2011.07.07 Media's Motion for Release of Juror Names

Status
Not open for further replies.
at least nine months according to that article

Thank you! I posted before that link was put up.....I am glad to hear this. Surely in nine months public sentiment will have cooled down enough, at least I hope so.

Thank you! I posted before that link was put up.....I am glad to hear this. Surely in nine months public sentiment will have cooled down enough, at least I hope so.

i'm not sure based on your post whether it was clear or not, but this is just a bill being proposed and i don't think it would be retroactive if it passed.

Please don't tell me what I am in favor of, that is not what I said. I said I wish the law already existed that made a waiting period for the names of all jurors to be released, in any trial.

How long? It sounds as though you still believe that these names should be hidden. Constitution aside, I would have no problem supporting a day or two delay to allow jurors to tend to personal issues, longger than that is excessive.

i'm not sure based on your post whether it was clear or not, but this is just a bill being proposed and i don't think it would be retroactive if it passed.

What would prevent a juror from selling their story outside the state? In any case, I am really not a fan of laws of this kind.

How long? It sounds as though you still believe that these names should be hidden. Constitution aside, I would have no problem supporting a day or two delay to allow jurors to tend to personal issues, longger than that is excessive.

Where do I say anything about hidden?
I just said I wish there was a cooling off period after all trials, whatever length of time the law would agree upon. That's all. Nothing special for this trial. As far as I am concerned by personal preference, maybe 4 weeks or so.

What would prevent a juror from selling their story outside the state? In any case, I am really not a fan of laws of this kind.

good question, i dunno. you'd have to ask a lawyer on that one i guess.

the general consensus in some comments i have be reading on this subject seem to indicate that this is probably not going to pass. i am referring to the bill proposed here which was that jurors cannot profit off of their story for 9 months, not the potential bill (not yet proposed to my knowledge) that would bar jurors names from being released for 9 months.

IN any state or federal cases where the jurors were allowed to remain anonymous,does anyone know what the legal basis was for the ability to seal was in those cases?

But are there real threats ?

When The Motion Was First Brought Before Judge Perry This Was His Response :
You realize there are folks out there who want to do crazy things, like fillet people open, pour salt on them, and feed their legs to the piranhas.

He Acknowledged Quite Early On That The Jurors Were Indeed Receiving Death Threats.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member