CLUES: how to find Susan

Sorry for the multiple posts. Where is Topaz Mtn in relation to this hotel in Sandy, UT and the Powell home in UT?

Sorry for the multiple posts. Where is Topaz Mtn in relation to this hotel in Sandy, UT and the Powell home in UT?

Opposite side of the valley, isn't it?

OTOH, this Comfort Inn is definitely near some steep canyons where someone could be rolled down a steep slope into an icy river and not found until spring, if ever.

Snowbird's mine reclamation project had been in the news. The Snowbird mine is an historic one but maybe in a different area - not clear. Basically, those steep canyons are full of mines - they're just on the opposite side of the valley from the Oquirrh mountains.
http://www.snowbird.com/about/presscenter/pressrelease.php?release=239

Not sure if this is okay, but a youtube video shows the Emma mine, in Little Cottonwood Canyon, and the last shot shows how mine doors are typically secured.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuTrMDt5QzM"]KUTV News - Lost Emma Mine.m4v - YouTube[/ame]

The link to the news video posted above by dovebar states that they normally mined in the winter due to the water pouring through the granite all the time. If they waited until winter it was frozen over and they could work. Hmmmm. Wonder how much research Josh did into these mines? Also, the gate they showed over the opening was some bars with chicken wire stretched over them and a chain running through the holes. Not exactly something you would need a cutting torch to get open. However a generator and a heater would certainly come in handy given that it is pitch black inside and a bunch of ice! I'm envisioning that he left the boys in the van with it running for the heat while they slept and he took Susan off to the mine shaft to 'look for crystals' and she just didn't make it back to the car as far as the boys knew, thus the question to the waitress about 'do you know what happened to my mommy'.

IF he used Anaconda/Smelter Rd, and took 36/73/68/154 back to Sarah Circle, google says it would have taken him 1 hour and 52 minutes to arrive home.

http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=S...&gl=us&mra=dvme&mrsp=1&sz=11&via=1,2&t=m&z=10

Fewer traffic cameras that direction as well:
http://commuterlink.utah.gov/

I really hope I'm not offending anyone with my obsessive searching for drop spots. I want to find Susan. If the Cox family reads my posts, please forgive me if I go too far or hurt your feelings. I really want to help you find your daughter and my posts are solely to that end....not to cause you any further distress. :hug:

The link to the news video posted above by dovebar states that they normally mined in the winter due to the water pouring through the granite all the time. If they waited until winter it was frozen over and they could work. Hmmmm. Wonder how much research Josh did into these mines? Also, the gate they showed over the opening was some bars with chicken wire stretched over them and a chain running through the holes. Not exactly something you would need a cutting torch to get open. However a generator and a heater would certainly come in handy given that it is pitch black inside and a bunch of ice! I'm envisioning that he left the boys in the van with it running for the heat while they slept and he took Susan off to the mine shaft to 'look for crystals' and she just didn't make it back to the car as far as the boys knew, thus the question to the waitress about 'do you know what happened to my mommy'.

IF he used Anaconda/Smelter Rd, and took 36/73/68/154 back to Sarah Circle, google says it would have taken him 1 hour and 52 minutes to arrive home.

http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=S...&gl=us&mra=dvme&mrsp=1&sz=11&via=1,2&t=m&z=10

Fewer traffic cameras that direction as well:
http://commuterlink.utah.gov/

I really hope I'm not offending anyone with my obsessive searching for drop spots. I want to find Susan. If the Cox family reads my posts, please forgive me if I go too far or hurt your feelings. I really want to help you find your daughter and my posts are solely to that end....not to cause you any further distress. :hug:

You caught the reason I posted that clip - I would never have imagined the part about how they are more workable in the winter when the water is frozen! It also indicated that you can get to the entrance of certain mines despite winter weather. Of course, there are thousands of them. I saw padlocks and chains on this gate but a cutting torch would make short work of that.

One thing that has always intrigued me was the 'story' on jp's site about making volcanos with the boys. it was totally out of left field. In a jp macabre way, was this a clue, a big 'f' you to peeps? We know that the media irritated him and I could believe him taunting with a 'clue'.

And the pictures of Mt. Saint Helens with him and the boys.

When were these pictures taken?

