GUILTY SC - Alexis Greene, 6 wks, dies of morphine OD, Campobello, 13 Nov 2010

wfgodot

Former Member
Reaction score
Stephanie Irene Greene, 37, Charged With Homicide By Child Abuse (wyff4.com)
---
After the Spartanburg County Coroner’s Office and the Spartanburg County Sheriff’s Office investigated the death, they determined that lethal amounts of medications, including morphine, had been passed to the infant through the breast milk of its mother.
---
According to a representative from the South Carolina Department of Health and Environmental Control, Greene used fraudulent prescriptions to obtain painkillers in patch and pill form from a pharmacy in Inman. The DHEC representative said Greene got the drugs between March 2009 and December 2010.
more at link above

booking photo

WOW I am just unsure what to think of that right now.

my first thought was manslaughter was maybe more reasonable but ......I nursed my lil one for a long time and ANY med I was on I was careful to research (not that I ever needed morphine or anything :|) and even when I had severe thrush in the boobies, my doc was leery to prescribe meds in case it got into my milk...NO WAY with a newborn did her doc not warn her ....!!

Looks like she got it fraudulently so her Doctor wouldn't have known. I bet she was doing it more out of desperation than hedonism. Addiction is a horrible disease.
Poor baby RIP

Ms. Greene illegally got prescription opiates 32 times in the past two years from the same pharmacy. O.K. let's not even get into how she was able to dupe one pharmacy all those times.

Meanwhile if she was obtaining these drugs for two whole years I have to wonder if little Alexis was born addicted or in the very least dependent.

When I see "Patch" and morphine in the same article I automatically figure they mean Fentanyl which is 100% more potent than morphine. So we have a 37 year old woman somehow obtaining illegal scripts or well however she goes about getting her opiates breast feeding.

Please, please, please tell me why? Why? If money is an issue and it would be with addiction she could have went to WIC or got food stamps or something. Why are you breastfeeding? Unless she wanted to show mercy on her infant who was in withdrawl and that effectively killed her.

So many questions. Did she deliver in a hospital? Did she tell them she was an addict? Did she not consider herself an addict because these were pharmacuticals? This just breaks my heart because it is so da*n senseless. Alexis would be almost 9 months by now.

Addiction is an awful thing, but there's help out there. If you don't want it or aren't ready for it at least get help for your infant baby doll.

RIP lil Alexis.

How very sad. If the child had been born addicted, I think the hospital would have contacted social workers who would have taken the baby away from the mother.

I feel homicide is appropriate in this case. She knew better.

Six-week-old baby dies after 'overdosing on morphine in mother's breast milk' (Daily Mail)
---
Breast-feeding mothers are allowed to take morphine because low levels of it pass into the mother's milk when taken properly, [a La Leche] spokesman said.

‘Most drugs like morphine pass so poorly through human milk that it is nearly impossible for a child to have a therapeutic dose, much less a lethal dose,’ the spokesman said.

But authorities said their investigation shows Greene illegally obtained the drugs at least 38 times in less than two years at a Spartanburg pharmacy.
more at link above

I feel homicide is appropriate in this case. She knew better.

When you're an addict there's no such thing as knowing better. I'm not disagreeing with you, but it is what it is.

Then she must have had a boat load of narcotics in her system.

Ya know I think this poor baby was addicted. Any addict would not share her drugs. I am not being a smat alec, but if this chick illegally obtained scripts 38 times she knew the drill. Breastfeeding would have taken X amount of the drugs from her. Just my opinion, but I think she was trying to save the baby from withdrawl. Saving is the wrong word though.

While they are at it ummmmmm maybe they need to find out how one drugstore filled 38 fake scripts. Here they practically wanna strip search you at the drugstore if you bring in a script for a narcotic once a year.

Still thinking that patch was Duragesic (Fentanyl). I highly doubt it was Lidocaine. Fentanyl has been known to kill little ones just from picking up the patch or touching it.

From above link:

"Greene still faces 38 counts of obtaining prescription drugs through fraud, and Barnette said he is still deciding whether to take those cases to court."

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
frito
Back