17 yo Trayvon Martin Shot to Death by Neighborhood Watch Captain #28

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe all the people that carry the small flashlights shop at Walmart. When shopping, I see them all the time.

I don't understand. I've never seen this phenomenon and I live in a small southern town. Flashlights? Only if someone is an auto mechanic and runs into a store to buy a gatorade or something.

I'm sure people carry guns legally or illegally here in TN. But they aren't going to pull them out in public unless they want to rob the place, in my opinion, because someone else is likely to shoot at them.

If security in either a Target or Wal-Mart saw a man or woman with a flashlight and a gun, he would be dialing 911 for the safety of the store. JMOO

Every boy and man I've ever known has carried a pocket knife. My father used his mainly for cleaning his fingernails or for cutting fishing line or something. Sometimes he used it to scrape grass off the lawnmower blade.

My Daddy didn't carry a knife to hurt people because . . . wait for it . . . he liked people and he trusted people. He had been through WWII - he didn't want to fight anymore.

Honestly, we can't have it both ways that some are armed to the teeth while anyone whom they suspect (like poor Trayvon) is assumed to be up to no good. I think the gun culture promotes paranoia and everyone needs to chill out. :cow:

I was stalked by an abusive ex for months and he pulled a gun on me twice - I would still never own a gun myself. I don't begrudge others that right but there is just too much that can go wrong - and with my luck I'd shoot myself instead of my target. ;)

I don't see how that's ever going to be proven in this case (if the gun was pulled out or not). Not sure how that would affect a verdict one way or the other.

The gun to have been according to some of the descriptive senerio's his surrogates gave in interviews..By all accounts trayvon was straddling George sitting ontop of his waiste which is where the holster was..and trayvon was pummeling his head into the concrete sidewalk..georges hands should have been pushing against trayvon to get out from under and protect his head..but somehow miraculously was able to reach that gun, unholster it, and shoot...ALL within 45-55 secs... Not quite as believeable to me as it apparantly is for some I guess..:rocker:

ETA~~ Its instinctual to protect you head or face when being pummelled..just cant help yourself..but according to george he didnt act instinctually

Congresswoman Frederica Wilson is the only person I have ever heard state that Trayvon's nose was broken.

I answered yes, it would be useful.

Then I expanded because the question does relate to what happened in this case because we are being asked to put ourselves in this same situation. It's a useful question for adults -- and the answer is yes -- a gun would be useful in a situation like this.

What it doesn't help to answer is what would my 17-year-old niece be able to do in the same situation. Like I said, I am not worried about me. I'm worried about my 17-year-old niece being in a situation like this. A gun, while it would help her, would be completely illegal for her to be carrying and would probably result in this person walking free because my niece chose to illegally carry a gun.

Get what I am saying?
In Georgia, they recently tried to pass a law that would allow 18-year-olds to get a carry permit with a specific training requirement. Would you be for this type of law? It just sat in House Rules until it died.

But to what degree? Head wounds that bleed at all (I realize some don't) are notorious for bleeding profusely.

He also had a broken nose according to his attorney who said he would provide medical records supporting that today at the bond hearing.

That person was interfering with an investigation...contaminating a crime scene...IMO
I'm wondering if this was one of GZ's police buddies? But if so, wouldn't they know that photos of a suspect's injuries should be documented as evidence and the photos taken like this are useless for evidence?

That takes me back to FT. His involvement has been odd from the beginning. I keep remembering one of his early appearances on NG when he was claiming GZ said "*advertiser censored**ing cold" and when asked by NG how he knew, FT said "Because I was there that night!" NG pressed him on it and he backed off, saying he was in the neighborhood, not at the scene, but I've wondered ever since...

I don't know where NG show has their transcripts or I'd try to dig it up.

IMO, JMO, etc.

I don't understand. I've never seen this phenomenon and I live in a small southern town. Flashlights? Only if someone is an auto mechanic and runs into a store to buy a gatorade or something.

I'm sure people carry guns legally or illegally here in TN. But they aren't going to pull them out in public unless they want to rob the place, in my opinion, because someone else is likely to shoot at them.

If security in either a Target or Wal-Mart saw a man or woman with a flashlight and a gun, he would be dialing 911 for the safety of the store. JMOO

Every boy and man I've ever known has carried a pocket knife. My father used his mainly for cleaning his fingernails or for cutting fishing line or something. Sometimes he used it to scrape grass off the lawnmower blade.

My Daddy didn't carry a knife to hurt people because . . . wait for it . . . he liked people and he trusted people. He had been through WWII - he didn't want to fight anymore.

