OR - Kyron Horman, 7 yo Second grader, Portland, 4 June 2010 - Part #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can someone remind me of the sex offenders in the area? I know about the blonde, he/she. TIA
There are 198 RSO in this county. 30 are interested in little boys. Check out post 728 and 651.

I just hope media is not looking for sensation by interviewing kids from the school. After something of this magnitute, kids tend to exagerate to have the spotlight and will embellish minor incidents into omionous events. Also with LE releasing so little info, I doubt they will appreciate it either, if that is what happens. If any locals see this tonight, please report back, thanks.

I think that there are a lot of spotlight seekers in missing persons cases, especially when they hit the national news.

Dunno why a parent would call the news to put their child in that spotlight. You know the kid didn't make the call himself, and media wouldn't be allowed to interview children without a parent's permission.

Craziness ensues when tv cameras area around, I suppose.

I can't understand why another child on the bus would find it strange that kyron wasn't on the bus. I don't know this family of course, but if one of my kids didn't ride the bus one day or rode in the morning but not afternoon...none of the kids here would find it strange.

We had drama, after school for one child, so we picked him up. We had art club for another on a different day, so we picked her up. Why would a child find this strange if he didn't ride the bus.

I was going to say maybe he fell asleep on the bus, but nobody seeing him at the school that day and him being marked absent, eliminates that possibility. My daughter is 1 month almost exactly younger than Kyron, so this really hits close to home. I always give my kids a lecture when cases like this happen...

I keep trying in my mind, to vision Kyron, where could he have went, what would make him leave the school. I don't know about him, but my 7 yr old daughter, would never leave the school with anyone except a teacher(principal, office staff) or her dad or me. My kids go to school on a closed , guarded campus type thing (military family), but I still worry and talk to them constantly. My kids school is K-12, so I don't believe his school being K-8 had anything to do with his disappearance.

Sad thing is a child predator can find a way to lure a child. It doesn't matter how much a parent talks to their child it happens.

As far as LE saying that they are waiting for a call to come in, I have heard that before. It might just be something they say and not have any meaning at all.

I wonder how many parents came to the science fair? It's a work time, I feel. So, not a lot may be available.

Also, I would rather go to the talent show, so maybe more parents decided to take time off for that.

If not many parents and others came to the science fair, hopefully that will help narrow down who was seen.

But that one mother reported that she didn't pay much attention to anyone there.

Teachers may get involved in conversations with some parents and not notice others.

Hopefully, someone saw something at the school. Hopefully, they can narrow down who was there if it was someone that was a parent or relative. Hopefully, it's not some random perv.

http://www.oregonlive.com/hillsboro..._check_all_volunteers_under_test_program.html

This is a very interesting article about the lack of background checks of volunteers and chaperones - especially those that live within the district.

Edit: in hindsight, I find it creepy that this article is only six weeks old. Could a perp have gotten the idea from this article? Oh, good way to abduct a child - be a volunteer or chaperone for a busy event because you won't be checked.

This is scary. I know my son's school didn't attempt a background check of any kind on me when I was going to volunteer for his field trip to OMSI. It was a day trip that would have required hours spent with the children and things like supervising bathroom breaks and lunch time. You would think they would be checking even volunteering parents carefully with the rise of inter-family abuses that are happening on a daily basis.

I don't take a lot of weight in what kids are going to say at this point. When I was a kid, the Manson murderers were arrested in a desert town by where I grew up. The stuff I heard from my friends was VERY embellished. As gruesome as the murders were, you can imagine how horrid the stories were coming from my peers.

BTW, we might get rain again tomorrow in the afternoon. :(

Well, it is officially tuesday where I live and I sure hope that there is an answer today. I am just so baffled by this entire case and any possible scenario and my biggest hope is that LE is not as baffled as I am. :(

It's a small school, so that makes more sense that the kids would miss him on the bus. If a small group of kids rode every day and one was suddenly missing, those kids would notice.

This is scary. I know my son's school didn't attempt a background check of any kind on me when I was going to volunteer for his field trip to OMSI. It was a day trip that would have required hours spent with the children and things like supervising bathroom breaks and lunch time. You would think they would be checking even volunteering parents carefully with the rise of inter-family abuses that are happening on a daily basis.

As good as our school is about making you check in the buildings, they didn't make chaperones do background checks until the last couple of years. I went on many band trips without one. They started doing them the year they said my son could go on his own without me along. (Because of his Asperger's, I had to go all the time for many years).

It is so sad that our world is just getting darker and darker. :(

I only joined WS recently...started reading voraciously everything here after I heard about Mackenzie Cowell. That case is still unresolved. Then I became interested in Ethan's case. Ugh, how that was was resolved. Also Kayleah, and another ugh on the way it resolved. Also Shantina and son...another ugh.