This is a snip from a Tooele County alert about Arsenic:

http://www.tooelehealth.org/environmental_health/ISR_Superfund_Site/Arsenic.html
Tooele County Health Department
Arsenic
BBM
Arsenic is a powerful poison. It occurs naturally in the earth's crust in small amounts. It is also found in minerals and ore. You can't taste or smell arsenic. Once released it it doesn't evaporate, but it can dissolve in water. It can stay in a dissolved form until the water source disappears. Still dissolved it settles into the ground. It can change from one form to another.Listed are several ways arsenic is released into the air and water:

LeadMining - The International Smelter and Refinery released arsenic, lead,and other compounds from the smoke stacks for a period of about 70 years t is a by-product of mining for copper, gold, silver and lead/zinc mining
a volcano will release arsenic upon eruption
geothermal eruptions (Yellowstone Nat. Park) releases arsenic
rocks, minerals, and ore release arsenic when they are broken down by wind and rain
exhaust fumes from vehicles, trains, boats, and planes
natural drainage from abandoned mines and industry plants
processing of glass and production of pharmaceuticals
when coal is burned

and
There are several ways a person may be exposed to arsenic:

Exposure to higher than average levels of arsenic occurs mostly in the workplace and near hazardous waste sites. At high levels, arsenic can be fatal. At low levels it can still be dangerous.The effects of exposure depend on several things:

The dose - how much as been consumed
The duration - how long a person has been around it
How exposure occurs
Genetics
Personal hygiene habits
Whether or not other chemicals are present.

Exposure may occur:
Living in areas at risk for exposure
Eating food, drinking water, or breathing air containing higher than normal amounts
Breathing sawdust or burning smoke from wood treated with arsenic
Swimming in contaminated water

Another very interesting pamphlet by Tooele Health Dept about IS&R smelter:

http://www.tooelehealth.org/A_Asset.../PDF_Files/ISR_Informational_Booklet_2010.pdf

Page 16 says that in January 2009 they determined there were still elevated levels of arsenic in the Tooele Valley Railroad bed.

Check out the pictures even if you don't want to read it! Fascinating! They grew all their own vegetables and grazed their cattle right there with the smelter blowing lead and arsenic all over them!!!! WOW :what:

BTW - one thing I read today stated that most of the prevailing winds in the canyon are from the North and West. Same as during December 2009. Supposedly this conservation area is fenced off but I doubt that would stop a determined JP. Also there is the Elton Tunnel - a long railroad tunnel that extends into this valley FWIW.

So was Josh crashing the continental breakfast bar?

Or was there a room under the name of Steve Powell or his alter ego Chantry?

Good question karen. He left the house about 12:30 am and was at the Comfort Inn by 6:30 am. If it was a two hour trip one way that only leaves him about two hours to do the deed. I don't think he took a room. I think he was just crashing the free continental breakfast. I think the boys slept in the van while JP was 'looking for crystals' with Susan. My big question now is what did he do for the rest of that day? He didn't get home until around 6 pm IIRC....what did he do for that 12 hours with the boys?

You know, jp always had the same answer to two common questions he was asked r/t Susan's disappearance... "I did not harm her" and "I did not have anything to do with her disappearance." He was consistent with these answers, so what is he really saying? Is he really saying, I didn't harm her, I killed her? Is he using a play on words? He didn't harm her, the poison did??? Or were he and his dad in on it together, and sp did the final act...? Was daddy the one who hid her body, therefore, he didn't have anything to do with her disappearance?
These are just some of the things that run through my head... I think there is a reason he always uses these answers. Is he minimizing, justifying, manipulating? Idk, but I'm guessing all of the above. I'm actually quite thankful I'm unable to think like he does, it's exhausting. No wonder the always had big ole bags under his empty eyes!

You know, jp always had the same answer to two common questions he was asked r/t Susan's disappearance... "I did not harm her" and "I did not have anything to do with her disappearance." He was consistent with these answers, so what is he really saying? Is he really saying, I didn't harm her, I killed her? Is he using a play on words? He didn't harm her, the poison did??? Or were he and his dad in on it together, and sp did the final act...? Was daddy the one who hid her body, therefore, he didn't have anything to do with her disappearance?
These are just some of the things that run through my head... I think there is a reason he always uses these answers. Is he minimizing, justifying, manipulating? Idk, but I'm guessing all of the above. I'm actually quite thankful I'm unable to think like he does, it's exhausting. No wonder the always had big ole bags under his empty eyes!

BBM I've always said the same thing about his eyes....devoid of anything. That very first interview outside of his house, when he was asked a major question and he turned around (away from the camera) and said "I gotta go check on my boys......"

Ok, so I just went and polluted my brain over at SusanPowell.org. Arrrgggggggggg.

