Trial Thread 4/18/2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
Steven D'Souza ‏ @cbcsteve
In long and emotionally difficult trial, this tutorial has brought some levity to proceedings. Court takes lunch recess. Back at 2:15 p.m.

raffertylfp: Meloche heard from rafferty on evening of may 15th said cops questioned him because he knew terri- lynne

on the friday, the 15th, he said he was going to the u.s. For shopping and dance training.

He didn't say if he was going by himself or with somebody.

She tried to contact him, assumed his phone was off. He told her he was interviewed by police that night.

rofl!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can we get onto what was on his computer! Who cares about Plenty of Fish

lol! I'm thinking he used Mychol as his POF user name, so maybe that's part of the emphasis on POF. Could be wrong about that though.

I am very curious about the dynamics in the relationship between MR and his mother, as I'm sure alot of people are considering its asked if she is in the courtroom at least 10 a day. I am so sure it would speak volumes about who he really is. Wonder if the crown is going to put her on the stand? He spends easter at a girls house, he gets her to give her furniture to a drug dealer, he moves in and out of her house at will, lies about her, she walks by when LE is questioning him like he's having coffee with a friend....it's BIZARRE

It would be fascianting to learn of that dynamic. I wonder if Mom was simply terrified of him?

Steven D'Souza ‏ @cbcsteve
As Waldron describes Plenty of Fish search functions, Crown calls it “Modern mail-order dating partner” #sl

Lots of options on plenty of fish searches, including smokers/non smokers and zodiac signs.

We're going on break until 2:15.

I guess the Crown must be trying to show that he profiled/stalked women on there?

MOO

Sadly his Mom may believe in his innocence IMO, he's a pretty good liar.

Yes that may very well be. Most of us have witnessed Parental Denial at it's worst. That "other" trial.

Derstine suggests most statuses could be mundane things. She agrees. No more questions.Next witness is Detective-Constable Leslie Waldren.

RaffertyLFP: Next witness is OPP Det. Con. Leslie Waldren

A lot of the stuff that Derstine asks the witnesses to answer are heresay. Why is he allowed to ask the opinions of the witnesses. I am Canadian but have seen court cases from the U.S. where stuff like that would have been objected to and not allowed by the Judge.

Yesterday Derstine asked a witness if there were a lot of rural fields (or something like this) in the Woodstock area. This should have been objected to--why does her opinion of the landscape of Woodstock matter. She is not an expert and is not on the stand to offer this type of information.

There was another question earlier that he asked that had me thinking "this should be objected to"--can't remember right now but will keep thinking. Oh yeah, when he created a senario of what happened (of course omitting parts that may make his client look REALLY BAD) and had TLM agree or disagree to it.

Can anyone offer any explanation/reasons that you know of that Derstine is allowed this type of questioning--"heresay type".

lol! I'm thinking he used Mychol as his POF user name, so maybe that's part of the emphasis on POF. Could be wrong about that though.

She's a online detective, he transferred all his contacts onto his computer, why does the jury need to know that he called himself Mychol, they already established that several times. We get it, he has multiple personalities, jobs, names, girlfriends, carreers etc..... I wonder if were not hearing parts of the testimony such as what the phone logs revealed because of the numbers.

A lot of the stuff that Derstine asks the witnesses to answer are heresay. Why is he allowed to ask the opinions of the witnesses. I am Canadian but have seen court cases from the U.S. where stuff like that would have been objected to and not allowed by the Judge.

Yesterday Derstine asked a witness if there were a lot of rural fields (or something like this) in the Woodstock area. This should have been objected to--why does her opinion of the landscape of Woodstock matter. She is not an expert and is not on the stand to offer this type of information.

There was another question earlier that he asked that had me thinking "this should be objected to"--can't remember right now but will keep thinking. Oh yeah, when he created a senario of what happened (of course omitting parts that may make his client look REALLY BAD) and had TLM agree or disagree to it.

Can anyone offer any explanation/reasons that you know of that Derstine is allowed this type of questioning--"heresay type".

That's a very good question. I find all of Derstines cross examinations totally futile in the first place. All he has said so far is basically accused TLM of masterminded this. He knew all the evidence before walking into that courtroom, he knew they would have 25 witnesses testify that hes a <Mod Snip>so IMO he took this case for the $

It would be fascianting to learn of that dynamic. I wonder if Mom was simply terrified of him?

certainly seemed no limits on behavior were set or at least successful and staying at home enabled him to just flit around, why work?

but maybe she tried tough love and he ended up on street. No doubt he manipulated his mother too and sucked her dry. JMO

She's a online detective, he transferred all his contacts onto his computer, why does the jury need to know that he called himself Mychol, they already established that several times. We get it, he has multiple personalities, jobs, names, girlfriends, carreers etc..... I wonder if were not hearing parts of the testimony such as what the phone logs revealed because of the numbers.

I believe it will become relevant as the details unfold. It's frustrating at the moment though. JMO

Rafferty seemed fine after police interrogation, ex-lover says

Wow, so Rafferty was both "upset" and "fine" depending on which girl he was with?

WOW.

He turned it on and off like a light bulb. Hmmmm.

Michael Rafferty, 31, seemed fine after being questioned by police about the disappearance of eight-year-old Tori Stafford, his murder trial heard Wednesday.

Jessica Meloche, one of several women Rafferty dated in 2009, said she met Rafferty on April 12, 2009, through the online dating service Plenty of Fish. They quickly became a couple.

http://www.torontosun.com/2012/04/18/rafferty-seemed-fine-after-police-interrogation-ex-lover-says

I am very curious about the dynamics in the relationship between MR and his mother, as I'm sure alot of people are considering its asked if she is in the courtroom at least 10 a day. I am so sure it would speak volumes about who he really is. Wonder if the crown is going to put her on the stand? He spends easter at a girls house, he gets her to give her furniture to a drug dealer, he moves in and out of her house at will, lies about her, she walks by when LE is questioning him like he's having coffee with a friend....it's BIZARRE

JMO but men who tend to not respect women like MTR doesn't tend to, also do not respect their mothers. He came between the boyfriend (probably the bf realised how much he was manipulating his mom) and his mom. I think MTR had a serious lack of a male model in his young life and maybe blamed his mother for the Dad leaving. Or maybe the Dad treated the mother like crap too, who knows.

There was a post in yesterday's Trial thread that insinuated a member's deleted post caused "pop ups" or contained a possible "virus." Folks, this is simply not true. The deleted post did not contain any links and/or attachments and certainly did not cause a pop up or virus. We regret the implication that was made toward this member.

Please do not make statements such as this in the future. On a website, such statements are tantamount to yelling "Fire!" in a movie theater. It's also very unfair to the innocent poster.

Websleuths is secure. We maintain numerous anti-virus programs to protect us and they run non-stop, 24/7.

In the future, if you have concerns about pop ups or a possible virus, please contact a WS Moderator or Administrator.

Wow, so Rafferty was both "upset" and "fine" depending on which girl he was with?

WOW.

He turned it on and off like a light bulb. Hmmmm.

He may have been fine only because he was high on percs (which makes you feel kinda mello) or maybe really taking anxiety drugs as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lilhuda