CA CA - East Area Rapist aka The Original Night Stalker 1976-86

Status
Not open for further replies.
Suspect Profile:
http://www.ear-ons.com/investigate7.html

Criminal Profile:
http://www.ear-ons.com/nightstalkerprofile.pdf (very interesting)

Evidence Summary:

http://www.ear-ons.com/evidence.html

http://www.vcstar.com/news/2002/nov/27/chapter-25-the-dragons-lair/ Article in the Ventura County Star

I had completely forgotten the interesting fact that a lot of the homes targeted were for sale or had recently been sold. It seems likely he posed as a realtor or potential buyer in order to gain access to the house, scope it out, become familar with the lay-out and with who lived there. Correct me if I am wrong but I don't think he ever targeted a couple that had children did he?

I wonder how LE came to the conclusions he possible attended American River College or CA State. It definitely makes sense as to why they would think he had LE or military training. Officially he is known as the "Diamond Knot Killer."

Hmmm, well goes to show you what a good sleuther I am! Here is another thread titled The Original Night Stalker. I would like to point out that HesterMofet (OP) was also surprised at the lack of press and attention. The last post was in 2007.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25334&highlight=original+night+stalker

There is some interesting information in this thread. Dr. Doogie mentions a strong rumour that went around was the killer was in law enforcement.
Thanks. That's the thread I was thinking of when I initially responded to this one. Couldn't find it for some reason. The case has garnered surprisingly scant media attention, although there was the fascinating Cold Case Files episode, and it has been profiled once or twice on AMW.
I wonder how LE came to the conclusions he possible attended American River College or CA State.
There was a compelling reason, but I don't remember what it was exactly. I think it was detailed in the CCF episode. I think there was some intriguing message scratched into a desk there, or I may be mistaking that with another case.
A lot of anger directed towards women. I think his anger towards men stemmed from the fact these men were able to get these women, marry them whereas he had always felt rejected and rebuffed by women. Who knows, I could be totally off.
Could very well be the case.
I love cats too. I have 4 of them or rather they have me....wrapped around their little puddy paws. The pic in my avatar is Everest my eldest at 10yrs old.
What a cutie. We have two, quite old at 14 and 15 years old. One is a sweetheart, and playful and naughty even at his age, while the other is a shy loner who lies in the basement by herself.

here is the cold case files episode:

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2Sd68xIS04"]YouTube- Broadcast Yourself.[/nomedia] (part I)

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIoeJfb7M50&feature=related"]YouTube- Broadcast Yourself.[/nomedia] (Part II)

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-Tp3hQ3yRw&feature=related"]YouTube- Broadcast Yourself.[/nomedia] (Part III)

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0Q5ARO8wSw&feature=related"]YouTube- Broadcast Yourself.[/nomedia] (Part IV)

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2JJYpYpr0U&feature=related"]YouTube- Broadcast Yourself.[/nomedia] Part V)

Really??? I did not watch any of them (yet). Why would they do that?

I was SO pissed when A&E took CCF off at 6:00pm est and replaced it with CSI:Miami. Now CCF is on at 5pm, while I am at work, so I never get to watch it any more. Poor me.

I'll tell you how bad the EAR-ONS case freaked me out - I was too scared to even POST on the old thread! And then I got all paranoid that the poster called "Mint Car" (which of course I could construe as a creepy name b/c I was already nervous) actually MIGHT BE the perp and....just whoa.

Completely freaked me out!

gaia227 said:
Really??? I did not watch any of them (yet). Why would they do that?

I was SO pissed when A&E took CCF off at 6:00pm est and replaced it with CSI:Miami. Now CCF is on at 5pm, while I am at work, so I never get to watch it any more. Poor me.
Kurtis had a falling out with A&E (i.e. they fired him for whatever reason), but I think the different narrator in the videos you posted can be chalked up to the videos' originating from a U.K. broadcast.

I wish A&E and Kurtis would start producing new eps of CCF again. I miss it. "The First 48" and "Crime 360" are not satisfactory replacements.

Annec at least two other posted speculated the same thing about Mint Car.

The GS issue could be settled. DNA testing now can pinpoint racial makeup.

This case has long fascinated me. Add me to those who are seriously creeped out by the recording AND esp. the guy at the town hall meeting. To answer a question raised about that: I have covered more of these types of meetings than I could count and never once has anyone used name tags. At official meetings, you were required to give your name and address but not at one like this. He may have given his name but it's most likely he was followed home and "taught a lesson." I believe the man expressed disbelief that just one person could manage these crimes.

Does anyone remember if there was LE speculation that this guy made his getaway on a bicycle at least some of the time? It had something to do with his ability to disappear very quickly and not be seen or heard.

