FL - 17-yo Teen Shot to Death by Neighborhood Watch Captain #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is a horrible case, I saw an interview with his wife today , just heartbreaking.

The big difference I see though is at least Dooley was arrested and it will be determined at trial.

Police at the scene were the judge and jury, deciding that GZ was just acting in self defense, until it became a public outrage, now we're seeing an investigation. The police chief came out with comments that were sounding as if he was GZ's defense attorney before he did a thorough investigation.

JMHO.

Dooley wasn't arrested immediately either was he? Didn't he drive the school bus after the murder or am I misremembering? I need to refresh on case details:) But the police did collect evidence at the scene, IIRC. I am glad Dooley is facing a trial by his peers!

Big difference in the handling of the Dooley case vs Tray's case by LE, IMO.

wm

I keep reading an almost certainty that because hundreds of dark-skinned people are gathering to protest, it is going to get ugly, it's dangerous, there WILL be riots.

Yes, there have been riots in the past. At many protests, however, like those in Oakland, there were a few rabble rousers that tried to ruin a peaceful demonstration. New York's rally did not become the dangerous race riot that many predicted. As long as the majority and LE are able to identify and isolate any rabble rousers, I see no reason why we need to assume this will become a blood bath. I've been at two protests with THOUSANDS of people of color and not a sign a violence was to be found.

It has been about race since an unarmed 140 black teen was shot to death by an armed stranger who pursued him for no reason, who was almost double the kid's weight and who was not arrested for the crime by LE who assumed his story was true and contradicted witnesses who had info it was false.

That's not true. One of the witnesses said clearly that it was a young person screaming for help, that it was the victim, not Zimmerman. LE tried to change her statement and refused to call her back after she kept checking to make sure they had the statement right. Plus, Trayvon's mom recognized his voice. A mother knows.

Having injuries is not evidence one was attacked, especially when that person admitted following the person who was later killed. Having injuries could be the result of having a victim fighting off an aggressor. Hence, suspects are often photographed to see if they have injuries indicating they were in an altercation.

The bottom line is Zimmerman stalked a frightened young man, who was trying to get away, for no reason and made sure "this one" didn't get away. He has a reported history of aggression, Trayvon has the opposite. He is a self-admitted cop wanna' be with a gun that some feel was aggressive in his "policing" of the neighborhood. He ignored the police dispatcher's admonition that he should not follow the young man. Taken together, it defies logic to assume that Zimmerman did not approach this teenager aggressively or that Trayvon, who reported he was scared of the stranger following him, suddenly attacked the man he was trying to escape with no provocation.

Don't get me wrong, I hope that it does not turn to riots. But I can see the tension building by each moment. And I am not stating this because its people of color. I am simply stating it, because as each day goes on the more people come out, the more anger there is, the more frustration there is, the lack of an arrest, its all gonna end up with something happening. And I hope people can remain calm, but the longer this goes on the greater chance of riots coming up. Read my posts above for further clarification.

BTW HLN is now confirming that the tapes had Zimmermen calling Trayvon a "******in coon"

IIRC His girlfriend said she heard Trayvon say why are you following me and she heard a man say something like why are you here.If that is true maybe Trayvon felt he had every reason to be where he was he might have pushed GZ to get out of his way so he could go on his way,feeling that GZ had a lot of nerve.There are many ways the actual confrontation might have started.Never should it have gotten to the point of anyone being dead.

And another article claimed an audio expert who examined it said it was ****ing punk.

It's not up to me whether they arrest him or not (and it's not like I am going to be sorry for GZ if they arrested him), but I am not sure they should arrest people based on public pressure.

I agree, however this case was Botched from the beginning.. There is clear evidence supporting a charge. He can be arrested under probable cause. They need to do something, because if they don't its not going to be pretty.

A caller just said she believes if happened because the Hispanics and African Americans have tensions between them in FL.Is that true?

A NARCOTICS detective was first on scene and handled this case. Not a homicide detective.

HLN covering this now.

Well, no.

People who have kind of misunderstood the situation and timeline think GZ is saying he was initially afraid of Trayvon. Obviously, it didn't go that way.

I'm really a little surprised why people keep saying this, when honestly, it must be obvious to everyone that at first, when GZ began following Trayvon he wasn't afraid of him.

