FL - Shannon Dedrick, 7 mo., Chipley, 31 Oct 2009 #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have your aunt and cousins been able to begin their drive to Chipley? Any idea how long it will take for them to get there?

Prayers for all,

Salem

They left this morning, should be there around midnight if there are no delays, i think...not sure if we will hear from them until morning

It's the same rumor that has been discussed at length throughout the thread.
And we have locals here posting what is essentially rumor...I'm pretty sure it's a judgement call, what goes and what stays.

There has been no discussion "at length" of Shannon's mom taking her out in a stroller.

The only discussion here has been what has been reported in the media and also what has been said by Chaniilove.

I think you may be confusing our discussion here with the gross one on Topix.

I have absolutely nothing at all to back this up but gut feeling ... but, I just don't think the parents did anything harmful to baby Shannon. I hope my hunch is right. :crossfingers:

They left this morning, should be there around midnight if there are no delays, i think...not sure if we will hear from them until morning

Bless them, I hope their trip continues safely.

Okay, why don't I rephrase? Up until now, one of the few statements made on the net that wasn't disputed by LE was that the mother was seen strolling her that afternoon/evening. Now they are asking for information on someone carrying an infant that day in the area.
Sounds to me like they are at least exploring the possibility of an abduction.

(As opposed to the rumors that have been stated to be false, such as searching the old dump and that Shannon's mother admitted to burying her in the woods.

Not to be off topic or argumentative here, but this is an inaccurate statistic. They do NOT die because they do not have health insurance as many would like us to believe. HEALTHY people do not die because of lack of health insurance. These people die (just as well-insured people do) because they smoke too much, drink too much, eat too much, take drugs too much and refuse to follow the advice they are given when they DO have good medical care. They drive their cars too fast, drive while drinking, sit on their booties for hours and hours in front of a t.v. etc. I could go on and on. EVERY person in this country gets excellent medical care at emergency rooms all across this country no matter where or when they seek it 24 hours a day. I know this for a fact because we are part of a group that provides literally MILLIONS of dollars of free medical care to uninsured people every year.

Sorry to go OT without even having caught up on the thread yet, and not to get too personal...but I was diagnosed with Leukemia while unemployed and don't qualify for ANY type of insurance, including state. I get chemo when I can afford it, and see the doctor only sporadically. I don't smoke, drink, talk while driving or drive too fast.
I realize you weren't directing that at me, but just wanted to show the flip side.

ETA: The ERs I've been to/taken kids to....if they decide in triage that it is not a "medical emergency", they don't have to see you unless you show cash. Maybe I'm in the wrong place, eh, lol?

There has been no discussion "at length" of Shannon's mom taking her out in a stroller.

The only discussion here has been what has been reported in the media and also what has been said by Chaniilove.

I think you may be confusing our discussion here with the gross one on Topix.

Edit: There were some posts on the stroller, although my perception of at length might not be the same as yours. I have edited this post, as my prior one was a bit heated. I still invite you to contact me if I have offended you in any way.

I have absolutely nothing at all to back this up but gut feeling ... but, I just don't think the parents did anything harmful to baby Shannon. I hope my hunch is right. :crossfingers:

CuriousTwo - I like your thinking and this has been my opinion as well - but have nothing to base this on other than gut feeling and the way press reports have been written. My prayers are with Shannon.

CuriousTwo - I like your thinking and this has been my opinion as well - but have nothing to base this on other than gut feeling and the way press reports have been written. My prayers are with Shannon.

I hope you're both right.

I lost my post...crap.

Helicopters are done, No idea what is going on.

Where is the darn stroller? if she took the baby away in the stroller does this mean she brought the empty stroller back home?

within 24 hours the buzzards way back in my yard, had completly ate the dead cat, not a bone or a piece of fur was there the next morning.

family in tex had to raise money?????? why? they should not have had to do a darn thing, once local LE called tx, I would think money would have showed up right away. Its 6 hrs, as I understand it, from their home to here (Chipley) What would you need? gas and a btl of water to get to your child?

Money would have shown up from where? cause it didnt. All the family down here had to scrape enough together. Gas fuels the car not the people, and presumably they will be there for days, there's 3 of them. plus they have to have somewhere to stay, we have no family there, everyone there is rustys family who will currently have nothing to do with tina so i doubt with her family either. You have no idea where in texas we are and its a big state. Its more than 6 hrs just to the tx border, and another 6 to where they are in fl. 12 hours...a gas guzzling vehicle...3 people to feed...i can assure you that we all did what we could and got them on the road as soon as possible
but it was not as easy as you make it out to be, and we would prefer they had enough money with them to not end up stranded somewhere on the way there or back and put any more family members in harms way

I feel the need to add what CPS can, and cannot do.

