NC - Kathy Taft, 62, Raleigh, 6 March 2010 - #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone remember, early on in the investigation, that the LE asked if anyone had seen any landscapers in the area during that time? Haven't heard any more about that. Anyone speculate on what clue they would have had in the SW to indicate a landscaper?

I was thinking about K's pink jogging suit. Did K. have a regular exercise route from Cartier Drive? That might be something that the R.P. could ask J.G. about....Just a suggestion

thinking of the various tools that landscapers use...maybe the weapon that was used on her head? or the instrument with which she was violated sexually?

Could be some kind of tool, but I don't remember anything in the SW they retrieved?

Good to see the discussion move 'outside the family'.
Drew Planten was a college grad-professional.
He was also the victim's neighbor.
He was a very sick rapist/killer:loser:

Good to see the discussion move 'outside the family'.
Drew Planten was a college grad-professional.
He was also the victim's neighbor.
He was a very sick rapist/killer:loser:

Not to take the discussion of track but a friend of ours worked at the bank where he banked. Said they called him "Weird Drew" - they weren't surprised at all when the news came out. Very sick individual.

police asking for dna samples from neighbors, asking about landscapers -- sounds like something specific to that neighborhood
the question is what????

Not to take the discussion of track but a friend of ours worked at the bank where he banked. Said they called him "Weird Drew" - they weren't surprised at all when the news came out. Very sick individual.

Katsmom- Not trying to get off track here either...but will you give me a quick reminder about him....was he peeping on SB? And just got obessed with her? Stalked her? Mentally ill? Can't remember a thing about him....

If they have not ruled out the possibility that it was a random attack, it would make sense to look at those who were in the neighborhood.

JMO

I had not followed the Stephanie Bennett case so I went back and read the articles Just the Fax noted the link for in Post #533. Oh my, what a horrible crime. If that happened to my daughter ... I just can't imagine ... it is too horrible.

This also is off topic, but has anyone ever read the book "Lucky" by Alice Sebold who wrote "The Lovely Bones"? It is a memoir that "describes her experiences of being raped and how the experience shaped the rest of her life" (per Wikapedia). It is really good. You see how she was able to write "The Lovely Bones" so well b/c sadly she had experienced the horrible crime yet lived to tell it.

Yes, I agree...you never know who may be watching and waiting. The Houses in that area look like they are so close together and even if not a neighbor, maybe some of their visitors. Just doesn't make sense for a random attacker to attack the one that has bandages all over her head, etc. and possibly drugged out with her pain meds. She possibly would not remember if she saw someone anyway under those conditions. Just so disturbing to know that anyone would do this to KT. There is a lot more to this story than we know and may never know. Strange, strange, to say the least. Someone had used drugs in that house sometime, not necessarily that night but that is why they took the plastic bag corners. Could have been found in the trash can, possibly. I know of someone who had an addiction problem and that is how they stored what was left over from a bigger batch because they didn't have access to a tiny baggie. But then drugs and sex go hand in hand so I am so confused at this point, I think I will go to bed.

Katsmom- Not trying to get off track here either...but will you give me a quick reminder about him....was he peeping on SB? And just got obessed with her? Stalked her? Mentally ill? Can't remember a thing about him....

I'm not Katsmom but I feel compelled to answer, as I followed this case closely for years.

Drew was a peeping-tom in his apartment complex. He is also tied to the murder of another woman in Michigan. ( probably killed more) He was very smart but socially inapt. There is a new book out on this case called : EVIL NEXT DOOR by Amanda Lamb. LE caught him by setting up a fake web site for the victim which Drew visited often. Also others remember there had been a peeper in the apartment complex.... so LE started over on the investigation. Stephannie had a roomate but she was not there on the night of her murder. LE had to resort to getting Drew's work gloves from his job as he was very careful with his DNA.
Drew acted catonic in prison after getting caught, and eventually killed himself.

Smiles, you might be on to something with drugs and sex going hand in hand. A burglar could have stolen the purses, the Lexus (keys were there in the house), or anything else and a sick woman might have slept through the burglary. If sex were the motive because someone was high on say cocaine, I don't suppose her being an older woman would make any difference. But why kill her is the question, unless she heard something, got up and turned on the light, and he killed her so she couldn't identify him.

I'm not Katsmom but I feel compelled to answer, as I followed this case closely for years.

Drew was a peeping-tom in his apartment complex. He is also tied to the murder of another woman in Michigan. ( probably killed more) He was very smart but socially inapt. There is a new book out on this case called : EVIL NEXT DOOR by Amanda Lamb. LE caught him by setting up a fake web site for the victim which Drew visited often. Also others remember there had been a peeper in the apartment complex.... so LE started over on the investigation. Stephannie had a roomate but she was not there on the night of her murder. LE had to resort to getting Drew's work gloves from his job as he was very careful with his DNA.
Drew acted catonic in prison after getting caught, and eventually killed himself.

You are quick, susubaby! I was looking up a link to share but you've got the down-low on it. Police said Drew Planten was the suspicious person lurking outside Bennett's apartment before her death. I think it's interesting that Planten had no prior arrests (no DNA on file) and that kind of suspect is what that forensic psych is offering up on the KT case - possibly a first-time rapist/murderer. If the prediction is right, we could be in for a very long haul, just as in the SB case.
http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/120729/

You are quick, susubaby! I was looking up a link to share but you've got the down-low on it. Police said Drew Planten was the suspicious person lurking outside Bennett's apartment before her death. I think it's interesting that Planten had no prior arrests (no DNA on file) and that kind of suspect is what that forensic psych is offering up on the KT case - possibly a first-time rapist/murderer. If the prediction is right, we could be in for a very long haul, just as in the SB case.
http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/120729/

Oops, I meant to say Colette, not susubaby. I need to go to bed. Not thinking straight!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shaunie