8 Die in Crash on Taconic State Parkway

Status
Not open for further replies.
My parents were problem drinkers and my dad got in so many wrecks, even hit a boy on a bicycle. He was out of control and needed help. Sounds like this mother was in need of help too.

Isn't the NYPost a "rag mag" of sorts?? Very sensationalized reporting.....

PFM-

The Post can definitely be tabloid at times but I've also seen some stories come out of there that have turned out to be completely on target.

I am glad the husband wants an exhumation, I totally support a second or third opinion in this case, although I believe the original findings will be borne out. Is there ANY plausible scenario in which a women who is a light social drinker and light recreational user of marijuana suddenly goes on a bender, or does one just assume that if the toxicology reports are right, then she was hiding her substance abuse from almost everyone?

This is a haunting case, makes you wonder if any of us could just snap and lose it one day.

One question that keeps coming up in these comments sections and that I haven't seen addressed is this:

If 6 people called 911 and she had been driving erratically for awhile, where were the police? There is certainly no shortage of them nailing speeders on the Taconic, and you'd think they'd pay attention to a call like that. How long could it have taken them to find her?

I would like to read a statement from LE and hear the 911 calls.

This raises a host of new questions. I support 100% the family's desire to have an independent autopsy because it does sound like they were blindsided by the substances found in her body.

I understand that some here don't understand how someone could hide that level of substance abuse, but I certainly do.

If she was a diabetic, it does raise more questions for certain!
Diabetics can have reactions to low blood sugar that can cause them to blackout on the road or seem like they are "drunk"... however, having all that alcohol in her bloodstream would negate this theory.

This story has more twists and turns than a rollercoaster :(

One question that keeps coming up in these comments sections and that I haven't seen addressed is this:

If 6 people called 911 and she had been driving erratically for awhile, where were the police? There is certainly no shortage of them nailing speeders on the Taconic, and you'd think they'd pay attention to a call like that. How long could it have taken them to find her?

ITA angelmom. The only thing I've heard to somewhat address it is that no one got a license plate. And only from descriptions of the vehicle and the approximate timing of when these 911 calls were made were police able to pretty well assume it was Diane Schuler.

But I would love to hear those 911 calls for sure and/or see if further discussed by police.

I am glad the husband wants an exhumation, I totally support a second or third opinion in this case, although I believe the original findings will be borne out. Is there ANY plausible scenario in which a women who is a light social drinker and light recreational user of marijuana suddenly goes on a bender, or does one just assume that if the toxicology reports are right, then she was hiding her substance abuse from almost everyone?

This is a haunting case, makes you wonder if any of us could just snap and lose it one day.

Robin,

I think that's a great question. IMHO, barring a physical finding, I have to assume this was a woman hiding substance abuse problem.

Angel,

IIRC, this woman took a very bizarre circuitous route from when the phone call was made to the accident site. I think it could have been difficult to track her - depending on where the calls were coming from.

Sadly, the police are not always able to catch up to people in automobiles who are doing dangerous, illegal things.

Isn't the NYPost a "rag mag" of sorts?? Very sensationalized reporting.....

No. They do have sensational headlines but they also report real news stories and as far as I know they do not make up articles like the National Enquirer etc. Of course they have the infamous Page Six gossip page in their paper.

And, also that the brother called 911 after she called him and that LE was looking for her van. I'm really puzzled by that.

Lawyer just said they have not decided if they are going to have a second autopsy

"Definitely no alcohol used by her when she left the campsite."

Lawyer claims eye-witness contacted him last night to tell him he saw Diane driving that day but at a very slow rate of speed.....

Person who spoke to Diane on the phone (didn't say who) shortly before the accident said she was not slurring or acting drunk but that she acted confused

Her husband seems truly shocked and stunned by the toxicology reports.

"so out of character for this woman there has to be another explanation"

SIL Speaking

--trusted her with her children's lives

--Diane was absolutely not depressed or suicidal

--completely out of character for Diane to do this

Husband adamently defending his wife saying she did not drink and was not an alcoholic and he goes to bed every night with a clear heart when it comes to that issue. Insists it must be medical condition.

I take that with a grain of salt considering the hubby is trying to avoid prosecution.

I've been thinking about the ethical question:

Is someone who gets bombed and drives, but makes it home fine that day, guilty of the same ethical lapse as this woman, who didn't make it and caused 8 people to die?

I guess so.... Something to think about if you ever, or have ever, driven under the influence, huh? I think there are people who are "outraged" at this woman, who have themselves driven drunk or know of others who have. "Sobering," if you will....

Fox News went to the trouble of having a live stream and then only showed the very beginning of the news conference. The husband was just beginning to answer reporters' questions when they broke off with other news. Ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eric.joel.rondo.sanchez