Sidebar Discussion #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just have a couple of quick questions this morning - are we ever going to understand and get over this verdict?

Never! Sorry, that is just how I feel. I will never understand and never get over Caylee's murderer going free.

I had the craziest dream last night... and I mean crazy!! A lot of you were in this dream as Webslueths was not just an online forum... I had actually stepped into Webslueths as it was now a real office. Tons of files, computers, evidence, books, papers, etc... I would say it resembled a law office and a nightclub in one as we had a bar (I can only assume it was the sidebar?) just outside the office where we would all meet up.

I don't know if I should go any further with this dream, as we had found Casey Anthony herself hiding in the closet underneath AZLawyer's fur coat? She was spying on us.

:floorlaugh::floorlaugh::floorlaugh::floorlaugh:

The major question posed Monday by Orange County Superior Court Chief Judge Belvin Perry Jr. to the 66 jurors who came before him was whether they'd be able to remain sequestered in Orlando for up to eight weeks for the trial. More citizens will be called into court Tuesday and perhaps beyond.
"Our system of justice depends on people like you willing to serve," the judge said. "You are being asked to perform one of the highest duties of citizenship."

http://articles.cnn.com/2011-05-09/...ection-jury-pool-potential-jurors?_s=PM:CRIME

BBM. And I'll just leave it at that. I don't think I can offer much more to the Perry/Jury selection discussion.

Yes, he did. But normal reactions to statements made by the Lead Clown in Anthony Circus Parade do not, in any way, equal the egregious misconduct (for which JB was reprimanded time and time again) of the defense team.
I am not trying to be obstinate here...it's just that I cannot believe that the ONE THING Jeff did in open court will go down in history, while ANYTHING JB did will fade into obscurity.

I'm not saying that his conduct was equal to the DT's conduct at all. But just because the DT was much much worse doesn't make what Ashton did okay either. I'm pretty sure he regrets that lapse. He seems like a guy who values professionalism.

JA was presenting the forensic evidence and there is no way to dummy down that. Plus the jurors were given strick instructions by the judge not to take into account the attorney's personalities during deliberation and this is a common jury instruction. I think LDB was pretty matter of fact in the way she presented the case. We just can't ever get over the fact that this jury never touched any of the evidence with everything they had in that room...they never once looked at the carpeting even though someone mentioned they could not see a stain on the picture they were shown. They had the actual carpet in the room with them and just did not bother to look at it. jmo

EXACTLY!!! :rocker: Totally agree! Not ONE piece of evidence... :banghead:

Love reading all these great posts!! :seeya:

Never! Sorry, that is just how I feel. I will never understand and never get over Caylee's murderer going free.

and I will wholeheartedly agree. I too will never get over it - ever. I'm just glad there are others out there who see things like me. I can easily imagine sitting here for the next 20 years talking about all the rights and wrongs that this case brought, I'll be hunched over my computer with my arthritic fingers still sitting here scratching my head how this happened. Caylee deserved SO MUCH BETTER!

If she were tried and found guilty in Orange County, that would have been a guaranteed mistrial and they would have had to start all over again.

Yeah maybe. But I do wonder if new ground could have been broken that would start a change in the system. Maybe bring it around to something that more realistically acknowledges the 24/7 media age we live in. I think a fantastic argument could have been made for NOT moving the trial - one that would have made the DT take responsibility and the consequences for fighting the gag order in the first place and then abusing their position as lawyers in this case by going on their all out media blitz. I think HHJP has such a great legal mind and such a huge store of case law in that brain of his that he might have been the right judge to set a new precedent in this area.

I had the craziest dream last night... and I mean crazy!! A lot of you were in this dream as Webslueths was not just an online forum... I had actually stepped into Webslueths as it was now a real office. Tons of files, computers, evidence, books, papers, etc... I would say it resembled a law office and a nightclub in one as we had a bar (I can only assume it was the sidebar?) just outside the office where we would all meet up.

I don't know if I should go any further with this dream, as we had found Casey Anthony herself hiding in the closet underneath AZLawyer's fur coat? She was spying on us.

