LA - Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette, 19 May 2012 - #8

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carried over from T-5, but wanted to respond.

I carry mace on my keychain and have taken a self defense class. What really shook me to the core was the case of a young women who was jogging... with her dog...and had a black belt, and was still attacked and murdered. He hit her in the back of the head and gained control over her. THAT is scary. She couldn't do anything. I can't remember her name, but I want to say it was in CA. Just chilling.

I don't want to stick my head in the sand, but I also don't want to think about that too much. It makes me feel so utterly powerless :(

If you feel unsafe, take a self-defense class. I am not sure what the laws in Louisiana are for concealed handguns, but if you are comfortable with that, buy a gun, take the course, and carry your weapon. I don't leave my house without mine.

Is there a local clergy member who you would be able to reach out to- provide you with advice and support?

Just saw this on the main page and wanted to say that I've been in New Orleans all weekend, and Mickey's missing posters are everywhere. I saw them in the quarter in several different places, and uptown on Magazine St. Someone down there is doing a good job getting the word out.

Also, in many states, it is pretty easy to purchase a taser for protection if you are uncomfortable with a handgun, but still want some sort of weapon to carry. They are generally inexpensive and you can conceal them easily.

Thank you nutkin, been thinking about that. Do you know if there's any kind of license/certification involved to buy a taser?

Carried over from T-5, but wanted to respond.

I carry mace on my keychain and have taken a self defense class. What really shook me to the core was the case of a young women who was jogging... with her dog...and had a black belt, and was still attacked and murdered. He hit her in the back of the head and gained control over her. THAT is scary. She couldn't do anything. I can't remember her name, but I want to say it was in CA. Just chilling.

I'm wondering if this woman had ear buds or headphones on listening to music while she was jogging? To me, that is one of the most dangerous things a person can do because then you really are not aware of your surroundings and you certainly cannot hear someone creeping up on you.

Another dangerous thing is texting while walking to your car or just walking in general. I see teens doing this all the time and they really aren't aware of their surroundings.

Not placing any blame here, but just food for thought...

Hey, good try, but the car's an Oldsmobile 98 Regency, NOT a Cadillac. We worked that out last night. The key was the blurry second photo. Look at the back of the car where the red side marker light makes a long horizontal streak. The Fleetwood's marker light is higher, vertical, and incorporated in the taillight. The photo exactly matches the Olds:

http://www.katc.com/images/carpicture.JPG

THIS IS THE CAR:
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5285/5244729316_43ed3f1817.jpg

http://forums.aaca.org/attachments/...B9nET430NKPg2AXO74Vd&ved=0CF8Q9QEwAA&dur=8756

Thank you nutkin, been thinking about that. Do you know if there's any kind of license/certification involved to buy a taser?

No, you don't. I am pretty sure you just have to be 18 to purchase one and can just walk in a store, buy one, and walk out.

Thanks for the corrections, bessie. IIRC, the white truck in Lauren's case had a logo I think. My memoiry is foggy, need more coffee LOL!

wm
Yes, the logo was for a local business. No description of the driver was ever released.

No, you don't. I am pretty sure you just have to be 18 to purchase one and can just walk in a store, buy one, and walk out.

Oh, good. Because I'm pretty sure that if I had to prove I had any sort of physical coordination, they would put me on the black list for the rest of my life! I'll be checking it out, thanks for the suggestion.

I've recorded on video the route that MS took. It is currently being uploaded and I will share the link when it is available. It starts at BW's house and goes all the way to the back of the cajundome. It passes all the spots where pics were taken of her and the vehicles. I did this because someone asked for it and I think it would help a lot of people visualize what ocurred.

Stun Guns/Tasers are Legal and do not require a permit: Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Mexico, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington State, West Virginia and Wyoming.

I'm wondering if this woman had ear buds or headphones on listening to music while she was jogging? To me, that is one of the most dangerous things a person can do because then you really are not aware of your surroundings and you certainly cannot hear someone creeping up on you.

Another dangerous thing is texting while walking to your car or just walking in general. I see teens doing this all the time and they really aren't aware of their surroundings.

Not placing any blame here, but just food for thought...

Exactly. There was another middle aged lady taking a walk and even talking to her husband via cell....and was nabbed right in the middle of the conversation. :what: I'm sure her case is here at WS....I'm so bad at remembering names in cases.