Glad this case is getting some interest. I was sad that no one seemed interested when the other thread was going.

Does anyone remember if there was LE speculation that this guy made his getaway on a bicycle at least some of the time? It had something to do with his ability to disappear very quickly and not be seen or heard.
If I recall, many of the rapes were committed in dwellings that backed onto dry concrete canals, and speculation was he used those canals as escape routes.

IIRC EAR/ONS liked to target houses close to fields, in cul-d-sacs, near ditches or drainage canals for what LE believed to be an easier getaway. It was speculated that EAR/ONS used a bike as opposed to a car. There was an eye witness who saw a man riding away from a crime scene dressed in all black one night and it is thought this could have been EAR/ONS.

Thanks for input reportertype regarding the town hall meeting. How incredibly creepy is that? The only explanation is that EAR/ONS was at the meeting and he followed this man home. It would be interesting to find out if that crime scene and the area differed from his normal MO.

It also gives me the cold chills to think about the fact he kept up with some of his rape victims. I just can't imagine how those women felt. To go through an ordeal like that and then have your rapists calling you and telling you that stuff in his creepy voice. That is about one of the more frightening scenarios I can think of. I think the last contact with EAR/ONS was the message he left on his victims answering machine in the early 90's. There is a recording of it on the website I posted and also on the CCF episode.

Thanks CS and gaia. I couldn't remember how the bike came into play. ITA about keeping up with victims, meaning they were victimized more than once. I always assumed he had attended the meeting to keep up with the investigation and his press. This case gives me chills.

I think the dog has a bigger role in the trasition to different areas in some of the crimes. The fact that the dog is brought there says something. Also, does anyone know if the police looked at men who were scout leaders who had sons or stepsons in the area. The diamond knot is one learned by scouts. I have followed this case for a very long time. This man is very smart and cunning. I believe he has a family, kids or neices and nephews, a job and a double life, much like Gilbert escobedo, who didn't kill, but was able to lead two separate lives. This EAR/ONS though is much smarter. I believe that he is also the ransacker. I believe he has family members that know and are afraid to come out (IMO a maternal figure). I believe he has some connection with scouting or boating, law enforecement or real estate. Also, I will try to find the link, but, allegedly, the townhall meeting that was shown in the documentaries is not the townhall meeting that the gentleman attended who could not believe in the way these crimes were going down. Apparantly these are pictures of a different meeting, used for emphasis, and the other town hall meeting was not photographed. Again, I will try to find the link. Additionally, I believe, IMO, that the EAR/ONS was sexually abused by a male, or males during his childhood, and his main female figure, mother, whoever he was with (female) that was supposed to be his protector, did not protect him in reality, or, in his mind.

I also believe he is the ransacker. Very cunning individual.

IIRC EAR/ONS liked to target houses close to fields, in cul-d-sacs, near ditches or drainage canals for what LE believed to be an easier getaway. It was speculated that EAR/ONS used a bike as opposed to a car. There was an eye witness who saw a man riding away from a crime scene dressed in all black one night and it is thought this could have been EAR/ONS.

Thanks for input reportertype regarding the town hall meeting. How incredibly creepy is that? The only explanation is that EAR/ONS was at the meeting and he followed this man home. It would be interesting to find out if that crime scene and the area differed from his normal MO.

It also gives me the cold chills to think about the fact he kept up with some of his rape victims. I just can't imagine how those women felt. To go through an ordeal like that and then have your rapists calling you and telling you that stuff in his creepy voice. That is about one of the more frightening scenarios I can think of. I think the last contact with EAR/ONS was the message he left on his victims answering machine in the early 90's. There is a recording of it on the website I posted and also on the CCF episode.

Gaia227 -
yes, this whole case is creepy. The fact that he kept track of some of his victims, like Gilbert Escobedo did, may tell us that he has some power assurance issues, other than the fact he is just a, well, you know,......I'm still not quite sure how far I can go here. This Person is definitely in the know as far as the investigation went and has gone. How truly horrific. Thanks for the post.

It would be great if familial DNA could catch EAR/ONS like it caught the grimsleeper.

There are 2 different threads about this killer, maybe somehow they could get combined.

It would be great if familial DNA could catch EAR/ONS like it caught the grimsleeper.

Oooohhhh Colette,

what if the lady that did the DNA for BK, were to run the DNA for the EAR/ONS? Is that even possible? Holy Moly!!! Who do we ask?

I just listened to the tape of the phone call the EAR/ONS left on a victim's vm at http://www.ear-ons.com/investigate7.html. Who added the music? It sounds like a TV show possibly did it to add extra fear in presenting it. Any site you know of where it can be heard without the added music? Also, at the listed site it reads that his blood type is A. Which scene did this come from?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LitWiz