Penn State Sandusky Trial #12 (GUILTY-post verdict discussion)

Status
Not open for further replies.
It would have had less impact if it came out today, or Thursday or Friday.

I do not see an upside, unless Curley stands up and said, **I was lying in that e-mail. I never talked to Joe.** The problem is, it makes no sense for him to lie in an e-mail to Spanier and Schultz.

I only suggested it because their man, Lubrano, was leaking information on a message board and then sending out a press release a few days later condemning leaks.

The information was going to eventually going to get out. So seize the narrative. Release the damaging info during a holiday week and then scream for the release of all the emails.

Besides, as someone else suggested in this thread, why don't they just not comment? They have no direct knowledge of what happened.

The answer: they need to feel in control

JMO

The information was going to eventually going to get out. So seize the narrative. Release the damaging info during a holiday week and then scream for the release of all the emails.

Besides, as someone else suggested in this thread, why don't they just not comment? They have no direct knowledge of what happened.

The answer: they need to feel in control

Well, they might be trying to minimize the damage. Make it look like the leaks are a smear campaign. What is out may be the worst for the Paterno family.

Somebody tried something similar on behalf of RFG, releasing a secret, but long rumored, letter RFG wrote complaining about Corbett. It got coverage on one TV station, and the text managed to make RFG look bad, at any rate. (That's one of the reasons you don't hear me mentioning it too often.)

Corbett is denying the leaks are coming from the AG's office.

That makes sense. Paterno is not charged with a crime. There is no reason the AG's office would want to weaken his grand jury testimony.

Leaked e-mails have surfaced implicating Penn State officials in a cover-up. They appear to point toward legendary late head coach Joe Paterno. They are emails the AG's office didn't know existed until they were uncovered by investigator Louis Freeh.

Noonan said the AG's office never had these emails -- but Freeh did.

"They hired their own people to go through the computers and found them," he said.

Gov. Tom Corbett confirmed Tuesday that Penn State's Board of Trustees was briefed on the existence of the emails, but he's not happy they've been haphazardly released.

"I don't like leaked information," Corbett said.

http://m.abc27.com/default.aspx?pid=2705&wnfeedurl=http%3a%2f%2fwww.abc27.com%2fstory%2f18945913%2fpolice-comissioner-psu-culture-of-silence-kept-witnesses-silent%3fclienttype%3drssstory

Corbett didn't go into CYA mode. He was actually on the DPW list because of Corbett's investigation.

I don't believe the following statement and I'm tired of reading about him mentioning it.

Prosecutors needed about two years between the first report of child sexual abuse involving Jerry Sandusky and the filing of charges because authorities needed to build an "ironclad case" against him, Gov. Tom Corbett said Monday.
http://triblive.com/home/2092441-74...n-attorney-state-jury-kelly-assistant-charges

IMO, AG Corbett's office stalled in its investigation of Sandusky from the earliest days when Corbett became AG while he collected hundreds of thousands of dollars for his political campaigns from the filthy rich BOC at TSM. Past and present board members of TSM and their businesses or families are reported to have given $640,000 to Corbett’s various campaigns.

There were alternatives to letting Sandusky roam Pennsylvania while hoping he wouldn't rape any more little boys.
http://www.thedailybeast.com/newswe...new-villain-pennsylvania-gov-tom-corbett.html

Big Cat: i just found this and am reading it myself. It clarifies for me why Curley's atty, at least, would want to put the blame on Paterno. Don't know if it explains why the leaks are coming out now. Still reading:

http://www.sbnation.com/ncaa-footba...e-paterno-penn-state-scandal-trial-tim-curley

I really don't think that is too accurate.

First, even if you want to argue that Paterno was all powerful:

1. He did complete his legal duty in reporting, which takes him immediately off the hook, criminally.

2. Formally, Paterno didn't have the authority to order the Three Stooges around. I'm not sure if Curley was a mandatory reporter, but the other two were. Paterno could have told them he'd start coaching (and fundraising) for Pitt, but that wouldn't give them any legal cover.

