NC - Kathy Taft, 62, Raleigh, 6 March 2010 - #3

Status
Not open for further replies.

wtvd600_taft_murder_crime_scene_011_031010.jpg

Re: Post 433 - 2nd 911 call

does anything find this call odd. The person calling makes it sound like she was calling back because some one else had called but had been hung up on after a minute.

Would hospital security place the call or caller request an officer to investigate a possible rape (end of conversation) IMO - the caller wasn't experienced or professional 'official' sounding on the call. Sounded to me like 2 friends carrying on a conversation. Just MO!!

My understanding is the the ER doctor examined Kathy, found that it was not complications due to surgery, but that it was an assault, and called RPD.

He was put on hold, the nurse was supposed to get to the call to provide info, and meanwhile RPD hung up, so the nurse called 911 (a minute later) to try to give the info PLUS that now they believed she was raped (the stories were clicking with the physical findings of the medical staff).

I heard "we" also! Does anyone know if there is another member of the family with a drug problem? Of course not assuming anything about D, but I wondered about another family member OR friend of another family member.

Yes, I knew KT. No, I was not the person DH made the comments to but I guess I quoted from a quote..with no reason to doubt its validity. The only thing I'm not sure about is whether she said porch or deck. I'm also not sure whether she said she saw someone running upstairs or downstairs. I do know she said she thought she saw someone running on (up or down) the stairs inside the house. She then went outside ( I guess to see if she saw anyone) came back in and locked the door. As far as how she was dressed at the hospital, I don't know. I do know in her second conversation she expressed her awareness that if she had been seen, as she slept on the sofa, she could have also been a victim.

Makes me wonder about the layout not only of the rooms, but of the couch. (I'll see if the tax site has a floor plan of the house ... if anyone knows where the couch is in relation to the stairs and the master bedroom, I'd appreciate it!)

And colors me a skeptical again. (Of DH, not beach4me).

What does DK mean? Anyone know? (It must be the upper level.)

http://services.wakegov.com/realestate/Building.asp?id=0111211&stype=owner&owner=geil%2C+john&spg=1&cd=01&loc=2710++CARTIER+DR&des=LOC-1+RECOMBINATION+OF+LT+C+BUDLEIGH+SU&pin=1705012414

8596011121101.jpg

Well Beach4me, apparently she can't identify the person, so there is no reason for him to attempt to harm her at this point. Do you know if she said anything about leaving her car at Harris Teeter or about how and when she left the house?

Maybe when she called 911 around 9:30 a.m. she didn't mention she saw someone in the house. She just said she went outside and then upstairs. Maybe she forgot about it and the fact her sister was bleeding didn't jar her memory.

I guess this is why there was no forced entry. Evidently, the intruder came in through an unlocked door. It's funny how everything she did just made it so easy for the intruder. It was just so easy, wonder why they didn't take the valuables?

If we are parsing that statement, I think she means someone running on the stairs inside the house.

Makes sense with the rest of the statement as provided here. There's no window on that side of the house, and she's conveying what she saw after she awoke on the couch. She can see the inside stairs from there.

/

I don't want to run this in the ground, but please relisten very carefully to the tape. She says I went outside and We went upstairs at 3:00. Does someone have a way to slow it down for maximum clarity? That might help. She says 2 things. I went outside and We went upstairs at 3:00. That's all I'll say about it. I guess we can agree to disagree.

That would be quite a find if she said she went outside.

Admittedly, I am not good with picking up and decipher audio.

/

I have just joined Websleuths but have been watching the threads since early on in this case. I live in the Wayland Heights neighborhood. Please allow me to clarify a few things about this neighborhood. The houses are small, mostly built in the 40's when this was considered "the country" outskirts of Raleigh. Now it is "Inside the Beltline," surrounded by more expensive neighborhoods, and though it may be more affordable than those neighborhoods, it is still expensive to buy a house in Wayland Heights. Due to its convenient location, many houses have additions, and some houses have been torn down for much larger houses to be built in their place. Scattered throughout are small rental houses, townhouses, and apartments--actually this is pretty common in Raleigh, even in many other more "elite" ITB Raleigh neighborhoods. There are two new townhouse developments, one of which contains $1 to 2 million homes, and one which contains townhouses just put on the market for around 350k. Homes go for around 300k to 800k. Tear-downs/rebuilds and condo development were starting to increase before the economy dropped, which may help you understand the disparity in prices. The neighborhood is a very friendly, eclectic place, including elderly people who have lived here for decades, young families, singles, etc. We often have neighborhood potlucks and parties, and people are always walking dogs and kids in the neighborhood. Many people walk down Cartier and cut through via stairs to go to the HT or coffee shop.

Cartier: Some residents make an effort to be a part of the neighborhood, and some do not, which is true for the whole neighborhood. Geographically, Cartier is somewhat cut off from the rest of the neighborhood, because there is not a need to cut through that street, and you have to go down a steep hill to get to it. I do not drive down Cartier, but I often walk there (sometimes cutting through to HT via stairs). It is not a busy street at all. There are residents who have lived there for a long time, and there are some homes that change renters often. There are lower-rent apartments across Oberlin, across Glenwood, and a few that can be accessed by the Glenwood Village parking lot.

I hope this gives you a better understanding of the nature of the neighborhood. There have been several undercover cops patrolling today.

