LA - ***ARREST*** Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette, 19 May 2012 #35

Status
Not open for further replies.
:chicken:

I am tired tonight and not really with it mentally, so I don't have the tools to do this on the spot.... but I have been thinking...

It might be a thought-provoking exercise to try to run this whole thing in reverse and find ways that BSL's story could be plausible - both about the allegedly stolen truck and the alleged assault at the gas station.

It's not clear to me that LE has been able to tie BSL himself to the truck's travels, and may be going off OnStar records for the truck alone. If they've tracked his phone to these places, it's one thing, but I'd like to know if they have tracked the TRUCK, or BSL himself. I'd like to explore the possibility that someone else may have used the truck during various parts of its travels - maybe a friend/accomplice.

I have some questions as to what is fact and what is rumor. A lot of it may have been verified but I missed it, as I have been very busy for the last week:

1. Do we have verified knowledge that BSL himself rented a car in Spring, TX? And that he himself returned it to Lafayette? Or was this another Brandon Lavergne? I saw where a poster here gave that info, but has LE said anything about a car rental at all?

2. Has the location of the burned truck been pinpointed, or was it just "somewhere in the forest? On a road? I've been confused in that the truck in Laporte(?) seems to be mixed up in this - as far as being found "under an overpass," etc.

3. He seems to have been in lots of places in a short time. Is there any info as to his work schedule that might verify which places he might have legitimately been for work, and when?

4. If someone wanted to frame someone for Mickey's disappearance, BSL seems to be a perfect candidate. I'm wondering if anyone ever borrowed his truck? Did BSL truly work offshore? If so, exactly when, and where did he leave his truck while offshore? We probably have no way of knowing this.

5. What is the deal with his GPS "not working?" Did he tell the Jeff Parish cops it was broken or what?

6. Could the "assault" have actually happened as he says? There are some pretty wild/violent young men in NOLA. And if BSL was drunk maybe something happened that escalated. So let's think if the "assault" on BSL at a gas station by a strange man is plausible:

A. Several wounds - none life-threatening. Indicates maybe a small blade.
B. How did his attacker get in so many wounds on him? Wouldn't he try to run away from the blade? How would he be cut multiple times unless it happened in a confined area or maybe he was chased. Wouldn't he have run to his truck if he were being attacked..... given that he's ex-military and can't own guns - I would think it very possible he had a knife in his truck for self-defense.
C. If the blade indeed was small, would an attacker really go after a big guy like BSL with it? After all, for all the attacker knew, BSL could have had a concealed firearm. And if the blade was big, how did he get cut multiple times and not suffer a deep wound?

7. Do we have a VERIFIED catalogue of his wounds??? Is the wound to his back VERIFIED? That wound is the most interesting to me. Could have been sustained turning his back to jump back in his truck at the gas station. Or....could have been done by Mickey if she had managed to get a hand free and she were on her back - could have been an attempted kidney shot.

These last things make me go hmmmm.... it would seem more likely that those wounds would have come from Mickey who surprised him with a small blade, instead of a young man with gold teeth attacking him in the open. Yet.... we are seeing a lot of bizarre behavior among young violent youth, and if the young "attacker" were high on something, anything is possible.

Well, I know I'm all over the place and my thoughts are disorganized.

But can anyone please help sort out some of what above is FACT and what is RUMOR?

TIA
:dunno:

"The same day the bicycle was found, the white Chevrolet Z-71pickup now believed to have been used in the crime, was reported stolen in Montgomery County, Texas by the truck’s owner, a 33-year-old registered sex offender named Brandon Scott Lavergne, of Lawtell, Louisiana. At the time, Texas authorities had no reason to suspect anything sinister. On May 31, the truck was found burned in San Jacinto County."

Quote from this article posted just up thread...
http://montgomerycountypolicereporter.com/?p=47925

Yeah! :what: In that order!
Right AFTER he heard the news!
He reported a stolen truck!

Too bad Mickey sent him to the ER or he might have said it was stolen on May 18th!