Welcome to a peek through the veil of Websleuths Situation Room! (Don't speak to the man behind the curtain!) Wonder why everyone was meeting out side of the office/bar? Who found CA in the closet and what happened? AZLawyer always leaves her fur coat in the closet . . . .right? It must be just too warm to wear inside . . . . let alone AZ or FL (Just sayin'). You have given me such a visual Lola . . . . . love to hear more!

BBM I totally agree. I think that Ashton and LDB were perceived by that jury as being "smug, superior and acting like they were smarter than everybody else". That jury responded better to JB who they saw as being an average joe just like them. He smiled at them, he drew little pictures on a big sheet of paper for them etc. Unfortunately I think that counted more for this jury than someone of obvious intelligence explaining the evidence to them. There are certain types of people who resent other people who are smarter than they are and I think the jury was loaded with people like that.

I thought LDB was really great through out the trial. But I'll bet the jury really disliked her. Intelligent, capable and professional women spark alot of dislike in some people who lack those qualities...

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Agree, and when you say we, please include me.

It is my observation though that Baez played them like a harp with his folksy, underdog personna and benefited that the forensics flew over their heads.

just thinking... I too am totally WAY behind in reading... :crazy: but do you think that Baez appeared "bumbling" on purpose?? :waitasec: Sometimes I think he did... I use the word "bumbling" as not knowing the laws of court at times, just seemed lost... :waitasec:

I'm not saying that his conduct was equal to the DT's conduct at all. But just because the DT was much much worse doesn't make what Ashton did okay either. I'm pretty sure he regrets that lapse. He seems like a guy who values professionalism.

He does regret it, he said so in his book.

Yeah he sure did have a way of dummying things down with his dried out sharpies and big pad o paper. He drew some pretty interesting pictures once he got some new markers.

:floorlaugh:

Exactly, Kamille - good example of what I was trying to say in my ^^^ above post! :seeya:

just thinking... I too am totally WAY behind in reading... :crazy: but do you think that Baez appeared "bumbling" on purpose?? :waitasec: Sometimes I think he did... I use the word "bumbling" as not knowing the laws of court at times, just seemed lost... :waitasec:

Baaaaahahahahaha....:great::great:

On purpose? Not in a million years. If so, he is in the wrong line of business...needs to be in Hollywood walking red carpets.

Yes ma'am I do and I also think he played up the spelling problems too. Endearing himself to the jury, becoming one of the common guys trying to save the princess. Getting in repeated trouble with the Judge and then glancing around with that mischievious school boy look. All staged.

This is JMO but the verdict tells me I am close.

Yes ma'am I do and I also think he played up the spelling problems too. Endearing himself to the jury, becoming one of the common guys trying to save the princess. Getting in repeated trouble with the Judge and then glancing around with that mischievious school boy look. All staged.

This is JMO but the verdict tells me I am close.

Bayouland we will have to agree to disagree on this......
eight times trying to pass the bar?
He didn't fake mispelling IORNY...just sayin'

JB is cunning and stupid like a fox....that's all.

Bayouland we will have to agree to disagree on this......
eight times trying to pass the bar?
He didn't fake mispelling IORNY...just sayin'

JB is cunning and stupid like a fox....that's all.

Agreed. He really didn't, for the most part, know what he was doing - although some of his motions were pretty good. But his line of questioning, phrasing of questions, arguments during motions, ridiculous opening argument, all of that was horrible.

I don't think he was folksy either. He came across as very oily, very phony and extremely dirty. Yet, 12 people loved him. He resorted to parlor tricks in lieu of actual lawyering and it worked. Shockingly, it worked.

And the fact that it did points to some real problems with our system. Finding 12 people plus alternates, ALL of whom fell for his scummy parlor tricks, and simpering demeanor, was not a fluke. It shows that the pool of those willing and/or able to sit on juries is often not the best. We need to do better.

respectfully snipped...

I don't blame the system as much as the fact that media is so very different in this day and age. 24 hour news has affected so many things, and not for the better. It is NONSTOP and constant sensationalism instead of true reporting, it is not even really news anymore, it is entertainment. jmo.

I have to agree with you here Spice! (I'm SO agreeable this morning! LOL!) - I wish they would get rid of ALL these stupid reality shows on TV these days... come on - is anyone actually watching shows like "Hillbilly Catfishing", "Shrimpin'", "Housewife shows" "Ax Men" and I could go on... :floorlaugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
countygirl69