essayez pas d'accroître un cerveau John. Vous n'êtes pas les seuls
32. le gros chat autour ainsi ne pensent pas que le massacre sera difficile. Pas
33. sous-estimez-nous John. Employez ce bon bon sens méridional à vous.
34. C'est jusqu'à toi maintenant John !
35. Victoire !
36. S.B.T.C. «

Ransom note english source: http://www.statementanalysis.com/ramseynote/

Word ling: http://www.worldlingo.com/en/products_services/worldlingo_translator.html

en francais:'word lingo' translation of ransom note

« M. Ramsey.
2. Écoutez soigneusement ! Nous sommes un groupe d'individus qui représentent
3. une petite faction étrangère. Nous respect xx votre bussiness
4. mais pas le pays qu'il sert. Actuellement nous avons
5. votre fille en notre possession. Elle a sûre et indemne et
6 ans. si vous voulez qu'elle voie 1997, vous devez suivre nos instructions
à
7. la lettre.
8. Vous retirerez $118.000.00 de votre compte. $100.000 seront
9. dans $100 factures et les $18.000 restants dans $20 factures. S'assurent
10. que vous apportez un proportionné classez l'attache à la banque. Quand vous obtenez
11. à la maison vous mettrez l'argent dans un sac de papier brun. Je vous appellerai
12. entre 8 et 10 AM demain pour vous instruire sur la livraison.
Les
13. la livraison épuisera ainsi je vous conseille d'être reposé. Si nous
14. surveillez-toi obtenant l'argent tôt, nous pourrait vous appeler tôt
à
15. arrangez une livraison plus tôt de l'argent et par conséquent des
16 plus tôt. collecte de la livraison de votre fille.
17. N'importe quelle déviation de mes instructions aura comme conséquence les
18 immédiats. exécution de votre fille. Vous lui serez également refusé les restes
19. pour l'enterrement approprié. Les deux messieurs observant au-dessus de votre fille
20. ne vous aimez pas en particulier ainsi je vous conseille de ne pas les provoquer.
21. Parlant à n'importe qui au sujet de votre situation, telle que la police, F.B.I.,
22. etc., aura comme conséquence votre fille étant décapitée. Si nous vous attrapons
23. parlant à un chien parasite, elle meurt. Si vous alertez des autorités de banque, elle
24. matrices. Si l'argent de quelque façon est identifié ou trifouillé par, elle meurt.
25. Vous serez balayé pour les dispositifs électroniques et si en sont trouvés, elle
26. matrices. Vous pouvez essayer de nous tromper mais être averti que nous sommes le familier
27. avec des contre-mesures et la tactique d'application de loi. Vous tenez un 99%
28. chance de tuer votre fille si vous nous jugez dehors à futé. Suivez
29. nos instructions et toi tenez une chance de 100% de la récupérer.
30. Toi et votre famille êtes sous l'examen minutieux constant aussi bien que les
31. autorités. N'essayez pas d'accroître un cerveau John. Vous n'êtes pas les seuls
32. le gros chat autour ainsi ne pensent pas que le massacre sera difficile. Pas
33. sous-estimez-nous John. Employez ce bon bon sens méridional à vous.
34. C'est jusqu'à toi maintenant John !
35. Victoire !
36. S.B.T.C. «

Interesting, though, is how many words are the same in English and French, i.e. faction, attache, business, instructions, situation.

Interesting, though, is how many words are the same in English and French, i.e. faction, attache, business, instructions, situation.

Yes.

Oh, I should amend that translation, 'word lingo' leaves the original form ( language) of words that can not be translated, so business, sorta not french, business=affaires, but in french, there's lots of English words used when speaking 'casual' french, words like ... showbusiness, or .....
http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Business , business is anglofied?

What's also interesting, to me, is that this is the first time I've ever pasted something into word lingo translator (although I've never translated english to french), and the translation has come up entirely understandable, it's not 100 % gramatically correct, but it's more than entirely readable.

In the past, I was using word lingo, to translate dutch to english, and it always had that 'cart before the horse'? flavour, but in this case, the word lingo translation of the JBR ransom note is very readable, not much lost in translation. (pondering).

word lingo.http://www.worldlingo.com/en/products_services/worldlingo_translator.html

@ Hotyh.

I've never heard the word attache used in conversational french, ie. as in the sense of the word being a 'case' (to contain), but it is an 'old fashioned' english expression.

I'll browse around, though. My language skills in written french are 'old school' and rusty...... and there's 480 resultats ..... so ..... may take me a while, but I'll browse around wiki .....seems like it's most often used in its sense as a verb (attacher); to attach and variations of that sense ....

attache:
http://fr.wiktionary.org/wiki/Special:Search?search=attache&fulltext=Search

attache: bondage: (hmm. Did not know that.)

http://fr.wiktionary.org/w/index.php?title=Sp%C3%A9cial:Recherche&ns0=1&redirs=0&search=attache&limit=20&offset=0

attaches-cases* (look's like an 'anglification', to me, twice pluralized ?)

http://fr.wiktionary.org/w/index.ph...it=20&offset=20&ns0=1&redirs=0&search=attache

Ah, ...... Hotyh. That French Connection!

"The two gentlemen", "a small foreign faction" and the "attache[s-cases], and threarts of "behead[ing]". It's looking a little Marie Antionettey to me.

porte-documents* (*un porte-documents = a briefcase )
http://fr.wiktionary.org/wiki/porte-documents

porte-documents masculin
  1. Petite valise rectangulaire en cuir ou en plastique généralement. ( small rectangular case generally made of leather or plastic )
Traductions (Translations english )

anglais : briefcase (en)*, attaché case (en)*, document case (en)*

This is quite interesting.

But let's not forget one thing. RiverRat said it best:

And adds an extra dose of reality that Patsy and her fondness for all things fancy French comes through load and clear.

No need to traverse the world.

No need to traverse the world. - SD

The note is 'off'.
There's no french flavour, in the Enlish version of the ransom note. Maybe a french-english thesaurus would'a helped. Or remember, back in the eighties, when cell phones had little attennas, and you could buy a 'portable translator' for travel purposes.

The 'francocisms' within the note are of english origin.

save for? 'individuals', "We are a group of individuals that represent", ransom note: http://www.statementanalysis.com/ramseynote/

http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Individu

(fr) individu = personne= (ang) individual

Il désigne le plus souvent une personne dans le langage courant = [the word] most often designates 'a person' in the current language

a group of individuals = un group d'individus

http://www.casafree.com/modules/news/article.php?storyid=3511

Mise en détention d'un groupe d'individus poursuivis pour préparation d'actes terroristes = placed in detenttion, a group of individuals [held for] for the preperation of terrorist acts

poursuivre: http://www.wordreference.com/fren/poursuivre

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member