They cannot take a child on an abuse allegation alone.

They can investigate but unless the child has bruises, their hands are tied.

They can require the parents and the child to get counseling. CPS is the first line of defense, but the social workers really know what is going on. Do not blame CPS DFS or whatever for any failure.

To make it more clear, when you call 911, you get a cop. If it is serious you get a Detective. CPS are only cops. They get the call, assess the situation and send it onto the proper authorities to who can handle such cases. As in Social workers and counselors.

I have never seen a CPS worker remove a child. That is the left up to the social workers and at the extreme a judge.

How many of you would like to live your day as a CPS worker....Going out on 5 calls a day of neglect, abuse, yadda yadda

So easy to to put them down but I doubt anyone would want their job.

Here in TN the CPS worker can and does remove children. We were foster parents for 5 years. When our twins were removed, DCS worker made an unexpected visit on the bio mom, only to find the twins completely alone. The worker called, CPS, and the sherrif's office. They were there over an hour before biomom showed up. They removed the children, and were placed with us forever. Our twins were 5 months old. Our son was bigger than our daughter but he had no eyelashes, no eye brows. Our daughter was 5 months old and still wearing preemie clothes. SHe never cried. EVER/ She did not ever get her needs met so she did not know to cry when she was hungry or soiled. That quickly changed after a week with us. Their biomom received WIC. She got vouchers for a high caloric formula that you had to have a rx for. This woman was selling one voucher and feeding the 2 of them with one voucher. The biomom received SSI because she has an IQ of a 13 year old. So, I have a feeling, that this baby is being neglected and malnourished and the parents are at fault. I just pray the baby is still in this world.

Money would have shown up from where? cause it didnt. All the family down here had to scrape enough together. Gas fuels the car not the people, and presumably they will be there for days, there's 3 of them. plus they have to have somewhere to stay, we have no family there, everyone there is rustys family who will currently have nothing to do with tina so i doubt with her family either. You have no idea where in texas we are and its a big state. Its more than 6 hrs just to the tx border, and another 6 to where they are in fl. 12 hours...a gas guzzling vehicle...3 people to feed...i can assure you that we all did what we could and got them on the road as soon as possible
but it was not as easy as you make it out to be, and we would prefer they had enough money with them to not end up stranded somewhere on the way there or back and put any more family members in harms way

I hope they have a safe trip there. I am sure being so far away has been hard on them and they will be relieved to get some first-hand answers. I hope Baby Shannon is found soon and healthy. My thoughts are with your family.

Chaniilove,

My prayers are with Shannon and that she will be found. Bless you and your family for all you are doing to bring family to help out. All I can do is sit behind this dammed keyboard and think, read, stew, and wonder where Shannon can be.
What you are doing is real and for that am sending heartfelt blessings to you and family for all that is being done.
Prayers that Shannon be found safe and soon.

Elepher

Sorry to go OT without even having caught up on the thread yet, and not to get too personal...but I was diagnosed with Leukemia while unemployed and don't qualify for ANY type of insurance, including state. I get chemo when I can afford it, and see the doctor only sporadically. I don't smoke, drink, talk while driving or drive too fast.
I realize you weren't directing that at me, but just wanted to show the flip side.

ETA: The ERs I've been to/taken kids to....if they decide in triage that it is not a "medical emergency", they don't have to see you unless you show cash. Maybe I'm in the wrong place, eh, lol?

as a nurse and fellow cancer victim.. my heart shatters into a million tiny pieces when I read your post!

You will forever be in my thoughts and prayers!!!

Thank you for coming back and providing any insight/info you can share with us. Any news is better than no news. Prayers to your family.

Chanii, if you go to a bank that has branches across the country and set up an account. I would be happy to donate for your sisters transportation and hotel costs.

Money shouldn't matter now, just finding little Shannon.

The baby sitter has a myspace.
I guess that's all I can say?

I think that when something like this happens, it's easy to forget that not everyone has expendable cash and can pack up and just leave their homes at a moment's notice. If you have a limited budget/income there just isn't extra cash to use for gasoline (over $2.50 a gallon here now), food, and housing. And, if you have a job in which you don't get paid if you don't work, it's even more difficult to leave. It's easy to say what someone would/should do in certain situations, but unless we're personally in that situation, we really can't know what it's like. JMHO. Bless you and your family, channilove.

And, it's so true that just driving across Texas can take 8 hours or more - I'm a native Texan and have done it several times - you feel as if you're NEVER going to get out of the state. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sumner