LA - ***ARREST*** Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette, 19 May 2012 #38

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems a waste for society to pay for murders spending the rest of their lives in jail - IMO, once the appeals run out, they become organ donors - perhaps giving a bit of life back to someone in need...

While I agree with your thought, personally, I wouldnt want any part of him.

Yes it is nola..The communities & beyond are willing to support investigators and are a very valuable tool missing/murdered persons investigations analogous to an audio security camera across America.

Once info is shared with the public via the MS Media, prevention of other abduction victims/public safety is achieved, due to placing the predator on the defensive.''

http://www.nbc33tv.com/news/crimetr...s-for-possible-connection-to-brandon-lavergne

What’s certain is that the strong attention brought by the Mickey Shunick case is what lead investigators to examine Lavergne as a possible suspect in the first place.

*“The one good thing that came out of this is that the media did a good job of keeping this guy looking over his should and keeping him at bay,” Cpt. Judice concluded. “It’s not all law enforcement, it’s a community effort, especially in this case.

When this case goes to trial, I think there will be many things that come to light that the community will be proud of because they had a part in uncovering that information. The community really stepped up to the plate.”

I know that we are all looking forward to the day where these facts are revealed. My hunch is WS threads contain a vast majority!

Just saw this article hit the net:
http://www.shreveporttimes.com/article/20120719/NEWS01/120719005/Lavergne-charged-Mickey-Shunick-second-woman-s-murders?odyssey=nav%7Chead

Consider the source, but FWIW:

While no arrests were made, prosecutors asked an Acadia Parish grand jury in April 2008 to consider second-degree murder charges against Lavergne in Pate’s death. However, the grand jury took no action on the case.
According to minutes from the grand jury, the group returned a “pretermit” in the case, meaning no decision was made either to indict or to clear Lavergne on the charge.

He was released from prison a few months after this GJ convened.

http://www.bustedinacadiana.com/201...ked-at-lavergne-in-pate-slaying/#.UAhztrT2aSo

LOL we posted same thing at the same time!

I understand the concept of them being organ donors and giving back life that they took away, but would any of you want a loved one with a serial killers "organs" in their body? ::shudder::

an organ is an organ. if it's going to save a loved one's life i don't care where it came from. it doesn't have it's own brain that will make my loved one a SK. so i wouldn't care at all. it'd be the only good thing that could come from a SK IMO.

"If she is still alive out there, I'd bargain with [Lavergne]," said Shunick. "As far as I'm concerned, he can go [free] if it'd bring my daughter back, but if he's buried the body out there, I don't want to bargain for that." Quote from Tom Shunick 7/9/12 to KATC http://www.katc.com/full-coverage/searching-for-mickey-shunick/#!prettyPhoto[gallery]/90/

I agree very different from negotiating between DP and Life without Parole. And though the DA may well take the family's wishes into account to some degree when offering pleas, ultimately it's the DA's office that will determine whether they offer (or accept from defense) any negotiations.

Absolutely agree it's the DA's call. Was just expressing my opinion that if I were the DA I would let the families' opinions weigh in loud and clear. Obviously, if the families want the DP but I know I have a problematic case, I still make the deal. Likewise, if the families want the deal but I for whatever reason am adamant about the DP, I don't do the deal. DA's call but if it were me, the families would have a big say in it.

Speaking of families, anyone know if LP's family learned of this through the news or did LE inform them before/while the GJ hearing was occurring?

He could be willing to let BSL go free if Mickey was brought home alive, but unfortunately, that isn't how the judicial system works. The DA holds all of the cards.

Please don't think I suggested he had that authority. I was simply putting Mr. Shunick's statements about dealing with BSL into context.

~respectfully snipped

:what:Anybody else catch that BSL's wife was (likely) PREGNANT
at the time of the 2nd incident???

:maddening:moo

I'd like to know if the girl that was involved with his 1st Sex Offense he was dating her cousin, I wonder if BL married her cousin? I cannot figure out why anyone would go ahead and marry this guy anyway after that episode, it's all so far fetched then this newly wed woman turns around and files for divorce after he gets convicted. Better yet she takes the baby to visit him in Prison, talk about bizarre!

Okay--- I missed this from about an hour ago...
An Acadia Parish grand jury failed to take action in 2008! OMG!!! This breaks my heart!!!

While no arrests were made, prosecutors asked an Acadia Parish grand jury in April 2008 to consider second-degree murder charges against Lavergne in Pate’s death. However, the grand jury took no action on the case.

According to minutes from the grand jury, the group returned a “pretermit” in the case, meaning no decision was made either to indict or to clear Lavergne on the charge.

http://theadvocate.com/news/3390194-123/acadia-grand-jury-had-looked

...all our nerves yesterday were well founded.

Too bad deals like this have to be DP or no DP - IMO, too bad they can't offer something, "tell us where she is and you will get to live an extra year in jail before we zap you."
I don't like seeing thugs getting their way and making bargains - poor Mickey, what kind of bargain/deal did she ever get?

I hear ya. Tell us where she is and we'll do it nicely. Don't tell us where she is and it won't be so nice.

I thought I read on here that the suspect had been in a car accident, and a woman passenger in that car accident, was injured to the point of being in a wheelchair. Is this true, or rumor, and if it is true, can someone post the link to the article again?

Thank you.

Have seen the rumor around in different places, but haven't seen a MSM report of it yet.

I bet the witness was too scared to say anything at that point. Now she can say plenty without fear of him.

On the organ donation thing -- organs contain DNA. i would never want the DNA of a known serial killer in my body or anyone I was related to for that matter. Best thing that could happen to those organs is for them to be incinerated. I believe in time we will earn many many things about DNA that we do not currently understand -- in fact -- in time I believe medical practices of 2012 will be considered barbaric and entirely revamped. So -- don't take blood products or ANY body organs from someone you do not know. It's just an awful idea in my humble opinion.

I see that in 2008 evidence against BSL for Lisa Pate's death was presented to a grand jury and they returned a "pretermit" in the case. This would have been before he was even released from prison. If only they had come back with a true bill and put him through trial instead....

http://www.bustedinacadiana.com/2012/07/acadia-grand-jury-looked-at-lavergne-in-pate-slaying/

eta: Yes I realized BIA is not favored here at WS but I'm sure some of our legal gurus here can easily confirm the grand jury heard this case.

Lafayette folks, I posted the question earlier but don't recall seeing a reply:

Is this the same Busted In Acadiana whose founder was arrested a while back for cyberstalking/harassment (or something of the like)?

I'd like to know if the girl that was involved with his 1st Sex Offense he was dating her cousin, I wonder if BL married her cousin? I cannot figure out why anyone would go ahead and marry this guy anyway after that episode, it's all so far fetched then this newly wed woman turns around and files for divorce after he gets convicted. Better yet she takes the baby to visit him in Prison, talk about bizarre!

"It was a brief dating and a brief marriage," Jessica Vasseur, the mother of Lavergne's ex-wife, told The Daily Advertiser on Thursday. "She didn't know him at all."
http://www.theadvertiser.com/article/20120715/NEWS01/207150334/Troubles-follow-suspect

She never pressed charges! That's 3 women that are still alive!
That can be called as witnesses!

"Lavergne was never convicted of any domestic abuse charges. KATC reached out to his ex-wife on the phone, she declined comment"
http://www.katc.com/news/brandon-lavergne-accused-of-domestic-abuse-in-1999-marriage/

I don't believe she ever took the child to see him???
moo

Lafayette folks, I posted the question earlier but don't recall seeing a reply:

Is this the same Busted In Acadiana whose founder was arrested a while back for cyberstalking/harassment (or something of the like)?

http://1079ishot.com/man-who-allege...adiana-facebook-page-gets-busted-in-acadiana/

"KATC is reporting that Lafayette police have arrested Christopher Hebert, charging him with stalking and cyberstalking. The report states that the charges stem from complaints received from a woman from Lafayette Parish who claimed that Hebert “threatened her via the internet and over phone messages dating back to November, 2010.”

According to The Independent, this is the same Christopher Hebert that created the insanely popular Facebook page known as “Busted in Acadiana.” In a story published by The Independent they describe Hebert as...(cont'd)"

I'm not sure she had a baby at home.
I'm getting the feeling she gave it up for adoption...
on her own,
NOT that it was given up for adoption
because of her death...

The boys have a different last name...
moo

"It was a brief dating and a brief marriage," Jessica Vasseur, the mother of Lavergne's ex-wife, told The Daily Advertiser on Thursday. "She didn't know him at all."
http://www.theadvertiser.com/article/20120715/NEWS01/207150334/Troubles-follow-suspect

She never pressed charges! That's 3 women that are still alive!
That can be called as witnesses!

"Lavergne was never convicted of any domestic abuse charges. KATC reached out to his ex-wife on the phone, she declined comment"
http://www.katc.com/news/brandon-lavergne-accused-of-domestic-abuse-in-1999-marriage/

I don't believe she ever took the child to see him???
moo

"According to court documents, during his first five years in prison, Lavergne voluntarily "completed numerous mental and social health programs to achieve rehabilitation, including but not limited to three separate anger managements, all four phases of the Louisiana Sex Offender Treatment Program, a domestic violence prevention group, a victims awareness group, two parents for fathers group, a Character Counts group, a stress management group, as well as volunteer tutor workshop and two HIV/STD education classes."

gngr~snap, thanks for the newspaper article! you do a great job! do you know if he has an STD? he could have been born with one, that would be unfortunate for a child.

I feel that the evidence in this case will slowly leak out. There is no way that all of the LE, jurors and witnesses involved in this case can keep a secret from friends and family. It will be interesting to hear what they actually have on this guy. I hope that they have some solid evidence because if they do not find the body, they will really need something strong to pin this on him. I do not think that he will admit to anything unless they find a body or have some other evidence that we do not know about.

I think it is very necessary to determine exactly the dates involved with the Pate case. If she went missing the date of the wreck but was deceased on a different date, was she held in that "camp" for an undetermined amount of time and then killed? Didn't she have an infant at home? Did someone write that she was 35 and he was 20 and it was BSL's child? I swear I saw that. Someone tell me that is not true. The people in the wreck were a good bit older than BSL, but he lived with the male in that "camp"? If BSL was at that camp and he called the two in the car to come pick him up and they came-- why were they in such a hurry to leave the camp with the girl still there (she must have been alive...cause she was reported missing the same day as the wreck) -- but her death date is July 3 or September -- but they found her in October-- I am so confused. Was BSL the father of Pate's baby or not? How was she missing on the date of the wreck but died a different day....I am losing the plot....

She was found (her bones) On September 21, but it took a week to identify her by dental records.

http://1079ishot.com/man-who-allege...adiana-facebook-page-gets-busted-in-acadiana/

"KATC is reporting that Lafayette police have arrested Christopher Hebert, charging him with stalking and cyberstalking. The report states that the charges stem from complaints received from a woman from Lafayette Parish who claimed that Hebert “threatened her via the internet and over phone messages dating back to November, 2010.”

According to The Independent, this is the same Christopher Hebert that created the insanely popular Facebook page known as “Busted in Acadiana.” In a story published by The Independent they describe Hebert as...(cont'd)"

OK, that's the guy who owned the FB page. But is the FB page owned by the same person who owns the BIA website?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HoyaMathilde