McQueary did what he was required to do, under the law, so I don't think he would face liability.

My question is, will one of these guys turn?

That possibly could take us back to Gricar. Is there a connection between his disappearance and the Penn State scandal? That could move this entire thing onto a whole new level.

Do we know if Curley and Schultz are represented by different attorneys? I know they released a joint statement over the leaked emails.

Different ones. The Commonwealth is trying their cases as one. Look at the distribution list at end of the most recent court filing. At:

http://www.dauphincounty.org/_files/3416.pdf

CAROLINE ROBERTO is atty for Curley; Farrell is atty for Schultz

I don't believe the following statement and I'm tired of reading about him mentioning it.

Prosecutors needed about two years between the first report of child sexual abuse involving Jerry Sandusky and the filing of charges because authorities needed to build an "ironclad case" against him, Gov. Tom Corbett said Monday.
http://triblive.com/home/2092441-74...n-attorney-state-jury-kelly-assistant-charges

IMO, AG Corbett's office stalled in its investigation of Sandusky from the earliest days when Corbett became AG while he collected hundreds of thousands of dollars for his political campaigns from the filthy rich BOC at TSM. Past and present board members of TSM and their businesses or families are reported to have given $640,000 to Corbett’s various campaigns.

There were alternatives to letting Sandusky roam Pennsylvania while hoping he wouldn't rape any more little boys.
http://www.thedailybeast.com/newswe...new-villain-pennsylvania-gov-tom-corbett.html

IF you're correct that Corbett stalled the case until after he was elected governor, he didn't stall for any reasons related to The Second Mile. He stalled to protect Paterno. Any Republican candidate that is seen as bringing down Joe Paterno and the football program is dead meat in Central PA, which meant he wouldn't have been elected governor.

Now I admit that I know zero about PA politics compared to J.J., and he believes Corbett is in good shape for re-election. Nevertheless, I have an unofficial wager with him that Corbett won't get re-elected based strictly on my familiarity with rabid college football fans and Republican politics.

JMO

IF you're correct that Corbett stalled the case until after he was elected governor, he didn't stall for any reasons related to The Second Mile. He stalled to protect Paterno. Any Republican candidate that is seen as bringing down Joe Paterno and the football program is dead meat in Central PA, which meant he wouldn't have been elected governor.

Now I admit that I know zero about PA politics compared to J.J., and he believes Corbett is in good shape for re-election. Nevertheless, I have an unofficial wager with him that Corbett won't get re-elected based strictly on my familiarity with rabid college football fans and Republican politics.

JMO
I think he also stalled to avoid infuriating TSM's BOC who could have been disparaged and possibly implicated as enablers to Sandusky. Many of the BOC members had been on the board for years.

I went to the link, and while There I noticed that they are advertising a Joe Paterno Memorial Edition to be published on Monday. Wtf, really, still?

:sick:
It's a reprint. It's about $4.00 and dropping on Ebay and Amazon.

JMO

I think it would have hurt him in 2010 for governor, and that could be part of the reason. That said, let's remember how difficult it has been to find victims. Two never came forward (and I'll agree that perhaps they couldn't), but two that did come forward came in after the initial indictment.

Corbett was also scoring big points prosecuting "Bonusgate" and was focusing on that. He directed the resources at that high profile case.

And yes, I think Corbett will be re-elected and might end up in the Senate one day.

For the record: I contributed to Ridge (1994, 1998), Fisher (2002), and Swann (2006) for PA Governor; I have never contributed to a Democrat for that post. Note the name of the candidate missing from that list.

If 2001 had been reported to DPW, how much damage to Penn State/Penn State football would this have done? Sandusky was a former coach. 1998 had been reported to DPW and LE.

