2011.05.13 - Jury Selection DAY FIVE Afternoon Session

Status
Not open for further replies.
You know what:
I'm so sick of the race card being thrown out there (including this). I wouldn't give a hoot what color of skin the jurors are as long as he/she can can be competent enough to be on the jury. Same goes for any situation. I don't hate people because of skin color NOR do I pick friends because he/she is black,white, poka dot, etc. I think the average joe feels the same way
I guess having a all-white jury means the court is being racist,bigot, etc NEVER MIND THE FACT THE JUDGE IS BLACK AMERICAN (and a excellent one to boot)

I think if she used the word 'heresay' when she tried to explain herself I think this is one of the problems, some people do not articulate good enough for theirselves or others, especially in this case..

Wow, I thought a peremptory challenge did not have to be backed up by cause. I had no idea this could happen.

I didnt know this either. I thought they could use strike whenever they wanted.
I don't think this is fair.

So was state not allowed to strike her at all? Or were they asking for the judge to strike her? I could have sworn they said they wanted to use one of their own strikes.

The state used a strike. But the court disallowed it based on the DT's Batson challenge, which asks the state to prove that their strike was not based on her race. The state could not come up with a reason that she was so different from previous candidates that gave similar answers and were not striken.

This is bad. This is a type of juror who could dither in the deliberations and refuse to reach a decision, so just be off the general track in the deliberations.

MOO

We all know so much regarding forensics, mitigations and so on. However, there is a lot of the general public who really could care less about this stuff.

Just checkin' in....whose the blonde in the pant suit? TIA

We cannot see what race this lady is, but from what we are hearing I don't know anyone here who would see her being capable of assessing complicated topics.

I've never seriously believed there could be a hung jury in this case.
Not sure about that anymore.

Why does the DT keep asking about the Innocence Project?

They are planting the seed that her case will be taken up after conviction by The Innocence Project.

You know what they say......OK well just me... but....a well planned planting yields a better harvest.

And NO....I am not a farmer.

It's all in the seeds.

There is NO WAY this lady will be able to grasp anything complex. I hope SA gets rid of her. Can you imagine trying to explain botany/chloroform/high tech information to her?

Hmm ZsaZsa - I wonder if that is actually true - she is someone who isn't constantly chatting back and forth with friends. She is slow to answer, but it isn't a processing problem - when she finally speaks, she sounds quite intelligent IMO. We forget how zippy those of us who are constantly communicating via email, cell, computer's actually are. Heck, I have three phones, seven email accounts etc that I monitor 18 hours a day. Compare that to someone who uses none of the above. I forgot to mention the TV is also on. How silly is that!!

I think this lady was misunderstood because she is older...

I also think they did a disservice by not getting to know at least a little bit more about her.

moo

I didn't think His Honor could do that. I assume they will still be able to strike tomorrow?
He may be bound and determined to seat a jury, but it won't help if one of them causes a mistrial. jmo

(Sorry these notes are so short..they didn't question her very in depth at ALL).

JUROR RECAP #1319- African American female.

Pretrial Publicity: *Hasn't heard anything about the case from her family, friends, etc. *All she knows is "a baby got killed". *Says she doesn't pay much attention to the news. *Didn't hear anything regarding who could be responsible for Caylee's death. *Says she is 100% certain she can be unbiased. *Doesn't have a newspaper subscription, watch, or read the news. *Has a Facebook account but only uses it for games (Farmville). No other social networking accounts. *Only watches cowboy/western stuff on TV. *Wants to be a juror because she believes it's her civic duty.

Death Penalty Stance: Indifferent. *Says she has never really thought about it, has no opinions on it. *Says "I think I could" vote for the death penalty under the right circumstances. *Would base her decision on the facts..can't decide in general if she's for/against it.

State: Challenge based upon her stating she "does not like judging other people" and she indicated "I just don't know" in regards to the death penalty. Defense: No objections/challenges.

Judge: States challenge overruled.

Called back for next round.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads