State v Bradley Cooper 4/14/11

Status
Not open for further replies.
Constitution or not, it doesn't look good from a LE stand-point when a person is found murdered and their spouse won't let them look around for clues.

Of course, it's better to get a SW, because then they can look deeper.

JMHO
fran

That doesn't look bad to me. He let them look and take photographs when she was missing. At that point, it was a murder investigation and he did the right thing.

If completely innocent... what would be A reason for not letting LE look thru your home? Just wondering.

In the Duke Lacrosse case, the players fully co-operated from the beginning.
The prosecutor used the info collected to misrepresent evidence to build a case to get himself re-elected. In hindsight, they would have been better off not co-operating.

We all know Defense attorney's have big ego's and want notches in their belts, that is not a secret. They also become jaded I am sure, but they do not have the power to jail people, or power at all in the larger scheme of things. Having government sanctioned power is the issue at hand, and how it can at times cause corruption, especially when we look at how they are recognized for success.

And defense attorneys do not have power? They have the power, as evidenced in the OJ case, to let a killer back out into society, depite the dedicated efforts of many. The justice system may not be perfect, but they do their job every day to help protect the safety and well-being of our society. And defense attorneys also do honorable work, trying to make sure innocent people are not convicted of crimes they did not convict. There is good and bad everywhere in the world, in every corner, even lurking in your foyer at night....

I believe in the deposition BC said he knew where Fielding Drive was as he had seen it on maps. The need for the google search was to find a lunch spot.

Did someone actually say that? Sorry just got home and trying to catch up. Because he was at the office that day in RTP so why would he google his home area code for a lunch spot?

I have pretty close to the same commute, I would never go back to Cary for lunch from RTP, I would spend the entire lunch break driving...

Leaving his house, I think the Lilly Atkins Rd. would be short cut to head South on Holly Springs, and perhaps not much there to go to. And maybe not much to return from, in a car.

However, it is well within his logical training area for distance cycling.

Yep, I see what you're saying... Lilly Atkins is in the vicinity of the pavilion area and lake. True that he most likely would not take that route typically, rather, he would take Cary Pkwy (which does intersect with Holly Springs not too far from Fielding.) But if he were to go the opposite direction from Cary Pkwy and go further into Lochmere, he would run into it pretty quickly also. It's all like a big circle (or square?) in that area.

27518 was a new zip code as of July, 2006.

Which makes it odd they would change it's boundaries without notice after 2008 since that would cause other people to change their zip code, there would have to be notice.

Of all the careers on God's good Earth ... I swear I never,ever wish to be a def atty. Not because of the grueling work schedule and stress ~ but merely b/c I could never, ever take on cases where the logic screams louder than fact and I'd have to parade around up there and put everyone else on trial except my client.

Agreed there are cases where I'd work my butt off to clear a suspect's name whom I genuinely thought / felt / sensed was 100% innocent. But to go this far down the road with specimens for clients (such as Peterson X 3, Hacking, JLYoung, Skakel, Eileen Wournos, Ray Caruth, Ira Einhorn, Chris Longo, Westerfield, Blake, that sick monster who snatched Carlie Brucia, the Jaycee case, the list is endless ...) ... no way; couldn't do it. Would resign.

As for child rapists, paedophiles and murderers? Nope. They'd cease breathing in my hands. Juror? NO ... I read too much first. That's downright honest, right or wrong - just couldn't do it. Hang me for it - but I couldn't do it.

Excellent thoughts. I feel the very same way. I realize, as in the parents of Jon Benet Ramsey, that defense attorneys are needed. But for the most part, I could never, ever defend anybody whom I thought, or knew for a fact, was guilty.

That doesn't look bad to me. He let them look and take photographs when she was missing. At that point, it was a murder investigation and he did the right thing.

Perhaps he did do the correct thing according to a defense attorney.

As for me, I'd give 'em a key and let them look anywhere they wanted. At that point, my mind would not be on MYSELF, it would be on finding the killer of my loved one.

JMHO
fran

I believe in the deposition BC said he knew where Fielding Drive was as he had seen it on maps. The need for the google search was to find a lunch spot.

Sounds like they were going on a picnic.
icon5.gif
Possible.

Excellent thoughts. I feel the very same way. I realize, as in the parents of Jon Benet Ramsey, that defense attorneys are needed. But for the most part, I could never, ever defend anybody whom I thought, or knew for a fact, was guilty.

That's why def attorneys NEVER ask their client if they're guilty. They ASSUME they're innocent and that's the way they'll defend them.

JMHO
fran

So now Kurtz is objecting to the letter he sent to Det. Daniels as "hearsay"..isnt this in response to a letter or reaching out to Brad's lawyers who publically via media ascerts their client is cooperating in the investigation..Yikes..

Looks like Kurtz is really reaching here....weak, IMO.

Did someone actually say that? Sorry just got home and trying to catch up. Because he was at the office that day in RTP so why would he google his home area code for a lunch spot?

I have pretty close to the same commute, I would never go back to Cary for lunch from RTP, I would spend the entire lunch break driving...

When you leave late and take 1.5+ hours - it's quite possible.

I wouldn't do it either - but BC seemed to have no issue with it.

At that point on a Friday - I'd just leave early.

When you leave late and take 1.5+ hours - it's quite possible.

I wouldn't do it either - but BC seemed to have no issue with it.

At that point on a Friday - I'd just leave early.

They didn't have lunch in Cary they had lunch less than 5 minutes from Cisco.

That's why def attorneys NEVER ask their client if they're guilty. They ASSUME they're innocent and that's the way they'll defend them.

JMHO
fran

When I was younger, one of my dearest friends was a defense attorney just starting out. I asked him one night how in the world could he defend a person if he knew he was guilty. His reply was that 'it's not up to me to prove he's innocent--it's up to the state to prove he's guilty'.
I understood his response but then I asked him how he slept at night and he never actually answered.

Perhaps he did do the correct thing according to a defense attorney.

As for me, I'd give 'em a key and let them look anywhere they wanted. At that point, my mind would not be on MYSELF, it would be on finding the killer of my loved one.

JMHO
fran

And what exactly are they going to be looking for in the house if she was killed while out running?

OK, this is the first case I have followed here, so I have to ask a noob question.

I saw some posts earlier today about the "Verdict Watch" and some folks referring to duct taping their hands to their chairs to keep from posting something..

To prevent getting myself into trouble in the future... what is the story here?

What goes on here, or perhaps more properly fails to go on here when the Jury is out? When does the blackout period begin and end...

Sorry if this is in the TOS, but I don't recall seeing anything on it.

TIA

And what exactly are they going to be looking for in the house if she was killed while out running?

Don't have the stats, but have heard before that most adults who are missing, are missing because they want to be.

So, I would think that among other things, the cops might be looking for things to suggest that the person was planning to run away. Could be obvious stuff like passports, keys, money.... or less obvious stuff like mementos, personal papers.

MOO

Don't have the stats, but have heard before that most adults who are missing, are missing because they want to be.

So, I would think that among other things, the cops might be looking for things to suggest that the person was planning to run away. Could be obvious stuff like passports, keys, money.... or less obvious stuff like mementos, personal papers.

MOO

I could see that on Saturday...but not after her body was found. And again, he left them completely alone in the house on Saturday.

Why is that not good? At that point, it's a murder investigation.

Yeah, it's a murder investigation because it's obvious she didn't fall in the ditch and die. But nobody said it has anything to do with Brad. Just that 'his wife has been murdered'. If my husband got murdered outside of my house, and the cops said, 'we need to search your home', why would I care? I'd know there's nothing in my house to implicate me, because I didn't kill him, but somebody did, so search away.

Yeah, it's a murder investigation because it's obvious she didn't fall in the ditch and die. But nobody said it has anything to do with Brad. Just that 'his wife has been murdered'. If my husband got murdered outside of my house, and the cops said, 'we need to search your home', why would I care? I'd know there's nothing in my house to implicate me, because I didn't kill him, but somebody did, so search away.

Again, I hope you are never put in that situation, but if you are...you should think long and hard about taking that kind of stance. If you haven't watched these yet, I strongly suggest you do:

http://boingboing.net/2008/07/28/law-prof-and-cop-agr.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member