God love that girl! :woohoo:

I am not convinced that BSL has other victims out there somewhere. I think he may have held his evil urges in check for the past 2 years. But when he saw Mickey riding by, he was already trolling for a woman to try and pick up, and he went for it, spontaneously, clumsily.

BBM

BLS was released from prison in 2008.

Yeah! :what: In that order!
Right AFTER he heard the news!
He reported a stolen truck!

Too bad Mickey sent him to the ER or he might have said it was stolen on May 18th!

God love that girl! :woohoo:

The link I posted above about 5 posts says the truck was reported stolen on 5/31-not 5/26, and it is a new article.

I am tired tonight and not really with it mentally, so I don't have the tools to do this on the spot.... but I have been thinking...

It might be a thought-provoking exercise to try to run this whole thing in reverse and find ways that BSL's story could be plausible - both about the allegedly stolen truck and the alleged assault at the gas station.

It's not clear to me that LE has been able to tie BSL himself to the truck's travels, and may be going off OnStar records for the truck alone. If they've tracked his phone to these places, it's one thing, but I'd like to know if they have tracked the TRUCK, or BSL himself. I'd like to explore the possibility that someone else may have used the truck during various parts of its travels - maybe a friend/accomplice.

I have some questions as to what is fact and what is rumor. A lot of it may have been verified but I missed it, as I have been very busy for the last week:

1. Do we have verified knowledge that BSL himself rented a car in Spring, TX? And that he himself returned it to Lafayette? Or was this another Brandon Lavergne? I saw where a poster here gave that info, but has LE said anything about a car rental at all?

2. Has the location of the burned truck been pinpointed, or was it just "somewhere in the forest? On a road? I've been confused in that the truck in Laporte(?) seems to be mixed up in this - as far as being found "under an overpass," etc.

3. He seems to have been in lots of places in a short time. Is there any info as to his work schedule that might verify which places he might have legitimately been for work, and when?

4. If someone wanted to frame someone for Mickey's disappearance, BSL seems to be a perfect candidate. I'm wondering if anyone ever borrowed his truck? Did BSL truly work offshore? If so, exactly when, and where did he leave his truck while offshore? We probably have no way of knowing this.

5. What is the deal with his GPS "not working?" Did he tell the Jeff Parish cops it was broken or what?

6. Could the "assault" have actually happened as he says? There are some pretty wild/violent young men in NOLA. And if BSL was drunk maybe something happened that escalated. So let's think if the "assault" on BSL at a gas station by a strange man is plausible:

B. How did his attacker get in so many wounds on him? Wouldn't he try to run away from the blade? How would he be cut multiple times unless it happened in a confined area or maybe he was chased. Wouldn't he have run to his truck if he were being attacked..... given that he's ex-military and can't own guns - I would think it very possible he had a knife in his truck for self-defense.
C. If the blade indeed was small, would an attacker really go after a big guy like BSL with it? After all, for all the attacker knew, BSL could have had a concealed firearm. And if the blade was big, how did he get cut multiple times and not suffer a deep wound?

7. Do we have a VERIFIED catalogue of his wounds??? Is the wound to his back VERIFIED? That wound is the most interesting to me. Could have been sustained turning his back to jump back in his truck at the gas station. Or....could have been done by Mickey if she had managed to get a hand free and she were on her back - could have been an attempted kidney shot.

These last things make me go hmmmm.... it would seem more likely that those wounds would have come from Mickey who surprised him with a small blade, instead of a young man with gold teeth attacking him in the open. Yet.... we are seeing a lot of bizarre behavior among young violent youth, and if the young "attacker" were high on something, anything is possible.

But can anyone please help sort out some of what above is FACT and what is RUMOR?

TIA

LE is not releasing a lot of this stuff...I think they said he is linked to WB and that they know how he got back from Spring. They have no need to tell the public as yet about pings or video. But I do not think he would be charged with murder based on his vehicle possibly being involved; they must have some links to him, personally. JMO

This is a long shot, but I've been curious about any possible connection between Brandon Scott Lavergne and the unsolved murder of Jessica Hawk in New Orleans. Here's a bit of background for anyone not familiar with the case:

http://www.bestofneworleans.com/gambit/the-murder-of-jessica-hawk/Content?oid=1350151

As per his listing on the Louisiana sex offender registry, Lavergne was released from prison on Saturday, August 9th, 2008. Hawk's body was discovered in her home early on Monday, August 11th. Police have stated that they believe Hawk was murdered either Friday night or some time on Saturday.

Given the time frame, it's hard to imagine that Lavergne went straight from prison to go murder someone within hours. Still, I'm willing to entertain the thought.

Hawk was stabbed to death, and while Mickey Shunick's cause of death is obviously unknown for now, we do know that Lavergne received significant knife wounds. A suspicious person was seen looking into Hawk's windows before her murder, and we know that Lavergne gained access to his victim's home through a window in his 2000 sexual assault conviction.

According to this blog post, the suspicious person was seen outside Hawk's home on Friday, August 8th, 2008. If Lavergne was in prison until Saturday, August 9th, he couldn't have been the person peeking into her windows. However, the witness to the peeping tom episode is famous around town for being a bit kooky, and it's possible he got the dates mixed up. Or, it's also possible that the release date listed on the sex offender registry is off by a day or two. Like I said, it's a stretch, but I'm willing to imagine.

For reference, here's a sketch of the man seen looking into Hawk's window:

http://rexdingler.blogspot.com/2008/08/wanted-for-questioning-in-death-of.html

The drawing and the image that appears in Lavergne's earlier mugshot aren't entirely dissimilar. This is the particular photo I'm referring to:

http://www.katc.com/news/brandon-scott-lavergne-was-being-monitored/

Any opinions?

I got the goose bumps!

hmm.... 4 years ago...
3103943176a8__1342226232000.png

I think you are right to entertain the thought.
How far is the prison from her home?

Lavergne was released from Avoyelles Correctional Center, which is approximately three hours from New Orleans, but only just over an hour from Lafayette.

I'm not sure how excited Lavergne's family would have been to see him upon his release from prison- understandably, no one has come forward to say they threw him a Get Out of Prison party. Lavergne has expressed some supposed familiarity with New Orleans, though- telling both a hairdresser, and more recently, the police, that he was attacked there on separate occasions.

I wonder if his DNA or blood was on the bike...didn't LE say they had obtained some info from the forensics on the bike?

LE is not releasing a lot of this stuff...I think they said he is linked to WB and that they know how he got back from Spring. They have no need to tell the public as yet about pings or video. But I do not think he would be charged with murder based on his vehicle possibly being involved; they must have some links to him, personally. JMO

I don't think the car rental has been verified. The woman who posted the info has never been back, LE has not reported it and I can't find any articles saying that he rented a car.........

Lavergne was released from Avoyelles Correctional Center, which is approximately three hours from New Orleans, but only just over an hour from Lafayette.

I'm not sure how excited Lavergne's family would have been to see him upon his release from prison- understandably, no one has come forward to say they threw him a Get Out of Prison party. Lavergne has expressed some supposed familiarity with New Orleans, though- telling both a hairdresser, and more recently, the police, that he was attacked there on separate occasions.

He was talking about the same injuries that brought him to Ochsner hospital. Everyone knows about Bourbon St., so him telling the hair dresser he was attacked there is no big deal.
I doubt BSL went straight to NOLA after being released from prison. JMO

The link I posted above about 5 posts says the truck was reported stolen on 5/31-not 5/26, and it is a new article.

Gotcha! It was still after not before! I
don't know what's rumor or real anymore!

His step dad was released form hospital on 5/26?
BSL was supposed to bring him home... didn't show?

maybe left the area after hearing this?

TIA

In and of itself, the truck being stolen could be believeable, but when taken with everything else we know which has been verified, I think any plausibility goes out the window. As to the whole assault story, I know it is often said that fact is stranger than fiction, but I would rate the believability of that story to be somewhere between slim and none, with slim already having left the building. JMO

I don't think the car rental has been verified. The woman who posted the info has never been back, LE has not reported it and I can't find any articles saying that he rented a car.........

I know...I just said that LE said they know how he got back from Spring. So apparently they know he was there.

In and of itself, the truck being stolen could be believeable, but when taken with everything else we know which has been verified, I think any plausibility goes out the window. As to the whole assault story, I know it is often said that fact is stranger than fiction, but I would rate the believability of that story to be somewhere between slim and none, with none already having left the building. JMO

I agree...it all starts with what seems to be his truck seen on video near Mickey. So unless "the real criminal" saw that and decided after the fact , hey, I'll frame someone else I know with a white truck who happens to be a sex offender, and he will conveniently do stupid things like white out his license, etc...yeah, it gets kind of hard to believe he is not the guy...JMO

The supposed 3PM time of the attack comes from Jefferson Parish Sheriff's Department incident report, not Ochsner Medical Center:

http://www.fox8live.com/story/19023...eport-could-be-part-of-missing-students-probe

Uhm...that IS what I said!

In response to another post I replied that even if a nurse made an error, the LE report said 1500-1530 as the time of the crime and they would not have been given access to his medical records. Perhaps you misread my post.

This is a long shot, but I've been curious about any possible connection between Brandon Scott Lavergne and the unsolved murder of Jessica Hawk in New Orleans. Here's a bit of background for anyone not familiar with the case:

http://www.bestofneworleans.com/gambit/the-murder-of-jessica-hawk/Content?oid=1350151

As per his listing on the Louisiana sex offender registry, Lavergne was released from prison on Saturday, August 9th, 2008. Hawk's body was discovered in her home early on Monday, August 11th. Police have stated that they believe Hawk was murdered either Friday night or some time on Saturday.

Given the time frame, it's hard to imagine that Lavergne went straight from prison to go murder someone within hours. Still, I'm willing to entertain the thought.

Hawk was stabbed to death, and while Mickey Shunick's cause of death is obviously unknown for now, we do know that Lavergne received significant knife wounds. A suspicious person was seen looking into Hawk's windows before her murder, and we know that Lavergne gained access to his victim's home through a window in his 2000 sexual assault conviction.

According to this blog post, the suspicious person was seen outside Hawk's home on Friday, August 8th, 2008. If Lavergne was in prison until Saturday, August 9th, he couldn't have been the person peeking into her windows. However, the witness to the peeping tom episode is famous around town for being a bit kooky, and it's possible he got the dates mixed up. Or, it's also possible that the release date listed on the sex offender registry is off by a day or two. Like I said, it's a stretch, but I'm willing to imagine.

For reference, here's a sketch of the man seen looking into Hawk's window:

http://rexdingler.blogspot.com/2008/08/wanted-for-questioning-in-death-of.html

The drawing and the image that appears in Lavergne's earlier mugshot aren't entirely dissimilar. This is the particular photo I'm referring to:

http://www.katc.com/news/brandon-scott-lavergne-was-being-monitored/

Any opinions?

I vote yes.

Thank you for posting that. I found it interesting that LE felt he was "uncooperative" and that the more they asked, the less he said.

Really- why should one be "uncooperative" if they are merely a victim? I think he was in distress that the hospital even called LE, and then had to make up that story on the fly...I don't think the jersey, or the # he chose for it, mean anything and he probably said "white guy" because far too many people blame the anonymous "black guy" for crimes. Maybe he thought it sounded more believable. Who the H knows what goes through these minds.

The stabbing and reporting a stolen vehicle was 12 days apart.
Someone "pinning" this on him would wait 12 days to steal his truck after stabbing him? In broad daylight I might add...

It would be easier for Mickey to wait until they were on the bridge headed to WB a very opportune time to stab a man while driving... Most of the wounds sound defensive IMO... he'd be hard to overcome at any other time.

We can see the right stab wound in the neck... I'm betting they were ALL on his right except the wound on his hand was the left, because mickey was to his right...

ehh... maybe not! she could have been behind him...
At any rate what could he do if she began to stab him on the bridge??? STOP??? WHERE??? No shoulder... hmmm... maybe a passerby did see something!
I don't have links handy just opinions... sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member