Well, I thought it might mean deck but I looked at the photo and it didn't seem to have one ... so I thought it must mean the upper level, which is pretty small according to the photo JTF posted above.

wtvd600_taft_murder_crime_scene_011_031010.jpg

ETA: I guess the DK (deck) is the porch area.

I wonder if JG hired someone to look after his house when he didn't have people staying in it ...

Well, if she heard footsteps on the inside steps then walked outside to look, no doubt the poor thing was snookered that night.
Explains a lot.

Geez...so should we just discount everything she says as not credible? I'm starting to think so. No wonder the cops are having such a hard time.:banghead:

So D wakes up to 'footsteps', supposedly coming down the inside stairs?....She thinks she sees him?....he must immediately flee ...she goes out on the deck...sees nothing.
She closes and locks the door and checks on KT ...hears her snoring.
She then goes upstairs to bed around 3am.

Yes, we all agree this story is bizarre.
If mostly true, no doubt she was wasted.
If she was to make up a story to cover something up, why would she say something so sketchy?

I have just joined Websleuths but have been watching the threads since early on in this case. I live in the Wayland Heights neighborhood. Please allow me to clarify a few things about this neighborhood. The houses are small, mostly built in the 40's when this was considered "the country" outskirts of Raleigh. Now it is "Inside the Beltline," surrounded by more expensive neighborhoods, and though it may be more affordable than those neighborhoods, it is still expensive to buy a house in Wayland Heights. Due to its convenient location, many houses have additions, and some houses have been torn down for much larger houses to be built in their place. Scattered throughout are small rental houses, townhouses, and apartments--actually this is pretty common in Raleigh, even in many other more "elite" ITB Raleigh neighborhoods. There are two new townhouse developments, one of which contains $1 to 2 million homes, and one which contains townhouses just put on the market for around 350k. Homes go for around 300k to 800k. Tear-downs/rebuilds and condo development were starting to increase before the economy dropped, which may help you understand the disparity in prices. The neighborhood is a very friendly, eclectic place, including elderly people who have lived here for decades, young families, singles, etc. We often have neighborhood potlucks and parties, and people are always walking dogs and kids in the neighborhood. Many people walk down Cartier and cut through via stairs to go to the HT or coffee shop.

Cartier: Some residents make an effort to be a part of the neighborhood, and some do not, which is true for the whole neighborhood. Geographically, Cartier is somewhat cut off from the rest of the neighborhood, because there is not a need to cut through that street, and you have to go down a steep hill to get to it. I do not drive down Cartier, but I often walk there (sometimes cutting through to HT via stairs). It is not a busy street at all. There are residents who have lived there for a long time, and there are some homes that change renters often. There are lower-rent apartments across Oberlin, across Glenwood, and a few that can be accessed by the Glenwood Village parking lot.

I hope this gives you a better understanding of the nature of the neighborhood. There have been several undercover cops patrolling today.

Thank you. If you come in Cartier via Oberlin, there are also those 3-4 little places before you get to the Crime Scene. What are those? They look like rentals or something lesser than the neighborhood.

Also if you go back out that way, there are homes or apts on the far side of Oberlin with balconies. I've seen people on those balconies/porches at 3:00 and 4:00 am. Young people.

/

Perfect desription of the area leesister.:toast:

I thought it was strange that Geil's house had no garage. I wonder how long he had lived there. At any rate, I'm glad there's someone on patrol in the neighborhood.

Being as it is a wooded area and even looks like it goes down into a ravine or ditch in the front, the front of the house being so wooded and below street level gives a lot of cover to a burglar. I just hope they catch the monster that did this to Kathy.

I did see on another board someone mentioned that John Geil had been out of town for some time. Does anyone know how true that is? With all the break-ins lately, someone could have been watching the house and planning on a break-in. I just can't figure out why they'd do it with Kathy's car in the driveway.

So D wakes up to 'footsteps', supposedly coming down the inside stairs?....She thinks she sees him?....he must immediately flee ...she goes out on the deck...sees nothing.
She closes and locks the door and checks on KT ...hears her snoring.
She then goes upstairs to bed around 3am.

Yes, we all agree this story is bizarre.
If mostly true, no doubt she was wasted.
If she was no make up a story to cover something up, why would she say something so sketchy?

Makes it hard to explain why she led the media to believe she heard footsteps in the morning before the 911 call.

Tells Hospital she thinks she saw someone, tells the media, after being cleared, she heard someone and Knew that someone was in that house.

They would've been better off to treat her like a suspect early on and analyzed her statements with some scrutiny. I'm not saying she was involved, only that her stories make no sense whatsoever.

/

I don't know of any mention of her locked car during these conversations. I did find it interesting that she included in her conversation that she realized "they had not locked the door" when she went out on the porch.I would never, ever, ever contribute to someone being accused of participating in, or having knowledge of such a horrific crime, but I cannot understand all of the inconsistencies in the information I am hearing and reading. I cannot imagine what it would be like to be falsely accused of a crime, much less the death of my sister. However, as we all look for explanations we tend to dwell on the unanswered questions, which this case seems to be full of, that are fuled by DH's own statements. I can only hope that in her confusion, shock, grief and fear she has portrayed a unrealistic picture of her role in the crime.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jp.52203