Now I'm following Venus, Beth, Haleigh, and this sweet boy who looks so much like mine did at that age. All unresolved.

None of these cases are about me, and I don't even pretend to have a stake in them. I don't even know any of these people. IT's amazing how part of our human condition is that we're programmed to care about others, even when we don't know them.

I know this may sound selfish, but I get disheartened to see so many cases end badly. Just once I'd love to see a case I'm following have a headline with Found Safe preceding the child or adult's name.

Sorry for the testimonial...just wondering if my sentiments are shared with others.

They do not do background checks on parent volunteers at the schools where I live. I am going to contact the Supt here about some of these issues.

It is interesting that other school districts do background checks on parent volunteers.

Do they deny anyone that has a felony or just sex issues or violence or how does it work?

I also like the idea of visitors to a school handing over their license until they leave. Good ideas.

It's a small school, so that makes more sense that the kids would miss him on the bus. If a small group of kids rode every day and one was suddenly missing, those kids would notice.

I'm just wondering why, if he was missed on the bus, why wasn't he missed in school? Especially since he was there earlier.

As good as our school is about making you check in the buildings, they didn't make chaperones do background checks until the last couple of years. I went on many band trips without one. They started doing them the year they said my son could go on his own without me along. (Because of his Asperger's, I had to go all the time for many years).

It is so sad that our world is just getting darker and darker. :(

My son's elementary school begged for chaperones when he was that age. So few parents are available to take off work for a day to go on trips and such. Never any background checks done.

I guess the only way to have safe chaparones these days is to leave all the parents at home and hire substitute teachers to chaparone for the day. A lot of people would pass background checks, but don't like opening themselves up to such scrutiny because of past divorces, or maybe a shoplifting charge when they were 18, or such.

I've got a lot of traffic tickets from my pre-25 days. I wouldn't want the school to know what a speed demon I used to be. Ha.

I read and study a lot of history, from all different ages, and there has always been plenty of perversion and violence in the world, directed toward children as well as adults. We just hear about things so quickly now, no matter where they take place, it makes it seem as though it is non-stop.

While we want to be aware, of course, at the same time the seemingly endless stream of horrible deeds can be very depressing. OT I read a study last week that people who start their day with the news are more depressed than others and I can see why.

I'm just wondering why, if he was missed on the bus, why wasn't he missed in school? Especially since he was there earlier.

At this point, they are saying they got their wires crossed somehow. One report said that the teacher thought the SM said he had an appt., but the SM mentioned an appt. for a later date. That hasn't been confirmed by LE, however. I think LE is saying SM last saw him going to his classroom.

Very true that if a predator wants a child, I am sure they can lure the child out, no matter how safety conscious we are. I am just very thankful that this gave me another chance to talk with my kids about things like this. Yet I am so very sorry it was under these circumstances that prompted me to talk to them about this.

On this day with the school so busy, and so many people coming in and out, dropping their kids off. How could nobody see him leaving with anyone. Would someone not notice a kid walking away from the school instead of towards it ...notice him talking to an adult away from other kids. How could someone not notice him walking out the door. As busy as this school was, and nobody..caught a glimpse of him walking out or being carried out, or leaving with someone known to him.

I sure hope LE knows the answer to those questions, and are just not releasing it. They can keep it as quiet as they want, PLEASE :( just bring this sweet child home.

My son's elementary school begged for chaperones when he was that age. So few parents are available to take off work for a day to go on trips and such. Never any background checks done.

I guess the only way to have safe chaparones these days is to leave all the parents at home and hire substitute teachers to chaparone for the day. A lot of people would pass background checks, but don't like opening themselves up to such scrutiny because of past divorces, or maybe a shoplifting charge when they were 18, or such.

I've got a lot of traffic tickets from my pre-25 days. I wouldn't want the school to know what a speed demon I used to be. Ha.

Seems like every time I turn around anymore I'm having a background check and/or fingerprints taken! Even as a helper in Sunday School! And as a moderator for a crime forum! :D

I'm off to bed. I'm praying that those words of blessing are on this thread in the morning - "FOUND ALIVE".

:praying: Lord, please bring Kyron home safe!

Seems like every time I turn around anymore I'm having a background check and/or fingerprints taken! Even as a helper in Sunday School! And as a moderator for a crime forum! :D

I'm off to bed. I'm praying that those words of blessing are on this thread in the morning - "FOUND ALIVE".

:praying: Lord, please bring Kyron home safe!

Cool... I'm glad you had a background check done as moderator, just in case I end up trapped in the broom closet with you. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buffalosleuther