Anyone interested in self defense i would recommend getting licensed to carry a gun. Having been both tasered and maced (to test the effects) I can tell you it's not that much of a deterrent.

But then again, cops had to shoot a guy in Florida six times to get him to stop eating someones face as he was all hopped up on bath salt/lsd. So apparently a gun isnt much of a deterrent either.

So just learn to run REALLY fast

I didn't follow Lauren's case. Was a description of the driver ever mentioned?

I believe they found and cleared the driver of the white truck in the LS case but apparently have reopened this issue.

Interesting.

LS is the daughter of our accountant.

So worried about this young woman ( and all the others) As a mom( of young women this age) and a teacher- I will say here, as I tweeted the other day under ( teacherUnedited) What are we teaching our children? What about safety first..."no, #weAreNotInviclible

:-(
:panic:

Prayers for the Missing

something else i havent seen mentioned here, and i could be way of base. has anyone considered the possibility of her riding into this part if town to score some pot? im not in any way talking bad about Mickey, but if this is what she was trying to do it would maybe explain why she would stop for a vehicle. but then again she had made no calls prior to coming to this area as far as i know, other than to her friend.

I think it's already been established her that her group of friends was into pot; and our search party was given a description of her, the bike, and her belongings which included a pipe.

Oh great thought about the antropology program, andalso! It''s been awhile since I've followed Lauren's case closely but I recall she went on a dig in Israel. (she was a fashion major tho)

I thought the police ruled that white truck out too. Perhaps BPD revisiting it since Mickey's disappearance and a white truck is seen in surveillance vids.

moo

wm

Yep, but oddly enough she was supposed to do an internship with the Anthropologie store in NYC that summer.

Anyone interested in self defense i would recommend getting licensed to carry a gun. Having been both tasered and maced (to test the effects) I can tell you it's not that much of a deterrent.

But then again, cops had to shoot a guy in Florida six times to get him to stop eating someones face as he was all hopped up on bath salt/lsd. So apparently a gun isnt much of a deterrent either.

Eating someone's face?! Good grief. I'm locking myself in my room for the rest of my born days.

You make a good point, but (I know this sounds silly) I'm afraid of guns. I think I would be somewhat likely to shoot myself while trying to shoot someone else. They make me queasy and nervous. I'd rather the taser but if it really isn't much of a deterrent....well :(

The problem with both tasers and mace is that you have to get body-close to use them, especially tasers. Most male perps are going to have arms longer than yours and will be stronger than you, so relying on a taser will give you a false sense of security.

It's safer to be sober, aware of your surroundings, and all the classic things.
Also, from watching a re-run over the weekend of the Amber Dubois case, where she was threatened by a guy with a knife and told to "get in the car," we need to remind young people NOT ever to go to a secondary scene with someone. That is, take your chances running and screaming, rather than ever letting someone take you somewhere else.

Okay, I am a sick woman, but you made me laugh. I heard about that zombie guy eating the other guys face, OMG...horrible...

I also have been tasered and although not pleasant, not much more than something to really piss you off. I had to self inflict on several sites for my Cert. But also we used to Taser each other on the night shift out of boredom, and all it does is make a person get very mad in my opinion. However Stun gun may be a different story, never had to endure that horror.

I believe that a weapon in the wrong hands can actually be more dangerous than a victim without one. I would hope that whomever gets a weapon follows through with practice and training. I find that the main factor between getting got and getting away is "reactionary gap". We must be alert and try not to become complacent in our everyday life. We can lower our statistics of becoming a victim by being diligent about learning and implementing all that is available for self preservation. (dogs at home, lock doors, windows, lock car after getting in it, check car before getting in it, be alert of surroundings etc) I also have bells on all my windows and doors, if someone is trying to come in silently they will have to work it. I guess self preservation is half paranoia and half confidence. IMHO

Eating someone's face?! Good grief. I'm locking myself in my room for the rest of my born days.

You make a good point, but (I know this sounds silly) I'm afraid of guns. I think I would be somewhat likely to shoot myself while trying to shoot someone else. They make me queasy and nervous. I'd rather the taser but if it really isn't much of a deterrent....well :(

Yeah lots of people are uneasy about guns. But the class you take to get your concealed permit is very useful in that it not only teaches you gun safety and how to handle it properly, but also makes you very comfortable with carrying one. And for a lot of people it is life changing to feel the level of safety you get from having a gun.

We live in a crazy world and are one of the few gun friendly states. I wish most women would take advantage of that

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member