OH OH - Katelyn Markham, 22, Fairfield, 14 August 2011 - #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
With the pic of a pic being sent, the dog in her room it almost appears that she was in the process of getting ready for bed. Did someone knock on her door that she knew? Was the door even locked and someone surprised her in her room and she walked out by force? The key is knowing exactly what KM did after JC left (if his story is true) and that remains a mystery.

Was Katelyn's dog a little barky dog (or I guess even a large barky dog) that didn't like strangers or even neighbors it was accustomed to seeing? I have a dog like that - freaks out and barks & will try to bite the ankles of neighbors when they come to my door. I have to put the dog in the kennel or in another room with the door shut so it can't get out when someone knocks on my door other than family members and very close friends that the dog likes. I have to yell through the door "hold on - let me put the dog up!" Maybe someone did knock on K's door and she shut the dog in her bedroom so she could open the door without it barking or trying to attack the person at the door. That makes sense to me. Maybe she put the dog up in her room, went and answered the door by taking a step outside her front door and shutting the door behind her so the dog back in the bedroom wouldn't bark when it heard the talking outside (or so that she could hear over the dog barking, if that makes sense), he tazed her or grabbed her or lied about a kitten in the parking lot needing help or some other disgusting ploy that would allow for her to leave with her keys in the apartment and dog locked in her room.
I hope they have the guy....
Like her father, I have long suspected someone closer to her....but I hope this is the guy and it can be proven.

I so wanted this to open up new leads on where to search, but based on everything I have heard from the reporter(s) and from my own digging, I don't think this will pan out. (I am very mad at the local station managers and producers who ran with lost leader headlines that were not accurate to what the reporters actually reported. Anger is being directed at the reporters and they are not the ones who misstated the facts - but I digress....)

Anyway, so I wanted to start at the beginning. I got a copy of the original police report (public document) as that is the beginning. After reviewing it - I have sincere doubts this case will ever be tried and result in a conviction of this man. Trust me, as a women's crime advocate, I hate to doubt this story but I do.

Here is the police report:
Page 1:
page1.jpg

Page 2:
page2.jpg

Things that hit me hinky:
1. She went to bed with the assistance of friends (unable to go to bed without help!?!)
2. Suspect called her "baby" (well now,that is mighty polite for a 'rapist'!)
3. She pulled her dress on and left ( nice 'rapist' to let her get dressed and leave) (odd that she was not in such fear she ran out naked yelling help, help)
4. Was able to send a text message within 7ish minutes of said attack (end time window) that she had been assaulted
5. *advertiser censored* said she realized she was without her cell phone and undergarments (how did she send the text above? Did the 'rapist' just stand there while she put on her dress and texted she was assaulted then she set her phone down before leaving?)
6. Found her undergarments between wall and bed. (Really, the rapist didn't rip them off and just fling them? Just placed together?)
7. She returned to the place of the assault ( wow - now that is brave - how did she know he was gone?)
8. Her cell phone on floor (did she put it there after sending the text?)
9. No sheets - unsure if there were sheets when she went to bed (blackout sure keeps coming to my mind)
10. Went to hospital (Didn't call 911 first?)

So, IMHO this is gonna be a hard sell as not consensual relations. To me, without knowing even more we don't know if she was in a functioning blackout state and the alleged was not aware of her level of intoxication and/or if he was in fact taking advantage of a person incapable of really giving consent. I have been around many drunk people who seemed tipsy but still were talking and doing and acting like they were aware of what was going on, whom the next day did not remember a thing.
I wonder if this is the only person whose DNA was requested. This man apparently gave it on request and stayed in the area for months after doing so.

I also feel that the 'headlines' the producers and station directors allowed to be aired and printed have done a grave injustice to this man and his ability to get a fair trial in this area (Fairfield or Oxford) and they also did a grave injustice to Katelyn in painting a picture that many have just jumped to the conclusion that this man must have done it since he lived across the street from her and worked within eye shot of her place. Personally, those facts don't make him any more likely than someone living next door or down the street and around the corner - do they?

I also just want to vent for a minute that some of the reporters are being thrown under the bus for this story. I have met in person and done stories on Katelyn with one in particular, who really cares deeply about Katelyn and wants her found and wants what makes reporters tic - she wants the truth. I commend her for looking and seeking any and all answers, and I have reviewed the reports and what the reporter says is 100% accurate from what I can tell. I wish the reporter had 10 minutes instead of one, because I think they could tell a lot more of the story if given the time.
What upsets me, is some of the reporters being attacked are the media contacts that are the biggest asset for keeping Katelyn's case alive and once people start burning those bridges - we stand little hope of getting reporters to come and do a story to KEEP AWARENESS FOR KATELYN if they are attacked for digging deep even if it leads nowhere. (VENT OFF)

I have so much more to say, on the inaccuracies being toted by different people (think facebook here) whom don't know the facts, but I will refrain for now because this post is already to big and I need to be somewhere in a little while. Just wanted to share this for now!

JUST MY HUMBLE OPINION.

Thanks for posting that police report but I disagree with your take on it, A_News_Junkie. The report surely seems to indicate that the victim did not know the attacker (Kang), she just described him as having an accent and a dark complexion. That's not what she would have been expected to say if she knew his identity. Also, the victim sending a text right after the assault, saying she was assaulted, and going to the hospital is what a woman would do after being assaulted. It does seem that she may have been very intoxicated when she went to sleep but that doesn't preclude her from having a strange man enter her room without permission.

This report didn't change my mind about the possibility of Kang's involvement in Katelyn's disappearance. I still think it's possible, although I don't have an idea of how probable. It does seem to me that the report paints him as a guy who entered a the room of a woman who was unfamiliar with him without permission and sexually assaulted her. Obviously that's yet to be decided in court but the police report appears to back up media reports about the incident. Of course his living, working and knowing Katelyn (to some degree) could still be a coincidence, almost all these cases have them and we've obviously probably seen one already in Chelsea Johnson's murder.

Thank you News Junkie for that report. That does seem more like a college party/drunken scenario.(Not at all excusing the rapist) Just seems like two different scenarios. Katelyn seems was lured outside by someone she knew and taken elsewhere(JMO), whereas this victim did not know her assailant.

I also agree that all avenues should be explored, however after learning more, I would be surprised if he was responsible for her disappearance. IDK... but I'm glad Katelyn is being talked about again!

Thank you News Junkie for that report. That does seem more like a college party/drunken scenario.(Not at all excusing the rapist) Just seems like two different scenarios. Katelyn seems was lured outside by someone she knew and taken elsewhere(JMO), whereas this victim did not know her assailant.

I also agree that all avenues should be explored, however after learning more, I would be surprised if he was responsible for her disappearance. IDK... but I'm glad Katelyn is being talked about again!

You welcome. I do not excuse the man for his behavior, even if that is just failing to realize the young lady was too intoxicated to really give consent. I am also not excluding that the crime might be what it is charged as, but I was shocked by the lack of supporting details. I feel horrible for the girl but if she was indeed intoxicated to the point of being helped to bed and non observant, she too needs to learn from the horrible experience and take steps to assure her personal responsibility in the future.

The accused doesn't have a criminal history that would seem to support the claim either and that makes it harder to prove that it was a crime, IMHO. All I can find on him is what appears to have been not ID'd and sold alcohol to a minor and completed classes for that and a failure to use proper turn signal.

At this point, sure - anything is possible but I just am not seeing anything convincing me that this man will be convicted or that he has anything to do with KM disappearance.

If something horrible has happened to KM - I kinda wanted this guy to pan out as it would have opened up possible new places to search for KM. I just personally have other people on my short list whom had known associations to her that seem more probable. JMHO, of course.
(Nobody ask me who is on my short list as nobody has been named a POI or suspect and that would be against TOS to say!)

It is also possible that this newest victim may have been suffering the affects of GHB or other similar drug, not just regular drunkeness. This may still have been a planned assault. JMHO

It is also possible that this newest victim may have been suffering the affects of GHB or other similar drug, not just regular drunkeness. This may still have been a planned assault. JMHO

She sure could have and unless they have changed the standard rape kit, they draw blood for just that reason.

I hope we find out and if this guy did in fact violate her, I would want him punished to the full extent of the law. But today, starting from the "presumption of innocence" standard, and only having this report and the media reports - I would be a hard sell on a jury and I am normally an easy sell on these issues.

You welcome. I do not excuse the man for his behavior, even if that is just failing to realize the young lady was too intoxicated to really give consent. I am also not excluding that the crime might be what it is charged as, but I was shocked by the lack of supporting details. I feel horrible for the girl but if she was indeed intoxicated to the point of being helped to bed and non observant, she too needs to learn from the horrible experience and take steps to assure her personal responsibility in the future.
The accused doesn't have a criminal history that would seem to support the claim either and that makes it harder to prove that it was a crime, IMHO. All I can find on him is what appears to have been not ID'd and sold alcohol to a minor and completed classes for that and a failure to use proper turn signal.

At this point, sure - anything is possible but I just am not seeing anything convincing me that this man will be convicted or that he has anything to do with KM disappearance.

If something horrible has happened to KM - I kinda wanted this guy to pan out as it would have opened up possible new places to search for KM. I just personally have other people on my short list whom had known associations to her that seem more probable. JMHO, of course.
(Nobody ask me who is on my short list as nobody has been named a POI or suspect and that would be against TOS to say!)

bbm Wow. Since when does being intoxicated give a man the right to rape a woman? She pushed him away and told him to STOP. To be honest, I am really shocked by your post. It's almost like blaming a victim because their clothing was too revealing so they asked for it.

She apparently didn't know this guy. How in the world did he end up inside the house?

I think he's the most viable suspect in Katelyn's case. He may have attempted the same thing with Katelyn but this time, he didn't leave the victim/witness behind.

fwiw from the article, that gas station is owned by the family.

:moo:

bbm Wow. Since when does being intoxicated give a man the right to rape a woman? She pushed him away and told him to STOP. To be honest, I am really shocked by your post. It's almost like blaming a victim because their clothing was too revealing so they asked for it.

She apparently didn't know this guy. How in the world did he end up inside the house?

I think he's the most viable suspect in Katelyn's case. He may have attempted the same thing with Katelyn but this time, he didn't leave the victim/witness behind.

fwiw from the article, that gas station is owned by the family.

:moo:

That is not at all what I meant - my communication skills must be lacking. What I meant by personal responsibility, is to not get so intoxicated where one can not have a fighting chance against an attacker. From what I understand (rumor as I don't have a link handy) this guy was at the same party as her, and didn't break in. I think that is how they knew to ask him for his DNA. I am not automatically discounting her story nor believing his - my point is that *I* feel there are several flags that this might not be as *our* local stations reported it and now half the people or more who saw this think this guy IS a CONVICTED RAPIST and IS the Killer of KM and neither have been proven and I think that proving the first one will be difficult unless there is a ton more we don't know (other witness statements for example.)

Yes, the Marathon gas station is owned by his uncle and that uncles house is the last known address for him.

If this guy took advantage of her in an unconscious state - throw the book at the ba$tard. If this began with him not knowing she was that far gone and he felt she was in agreement but was really too wasted to consent then is when I think this will be hard to prove to a jury that it was a crime. JMHO and I hope I articulated it better for you.

Color the World for Katelyn event - YouTube

I see John showed up at the Color The World Event.
If he hadn't showed there wouldn't have been much to say about him and it wouldn't be quite as entertaining.
But since he came, smiled and ate pizza he must be guilty of something. Maybe hungry? If it weren't for a missing girl I could almost ROFL at some of the comments people make on the FB page.I dont think Ive ever seen a case like this one. Its gonna take more evidence than that to convince me JC committed a crime.

Color the World for Katelyn event - YouTube

I see John showed up at the Color The World Event.
If he hadn't showed there wouldn't have been much to say about him and it wouldn't be quite as entertaining.
But since he came, smiled and ate pizza he must be guilty of something. Maybe hungry? If it weren't for a missing girl I could almost ROFL at some of the comments people make on the FB page.I dont think Ive ever seen a case like this one. Its gonna take more evidence than that to convince me JC committed a crime.

I also uploaded the story from the night before, has a different friend interviewed.
Tye Dye event for Katelyn - YouTube

I wish we could rewind this case and start over without so many accusations made about the friends etc where there was a comfortable level of communication coming out. Something is so amiss with this case. Id still like to know why LE repeatedly have stated they believe she left on her own. I believe they think she left that night on her own free will and then something happened.

I wish we could rewind this case and start over without so many accusations made about the friends etc where there was a comfortable level of communication coming out. Something is so amiss with this case. Id still like to know why LE repeatedly have stated they believe she left on her own. I believe they think she left that night on her own free will and then something happened.

I've only seen where they have said they could not rule out her leaving on her, which made me think they were simply acknowledging the lack of an apparent crime scene. But it could mean that they believe she did leave her apartment under her own power, as you say, and then met up with foul play.

I think it is obvious she did...(meet w/foul play). Not even knowing her, I can't imagine this young woman leaving her dog, her life, her work, her family, etc...not taking anything with her. Where would she go and what would she be doing?

I always thought the left on her own talk was because nothing looked ruffled in the house and, arguably, if someone attacked her something should be off. I am not so sure though especially if it was someone she knew. I can think of situations where no "scene" would have been left behind.

I was excited about the news that a potential suspect had emerged, but I just don't know after reading more. It doesn't feel like a match.

I dont think she left on her own to go away and start a new life. More like she left with someone thinking she would be right back. This has got to be the most frustrating of all cases for me. Maybe because there seems to be absolutely nothing to go on. Im really hoping LE gleaned something from her puter and cell records and are just being very quiet.Watching videos of JC I really cant see him pulling off the perfect crime. Even in Jessica Davis case, they used bleach and everything to clean up the crime scene but I dont think you can get rid of everything. There is usually
something left behind. did LE even fingerprint the doors to see if any fingerprints were there that shouldnt have been? Since they thought she may have just walked away for a new life I really wonder how thorough her apartment was processed for evidence?

So glad to see movement on Katelyn's thread. I just don't know either way whether this guy could be involved with Katelyn's case or not but the possible connection has put Katelyn's name back in the news which is always a good thing. Still hoping & praying answers are found that bring Katelyn home.

Curious if there's been any mention about her bank/credit accounts showing activity since she went missing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname