2010.11.30 - Discussion of Documents, re: Rape Allegations, TSY and LJY

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rough transcript:

Again, a source close to the investigation says police are just not all that interested in the 2 cousins from Burke County anymore because there was just no credible evidence in that house that there had been any rape or killing of Zahra Baker there.

Could we get a rough transcript of the reporter's comments, please, for those posters unable to watch the video? TIA!

bellyup summed it up here

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5861755&postcount=144"]Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - 2010.11.30 - Discussion of Documents, re: Rape Allegations, TSY and LJY[/ame]

I really wonder what the reporter is basing this on. If you look at the link to this particular warrant, there is no listed inventory with the warrant WCNC posted. Did they forget to scan that part or what ?

I would rather see the inventory list before I believe this statement by the press. I haven't found the inventory yet...

There is no inventory list b/c the box is marked on the actual search warrant that states, "I did not seize any items".

Okay, this thread is going to be locked for now. It will not reopen unless LE directly names these men again as suspects, or we have significant MSM reason to believe this is so.

A new thread on the rape allegations, sans suspects, will be opened soon.

I would rather err on the side of not smearing two innocent guys of such a horrific crime.

This is a fresh thread to discuss recent rape allegations, without suspects due to the possibility yesterday's reports were unreliable. Should LE and MSM give us further evidence to have suspects in mind, we will go with that when/if it happened. For now, the rape itself also stands in question, but I wanted to open this thread in case people wanted to pursue the story further.

PLEASE: No sleuthing ANY non-suspects. No hinting or speculation on the two men named in documents yesterday or any other possibilities.

We do not want to ruin anyone with such allegations.

As long as this thread remains useful and within the rules, it can stay open for discussion of the rape story (sans suspects), and the possibility Zahra was killed as a result of a sexual assault.

New thread:

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5862067"]10.01.10 - Discussion of Rape Allegations, NOT SUSPECTS - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

Please, continue to discuss the rape story, without naming any names, until we have more to go on.

Thank you for bearing with me through this confusion. :)

A discussion of the report casting doubt on the rape story can be found here, complete with link to the report:

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=121198"]12.01.10 - Report: Rape Allegations from an "Unreliable Source" - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

New rape story thread, without suspects:

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=121202"]10.01.10 - Discussion of Rape Allegations, NOT SUSPECTS - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

This is a fresh thread to discuss recent rape allegations, without suspects due to the possibility yesterday's reports were unreliable. Should LE and MSM give us further evidence to have suspects in mind, we will go with that when/if it happened. For now, the rape itself also stands in question, but I wanted to open this thread in case people wanted to pursue the story further.

PLEASE: No sleuthing ANY non-suspects. No hinting or speculation on the two men named in documents yesterday or any other possibilities.

We do not want to ruin anyone with such allegations.

As long as this thread remains useful and within the rules, it can stay open for discussion of the rape story (sans suspects), and the possibility Zahra was killed as a result of a sexual assault.

As Zarah's case is the first one I've followed this closely, perhaps a seasoned sleuther can answer something for me ....
At this stage of the investigation when warrants are released does LE generally make any statements or shed any light to what the warrants contain or have they shut down pending the investigation and will not say anything further ? Ie; is LE likely to make any statements in regard to the alleged rape allegations or is this something we will have to wait to hear about (through an arrest or non-arrest or during discovery once someone is charged ?)

Their names should never have been released if they had already been cleared and this considered an unreliable source. Freedom of information provides protection for innocent parties in special circumstances. Minor's names aren't released. Victims of sexual crimes are not released. The source wasn't identified.

This is an emotional case down there. A lot of people are attached to this little girl. What if someone had harmed one of these two before they got around to saying they didn't take it seriously.

If the names couldn't have been blocked there should have been an announcement prior to the press release. LE could have made a statement right before the release time.

I know these two are not stellar members of the community but I DETEST seeing things like this happen to poor and uneducated members of society because they don't have the money to prevent it or the money to be a huge pain and not worth the hassle.