Honestly, we can't have it both ways that some are armed to the teeth while anyone whom they suspect (like poor Trayvon) is assumed to be up to no good. I think the gun culture promotes paranoia and everyone needs to chill out. :cow:
BBM

And innocent people die because of overreactions like this. If the person isn't harming anyone, robbing the store, or waving the gun around, why does it matter if they have a gun or not?

FL Statute 790.06(12)No license issued pursuant to this section shall authorize any person to carry a concealed weapon or firearm into any place of nuisance as defined in s. 823.05; any police, sheriff, or highway patrol station; any detention facility, prison, or jail; any courthouse; any courtroom, except that nothing in this section would preclude a judge from carrying a concealed weapon or determining who will carry a concealed weapon in his or her courtroom; any polling place; any meeting of the governing body of a county, public school district, municipality, or special district; any meeting of the Legislature or a committee thereof; any school, college, or professional athletic event not related to firearms; any school administration building; any portion of an establishment licensed to dispense alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises, which portion of the establishment is primarily devoted to such purpose; any elementary or secondary school facility; any career center; any college or university facility unless the licensee is a registered student, employee, or faculty member of such college or university and the weapon is a stun gun or nonlethal electric weapon or device designed solely for defensive purposes and the weapon does not fire a dart or projectile; inside the passenger terminal and sterile area of any airport, provided that no person shall be prohibited from carrying any legal firearm into the terminal, which firearm is encased for shipment for purposes of checking such firearm as baggage to be lawfully transported on any aircraft; or any place where the carrying of firearms is prohibited by federal law.
I am confused about this discussion. Are we saying that GZ went inside a Target store with a CW on his person? Which may/may not be against rules and/or Target policy? In any event, what is the issue with that, and how do we know it for a fact anyway? His vehicle has a glove box, does it not? Can someone please illuminate this issue? TIA

I am confused about this discussion. Are we saying that GZ went inside a Target store with a CW on his person? Which may/may not be against rules and/or Target policy? In any event, what is the issue with that, and how do we know it for a fact anyway? His vehicle has a glove box, does it not? Can someone please illuminate this issue? TIA
It wouldn't matter either way. It's not against Florida law to carry into a business with a no-guns sign.

In Georgia, they recently tried to pass a law that would allow 18-year-olds to get a carry permit with a specific training requirement. Would you be for this type of law? It just sat in House Rules until it died.

I think if the NRA had the power, they would wish for all newborns to be born with a gun on their hips..They sure do lobby and advance their want to have guns available to everyone and everywhere regardless of being the responsible thing to do or not..JMOO :maddening:

I carry a flashlight in my nursing bag, because sometime I need to put a little more light on the situation.

Those are your feelings so it works for you to carry a gun.......my feelings are that I don't need to. I don't ever want to have to make a choice of pulling that trigger...and that's a decision you already made, when you strap your gun on. Or at least I hope you have made it otherwise they may use your gun on you.

eta....and we are way off topic. Sorry guys! I have to get ready for work anyway.
I totally agree with you, in fact I made my husband give up his gun when he moved in with me, I gave him an ultimatum, "It's me or your gun, but you will NOT force me to live with a gun!" He gave it away.
Doesn't mean you have to be defenseless, there are other weapons, we have a large dog, butcher knives, baseball bats, pepper spray. But a gun fires so quickly, that it's usually a given that a person is dead once it's been fired...

BBM

And innocent people die because of overreactions like this. If the person isn't harming anyone, robbing the store, or waving the gun around, why does it matter if they have a gun or not?
Because Target has their own security people, it's not necessary, it's intimidation. That's why Open Carry has failed in California.

GZ might have had the flashlights in his vehicle at all times and grabbed them when he decided to pursue TM.

Do you think GZ used the flashlights trying to locate TM?

It would freak me out.

I was stalked by an abusive ex for months and he pulled a gun on me twice - I would still never own a gun myself. I don't begrudge others that right but there is just too much that can go wrong - and with my luck I'd shoot myself instead of my target. ;)

That would be me BritsKate. I would surely shoot myself in the foot.

But to what degree? Head wounds that bleed at all (I realize some don't) are notorious for bleeding profusely.
Yeah, where's the paralysis? Remember, he was close to spoon-feeding and diapers for life...

I think if the NRA had the power, they would wish for all newborns to be born with a gun on their hips..They sure do lobby and advance their want to have guns available to everyone and everywhere regardless of being the responsible thing to do or not..JMOO :maddening:

As Americans, we have the right to own firearms.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
just_a_shouthern_gal