SURPRISE HEARING Friday 18th August

CNN is back live with all three of the WM3.

I don't see it that way.

And the prosecutor just admitted, the plea is so they cannot sue for the millions that would normally be sued for.

Absolutely! 18 years times 3 = How many millions and millions! This is despicable. I don't know how that prosecutor:loser: can sleep at night, but then, the judicial system is as crooked as politics. :waitasec: They are the same.

MOO

I still just cannot believe this is happening!! What an amazing day!!! Seeing them free... never thought it would happen.

And this is the reason I do not understand why the defense does not want to go all the way. Even the prosecuter's don't think they could get a conviction this time. So basically the 3 just want out, to me I still question why they don't want new trials if opinion is so overwhelming that they would be acquitted.

18 years in prison and on death row. I would not want to take the risk. They saw how justice worked the first time. I wouldn't care how many said they would be acquitted.

Same here hopeful one and I'm quite offended to think that just because we believe in their innocence means that we are their "fans."

I'm not sure one way or the other except to say from what I know I could not have convicted. But I have to say there is no way I would say they were guilty on this board, the flames are far more hotter when directed at the people who think they are guilty.

Today in the press conference the WM3 attorneys are the ones who came to the state with that offer instead of going to trial (which cost the state money because they have to pay for both sides)

But what happened today was not an Alford plea was it? Or is it? That is what I am asking because I am not a USA citizen.

Prosecutor's statement on West Memphis 3 plea deal

Just moments ago Damien Echols, Jason Baldwin and Jessie Misskelley Jr. pled guilty to the murders of Stevie Branch, Christopher Byers and Michael Moore.

Echols and Baldwin stand convicted of three counts of Murder in the First Degree. Misskelley stands convicted of one count of First Degree Murder, and two counts of Murder in the Second Degree, thereby affirming the verdicts the two juries handed down seventeen years ago.

http://www.arktimes.com/ArkansasBlo...ecutors-statement-on-west-memphis-3-plea-deal

Jason was originally against the plea deal. Decided to accept it because he didn't want to Damien to be put to death.

Damien:

Q: Can you describe what you are feeling in this moment

Still very much in shock and overwhelmed. you still have to take into consideration that i spent the last decade in soliatary confinement not around many people much less this many people.

not perfect. at least it brings closure...we can still try to clear out names...only difference is we can do that on the oustide instead of from prison.
Jason:
I was against the deal from the get go. But they are trying to kill Damien. Sometimes you just have to the right thing.

But what happened today was not an Alford plea was it? Or is it? That is what I am asking because I am not a USA citizen.

It really doesn't matter. They could confess 20 times a day and it won't matter to "the ones who believe in their innocence".....there will always be an excuse as to why they admitted their guilt. And, before I get rotten fruit thrown at me, I am not talking about anyone on this board!! These 3 have a big following.

Damien:
I'm just tired. This has been going on for over 18 yrs. This has been hell.

For those who can't understand why the WM3 took this plea, Jason's lawyer is explaining it very clearly and making their "Sophie's Choice" both compelling and understandable.

I wonder what hell the 3 little victims went through?

He just said 'Plea'. The defense attorneys came to the Prosecutor with the idea.

Here is the Prosecutor's statement link below

Today’s proceeding allows the defendants the freedom of speech to SAY they are innocent, but the FACT is, they just plead GUILTY. I strongly believe that the interests of justice have been served today.

On behalf of the State I have preserved the verdicts of those juries and averted more prolonged and costly trials and appeals in this case.

http://www.arktimes.com/ArkansasBlo...ecutors-statement-on-west-memphis-3-plea-deal

All three men said in court they are innocent but pleading guilty "after speaking with counsel who believes its in best interest."
Forgive me if this has been covered; I'm over my head with work and don't have time to read the previous posts. What I''m wondering is if they invoked the Alford doctrine/plea......defendant asserts innocence but acknowledges sufficient evidence exists to convict.

It really doesn't matter. They could confess 20 times a day and it won't matter to "the ones who believe in their innocence".....there will always be an excuse as to why they admitted their guilt. And, before I get rotten fruit thrown at me, I am not talking about anyone on this board!! These 3 have a big following.

I will agree with you on the "followers" who really don't know the case at all. People who jumped on the bandwagon without taking the time to learn the facts and make an informed decision. That bothers me.

As long as someone is informed, even if they have a different opinion than mine, I can respect it.

Damien attorney:
State's acceptance of the Alford plea is recognition of their innocence.

Hmmm in watching this press conference I have to say I believe they were wrongly convicted and I am kind of sad Jason seems like a meek nice kid/man now.

I wonder what hell the 3 little victims went through?

That seems to be forgotten, the victims voice are silenced and snuffed out.

The one child was mutilated. I'm sure the 3 victims were terrified and tortured.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lcd115
Back