LA - Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette, 19 May 2012 - #8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the video, Becky and Shelly! That was really helpful to see the route and the area. Did you continue the video all the way to Mickey's house as you mentioned at the end of the video?

Unfortunately, no, but it's not something I'm sure would be a good idea simply because there are two routes I can think of that she might have taken, and I'd rather record that, you know?

Anyone know which way she'd have gone if she had made it past where she was last pictured?

I am going to go out on a limb here. I mean no disrespect to Shelley. But I am going to assume that the list of who they don't want participating is made with professionalism.

I don't for one second think someone's ego is the reason for anyone's inclusion on that list.

ALSO: I've read through thread seven last night and this morning. I want to add a couple of comments to address some speculations that were posted.

First off: BRETTLY NEVER SAID THAT MICKEY RODE IN THE ROAD FACING TRAFFIC. If we are going to parse his statements, the least we could do is parse things he actually did say.

He said this was her regular bike route. No one has challenged that.

He said that when she got to West Congress, her norm was to ride on the SIDEWALK on the left hand side of the road. Please note he said sidewalk, not in the road facing traffic! No one has challenged that statement, either.

It is against the law here to ride in the roadway facing traffic. Mickey was experienced with riding her bike, she knew not to ride against traffic.

SECONDLY: it is not worth speculating that Mickey rode off to another bar, because bars in Lafayette have a MANDATORY close time of 2AM.

She would not have had time to get to another bar before closing time!

I am not trying to be ugly here, but it brings down the whole purpose of trying to help find Mickey if we get stuck on tangents that have zero basis in fact or possibility.
I was out there at Ryan street on sunday, the day after MS went missing. I volunteered with my own car and gas for 4 straight days when there was no professionalism. It was haphazard volunteering and unsafe fieldwork until EQUA search got involved. It was egos and the conception that they could make it more professional on Thursday. I think it was all about 9usd. taking instead of giving; they wanted to give me the message to be a giver instead of taker. LOL. Who feels it is there right to send that message out.

Very good point. I read somewhere that serial killer DTL worked at Dow Chemical in Baton Rouge. Perhaps they (and others) hire contractors?

I am sure they do. But, are petrochemicals a big industry in TN and IN?

Yeah, but this is taking her out of her way, quite a ways, IMO. You're right about the lighting, and we noticed the sidewalks are better after you pass the Cajundome.

(OT... are the margins blown for everyone or just for me?)

Still, her family/friends say that is the route she normally takes. She was an avid cyclist, a few more miles probably didn't make a huge difference to her, and if she was familiar with the area (especially being a UL student, she may have gone from campus to BW's house regularly and just felt comfortable on those streets) she probably wanted to stick with something familiar to her--if this was her normal path, and she often biked at this time, she'd know what was ordinary and out of the ordinary on this route as opposed to a shorter route she didn't travel as often.

And margins blown here too.

Wow thanks for taking this video. It's hard to imagine a young woman travelling this vast and changing route via bike at night.
There's no way I would have ever done that - no way.
I was brought to tears watching the video, imagining it being sooo dark on her ride. I sure wish we could turn back time. Hug those babies, no matter how old and how well we have taught them stranger danger and how prepared they think they are..

:please:

Unfortunately, no, but it's not something I'm sure would be a good idea simply because there are two routes I can think of that she might have taken, and I'd rather record that, you know?

Anyone know which way she'd have gone if she had made it past where she was last pictured?

She would have gone down Cajundome Blvd to Congress, and instead of going all the way down to Ambassador, she would have cut through the neighboorhood between Guilbeau and Ambassador Caffery to come out on the light on Bonaire--according to news broadcasts given out around the time that they did the solidarity bike ride last week.

We did not tape anything up. We scattered them around on the ground for people to know we had been there in the dark. Good idea that the perp could have done it to mock us! ugh....

I asked this before but I didn't see it answered. Does she have a boyfriend?

I was out there at Ryan street on sunday, the day after MS went missing. I volunteered with my own car and gas for 4 straight days when there was no professionalism. It was haphazard volunteering and unsafe fieldwork until EQUA search got involved. It was egos and the conception that they could make it more professional on Thursday. I think it was all about 9usd. taking instead of giving; they wanted to give me the message to be a giver instead of taker. LOL. Who feels it is there right to send that message out.

Whomever put a nine dollar tag on you was there for the wrong reason. Shame on them. Just keep your head up and keep movin on. :) Good job you are doing.

Interesting...they had fliers taped up near where the bike was found.

Edit to add: Did you guys tape fliers? Or just scatter them? If that was on Thursday, there's a possibility that the perp taped up a flier themselves--which brings me back to the bike being planted as a taunt to LE.
we did NOT TAPE UP FLIERS at midnight around Whiskey Bay and I-10. We scattered them in the brush to let people know we had been there. Makes me wonder how close I got to the PERP.

To the people discussing the weed issue, they were at Artmosphere that night. If she wanted something, she could have gotten a good quality product from someone there safely. I don't think she was seeking anything from anyone on her way home.

She would have gone down Cajundome Blvd to Congress, and instead of going all the way down to Ambassador, she would have cut through the neighboorhood between Guilbeau and Ambassador Caffery to come out on the light on Bonaire--according to news broadcasts given out around the time that they did the solidarity bike ride last week.

Okay.... well, then later on, after my husband gets home, I'll see about doing the route again and including that part of the ride.

I also think it would be good to put the new fliers with the pics of the car that Chicken Fried made up at area Family Dollars and Dollar Generals in Lafayette and surrounding areas.

So wait----there were no flyers there (Whiskey Bay) this past Friday but there was one Saturday when her bike was found? If that's what I hear you're saying, that's chilling...
Yes I think that is the conclusion we are being drawn too. I was part of a team that was in the deep underbrush searching Whiskey Bay and I-10 and we scattered fliers on the ground in case other team members came by to know where we had been. perhaps the PERP was watching US!!

A new thread to bring this case new luck is right around the corner.....

Stand by!

ETA: new thread right here: [ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=173951"]LA LA - Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette; 19 May 2012: #9 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500