:maddening: :what: :banghead: :floorlaugh: :waitasec: :furious: :notgood: :laugh: :mad: :slap: :confused: :doh: :eek: :( :eek:hwow: :tears: :pullhair: :anguish:

That was just plain evil and I am furious with the entire thing! What was with the whole 'hairdresser and makeup' crap???? Did he fail to notice that his wife was a stockbroker who went to work every day as a stockbroker and made more money than he did doing it????? Oh, right, that was the point. And he certainly went out of his way to find the worst pictures he could find of her to paste all over that site. She would be furious and I'm sure that was the entire point. Terribly sorry to be rehashing what you guys already know....it was new to me sad to say. He goes on and on about converting the basement for a studio for her to do hairdressing. Hmmmm. Was she planning on giving up her stockbroker job?

I want to say here, THANK YOU Jennifer Graves for everything you have done.

The volcanoes seemed (to me) to be some way overdone attempt by JP to prove what a loving and wonderful father he was. See? I took the boys on a trip to see volcanoes! I'm a wonderful dad......you can tell by the pictures. :sick: Although I will not rule out that it was a clue and a big 'eff you'. I noticed that he was posed right below the steam plume. Reminded me of the smoke stacks at the IS&R smelter FWIW.

Wacked. All I can say. Rambling craziness veering back and forth between first and third person. Could JP not remember which personality was writing that day?? That will be uber important one day to forensic psychologists IMO.

I'm looking for you as hard as I can Susan. :candle:

I'm putting this post here because I don't know where else it should be AND I want to remember the thoughts. [If that makes sense]

steve powell was sexually obsessed with Susan and was very anti-Mormon. His son was married to Susan and became anti-Mormon through his father's influence. What was the motive behind that? Did he think he could 'steal' Susan away or cause a divorce so that he would have unfettered access to Susan? Was he doing it to inflict pain on josh? A tangental emotional abuse? Was it a love/hate thing against Susan? Is that a basis for a jealousy motive that causes murder to take place?

There is still something that is sticking in my thoughts; in the ABC interview with Amy Boudreaux [sp?] interviewing josh, there are a few times where he gets this monstorous grin on his face and his eyes light up. The one question was, 'would you hurt your wife?'. It was almost the look of a demented child sharing and keeping a secret. [I WANT TO ADD CONSPIRATORIAL HERE] IMHO I have a feeling and this is ONLY my opinion that there is/was some really 'icky' stuff between josh and steve, sexual stuff. steve was the controller and josh malleable to the situation. I could, again IMHO, see steve saying that, if josh poisons her, when the job is done he will take it from there. THIS IS JUST A THEORY AND IMHO.

josh facial expressions:
http://www.videosurf.com/video/joshua-powell-interview-1330160102
:33

http://abcnews.go.com/Nightline/video/police-search-josh-powells-home-14384821
3:56

This case, in toto...steve, josh et. al., involves repressed sex, envy, retaliation....

ETA josh had cartoons and images of a sexual and incestuous nature on his computer; WVC has stated they had these images from the beginning. Were there images of this nature AFTER Susan went missing? josh's repressed sexual urges are paramount in this case and may be a clue as to where Susan is now. steve could well have used josh's proclivities to his advantage.

All this talk about volcanos. Yellowstone is what? Five hours from Salt Lake. And it is open in the winter. Not even going to let my mind go there.

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/53537666-78/powell-charlie-documents-state.html.csp
we now have a new thread thanks to gwenabob
[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=163202"]New Details of Josh's Brainwashing Techniques - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]
Charlie was talking about 'how to bury a bear'
"You dig a hole, put the bear in the hole, throw rocks on the bear, cover the hole, and then you plant a tree so no one will know where you buried the bear," Charlie said, according to documents. "Then you plant raspberry bushes over the bear because it makes the best-tasting raspberries."

August 10, 2011

To locals, are there allot of raspberry bushes in Utah?
especially around where jp was seen allot? camping areas?
He couldn't bury Susan in the blizzard, so did he go back when the
earth was thawed and bury her like the bear story??
Did the boys ever mention they picked and ate raspberries anywhere?
Love to see what the teachers have to say!

There are raspberries and pick-your-own places all over Utah, Idaho, and Washington.

It sure would be interesting to know if there are raspberry bushes in any of the former homes' yards where Powells have lived, at least as far back as Ouita.

There are many in Yakima, where she last lived.

This news report was done 2 weeks after Susan went missing and was for me what cemented my thought that he was responsible. Rachel M., Susan's friend, gave a vivid account of who josh was. Most disturbing to me in this report was josh at the vigil in Washington; he kept pushing Charlie's face with his hand and covering Charlie's eyes when he looked over to his grandparents. Notice josh's expressions in the video; mixed messages.

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/34508...ng-utah-mom-was-mulling-divorce/#.Tz3c0Rz22oB

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ulanov911
Back