LA - ***ARREST*** Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette, 19 May 2012 #37

Status
Not open for further replies.
A basic court question:

Do the two 1st-degree murder indictments mean that there will be two separate trials?

If so, which one would come first, or would they be simultaneous?

A basic court question:

Do the two 1st-degree murder indictments mean that there will be two separate trials?

I'd think they'd try him for Pate first to establish pattern.

Not sure that this could be related IMO

Acadiana Parishes
Date: June 29, 1999
Publication: The Advocate (Baton Rouge, La.)
Page: X

4 B
Crash kills 1, injures 1

CROWLEY - The driver of a pickup truck died and a passenger was severely injured after the vehicle drifted off Interstate 10 and struck a tree, Louisiana State Police said.

Driver [JMC male name redacted], 43, , and AB [female name redacted], 34, both of the same address were headed east on I-10 shortly after 1 a.m. Monday [June 28, 1999] when their vehicle drove off the road for unknown reasons, State Police said. Both were taken to American Legion Hospital in Crowley,...
Click here for complete article ($2.95)

http://nl.newsbank.com/nl-search/we/Archives?p_action=list&p_topdoc=51

According to the link provided previously

http://www.melissadata.com/Lookups/CountyAccidents.asp?Year=1999&Fips=22001
there was only one fatal car accident in June of 1999, and the story I linked above is the story of that accident.
Victims from Maurice.

It says only the two were in the pick up truck. Could this be the accident LT?

I don't think that's it. I-10 is about 20 miles from the site LP was found. Also says victims are from Maurice, but LT said the male who died was BSL's roommate and he didn't live in Maurice.

kjnmom, #1 - guess the long winded PM feature was activated..LOL, I'll have to refer #1 to someone who knows...

#2 - retired fire
- very understanding family - 2 children/6 grandchildren
- diet of gourmet microwavable Campbells Soup(recipe available)
- bank/bill pay on line
- one night a week attend WS anonymous meeting..

kjn, seriously, many of the regulars on WS are heavily involved in missing persons cases because they were touched by a victim at one point in their lives, imo. The silent epidemic of missing/murdered persons is continuous and has no lulls..

The WS regular members come from all walks of life; attorneys, LEOs, criminologists, psychologists, advocates, mappers, searchers, PIs, profilers, researchers, nurses, media/journalists/pundits, authors, forensic artists, homemakers, etc., etc..

Awareness is the key in missing/murdered persons investigations and the victims have no voice..

Thomas Jefferson - "All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.

'I believe that every act of homicide causes a slight unbalancing in the world, and that it diminishes life’s universal equation. In the interest of justice, it is imperative that someone try to right that imbalance.

But the task of fighting evil can take a terrible toll on the people who are charged with it. It can cost them their families, their equilibrium, their capacity for joy'...
Author/FBI BAU Roger L. Depue

Thank you! Y'all are wonderful!!!

So in light of what we know so far, BSL likes to cover the tracks of his murders with other *accidents*. He used a car crash the night of Lisa Pate's murder and he used a mugging *incident* at a gas station, hours after Mickey's murder? I'm using a question mark because I still hate to think of her being dead :(

I'm wondering how many other *accidents* or *incidents* or *fires* he has used over the years to cover up other murders?

Also, I'm no psychologist, but from what we know about his unhappy childhood, I'm thinking that Brandon's feelings of rejection, especially from his birth mother, made him seek out and murder women who symbolized his mother in his twisted, tortured mind. :twocents:

A basic court question:

2 trials and whichever case is stronger-not simultaneously.

jmho of course.

Has anyone noticed the clarity of the satallite images of Church Point on Google Maps?

I don't think that's it. I-10 is about 20 miles from the site LP was found. Also says victims are from Maurice, but LT said the male who died was BSL's roommate and he didn't live in Maurice.

Katie78, I viewed your topix links, and found it interesting that the person in the rumors on the first of your links has the same last name as the female in the accident I linked.
It is a common last name in that area it seems, though.

As far as the accident, I was responding to the others who thought that accident was the one LT mentioned. That and the fact that it was the only fatal car accident in the area in June, 1999 is what caused me to look it up. However, yes, the couple (male 43, woman 34) ran off the road and hit a tree, no mention of car rolling either. I am confident a fatal accident involving a car flipping in the area [Acadia Parish?] would be on record...so
I am still looking

ETA a quick people search shows that the guy rumored in your links, Katie78 is related to the woman in the car accident that I linked from June 28, 1999.

If they try the two murder cases separately - will allow mention of the first be allowed at second? Often this is not allowed.

If mention of the first case is not allowed, then jurors who say they read about first might be ruled out - making things difficult.

If the they try the two murder cases separately, will the allow mention of the first at the second? Often this is not allowed.
If mention of the first case is not allowed, then juror who say they read about it might be ruled out - making things difficult.

So... just theoretical....

If an Acadia Parish potential juror for the Pate trial has followed the Mickey Shunick case, that juror may not be seated?

With as much publicity as the Shunick case has generated, it may be hard to seat jurors for Pate.

I'm wondering if they would try him first for the case for which they had stronger evidence?

I think they've got something that they're not telling us (surprise!), like maybe some fingerprints on those boards. Maybe he was building something at the time where he used that type (size, dimension) of board. Maybe a footprint, a sliver of DNA.

They've got a lot of circumstantial evidence in MS's case. Yeah, sure they can put him there, but it's all circumstantial.

"You nail the coffin that has a body in it, not an empty one."

I don't know the ins and outs of change-of-venue motions, but with the CajunNet and all the publicity, it doesn't seem unlikely to me that the trials may have to be moved - like to Shreveport or Monroe or somewhere within Louisiana but far away?

Megsy,:woohoo:
Thank you so much for the awesome timeline. At this time I can't figure out where your latest one is. I am unsure if the following items are included in your timeline. I am trying to see if you did or are addressing the questions. Maybe cause it's 3 am and my brain is too tired to think straight.

Bessie or Megsy,
I am not sure where to post these questions. I am unsure if these are on megsy. If the following needs to be posted elsewhere just let me know so I can delete and post in appropriate location.

I have questions.
Is anyone doing a timeline of BSL from 1994 til June 2012?
Possibly there are other girls that he terrorized and connections can be looked into.

BSL TIMELINE 1994 til June 2012
-- *Dates & locations of where BSL resided and with who. Properties & dates owned by bsl, his family members or relatives that BSL had access to.
-- *Date of BSL parents divorce and who & location he remained with.
-- *Dates & locations of schools, hospital, reform training, mental clinic, behavior clinics, etc.
-- *Dates & locations of military Army training & stations and dates of leave taken.
-- *Vehicles registered by BSL or he had access to drive (parents or family). How & when were vehicles disposed of (sold, traded) ?
-- *Police reports incidents, crimes or accidents BSL involved in with dates, location and what was situation.
-- *Was he allowed out of prison for visitations etc during his 8 yrs? If so, when & where?
-- *Where was he released from prison (city) and how did he arrive to his home and where?
-- *Employment companies & dates he was employed after prison release. Dates and Locations of employment, temporary assignments, training, leave dates, where he met boats, helicopter etc to go offshore.
----------
I have composed this message three times since yesterday but it seems to disappear as I am trying to post.

Thank you for the warm sleuthers here...... :tyou:
Since joining, I feel I am blessed with this place for insight and support. Thank y'all for all that's done. I appreciate it.

God bless families of Mickey, :angel: Lisa and others tormented by BSL.
:candle::candle: Bring Mickey home!!
I'm hoping to have time to tackle this today but we are packing the kids who are leaving tomorrow for a week in Lafayette.

Any new developments on that body that was discovered near Atlanta, TX? I have not seen anything new as of this morning. I am really starting to wonder what other murders BSL will be linked to. I was in shock yesterday...literally I was in front of the tv "Yes! they have enough evidence to convict him" "The ****!? a second murder charge!?" Crazy just crazy! Everyone keep digging up information!
It was an 88 year old man who committed suicide.
http://www.kltv.com/story/19059013/officials-investigating-body-found-in-east-texas-woods

I think they've got something that they're not telling us, like maybe some fingerprints on those boards. Maybe he was building something at the time where he used that type (size, dimension) of board. Maybe a footprint, a sliver of DNA.

They've got a lot of circumstantial evidence in MS's case. Yeah, sure they can put him there, but it's all circumstantial.

"You nail the coffin that has a body in it, not an empty one."

I tend to think that whatever evidence they found to charge him with Lisa Pate would have been found in his home. You'd think that if they had something specific regarding the boards, etc., they could have gotten him earlier. After all, they did have his prints from having gone to prison.

Those are excellent points to address in a timeline, EJay. I'm not sure if Megsy is working on an earlier timeline, but if not I'll be glad to get to work on it tomorrow. Once the information is compiled we can post it in the Media and Timeline thread. Thank you. :)

Bessie, this would be awesome if you'd tackle it!

I'm hoping to have time to tackle this today but we are packing the kids who are leaving tomorrow for a week in Lafayette.

Bet you feel a little safer sending them here, now that a suspect is in custody.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BJarv