It wasn't until he was jumped that he became afraid.

That seems to go without question.
Will you please stop proclaiming that GZ was jumped? You can't just come to your own conclusion, without basing it on any factual evidence and then post it here as if it were an actual fact.

GZ wasn't afraid because he wanted to make sure this "f'n punk" didn't get away and he had a gun.

Will you please stop proclaiming that GZ was jumped? You can't just come to your own conclusion, without basing it on any factual evidence and then post it here as if it were an actual fact.

GZ wasn't afraid because he wanted to make sure this "f'n punk" didn't get away and he had a gun.

I'm quoting Lee.

Don't get me wrong, I hope that it does not turn to riots. But I can see the tension building by each moment. And I am not stating this because its people of color. I am simply stating it, because as each day goes on the more people come out, the more anger there is, the more frustration there is, the lack of an arrest, its all gonna end up with something happening. And I hope people can remain calm, but the longer this goes on the greater chance of riots coming up. Read my posts above for further clarification.

If it turns to violence it will only further the divide between races IMO.

on the 911 call indicate to me that he believed this guy was dangerous and had a weapon:

He's got his hand in his waistband. And he's a black male...Something's wrong with him. Yup, he's coming to check me out. He's got something in his hands. I don't know what his deal is...These *******s, they always get away.

Why the emphasis on the hand on the waistband and his holding something in his hand? That suggests to me he believed the kid had a weapon. But no matter, he decided even if the guy was armed he would get him as he was sick of these "a%$holes" getting away. I would guess he has already formed an intent to discharge his weapon if "necessary" and of course it was necessary as he had already decided the boy was armed with a weapon of some sort. So, his actions may actually be even worse than they seem IMO.

I also wonder whether GZ was impaired in some way, drugs or alcohol? Of course, we'll never know since the thoroughly incompetent LE there didn't give him any tests for that or anything else. Really, if he had hit Treyvon with his CAR he would have been tested for substances and had to fill out accident reports etc but since he only shot and killed him he didn't need to deal with any of that hassle.

Well, no.

People who have kind of misunderstood the situation and timeline think GZ is saying he was initially afraid of Trayvon. Obviously, it didn't go that way.

I'm really a little surprised why people keep saying this, when honestly, it must be obvious to everyone that at first, when GZ began following Trayvon he wasn't afraid of him.

We don't know if it was Trayvon screaming or if it was GZ. none of us (presumably) know what that would sound like. Trayvon was not a small child.

IIRC, Trayvon's mother identified the voice as belonging to Trayvon.

Well, no.

I'm sorry, but the reason no one else is saying that is because it defies rational logic, not to mention ignores the fact that Zimmerman clearly states that Trayvon is "up to no good" and looks like he's on drugs.

I'd sooner believe that the moon is made of green cheese than the idea that GZ was suddenly in fear for his life as a direct result of the very confrontation HE initiated.

You are changing the question. The question was how did LE id Martin so quickly in the police reports. You replied:

His phone.

My comment was that police COULDN'T have id'd him by his phone: He had a lock on it. With out the unlock code, LE could not access any of the records, logs, contacts, etc in the phone. The question had nothing to do with who actually had the phone, but about how LE id'd Martin.

TM had his phone on him. He was speaking with his girlfriend. His father was unaware of his son's death so who had the phone. It would have either been LE or GZ. The phone was recovered. It's part of the crime scene. LE had to have had it. Maybe it was returned to the family and they LE wanted it back to check and see who TM was talking to but LE had to have the phone if the family ended up with it. jmo

IMO a credible witness as he is in total CYA mode. He messed up big time and thought no one would care about someone shooting an unarmed black boy. Well, that makes him consistent in how wrong he is.

I'm quoting Lee.

There is a witness corroborating that, and GZ had injuries as well. It's not true that there is no evidence GZ was attacked imo.

Witness said they saw blood on his head and nose, I believe. We don't know who's blood it was because no one checked. Witness also said GZ had his own hands on his own head. Where his hands covered in Trayvon's blood before he rubbed his head? Who knows??

Blood does not automatically mean there is an injury beneath it.

Sure would have been nice if the responding officers bothered to look into any of this at the time. Could have cleared a lot of things up right from the start.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SoCal Greg