2011.07.07 Media's Motion for Release of Juror Names

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok let's just agree that our opinions differ. Nobody knows what his decision will be at this point. I don't think he even knows yet, JMO. I don't want to argue with anyone.

It's a constitutional issue. First Amendment rights. The media asked and they have the law on their side. Like it or not, it's in the constitution.

Samantha Runnion's murderer was put on trial before her murder for molesting two young girls. He was acquitted. FOX News tried to have the names of the jurors in Alejandro Avila's first trial released, but they were denied. I'm trying to find a link about it; I believe it had to do with the 1st Amendment.

Then I will never serve, EVER! As one poster on another board once said, the best way to get out of jury duty is walk in to court with a rope in your hand and say "where's the defendant"? :floorlaugh:

So much for civic duty!!!!!!!!!!!! Count me out.

Horrible isn't it. :(

they will, thats y I said this debate is moot. And yes, yesterday someone pulled the law from the internet, cannot find either. So yeah the judge can do a cooling off period, but thats it. Sunshine law baby!

A booker is a person that works for talk shows, news shows etc that finds guests.

I know right!!!???

All my hard work went ***poof***.

:smile:

It's all good though, because I don't think it matters how the law reads at this point to some.

Samantha Runnion's murderer was put on trial before her murder for molesting two young girls. He was acquitted. FOX News tried to have the names of the jurors in Alejandro Avila's first trial released, but they were denied. I'm trying to find a link about it; I believe it had to do with the 1st Amendment.

Would love to read it, let me know if you find it. It was MA I think?

I wonder if he can make some sort of order to the media. They can have the names and contact them but not publish those who wish to stay private. That would be reasonable imo

I think it also depends on the state too...was this in florida? Before or after sunshine law?

You cannot order the media to do much. Free speech baby!

I know right!!!???

All my hard work went ***poof***.

:smile:

It's all good though, because I don't think it matters how the law reads at this point to some.

I think some are having a hard time understanding that things can be done right now and they do not have to be released. The media is now running with this story, and people are weighing in. This is not over by any means. If his hands were tied he would have released them today. He played it smart because now the world is talking about this issue. Brilliant.

jmo

I think some are having a hard time understanding that things can be done right now and they do not have to be released. The media is now running with this story, and people are weighing in. This is not over by any means. If his hands were tied he would have released them today. He played it smart because now the world is talking about this issue. Brilliant.

jmo

He said he will have a cooling off period and release the names after it's conclusion.
Pretty straight forward.

He SAID he was going to release the names.

Is a booker the same as a bookie? That would be amazing and I hope that juror influenced the others with the promise of a payoff and it will cause a mistrial. Can you point me to a thread where this is being discussed? Am I reading this correctly?

I think the word booker is being used as a person offering to help them write a book. I also heard that term used in the interview with Cindy Anthonys cousin from Texas when she referred to a booker doing a book for the Anthonys.

I can't acces this site but it says: The Joyful Child Foundation in Memory of Samantha Runnion - General ... The
jurors did what they were instructed to do, don't think the blame lies on them.
... It's a good thing the judge has sealed their names, so many angry people and
... www.facebook.com/TheJoyfulChildFoundation

Sabrina, how can you even compare being on the jury in a trial against LA gang members vs. being on the Casey Anthony jury? (sorry, imo and all that)
YOU could have been killed. The KC jury may be, oh, perhaps... lied to?
I can't see any similarities whatsoever...?? This jury had absolutely NOTHING to fear, yours did. This jury was lazy, the one you were in, probably scared. Big difference.

jmo

I dont understand what can be done? Changing the law takes years sometimes. 7 days and thats it, but i predict less. I give it till monday and more names are gonna be released or by the time Casey is free.

I think he should release their names. He shouldn't even think twice about it. They certainly didn't think about what they did.

Oh yeah, AND it is the law.

Double jeopardy would apply. She will never be tried for this crime again. Even if jury tampering were found at this time. It has to be discovered during the trial. After you are found not guilty, you are not guilty, period.

All of the legal experts weighed in on this after the juror said she felt sick about the verdict. If it is found that there was jury tampering and or fraud, a mistrial could be called. But it is rare. It would have to be a serious attempt to persuade the jury.

I've not demanded anything.
I have stated what the law says.

Do you not think laws should be followed?

I am not directing this towards you at all.

My personal opinion is is that if the names are released of the jurors and something happens to an innocent family member then no one should come here and piss and moan about it.You get what you get.Law or no law.

If I read where a member is demanding a name and then something bad happens to a family member then that person should keep their trap shut and be ashamed.

The B!tch was found not guilty.We can't change it.

ITA. If the jurors want to be interviewed they will reach out, as some already have. If they don't, why would the media think they would grant interviews? I don't think media's desire for interviews is more important than the jurors.

I agree, it should be up to them to reach out if they want. Just because the media has their names does not mean they will be happy to give an interview, they will just be harrassed by the media and possibly threatened by some crazies from the public. I am sure those who wish to talk will eventually talk. Give them time.

I pray to God this doesn't happen, can you imagine all the jurors afraid to vote guilty or not guilty based on public and media feelings? could make the whole system a sham imo

Okay, here's another question while we're at it. Why can't Casey's psych exams now be released (found NG and all). They were sealed by the court. Why aren't the jurors names sealed by the court?

Riddle me that. :banghead:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member