GUILTY MI - Mariha Smith, 5, Detroit, 24 July 2011

http://www.freep.com/article/20140729/NEWS01/307290152/darnell-cheatham-mariha-smith

A mistrial has been declared in the case of a man accused of sexually assaulting a 5-year-old girl, killing her and setting fire to the abandoned house where her charred body was found...

Defense attorney Kareem Johnson... said he received a call this morning that the jury was “hopelessly deadlocked”...

Maria Miller, spokeswoman for Wayne County Prosecutor Kym Worthy, released a statement, saying “the Wayne County Prosecutor's Office will absolutely be retrying this case.”

Was the aunt not a believable witness? If the aunt testified she saw him -- I don't understand either.

Salem

WHAT!!?? This is OUTRAGEOUS!!! Maybe no forensic evidence? People on juries seem to have the CSI mentality now and fail to use just plain old common sense....I hope this is not going to get away with this!!!:gaah:

I can't locate any updates on the trial. :-(

Sentencing January 6th according to the msm article linked above.

It's about time!

Sleep peacefully Mariha. The monster who did this to you will never hurt another child again.

Detroit man convicted in 2011 rape, killing of 5-year-old girl given life in prison

Author: Halston Herrera, Senior News Editor for ClickOnDetroit.com, @ClickOnHalston, hherrera@wdiv.com

Published On: Jun 30 2014 02:13:30 PM EDT Updated 53 m

DETROIT -
A Detroit man convicted in the abduction and slaying of his girlfriend's 5-year-old niece has been sentenced to life in prison.

Darnell Cheatham, 23, appeared in court Tuesday to learn his punishment. A jury in December found him guilty of second-degree murder, arson, torture and other crimes in the July 2011 death of Mariha Smith...

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/...ape-killing-burning-of-5yearold-girl/26727578

I'm so glad there is no chance for parole for this :censored:.

Thinking of Mariha. She is not forgotten.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back