LA - Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette 19 May 2012 - #31

Status
Not open for further replies.
Something new....... :woohoo: Today, Friday June 29, 2012, the local tv stations repeatedly showed a poster with Mickeys picture and the white truck on St Landry street that was a minute or two behind her. They asked if any info on the white truck to call tip line. Yeah! It's about time.

What would be even better, if they did determine that box on the right back was a service box or whatever -- that would bethe identifying factor -- rathre than just ask people if they have seen a white truck - every Gremillion and Leblanc has seen tousands of white trucks....but that service box is unusual..as far as white trucks with service boxes which hve a lable on them...

seriously!!!! what in the world is up with that??!! let's ask the public for help identifying a rapist 10 days after when he's most likely in another state. real smart! he's probably at Ole' Miss or Tuscaloosa on Alabama's campus trying to figure out which cute cyclist he can hit in July.

can someone give me ONE reason why they didn't put his picture out until 10 days later?
:mad::mad::mad:

'Antiquated SOPs and strategies of Silence which have traditionally been used by LE since early in the last century'.. The same strategy utilized by many LEAs across the US that are causing more innocent victims lives lost and mounting cold cases.

"The Silent Epidemic of the Missing/Murdered across the US which now exceeds over 100,000 persons due to squandering the most valuable resource in missing persons investigations; the American public"..

Stopped everything dead in it's tracks. Everything turned over to LPD. It's up to them to finish following up on all of it

:gthanks: Thanks for all you've done to help bring Mickey home.
I applaud you for honoring the wishes of the Shunick family.
You are a 'Real Class Act' :great: :tyou:

Still checking in on Mickey's thread when I can, hoping she will soon come home.

What would be even better, if they did determine that box on the right back was a service box or whatever -- that would bethe identifying factor -- rathre than just ask people if they have seen a white truck - every Gremillion and Leblanc has seen tousands of white trucks....but that service box is unusual..as far as white trucks with service boxes which hve a lable on them...

Great post! Thank you.

Bottom line is that the PUBLIC needs to see more stills of the DWT. Help us, help you LE!!!! :banghead:

Nola, to conclude the most logical explanation, place yourself in the head of the predator. You have executed a perfect rouse and arrived at your safe haven to carry out your evil fantasies. Then your victim; a 22 year old coed, just out witted you while putting a whipping on you, and then successfully escaping your control.

Are you going to take the time to unsecure and remove a bike off the roof of your car. Leave the bike & damning forensic evidence at the scene of the crime. Or are you going to get the hell out of dodge with the bike in tow?..

It will be interesting to learn what the would be rapist did do in this case.

The reporters aren't making it easy to figure out. :crosseyed:Maybe the NC reporter and the Oregon reporter went to the same college. No offense to anyone's alma mater.:rocker:

In regards to the NC incident:

They made this confusing. Depending on the article itsounds like the perp left the bike & took off or she left the bike & took off. I think she left and took off and left the bike behind on the roof of the SUV.

He is described as muscular but he appears to me to have a beer belly so he may hang out in a pub.I am sure by now the facial hair and cap are gone and they are probably looking for a man who may even be starting to bald. (Hence wearing the cap at night.). I wonder where she had been on a Monday night until that late. She may have been followed from where she had been.

Its not often.
But this is one of those cases I wish I had the money to fly to LA and spend a weekend to do some searching with a local.

Its not often.
But this is one of those cases I wish I had the money to fly to LA and spend a weekend to do some searching with a local.

At this point I believe that the time and money would be best spent with K-9 search dogs searching the area around Whiskey Bay. I believe the simplest answer is the best: She was abducted and killed within the first 24 hours. Her bike was found in Whiskey Bay and her body was either dumped there or buried nearby. I believe LE made a serious mistake not closing off that area as a crime scene until K9 teams could search. I would say a 3 mile radius. Probably in a soft dirt ravine or into deep brush. As much as I wish she were alive, the modus operandi of a snatch and grab victim is that the perp will kill within 24 hours. I vacillate between believing the perp knew her and it a random kidnapping, but I tend to believe it is more involved with her job dealing with horses, selling horses, or some family matter. I just keeping going back to the center -- which means her immediate friends/family and not a stranger abduction. To me this case will break when somebody who has their cards held close finally lays them down.

At this point I believe that the time and money would be best spent with K-9 search dogs searching the area around Whiskey Bay. I believe the simplest answer is the best: She was abducted and killed within the first 24 hours. Her bike was found in Whiskey Bay and her body was either dumped there or buried nearby. I believe LE made a serious mistake not closing off that area as a crime scene until K9 teams could search. I would say a 3 mile radius. Probably in a soft dirt ravine or into deep brush. As much as I wish she were alive, the modus operandi of a snatch and grab victim is that the perp will kill within 24 hours. I vacillate between believing the perp knew her and it a random kidnapping, but I tend to believe it is more involved with her job dealing with horses, selling horses, or some family matter. I just keeping going back to the center -- which means her immediate friends/family and not a stranger abduction. To me this case will break when somebody who has their cards held close finally lays them down.

They have searched that bay area time and time again after the bike was found by a stroke of luck. Its time to move on from there and go out east and check the exits along the I10 all the way to Baton Rouge to see if anything else of hers was dumped along the way. If something else is found it would help give a direction of travel after dropping the bike at the bridge..........Just thinking out loud.

Sadly I thnk you are right about the perp killing her, but I think that he left her somewhere other than WB, closer to Lafayette. I would not be surprised if it was somewhere that he knew had been searched in the very begining. It wouldn't surprise me to find out that he participated in searches in order to know what was going on with the search efforts. I wonder if he didn't leave her in the Vermillion or some other body of water close to the Saints street area.

It will be interesting to learn what the would be rapist did do in this case.

The reporters aren't making it easy to figure out. :crosseyed:Maybe the NC reporter and the Oregon reporter went to the same college. No offense to anyone's alma mater.:rocker:

No one is buying newspapers, they are cutting back production, cutting back on paying reporters, just a sign of the times to come -- journalism is a lost art -- young folks of today are too busy trying to make ends meet to sit down in the morning with a cup of coffee and read a paper -- thus -- newspapers don't pay proofreaders -- in other words -- Rome is burning -- Nero is fiddling -- nobody listening.

In regards to the NC incident:

They made this confusing. Depending on the article itsounds like the perp left the bike & took off or she left the bike & took off. I think she left and took off and left the bike behind on the roof of the SUV.

He is described as muscular but he appears to me to have a beer belly so he may hang out in a pub.I am sure by now the facial hair and cap are gone and they are probably looking for a man who may even be starting to bald. (Hence wearing the cap at night.). I wonder where she had been on a Monday night until that late. She may have been followed from where she had been.

The photos of him & his vehicle were from a local mall.

Sadly I thnk you are right about the perp killing her, but I think that he left her somewhere other than WB, closer to Lafayette. I would not be surprised if it was somewhere that he knew had been searched in the very begining. It wouldn't surprise me to find out that he participated in searches in order to know what was going on with the search efforts. I wonder if he didn't leave her in the Vermillion or some other body of water close to the Saints street area.

After seven weeks, the elements would have lessened the probability of locating her, unless she is being held as hostage, which is very unlikely if she was abducted by an experienced sexual predator.

http://theadvocate.com/home/3191028-125/br-couple-treed-by-alligators

BR couple treed by alligators

After seven weeks, the elements would have lessened the probability of locating her, unless she is being held as hostage, which is very unlikely if she was abducted by an experienced sexual predator.

http://theadvocate.com/home/3191028-125/br-couple-treed-by-alligators

BR couple treed by alligators
After seeing an aerial shot of WB I think it's possible that the perp actually threw Mickey and her bike off the bridge near deeper water. Maybe a passing boat damaged the bike and pushed it closer to the shore.

The photos of him & his vehicle were from a local mall.

One thing I did notice about the photo is that he appears to be wearing shorts like gym trunks/sweats with elastic waistband instead of regular shorts with zipper and button. Quicker for a rape. Now I'll be looking suspiciously at anyone in gym trunks!

DH is loooong time LE. When the bike was first found at WB I asked him if he thought Mickey would be found there too. He immediately said "no". When I asked why not, he said "where are they looking for her now?", I said "by the bike dump", he said "exactly! She won't be there". I guess that made sense to me and I didn't think of it that way. Guess that's why I'm not LE.

Another thing he said while I was complaining about no information being released, that LE can't give out details because then you always get people "confessing". That seemed weird to me too,(people confessing, but he said it happens all the time), but he said you have to keep the details quiet so only the perp knows them. Guess that makes sense too. Anyway, FWIW, and when he lets me pick his brain.

Have to address something real quick here.
I notice there is speculation that the perp in this case may be a poster.
Can't go there guys.
First it is discussing members, second it just is bad practice to start thinking each other might be the suspect. Leads to sleuthing of each other and that is verboten!
We cherish your anonymity here and that is paramount.

It is probably safe to assume that this suspect and other suspects read here and other boards. But to start imagining that one of us is the suspect just gets out of bounds.

It has happened in other cases- so don't get me wrong. But if it should happen again- it would not be open for discussion on the thread-it would be monitored by those that need to know and best we all just keep talking about the case.

HTH.

ETA: as always if you note suspicious behavior report it to us privately and we can always report to authorities.

DH is loooong time LE. When the bike was first found at WB I asked him if he thought Mickey would be found there too. He immediately said "no". When I asked why not, he said "where are they looking for her now?", I said "by the bike dump", he said "exactly! She won't be there". I guess that made sense to me and I didn't think of it that way. Guess that's why I'm not LE.

Another thing he said while I was complaining about no information being released, that LE can't give out details because then you always get people "confessing". That seemed weird to me too,(people confessing, but he said it happens all the time), but he said you have to keep the details quiet so only the perp knows them. Guess that makes sense too. Anyway, FWIW, and when he lets me pick his brain.

RE: but he said you have to keep the details quiet so only the perp knows them.

'ERRN1313, this is referred too as hold back info/evidence'.. Yes it is important to hold back a couple items of evidence/info, to rule out/in POIs/suspects, but to silence the whole investigation is simply based on tradition and squanders their most valuable resource; the American public.
Most missing/ murdered investigations in the 21st century are closed due to forensics and/or a tip from the public.

Stranger on stranger abductions/crimes are the most difficult for investigators to solve. Time is critical in these cases, due to the recidivist nature of the perps. The longer they remain stealth, the more empowered they, and others become. They will not only repeat, but many times they will escalate...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500