LA - ***ARREST*** Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette, 19 May 2012 #38

Status
Not open for further replies.
My recollection is that he was willing to let BSL go free if he could bring Mickey home alive but that if she were dead, then forget it. I think what we are discussing now is a little bit different. He may be of that opinion but I think it was expressed in a different context at that time.

"If she is still alive out there, I'd bargain with [Lavergne]," said Shunick. "As far as I'm concerned, he can go [free] if it'd bring my daughter back, but if he's buried the body out there, I don't want to bargain for that." Quote from Tom Shunick 7/9/12 to KATC http://www.katc.com/full-coverage/searching-for-mickey-shunick/#!prettyPhoto[gallery]/90/

I agree very different from negotiating between DP and Life without Parole. And though the DA may well take the family's wishes into account to some degree when offering pleas, ultimately it's the DA's office that will determine whether they offer (or accept from defense) any negotiations.

the vehicle accident on record was on 6/19/99 but she was said to have died on the same day as the accident and she's said to have died on the 7/3. so is this really the right accident?

The info posted via a WS verified insider was that she went missing the same day of the accident.

http://www.icrimewatch.net/offenderdetails.php?OfndrID=1417897&AgencyID=53604...

It would be nice to know!

The release and probation dates don't line up!

Difference of a week on the conviction date too.
So Feb 18, 2000 to Aug 9, 2008, unless someone can validate the Feb 25 conviction date that was from the TD timeline.

The probation dates don't concern me for this purpose, but I wonder if the overlapping probation dates to release date isn't a short term, last 90 days transitional process and typical. I've not scrutinized criminal history this close ever.

My recollection is that he was willing to let BSL go free if he could bring Mickey home alive but that if she were dead, then forget it. I think what we are discussing now is a little bit different. He may be of that opinion but I think it was expressed in a different context at that time.

He could be willing to let BSL go free if Mickey was brought home alive, but unfortunately, that isn't how the judicial system works. The DA holds all of the cards.

At the time, Lavergne was in the U.S. Army, stationed at Fort Polk. Vernon Parish sources requested anonymity say records indicate he was also accused of, but not arrested or charged with, rape during his time there.

Read more: EvangelineToday.com - Shunick suspect s background one of contradictions includes homicide probe alleged rape

Is this yet another rape? The woman didn't press charges...

Also in 1999 the remains of a missing woman were found in an isolated part of Acadia Parish

Normally reliable law enforcement sources say Lavergne was among persons of interest in that case. Authorities were never able to close the circle of evidence and charge anyone in what was considered by them a homicide

so he was a POI!!!

:seeya:~oh Bessie??? I found that link! :woohoo:

Oh yeah, they suspected him from the beginning as far as I can tell, but he was already in jail on unrelated charges (the sex offense.)

the vehicle accident on record was on 6/19/99 but she was said to have died on the same day as the accident and she's said to have died on the 7/3. so is this really the right accident?

That's a good question, and I don't have any answers.

There are too many different stories out there at this point for me to make any progress.

All that I really know is that the property where she was found was a rental property, and that the renters (who found her) moved in after she was put there. These renters who found her lived there about a month before discovering her.

Some MSM reports say she went missing in June.
At least one MSM report states she died on the 3rd of July, but I don't know how that was figured out.

I have heard different stories about who was in the accident.
I have heard different stories about who lived in the house at the time of the accident.
I have heard different stories about how the accident and LP's death are related.

It is all making my head spin. :blushing: I will have to wait for more MSM reports.

Latest UpdateLisa Pate's family: She was a loving & caring person

02:20 PM

Lisa Pate's family talks to KATC's Jenise Fernandez today at 5 and 6. She's the second woman Brandon Lavergne is accused of killing. Family says hearing about the indictment yesterday was shocking. They describe Lisa as a loving and caring person.

http://www.katc.com/full-coverage/searching-for-mickey-shunick/

------------
I'm nit-picking here, but shouldn't it be " the other woman" or "the first woman" BSL is accused of killing? (As in: the first woman that we know of.). The refer to Lisa as the second implies there was another before her (possible).

I know I'm acting the grammar police...but that's how rumors start.

Agree with the sentiment but I would put my own feelings aside on this one. For me, I would be asking the Shunicks. Whatever they want. If they don't want a deal, go for the DP. If they want to know where Mickey's body is so they can bring her home in exchange for life w/o, then I cut the deal.

Too bad deals like this have to be DP or no DP - IMO, too bad they can't offer something, "tell us where she is and you will get to live an extra year in jail before we zap you."
I don't like seeing thugs getting their way and making bargains - poor Mickey, what kind of bargain/deal did she ever get?

I thought I read on here that the suspect had been in a car accident, and a woman passenger in that car accident, was injured to the point of being in a wheelchair. Is this true, or rumor, and if it is true, can someone post the link to the article again?

Thank you.

By using the same process as LE, determining which cases he cannot be a POI in with his incarceration dates, we know:
April 12, 1999 offense date
(he obviously was out on bond pending trial to commit LP alledge murder & 2 domestic abuse instances.)
Feb 25, 2000 pleads guilty & sentenced to 10 years.
So anything up to Feb 25, 2000 is to be checked and then nothing until August 9, 2008, his release on parole.
Is this right?

However, something that needs to be looked into further is why his offender information has the following listed for his probation:

"Comments
Offender Lavergne is a Life time registraint.

• Probation Conditions

BEGINS 11/15/2007
ENDS 11/15/2010
"

http://www.icrimewatch.net/offenderdetails.php?OfndrID=1417897&AgencyID=54450

Pure genius. It makes me sick that these people get to keep living after taking someone's life. I've always wondered how this board would lean on the issue. Love the organ donor idea though.

I understand the concept of them being organ donors and giving back life that they took away, but would any of you want a loved one with a serial killers "organs" in their body? ::shudder::

------------
I'm nit-picking here, but shouldn't it be " the other woman" or "the first woman" BSL is accused of killing? (As in: the first woman that we know of.). The refer to Lisa as the second implies there was another before her (possible).

I read it the same way --- and thought that it was a peculiar wording...Freudian slip or omen for what's to come? But time line wise, it's confusing to say the least.

Difference of a week on the conviction date too.
So Feb 18, 2000 to Aug 9, 2008, unless someone can validate the Feb 25 conviction date that was from the TD timeline.

The probation dates don't concern me for this purpose, but I wonder if the overlapping probation dates to release date isn't a short term, last 90 days transitional process and typical. I've not scrutinized criminal history this close ever.

Probation 3 yrs... Nov 07'- Nov 10'

Nov 07' to Aug 08' = 9 months so maybe? (half way house?)
Aug 08' to Nov 10' = + 27 months after official release?

??? IDK.

"Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster." -Friedrich Nietzsche

It's nice to see LE give the community the proper kudos for their role in this case.

Yes it is nola..The communities & beyond are willing to support investigators and are a very valuable tool missing/murdered persons investigations analogous to an audio security camera across America.

Once info is shared with the public via the MS Media, prevention of other abduction victims/public safety is achieved, due to placing the predator on the defensive.''

http://www.nbc33tv.com/news/crimetr...s-for-possible-connection-to-brandon-lavergne

What’s certain is that the strong attention brought by the Mickey Shunick case is what lead investigators to examine Lavergne as a possible suspect in the first place.

*“The one good thing that came out of this is that the media did a good job of keeping this guy looking over his should and keeping him at bay,” Cpt. Judice concluded. “It’s not all law enforcement, it’s a community effort, especially in this case.

When this case goes to trial, I think there will be many things that come to light that the community will be proud of because they had a part in uncovering that information. The community really stepped up to the plate.”

I understand the concept of them being organ donors and giving back life that they took away, but would any of you want a loved one with a serial killers "organs" in their body? ::shudder::

States have routinely turned these requests down. There's the Colorado case where the prisoner wants to give his kidney to a relative and also the Oregon case of Christian Longo.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42667886/ns/health-health_care/t/killers-quest-allow-organ-donation-after-execution/#.UAhyj47FXos

------------

I totally understand what you're saying, but they meant that Mickey was the first woman he was accused of killing, and Lisa was the second one that he was accused of. Yes, it should be stated in chronological order, that would make more sense.

Consider the source, but FWIW:

"While no arrests were made, prosecutors asked an Acadia Parish grand jury in April 2008 to consider second-degree murder charges against Lavergne in Pate’s death. However, the grand jury took no action on the case.
According to minutes from the grand jury, the group returned a “pretermit” in the case, meaning no decision was made either to indict or to clear Lavergne on the charge."

He was released from prison a few months after this GJ convened.

http://www.bustedinacadiana.com/201...ked-at-lavergne-in-pate-slaying/#.UAhztrT2aSo

I see that in 2008 evidence against BSL for Lisa Pate's death was presented to a grand jury and they returned a "pretermit" in the case. This would have been before he was even released from prison. If only they had come back with a true bill and put him through trial instead....

http://www.bustedinacadiana.com/2012/07/acadia-grand-jury-looked-at-lavergne-in-pate-slaying/

eta: Yes I realized BIA is not favored here at WS but I'm sure some of our legal gurus here can easily confirm the grand jury heard this case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EnvyofAngels