GUILTY IN - Christian Choate, 13, starved, beaten to death, Gary, April 2009

(CNN) -- Why did no one miss him? Why didn't anyone seem to even notice he wasn't around?

"Pretty disturbing, isn't it?" asked Rob Arnold, deputy commander of the Lake County, Indiana, sheriff's department. "I think everyone is scrambling to try to find that out."

He was 13 years old -- was no one aware, over the course of two years, that he seemed to have simply vanished?

(snip)

http://www.cnn.com/2011/OPINION/05/22/greene.missing.boy/index.html?hpt=T2

This article goes into great detail about what Christian went through... just to forewarn everyone. :sick:

(CNN) -- Why did no one miss him? Why didn't anyone seem to even notice he wasn't around?

"Pretty disturbing, isn't it?" asked Rob Arnold, deputy commander of the Lake County, Indiana, sheriff's department. "I think everyone is scrambling to try to find that out."

He was 13 years old -- was no one aware, over the course of two years, that he seemed to have simply vanished?

(snip)

http://www.cnn.com/2011/OPINION/05/22/greene.missing.boy/index.html?hpt=T2

These two should be locked in a dog cage, beaten and starved to death as their punishment.... :furious:

Sadly - the minister at Christian's memorial called him 'Christopher' twice and the cameraman from NBC dropped his camera during the service.

This case just hurts my heart. I cannot fathom anyone treating another human being like this, much less a child. I wonder when Christian ran away where he went and how they caught him. Was there any police involvement and if so, why did they not check out this situation a bit more?

I've read some comments on some of the news articles that point to some neighbors involvement as far as calling Child Services, yet it fell flat with a knock on the door and talking outside the trailer.

We have read that some people outside the immediate family knew what was happening to Christian and did nothing.

Then there is the homeschooling situation. I want to make myself clear that I am not knocking those that home school, but there should be some fail safe put into place for these children to check on them and make sure that there is no abuse in the home, because while all children being home schooled are not abused, those that are being severely abused are taken out of the schools eventually and being "home schooled" so no one will know about the abuse.

As far his bio mother; I would not like to be too harsh on her either right now but I cant imagine not pursuing what is going on with my children. She had supposedly left Riley because he was abusive. How would she not worry that her kids may be in danger.

Unfortunately, it seems Christian was failed by so many.

As far as the handwriting analysis, according to the affidavit posted by Bessie (Thank you Bessie) they stated there were several personal letters recovered by Christian.. so maybe they are trying to rule out Kim and Riley as authors?

Wow, in reading that affidavit, his sister was MUCH more involved in the beatings than previously said. In one case even Kim told her to stop choking him. Then according to another child in the house (Tanya) it was his sister, Christina that choked him to death.. thats how he died...

According to Tayna, Christina was in charge of feeding Christian but threw his food away and Tayna told and the sister was beaten.

It also states that according to other children in the home, Christian's ice cold baths were a no no and she was punished for it..However, the day before he died he had another ice bath and went into shock.

It goes on and on... I definitely expect some sort of charges against the sister Christina after reading that. Hitting him with metal poles, etc.. UGH!

My condolensces to the OP - you might not want to read what I am going to post.

Half way through this thread I had to look up whether or not Indiana had the death penalty. This story has been all over local news all day. The earliest I caught mid afternoon or the 4pm televison news so no link - was the childs body was so decomposed he couldn't be identified but the bible was described as being in good condition.

Then I come here and read this child was buried and covered with lime- at 'granny's house and MSM is reporting bio mom relinquished custody because she did not want to raise him and his now 17 yr old sister?

Then Dad apparently throws daughter under the bus to save step mom? Claiming the daughter not step mom helped bury him?

Ok, daughter aside - and neighbors who tried to call and report abuse aside - at what point do fists not fly? If for nothing other than no one is listening and if it takes kicking some or making some noise to get attention?

I suppose if I felt that desperate that no one was listening, it would be worth raising a hollar and maybe going to jail if it meant saving a childs life.

I'm flabbergasted - gobsmacked that this child was just taken across the street and 'sprinkled' with lime (seriously Gacy and the lime) in a shallow grave on a property that was not too wide - trailer parks are not even 25' wide city lots and no one had a red flag when 'granny' moved in and someone started 'remodeling' ' grannies' home? Seriously, trailer park lots are not even owned by the residents. Where the hmpf was the property managers? and how do you not notice what neighbors are doing when they are a few feet away?

I do not blame the 15 year old daughter. One had to be subjected to a whole lot of abuse to not speak up after being told to go try CPR on her already dead sibling.

It is very very sad this now 17 yr old couldn't even trust a neighbor at the age of 15- when neighbors reported 'big parties' for all 10 kids in this tiny two bedroom single wide trailor. In most area's occupancy with a family of 12 in a 2 br trailer would be a violation - someone should have known to call and report. and if reports are accurate that someone did call CPS - well I suppose blood on your dime is a bit different than heads rolling. No number of heads rolling will bring this child back.

I am just learning of this case today, due to the article written by a CNN journalist.

Cubby, you're post mimics my own outrage at the news of the atrocities this sweet boy had to endure, and I would get a TO if I said what I really wanted to say.

Rest in Peace, dear boy, you did not deserve any of it, and may you be pain free and in peace. :(

This case really gets to me. After reading through the new affidavit a few times I just sat here shaking for awhile. Christian's story deserves to be high profile because of the prolonged abuse and the adults who were aware but took no action to save him. Unfortunately, it will get little attention because it happened two years ago, and there's no mystery surrounding it. The fact that he was an adolescent boy doesn't help, either. The sister could be the hook to incite intrigue, but she hasn't been charged or made public appearances. In the one interview she did give, the reporter said she did so with permission from her guardian. That's a good thing because I wouldn't want her to be exploited. That's what it would take, though, to get this case the attention it deserves and send a message that it is unacceptable and just plain wrong to stand by and do nothing when a child is being abused. I want to hear reporters putting the hard questions to relatives, neighbors, school personnel, and family social workers. I'd like to watch them squirm around while they try to come up with an answer.

Just a few things I noted in the affidavit:

-- The two cousins and a stepsister who lived with the family did not express a dislike for Christian. On the contrary, they talked of sneaking food to him, and recording and photographing beatings.

-- The cold baths were the older sister's idea (as I suspected). One cousin told LE that Riley actually beat Christina for it because it was during a time when he and KK were trying to nurse Christian back to health. (Not because they cared about Christian, but because they realized they had gone too far and didn't want to answer for his death. IMO)

-- Christina told detectives she saw photographs of Christian in a house in Kentucky. LE confiscated computers and electronic equipment from the house, along with a blanket and personal letters "composed by" Christian while he was there. Does anyone recall reading that before? I hadn't. The cage was recovered from a storage locker in Crofton, KY, so I wonder if the house is in Crofton.

There is a lot more in the affidavit for anyone who can stand to read it.

As far as the handwriting analysis, according to the affidavit posted by Bessie (Thank you Bessie) they stated there were several personal letters recovered by Christian.. so maybe they are trying to rule out Kim and Riley as authors?

Wow, in reading that affidavit, his sister was MUCH more involved in the beatings than previously said. In one case even Kim told her to stop choking him. Then according to another child in the house (Ty) it was his sister, Christina that choked him to death.. thats how he died...

According to Ty, Christina was in charge of feeding Christian but threw his food away and Ty told and the sister was beaten.

It also states that according to other children in the home, Christian's ice cold baths were a no no and she was punished for it..However, the day before he died he had another ice bath and went into shock.

It goes on and on... I definitely expect some sort of charges against the sister Christina after reading that. Hitting him with metal poles, etc.. UGH!
Kindra, please edit your post to remove the child's name. Normally, we use first and last initials to discuss children Since they both start with T first and last initials won't work. Why don't we refer to them as Tb and Ty, for now. I think it's okay to use Christina's name because she was interviewed by a MSM reporter, but I will double check to be certain.

I think Kindra might be right about the handwriting analysis being related to Christian's letters. I found it odd that the affidavit referred to letters "composed by" Christian. It makes sense that if someone else actually wrote them, LE would want to idenitify that person. So now I'm curious about a couple of other things.

-- What did the letters say?

-- Were they actually Christian's words?

-- Or, were they fake runaway or suicide notes written by the perps to cover his disappearance if questions were raised?

I've done a little sleuthing. Many of the players named in the affidavit are on FB. Their walls are private, for the most part, but not their friends lists, so it's pretty easy to link them together. More searching showed that at least one has an address listed in Crofton, KY. It's also interesting that the Choates, Kubinas, and even Christian's mother all have some connection to Crofton. One of the aunts (KK's sister JH) has an address listed in Crofton. Yet, they were all living 330 miles away in Gary, IN. When LE questioned his mother on May 1st, she was living just 3-4 miles from the mobile home where Christian was tortured and murdered. Was she living there 2-3 years ago, I wonder?

OH My. I don't know what to say. Quite a large group to be keeping such nasty secrets... This is hard to swallow. I have been following this for a while but am just now reading this document. This little girl is very troubling. All of these kids need immediate attention and longterm monitoring I'm afraid. But this sister is far beyond "in trouble". She really needs to face the music on this herself.

This is a heartbreaking story. I'm glad that Christian is safe now...in spite of what it cost him. :(

Kindra, please edit your post to remove the child's name. Normally, we use first and last initials to discuss children Since they both start with T first and last initials won't work. Why don't we refer to them as Tb and Ty, for now. I think it's okay to use Ca's name because she was interviewed by a MSM reporter, but I will double check to be certain.

Thank you for letting me know Bessie. I went to edit my post but the edit button is no longer there. Is there another way to edit, or perhaps a mod could take the name out? Sorry, her name was mentioned in previous newspaper articles and she gave an interview so I thought it would be ok.

This story literally made me sick. These "parents" deserve to be tortured every day for the rest of their lives. And all of those involved in this childs torture deserve to be punished to some extent.

SICK!

Shocking. Sickening. Maddening. How does this even happen???? No Other words.

If you can get through reading this, a piece of your heart and soul will be missing.

I have never imagined anything like it, and to think of the poor boy living it, along with the children witnessing it, well, I don't have any words.

Just tears.

my God? The sheer number of people who witnessed this and every single one kept the secret?!?

Humans suck. I gotta step outta here for a little bit. I have read some pretty disturbing affidavits in my day but this one . . .

Not for the faint at heart. That poor child.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
radnewal
Back