Big Cat: i just found this and am reading it myself. It clarifies for me why Curley's atty, at least, would want to put the blame on Paterno. Don't know if it explains why the leaks are coming out now. Still reading:

http://www.sbnation.com/ncaa-footba...e-paterno-penn-state-scandal-trial-tim-curley

That article is ludicrous. First of all, you have to understand that a sizable percentage of people in PA thought elderly JoePa was senile and wanted him to retire from coaching for at least a decade. (You don't need to shoot the messenger for explaining the public's sentiment in PA. TIA)

Curley, Spanier and Shultz aren’t going to be able to convince anyone but cretons, that JoePa was running the university and therefore, they (Three Stooges) didn’t violate PA’s Failure to Report Law and should be immune from civil liability. Most people didn't think elderly JoePa was actually still running the football program; most considered him to be more of a "grandpa" mascot.

Second, it's unknown whether PSU officials and McQueary were legally mandated reporters. Bev Mackereth of Pennsylvania's Office of Children, Youth and Families declined to comment on whether that would cover the Penn State officials embroiled in the scandal.
"The interpretation of who is and isn't (a mandated reporter) really belongs in the court," she said.
http://articles.chicagotribune.com/...1_report-abuse-team-showers-grand-jury-report

Bev Mackereth is the Director of the York County Department of Human Services. She served eight years as the Pennsylvania State Representative for the 196th District.

Well, I think there is a problem here. Corbett became AG in January 2005. The report was sent to him in Jan-Feb 2009. I don't see how you could claim that this should have been investigated "from the earliest days."

Second, we do know that after the indictment, others not found came forward. They had one victim, and not a particularly strong case, in 2009. There were witnesses to Sandusky's unusual behavior, but unusual does not equate with illegal.

Third, $640,000 wasn't even a tenth of what of what he raised. Corbett raised at least $24,000,000. This is less than 3% of what he raised.

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2010/10/pennsylvania_gubernatorial_can_7.html

I'm also not sure why there should be any focus on previous TSM directors.

Fourth, one point this article made was that Corbett should have used the 1998 report. He didn't know about it until late 2010. The DA who referred the case, Madeira, didn't know about it.

Now, all that said, I think that there some reasons why Corbett didn't move on this are not ideal. I don't think he wanted to upset Paterno fans and he was too focused on Bonusgate.

Well, I think there is a problem here. Corbett became AG in January 2005. The report was sent to him in Jan-Feb 2009. I don't see how you could claim that this should have been investigated "from the earliest days."

Second, we do know that after the indictment, others not found came forward. They had one victim, and not a particularly strong case, in 2009. There were witnesses to Sandusky's unusual behavior, but unusual does not equate with illegal.

Third, $640,000 wasn't even a tenth of what of what he raised. Corbett raised at least $24,000,000. This is less than 3% of what he raised.

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2010/10/pennsylvania_gubernatorial_can_7.html

I'm also not sure why there should be any focus on previous TSM directors.

Fourth, one point this article made was that Corbett should have used the 1998 report. He didn't know about it until late 2010. The DA who referred the case, Madeira, didn't know about it.

Now, all that said, I think that there some reasons why Corbett didn't move on this are not ideal. I don't think he wanted to upset Paterno fans and he was too focused on Bonusgate.

Before Gricar disappeared in 2005, AG Corbett had worked with him on a huge narcotics case. Corbett knew Gricar personally and knew him at least from 1998 (see below link). After Gricar disappeared, AG Corbett would have been very interested to know info surrounding Gricar's disappearance. AG Corbett would have been informed from detectives about various things r/t missing DA Gricar's life and one of those would have been that Gricar had reviewed an allegation that "famous" Sandusky was a pedophile. Another thing that Corbett would have learned from detectives in 2005 was that Gricar didn’t prosecute Sandusky. Corbett may/may not have read the 1998 report, but he heard about Sandusky from detectives investigation Gricar's disappearance. (mo link, just common sense)

Gricar and Corbett had issues in 1998 which would have also led Corbett to have an interest in Gricar disappearance (leading to knowledge in 2005 of Sandusky's pedophilia).
http://www.wjactv.com/videos/news/sandusky-scandal-sheds-new-light-on-link-between/vFXfR/

$640,000 may be small change in relation to Corbett's total campaign donations, but angering the Sheetz family, numerous pro athlete millionaires, and other extremely wealthy PA individuals that served on the TSM's BOC would be a politically fatal mistake. Do you remember the allegations about the TSM board members which occurred on this forum for weeks? (none from me) The generous benefactors of TSM somehow escaped being implicated as Sandusky enablers by the general public.

Corbett, a politically savvy man, knew that prosecuting Jerry could bring investigations upon TSM, its administration, and its wealthy BOC members. (This occurred with the Milton Hershey School pedophile investigations occurring around the same time.) With an investigation, the top admins, and its generous BOC could have their reputations smeared even if illegal behavior was not identified. Angry philanthropists are dangerous political enemies and a savvy man with higher political aspirations would want to avoid this. Yes, Bonusgate was his main platform, but I think there were personal aspiration reasons why Corbett didn't move on Sandusky.

Before Gricar disappeared in 2005, AG Corbett had worked with him on a huge narcotics case.

Ah, no. RFG was at a press conference for the multicounty case, along with other DA's in the area. Neither he nor the Centre county DA's Office worked on the case or had any involvement with it.

Corbett knew Gricar personally and knew him at least from 1998 (see below link).

Ah, Corbett was a defense attorney at the time representing a client. That was there relationship.

After Gricar disappeared, AG Corbett would have been very interested to know info surrounding Gricar's disappearance. AG Corbett would have been informed from detectives about various things r/t missing DA Gricar's life and one of those would have been that Gricar had reviewed an allegation that "famous" Sandusky was a pedophile.

Under PA law, the only way that the AG can become involved is if the local DA has a conflict of interest or claims his office lacks the resources. Two DA's, of different parties, declined to claim either. I declined to cite a conflict of interest until Gricar's involvement in the Sandusky case was revealed.

In 2009 and until late 2010, nobody at the AG's office knew about the 1998 incident. Madeira, the DA at the time did not know when he sent the case out. There were no records of Sandusky in the DA's Office.

Gricar and Corbett had issues in 1998 which would have also led Corbett to have an interest in Gricar disappearance (leading to knowledge in 2005 of Sandusky's pedophilia).
http://www.wjactv.com/videos/news/sandusky-scandal-sheds-new-light-on-link-between/vFXfR/

The issue was that Gricar didn't like Corbett, no longer a prosecutor, representing a client as a defense attorney. Corbett was holding a position, Chair of the PA Commission on Crime and Delinquency (PCCD), that doled out federal funds to police, prosecutors, and public defenders. It didn't prosecute or investigate and Corbett had one vote, out of several dozen people. The PCCD meets for several hours twice a year.

The issue was that Gricar lost the case, well, the charges were reduced, and wanted to whine about it. He did within a few weeks of not prosecuting Sandusky. He did more to complain about Corbett, who was a defense attorney, than he did to prosecute Sandusky.

(Remember me saying it made Gricar look bad.)

$640,000 may be small change in relation to Corbett's total campaign donations, but angering the Sheetz family, numerous pro athlete millionaires, and other extremely wealthy PA individuals that served on the TSM's BOC would be a politically fatal mistake. Do you remember the allegations about the TSM board members which occurred on this forum for weeks? (none from me) The generous benefactors of TSM somehow escaped being implicated as Sandusky enablers by the general public.

First, what makes you think that any of the TSM board members had any idea what Sandusky was doing? They were not involved in the day to day running of the group. The executive director was, but not the board as a whole.

Second, going after Paterno in 2010 might have been a political minus for Corbett, but not TSM. They never had the public profile of Penn State or Paterno. I'd also question why these members would not be just as appalled at Sandusky's actions as everyone else was.

Third, until late 2010, none of the other victims were known. The Centre County DA's Office didn't have the records of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aztraea