GUILTY NC - Kathy Taft, 62, Raleigh, 6 March 2010 - #6

Does anyone have an idea as to what 'book series' this might be? I'm just curious. I love to read, but I don't like sadistic type books. I enjoy a lot of Stephen King, but not for the gruesome nature, simply enjoy his story lines.

I don't know Glee. There are so many out there now I would be hard pressed to guess.

Now we are making progress with this foresenic psychologist! Its like she knows the questions I'm yelling at my computer!

O.M.G. ditto to whomever said there goes ANY sympathy I had for his family. Not that I had much.... bunch of twisted enablers.

About the enabling......I think I saw everything coming like a freight train early last week when the defense used everybody on both sides of the family tree as an excuse for JWs behavior. We all saw it and what it boils down to is as much nothing as it is something. This forensic psych. has debunked several reports and diagnosis of the previous psychs and doctors. The parents obviously care(ed) for him from his earliest problems forward but apparently gave in, ignored to a degree, took the easy way out, protected, coddled, lied for, glossed over, and everything else detrimentally when they should have thrown down some hard hitting rules of the house when he was 14 years old. Sounds to me like they are the ones who have blamed family genes for his behavior since he was an early teen and have expected all other professionals to follow suit instead of admitting that JW was an out of hand, spoiled, self indulgent, rotten kid. What a huge waste.

I'm trying to figure out what the state wants to rebut.

Hi, Prance!
icon12.gif

I think with this witness (she is a Forensic Psychiatrist employed by the State of NC, and she works at the Central Hospital in Butner), they want her to testify to her evaluation of JW, especially w/regard to his state of mind on Mar 5 and 6, 2010.

I do wonder though, how come the prosecutors did not call her as part of their case in chief?

Same here, Seattle's-Best. Maybe she wasn't available??? Maybe she was also on the DT's witness list???

Does anyone have an idea as to what 'book series' this might be? I'm just curious. I love to read, but I don't like sadistic type books. I enjoy a lot of Stephen King, but not for the gruesome nature, simply enjoy his story lines.

I'm curious too. If you figure it out, or even have some guesses, please post it/them. Didn't she say it was a popular series from the 80's or did I misunderstand her? And I agree, she was a very good witness.

I do wonder what books he requested his parents to buy & bring. Dr. Wolfe (sp?) said one was by a well-known author... She also said she thought it "interesting" (I think that was the word she used) that he would request such a book (sexual violence) while being evaluated for a charge of murder & rape.

Damm odd, IYAM. What ain't in this case, peeps?

I liked this witness. She seemed calm & reasonable and very forthcoming. Like Hilkey, she nixed the bi-polar diagnosis.

If I understand correctly, she was called to rebutt the defense witnesses as to 'state of mind'. It would be my assumption perhaps her testimony couldn't be introduced until JW's 'state of mind' was addressed by the defense??

As a rebuttal witness she has great impact. She puts the final touch on everyone else, so I think it was smart to save her until then. If they had put her on in their CIC and then the defense had their experts testify, it might have diluted the impact.

For the record I do think JW is mentally ill and was more than just a spoiled kid with no boundaries. But that doesn't make him insane and incapable of forming intent. And from what Dr. Wolfe said, he most certainly was able to do just that the night of the murder, along with intent, planning, etc.

Well firstly, if anyone ever does a forensic exam of my computer, I want you all to vouch for my sanity! The stuff I've googled over my years in true crime. < shakes head in embarrassment > I can't come up with much for 'popular series of books, 1980's including violence and sexual sadism.' I keep getting Anne Rice's Vampire series & The Handmaids Tale, neither of which I've read. I also came up with 'Punisher', but that appeared to be a comic book series. Anybody have any other suggestions?

I thought she was going to testify as to what she learned from JW's prior girlfriend?? That's what the big discussion was about between the lawyers & Judge G. Was looking forward to hearing what that might entail?

Not to worry, Gracie. Dr. Wolfe specifically said that just because people like to read fiction that contains violence, it doesn't mean they are going to go out and commit a crime or have committed a crime.

JW is different. Violence and sexual sadism are turn ons for him and he commits crimes that have those elements.

She also said that just because some people stay up late into the night (like reading a book they can't put down, for instance), that doesn't mean they're "manic." It means they are happily engaged in an activity that is keeping them awake.

Where was JW housed while waiting trial? Would the jail/prison not screen outside reading materials, like searching the cake for a file?

Also, keep wondering if JWs sister is "normal" or does she possess traits like JW. Hope this lineage ends with this generation.

I think very early on the parents thought that by getting him psych help
it would, a. 'fix' him, b. remove or at the very least relieve their responsibility for his behavior. It did neither. JW nor his parents were totally honest with the earlier professionals, would not even talk with/interview with today's doctor. They should have bored a hole in each of the earlier professionals for help and results that they, as parents, could see. Things only got worse with JW except for that one year he was sober and 'normal'. She said she did not think he was insane, she did not think he was bipolar, she saw that he was able to form intent, etc. and there are other diagnosis she didn't totally agree with from previous doctors. She was a terrific witness for the state.
Throughout the years, he has probably done terrible damage to his otherwise highly functioning brain through the use of illegal and legal drugs, plus the alcohol abuse. Again, what a waste of not only his life, but of KT's, her family's, his parents, other family and friends who love him, and the taxpayers for enduring the cost of this trial.

Except for the 1 month JW was housed at the Butner mental hospital for evaluation, I think he was at Central Prison in Raleigh. The books were brought to JW while he was at Butner, by his parents. Dr. Wolfe said the material was sealed (by the manufacturer). There wouldn't be any need for prison workers to check it for something put inside the book since it is sealed. Guards and workers don't analyze the books to see if a prisoner should be reading them. Books that contain violent themes as part of the storylines are not kept from prisoners. I mean, they're not getting *advertiser censored* or Playboy or anything illegal, but I don't think the type of fiction is otherwise limited.

The doctor made a note of it because she was trying to determine JW's interest and taste in books and he wouldn't give her an answer.

Not to worry, Gracie. Dr. Wolfe specifically said that just because people like to read fiction that contains violence, it doesn't mean they are going to go out and commit a crime or have committed a crime.

JW is different. Violence and sexual sadism are turn ons for him and he commits crimes that have those elements.

She also said that just because some people stay up late into the night (like reading a book they can't put down, for instance), that doesn't mean they're "manic." It means they are happily engaged in an activity that is keeping them awake.

Yeah, but she hasn't seen my google history! :floorlaugh: Once she studies that, well I'm guessin' a straitjacket will be called for at once. :woohoo:

and then they'll lock me up, :jail:

And I'll be lookin for all of you to come and rescue me!

:rollercoaster:

and splain' 'it's all for research'.

:razz:

:pillowfight2:

:panic:

:anguish:

Where was JW housed while waiting trial? Would the jail/prison not screen outside reading materials, like searching the cake for a file?

Also, keep wondering if JWs sister is "normal" or does she possess traits like JW. Hope this lineage ends with this generation.

I think they are housed at Central Prison in Raleigh while awaiting trial?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Websleuth0000
Back