GUILTY MI - Mariha Smith, 5, Detroit, 24 July 2011

Just a guess but perhaps the children fell asleep on the first floor as it is cooler on a first floor than second floor. We've had some pretty hot days in the last week, including some evenings it was still close to 90 at midnight. Maybe they allowed the children to sleep downstairs because it would be more comfortable.

Awesome Map Cubby,

I tried to make one for an hour this morning...:giggle:

and finally gave up :crazy:

Thanks. I wish I knew how to do the ones with the flags on the map ( like the ones done in the FCA forum), but the google driving directions is the only one I can figure out. lol.

Just a guess but perhaps the children fell asleep on the first floor as it is cooler on a first floor than second floor. We've had some pretty hot days in the last week, including some evenings it was still close to 90 at midnight. Maybe they allowed the children to sleep downstairs because it would be more comfortable.

Thank you, this is true...

I guess they also didn't mind the children being there during their party either. Watching everyone get drunk....

last week we took a late nap about 4 pm, we all slept until almost 12midnight
well my son got us up and we went back to bed at about 4 am and didnt get back up until noon, so I guess this can happen

we had been to the park all day and with the heat, I guess we were just overly tired

so, this can happen

my son is very heavy sleeper, he goes to sleep there no waking him up until he ready to wake up.

yes, he has fallen asleep on the floor,the couch and that is where he stays (with cover and pillow of course)

But this mother told LE she was drunk and passed out.
This was not just someone who was REALLY tired and slept hard. This was someone who was DRUNK.

If you are going to have a party at your home, and you will be getting drunk, please have a babysitter come to your home to take care of your children until you're past your hangover, and able to return to your parental responsibilities. Or send the kids to grandma for the night.

Parental responsibility. It's a good thing.

Thank you.

And, I might add, negligence is a crime.

How young is her youngest??? Wouldn't the baby need a bottle or a diaper in that 8 hour time period? 3:00am-12:00 pm

Thank you, this is true...

I guess they also didn't mind the children being there during their party either. Watching everyone get drunk....

I think the kids were probably watching TV in a seperate room from where the adults were 'entertaining'. I'm not making excuses - lots of adults, parents, married or single entertain. Some have more room than others to seperate the children from the adults while entertaining. Some occasionally overindulge but probably think it is safer to do so at home when they are not driving. In most cases a predator isn't going to kidnap a child from within their home. With school being out it may be routine for the kids to stay up late and sleep late.

Keep in mind Polly Klaas was abducted from her home while her parents were asleep and not intoxicated and they didn't hear anything.

If a predator is targeting a child and plans on abducting a child from a home it may not make a difference if the parent is intoxicated or not.

:truce:

How young is her youngest??? Wouldn't the baby need a bottle or a diaper in that 8 hour time period? 3:00am-12:00 pm

A 5 month old would definately need a diaper. Maybe the older children were accustomed to being able to give the baby a bottle and change a diaper.

http://www.childwelfare.gov/systemw...e/index.cfm?event=stateStatutes.processSearch

MI statute on child neglect:

Neglect
Citation: Comp. Laws § 722.622

Child neglect means harm or threatened harm to a child's health or welfare, by a parent, legal guardian, or any other person responsible for the child's health or welfare, that occurs through either of the following:

Negligent treatment, including the failure to provide adequate food, clothing, shelter, or medical care
Placing a child at an unreasonable risk to the child's health or welfare by failure to intervene to eliminate that risk when that person is able to do so and has, or should have, knowledge of the risk

I read her youngest was 6 months.

No excuse for this.

I think the kids were probably watching TV in a seperate room from where the adults were 'entertaining'. I'm not making excuses - lots of adults, parents, married or single entertain. Some have more room than others to seperate the children from the adults while entertaining. Some occasionally overindulge but probably think it is safer to do so at home when they are not driving. In most cases a predator isn't going to kidnap a child from within their home. With school being out it may be routine for the kids to stay up late and sleep late.

Keep in mind Polly Klaas was abducted from her home while her parents were asleep and not intoxicated and they didn't hear anything.

If a predator is targeting a child and plans on abducting a child from a home it may not make a difference if the parent is intoxicated or not.

This house is approx 700 sf (according to public records).

No WAY these children were not exposed to this party.

I think the kids were probably watching TV in a separate room from where the adults were 'entertaining'. I'm not making excuses - lots of adults, parents, married or single entertain. Some have more room than others to separate the children from the adults while entertaining. Some occasionally overindulge but probably think it is safer to do so at home when they are not driving. In most cases a predator isn't going to kidnap a child from their home. With school being out it may be routine for the kids to stay up late and sleep late.

RBBM

I understand what your saying,

That is very true,
Predators are very cunning and evil, they lie in wait for the perfect momment....:banghead:

Just a guess but perhaps the children fell asleep on the first floor as it is cooler on a first floor than second floor.When We've had some pretty hot days in the last week, including some evenings it was still close to 90 at midnight. Maybe they allowed the children to sleep downstairs because it would be more comfortable.

When I was a child, we didn't have air conditioning. We all slept downstairs where it was cooler, and, I, being the child, slept on the floor.

A 5 month old would definately need a diaper. Maybe the older children were accustomed to being able to give the baby a bottle and change a diaper.

But wasn't Mariha 5? And she was the oldest??

I would never expect my 5 year old to take care of my 6 month old while I drank so much I passed out.

I find it horrid.

RBBM

I understand what your saying,

That is very true,
Predators are very cunning and evil, they lie in wait for the perfect momment....:banghead:

That's why parents have to do everything they can to PROTECT their children.

I know children of great parents are kidnapped.

IMO this is not the case. This mother put her children at risk of countless things happening to them because they had no adult watching over them.

What if one of them choked while she was passed out?
What if one fell and busted their head while she was passed out?

Can't parent drunk.
Not possible.

http://www.childwelfare.gov/systemw...e/index.cfm?event=stateStatutes.processSearch

MI statute on child neglect:

Neglect
Citation: Comp. Laws § 722.622

Child neglect means harm or threatened harm to a child's health or welfare, by a parent, legal guardian, or any other person responsible for the child's health or welfare, that occurs through either of the following:

Negligent treatment, including the failure to provide adequate food, clothing, shelter, or medical care
Placing a child at an unreasonable risk to the child's health or welfare by failure to intervene to eliminate that risk when that person is able to do so and has, or should have, knowledge of the risk

If she was asleep, drunk or not she may have not heard an intrudor who likely entered her home between 3:30am and 7am.

For everyone who wishes to bash this mother, would you all bash Marc Klaas in the same manner for not waking up when a predator entered his home and abducted his daughter? Really. Because I see no difference when a predator enters a home while a parent is asleep during normal sleeping hours. Based on the timeline this child was safe and home at 3-3:30am and dead by 7:50 am. Would it have made a difference if the mother woke at 6am to find her child missing? Probably not.

JMO

Amen. Thank you for a post that looks at life realistically. People aren't perfect, never have been, never will be.

When I was a child, we didn't have air conditioning. We all slept downstairs where it was cooler, and, I, being the child, slept on the floor.

When I grew up we lived in a brick house and didn't have air conditioning. I remember how we felt baked sleeping on the 3rd floor with no ac and my dad only put a fan in the attic, not in our room.

I have ac now and two floors. Even with ac I'd have to freeze out the first floor for it to be comfortable on the second floor so when it is especially hot my son and I both sleep on the 1st floor.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shaunie
Back