Change the demographics of this case, like the Cummings case, and the peripheral characters would be handled differently.

Their names should never have been released if they had already been cleared and this considered an unreliable source. Freedom of information provides protection for innocent parties in special circumstances. Minor's names aren't released. Victims of sexual crimes are not released. The source wasn't identified.

This is an emotional case down there. A lot of people are attached to this little girl. What if someone had harmed one of these two before they got around to saying they didn't take it seriously.

If the names couldn't have been blocked there should have been an announcement prior to the press release. LE could have made a statement right before the release time.

I know these two are not stellar members of the community but I DETEST seeing things like this happen to poor and uneducated members of society because they don't have the money to prevent it or the money to be a huge pain and not worth the hassle.

Change the demographics of this case, like the Cummings case, and the peripheral characters would be handled differently.

I agree!

It should be noted that HPD was reported as not wanting these documents released, IIRC. Perhaps this might have been why.

I do wish they had blanked out the names or made some sort of statement.

Rough transcript:

Again, a source close to the investigation says police are just not all that interested in the 2 cousins from Burke County anymore because there was just no credible evidence in that house that there had been any rape or killing of Zahra Baker there.

I have no inside knowledge as to whether or not a rape happened. But I do hope that they (HPD or the DA) are not giving this one a pass b/c they have bigger fish to fry. IF (and that's a big IF at this point) a rape happened, whomever did it should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law so that other innocent victims are not subjected to this type of abuse.

Zahra will never suffer again but I would hate for other children to suffer b/c of inadequate police work. I am still shaking my head that they did not take the mattress and at least test it. They had every right to. It was clearly laid out in the search warrant. Even if they did a presumptive test for blood on it at the scene, what harm would it have done to at least take the thing and test it?

One more thing, I would like to say about this....if HPD really had no interest in these allegations....why in the world did they not make an immediate statement about it yesterday? Why have they not made a statement about it today? It would be very easy for a representative to go on record officially and say yes this subject was looked at but nothing came of it.

This needed more than a "thank you". An excellent post, Redhead. Any poster here ought to ask themselves how THEY would feel being branded a child rapist based on nothing more than the word of a friend of a friend of an unreliable source.

It OUGHT to frighten the life out of people.

As Zarah's case is the first one I've followed this closely, perhaps a seasoned sleuther can answer something for me ....
At this stage of the investigation when warrants are released does LE generally make any statements or shed any light to what the warrants contain or have they shut down pending the investigation and will not say anything further ? Ie; is LE likely to make any statements in regard to the alleged rape allegations or is this something we will have to wait to hear about (through an arrest or non-arrest or during discovery once someone is charged ?)

Sometimes, and sometimes not. Usually, in my experience, documents are just released with MSM commentary, since they are the people most anxious to "scoop" the info.

This case is fairly skimpy on pressers, compared to other cases I have followed.

This needed more than a "thank you". An excellent post, Redhead. Any poster here ought to ask themselves how THEY would feel being branded a child rapist based on nothing more than the word of a friend of a friend of an unreliable source.

Which is exactly why I don't understand why HPD has not came out officially and squashed this? If I were one of these gentlemen, I would be demanding that HPD make a statement on my behalf. I just keep asking myself that question over and over. Why will HPD not come out officially and squash this?

Which is exactly why I don't understand why HPD has not came out officially and squashed this? If I were one of these gentlemen, I would be demanding that HPD make a statement on my behalf. I just keep asking myself that question over and over. Why will HPD not come out officially and squash this?

That I couldn't say, Sal. Perhaps LE is just now in the process of tying up loose ends in that investigation and the release of the search warrants forced their hand a bit. Hard to say.

Hubby just had to listen to me rant like a lunatic about how we should all be screaming about this because the more it happens the more acceptable it will become and the lower the standard will become. And fourth hand info from an unreliable but unnamed source is pretty low to begin with. I don't know who to write to or who to rant to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarmenHarrison