LA - ***ARREST*** Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette, 19 May 2012 #35

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay I've officially joined the land of the living.

I'm going to work on the timeline as soon as I get my kids tucked in.

AFAIK, we've got him at the hospital, the buying of his new truck ... and what else to add? Did we get a definitive answer on when he reported his truck stolen? The 26th or the 31st? Or is that still up in the air?

Megsy, Thanks for the timeline... Awesome.

**Truck reported stolen - May 26th or the 31st? :waitasec: Could be stolen & found same day. Unsure. The dates are still confusing to me.

What about adding locations of a few entries?
June 3rd - Attended church in Crowley, La
June 20th - Haircut in Crowley, La , told hairdresser supposedly going offshore the next day for 2 weeks.

Great job.:tyou:

Prayers for Mickey :angel: to come home today.

:twocents: Finally caught up again, yeaaa.
My first comment is that I wholeheartedly agree we should refocus on the facts we have/know from LE & MSM. While brainstorming is helpful, it seems to have muddyed the water in this case. The timeline is awesome and helpful - thanks for that item.

My opinion... this case had developed much more than so many of the missing cases (Kelli, Holly, etc.) in that there IS an arrest and several "questionable activities" related to the person arrested.

My opinion.... they have got their man and have a pretty clear story to present to the GJ next week that supports their charges. I believe I read in the news reports that LE said they are getting many new tips and are talking with people that know him. I believe they have electronic evidence (ex. cams, phone, gps, etc.) I believe they have other hard evidence linking him to MS.
His documented "story" just does not add up - the whole tale of his attact at gas station and then not either going inside the station/calling cops there and then supposedly not presenting to ER for 5+ hours. Who was the supposed N.O. friend he was visiting and why not call that person for help.

The most troubling aspect is that MS has not been located. I think they have a case/evidence that would be successfully prosecuted without her. The saddest part of this is for her family & friends.

I believe this case (unlike so many similar cases that seem "stalled") will clearly unfold in the coming days. Not sure if he will confess. They did take the DP off the table for Hilton in GA and he sung on location of Meredith Emerson's body; fortunately FL gave him DP for Dunlap.

Let's try to go with verified facts as close as possible from this point. :please:
What (if anything) do we know about TX that has been verified?
Thanks for reading my rambling post.

Hey Justy!!! I completely agree with everything you said here! I am in awe of the way the local LE and everyone involved with this case has handled things...so different than many other cases. I also like the way the WS posters on this case work together and are respectful of the difference between facts and rumors...and each other.

Please do not talk about rumors or what is being posted on other forums. :tos:

To follow on my earlier comment about this possibly starting as an accident:

Put it this way - say BSL was drunk and another non-RSO driver was drunk.

I would give a higher probability that a driver with a clean record might fess up to an accident.

BSL spent a LONG time in prison - and would have been highly motivated not to go back for vehicular manslaughter. Had he truly hit her as an accident - but been drunk - I'm betting he would have done at least a couple years in prison, and a couple years is a long time for anyone - especially for someone who has lost most of his 20s in prison and doesn't want to go back.

Just saying that we have to keep in mind that there's chance that this is a manslaughter case gone bad.

Please do not talk about rumors or what is being posted on other forums. :tos:

Are we allowed to make a list of what is rumor and what is fact? We have to have some way to separate them, and so far it has been impossible to prevent the posting of rumors here.

Would seem helpful to me to sort them out. It's becoming incredibly hard for me to sleuth here without trying to sort out rumor from fact, and so a list seemed very helpful to me.

Have things to do and so not going to try anymore right now.

:banghead:

My point is that it's pure conjecture that he was "trolling" for victims. LE has said something like he was "trolling," but they really haven't given good evidence. Sometimes drunk people drive all over the place, changing their mind about what to do next/where to go. He very well could have been upset with what was transpiring with his GF's family - and got drunk in Lafayette. To keep an open mind, I have to, as "backwoods" has also said, keep open the possibility that he was blitzed and hit her by mistake. After all, the bump happened at closing time for the bars.

Now what he did later is a different story. But I do see the possibility that this started as an accident - then he realized that it was unacceptable to him to go back through the justice system - and then his actions proceeded from there.

There has been no reports of him being drunk. It would be reasonable to conclude that he wasn't drinking, imo.

The LE statement of trolling is prolly backed up by many security photos showing him circling several blocks. LE has not released all info to the public.

Imo, the bump & grab was intentional due to the minor damage to the bike and the ensuing events afterwards.

There has been no reports of him being drunk. It would be reasonable to conclude that he wasn't drinking, imo.

The LE statement of trolling is prolly backed up by many security photos showing him circling several blocks. LE has not released all info to the public.

Imo, the bump & grab was intentional due to the minor damage to the bike and the ensuing events afterwards.

There are no reports of his not being drunk, either, and due to the mess with his GF's family, and due to the time of her disappearance on a Friday night, I refuse to rule it out.

I would give a higher probability that a driver with a clean record might fess up to an accident.

BSL spent a LONG time in prison - and would have been highly motivated not to go back for vehicular manslaughter. Had he truly hit her as an accident - but been drunk - I'm betting he would have done at least a couple years in prison, and a couple years is a long time for anyone - especially for someone who has lost most of his 20s in prison and doesn't want to go back.

Just saying that we have to keep in mind that there's chance that this is a manslaughter case gone bad.

vehicular manslaughter?

'A deceased victim can not fight back, leaving documented evidence of injuries requiring medical treatment'..

vehicular manslaughter?

'A deceased victim can not fight back, leaving documented evidence of injuries requiring medical treatment'..

I was speaking from BSL's perspective after he hit her.

I meant it may have STARTED as vehicular manslaughter in his mind - if she were badly injured.... or at least injuring someone by accidentally running them down.

His actions may not have been preplanned - yet after he hit her, then he did what he did over his fear of returning to prison.

That is a "fact" that keeps changing.

LE says it was just like his old one... yet I keep seeing "silver truck" popping up.

Either white or silver, but I can't tell, due to the level of rumors here.

Chicken, he did get another truck like his old one. It was a Silverado and I believe that is where the confusion comes in.

Oh yeah, thanks, and he possibly had Onstar while committing the crime? That one should be on the top of the list if true!

What I find interesting about the Onstar/GPS. Yesterday I was reading an article regarding the missing Millionaire in Miami whose boat washed ashore etc. Through GPS on the boat itself that they have come close to determining that he got on to another boat. Apparently, the GPS records speed, direction etc on boats. They even came to a conclusion that he hit some waves at a high rate of speed. I am terrible at posting links, but it was a good read. I don't know if someone else can post it.

But, I was hoping to do some research tomorrow since I am off to see if it would be similar to Onstar or if boats have a different GPS that makes it all possible. If it is similar, then quite possibly LE has much more information of his whereabouts.

At this point, I think connecting the dots and finding MS are the most important parts. I feel that LE has something that will take care of BSL. He was all over the map within a 2/3 hours driving distance for so many days its hard to wrap my head around it. Not to mention we don't have confirmation exactly when he was offshore until the 20th of June if I am reading the articles correctly. But so far that is only been said by the hairdresser?

Kelly

I agree, in my opinion he had just left a bar and accidentally hit her. He didn't want to return to jail for vehicular manslughter. There were no reportings of him riding around looking for his next victim for the four years he was out of jail, so that's why I'm leaning towards an accident.

I was very active at the beginning of this case here but then sort of just been lurking after the bickering back and forth and "Mickey is under the truck" phase. Couldn't listen anymore.

At any rate, like ChickenFried said, I also want to believe that this was him hitting her but then feared to go back to prison so he went about eliminating everything, including Mickey sadly. I have two problems with this theory though:

He went to GREAT lengths to destroy his old truck. Why not report it stolen immediately and why the need to drive it to Texas, there is much more change he is gonna be on camera somewhere or caught.

He burned the truck. If the truck had body damage from an accident, the burning wouldn't completely erase that. Dents etc would still be there. I think there was blood or other evidence of her being in that truck that he wanted erased, not dents. I guess they know this by now anyway because I'm assuming they've got the truck.

Let's look at it this way. If he hit her by accident and was afraid of going back to prison, go immediately and report the truck stolen. Hell, use the same story he gave in New Orleans, carjacked or whatever. Who would know? And he wasn't afraid of being caught on camera driving it because if that was the case, the camera would also catch a kidnapping, so he didn't think he was on camera.

Why did he buy the same kind of truck, so neighbors or so wouldn't notice?

And what's with the mugging story? If he got his wallet stolen, then surely he didn't have time to get a new license to go to the RSO check in.

Things that make me go 'hmmm.' Just my thoughts.

If he had hit her in such a way to cause her to die, i.e. an accident, I still think there would have been a crime scene, especially if he was drunk. And this is JMO, not a fact. Also, burning his truck is an extreme measure (if he did) to cover up an accident. And why wait until 5/31 to to do it? I don't think his truck was very damaged, since he did not do it at once. I think it was a matter of evidence inside the truck. JMO JMO

Are we allowed to make a list of what is rumor and what is fact? We have to have some way to separate them, and so far it has been impossible to prevent the posting of rumors here.

Would seem helpful to me to sort them out. It's becoming incredibly hard for me to sleuth here without trying to sort out rumor from fact, and so a list seemed very helpful to me.

Have things to do and so not going to try anymore right now.

:banghead:

We have the timeline and media thread for facts. As for listing rumors that is the same as discussing them or giving them legs to run on. No, we cannot list rumors.

I can still entertain a notion that this was not, at least originally, a sex offender type of crime.

It's not totally unthinkable to me that BSL might have hit Mickey accidentally, panicked and grabbed her up because of fears of going back to prison, further alienating his gf's family, losing any ground he felt he'd made in attaining a "normal" life. (Not a good thing to do, of course, but still not the same as stalking a victim.)

I think he could have planned to hold her, alive, while he thought things out. But maybe she got a chance to attack him (because of course she would not be wanting to be held captive, whatever his motivation) and he killed her then -- or maybe she died of her original injuries. Or maybe she escaped from him at some point and he pursued, caught up, there was a struggle and he was injured then.

All the things he appears to have done to "cover" could still have seemed necessary steps to him. If he made a panicked decision to seize her in these circumstances, I think there would be no turning back for him later.

It was asked at the press conference what the motive was. Very good answer was THAT HE IS A SEX OFFENDER! End of story.

9 days after Lafayette woman's disappearance, suspect met with sex detectives

http://www.thetowntalk.com/article/20120714/NEWS01/120714001

LAFAYETTE -- Nine days after the disappearance of a Lafayette woman, the 33-year-old convicted sex abuser who has been charged with kidnapping and killing her went to the St. Landry Parish Sheriff's Office to update his offender status.

"He was in good standing with us," Lt. Megan Vizena, a spokeswoman for the St. Landry Parish Sheriff's Office, said by phone Thursday. "Mr. Lavergne was required to come in every three months." (click link to continue)

Vizena said one of the detectives interviewed Lavergne on May 28, asking him questions about his vehicles, employment and residence. During the interviews, Vizena said, *detectives check a sex offender's driver's license to ensure it hasn't been modified in addition to checking for all vehicles registered with the Louisiana Office of Motor Vehicles and calling a sex offender's employer to verify employment.

*bolded by moi

...betcha he wore a shirt with a high collar that day...

What I find interesting about the Onstar/GPS. Yesterday I was reading an article regarding the missing Millionaire in Miami whose boat washed ashore etc. Through GPS on the boat itself that they have come close to determining that he got on to another boat. Apparently, the GPS records speed, direction etc on boats. They even came to a conclusion that he hit some waves at a high rate of speed. I am terrible at posting links, but it was a good read. I don't know if someone else can post it.

But, I was hoping to do some research tomorrow since I am off to see if it would be similar to Onstar or if boats have a different GPS that makes it all possible. If it is similar, then quite possibly LE has much more information of his whereabouts.

At this point, I think connecting the dots and finding MS are the most important parts. I feel that LE has something that will take care of BSL. He was all over the map within a 2/3 hours driving distance for so many days its hard to wrap my head around it. Not to mention we don't have confirmation exactly when he was offshore until the 20th of June if I am reading the articles correctly. But so far that is only been said by the hairdresser?

Kelly

That is interesting, and yes Onstar can tell what speed one was going, where one stopped, and for how long, as far as I know.

I personally think that BSL took her to some place between Lafayette and Whiskey Bay... perhaps he knocked her out with the hit to the bike. With a mild hit to the head, she might have been out for up to 20-30 minutes. I think he drove as quickly as he could while she was out (and not kicking and screaming) to some remote location outdoors where he could do what he wanted to do without alerting anyone. He left her where ever he took her first. I think it is probably somewhere between Lafayette and Whiskey Bay. I doubt he took a major interstate highway with a live girl in his truck, and a bike in the back. I think he took whatever backroads there might be from the abduction site to where the bike was found, and left MS somewhere in between. JMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname