LA - Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette, 19 May 2012 #41

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was pleased to log in to the online book swap site I belong to the other night and find a copy of "Bad Boy from Rosebud" available -- it is now on its way to me. I don't know whether the book is hard to find in stores or not, but wanted to mention this option for some of you who were wanting to read it.

I very seldom purchase a new book these days, and I am a voracious reader, when I have the time to be -- I really enjoy the swap site! The one I belong to should come up first if you Google online book swap, but there are others, as well -- not trying to plug any particular one, just suggesting an option for those who might have trouble locating/budgeting that book (and other books that are recommended on WS from time to time).

ETA: Decided I might should add, for benefit of those who haven't been in on other, earlier discussion about this book, that it is one of the true crime titles authored by someone who apparently is related to BSL.

Are my eyes playing tricks on me or does is say in this 24 page court document that they have a statement that the suspect made about Mickey on/around April 21st? Would this mean he knew her prior to the crime was committed? Would this mean premeditated murder? Someone pick this apart lol. Thanks.

That's what I got. I've been saying he knew her before hand, even if she didn't know him. But most users disagree. I've thought she wasn't random ever since hearing about the random women's possessions being found. He liked familiarity, I think he felt power because of it.

That's what I got. I've been saying he knew her before hand, even if she didn't know him. But most users disagree. I've thought she wasn't random ever since hearing about the random women's possessions being found. He liked familiarity, I think he felt power because of it.

He may have. I am just not sure that something he may have said on April 20th was about her specifically, or about what he would do with a body, or even something about burning a car to get rid of evidence, or getting the RSO off his license...he is charged with various crimes regarding Mickey's murder. So it could have been a number of things.

This how I imagine it (the statement to LE upon his arrest) may have gone down:

LE: where were you the night of May 18/ morning of May 19?

BSL: I was off shore working, sir.

LE: we have proof here from your employer that you were in fact NOT off shore.

BSL: I want an attorney

Something to that effect.

The court document also requests signed alibi from BSL by a certain date, if I'm not mistaken. (I don't have it here in front of me). This leads me to believe that not talking to LE means NOT talking to LE, not even tryin to defend himself.

http://www.theadvertiser.com/assets/pdf/DG19295683.PDF

In the above document it says

The defendant BSL met the victim LP in Lafayette parish ,enticed and persuaded LP to go with him from Lafayette Parish to another place, and /or forcibly seized and carried LP,to another place, whereupon the defendant forced LP, for her release, to engage in non-consensual acts, and/or inflicted physical injury and/or sexual abuse upon LP.

My bold above

How do they know this? When he enticed and persuaded her to go with him they may have a witness that heard the conversation but how do they know he forced her for her release. Could they have a witness or a video.

http://www.theadvertiser.com/assets/pdf/DG19295683.PDF

In the above document it says

The defendant BSL met the victim LP in Lafayette parish ,enticed and persuaded LP to go with him from Lafayette Parish to another place, and /or forcibly seized and carried LP,to another place, whereupon the defendant forced LP, for her release, to engage in non-consensual acts, and/or inflicted physical injury and/or sexual abuse upon LP.

My bold above

How do they know this? When he enticed and persuaded her to go with him they may have a witness that heard the conversation but how do they know he forced her for her release. Could they have a witness or a video.

I noticed that, too. As far as the first part - how he got her to go with him, they seem to have written it to cover all bases - enticed/persuaded/seized/carried - this tells me they don't know how she went with him - must not have evidence.

But - the second part - "for her release" does tell me that, if it's been worded finely, that they somehow have evidence that he told her to obey if she wanted to be released.

My #1 reading of this is that they have a video he took, or a diary. Still photos couldn't show a bargain like that, IMO.

I noticed that, too. As far as the first part - how he got her to go with him, they seem to have written it to cover all bases - enticed/persuaded/seized/carried - this tells me they don't know how she went with him - must not have evidence.

But - the second part - "for her release" does tell me that, if it's been worded finely, that they somehow have evidence that he told her to obey if she wanted to be released.

My #1 reading of this is that they have a video he took, or a diary. Still photos couldn't show a bargain like that, IMO.

Maybe they found a video or a diary when they searched his house. Remember the first time they brought him before the GJ they were trying to charge him with 2nd degree murder and the 2nd time they went for 1st degree murder so they had to have some new evidence to support that charge.

BBM

Well abuse or no abuse no matter how awful, they CANNOT let him out on the streets EVER again. I'm not saying that you feel as though they should.

He HAS to get life in prison in order to protect society from him. It does sadden me that he was abused, but he's a killer and the penalty needs to be in accordance with the fact that he's a killer.

I totally agree. I do not believe this man can ever be out among us again, ever. I think if he was a terribly abused child, his attorneys will use that info to try to avoid a death penalty.

I am curious to know how Lisa Pate's murder investigation went cold for 13 years, yet was solved immediately after BS Lavergne's arrest. Was it upgrades in DNA/forensics, evidence located in the search of his residence; souverneirs/pics/videos, or did a witness come forward after 13 years, lack of media coverage 13 years ago; MSM /Social media, etc.?

So many questions, yet so few answers..

FBI — The FBI's CODIS Program
www.fbi.gov/news/testimony/the-fbis-codis-programMay 14, 2002 – The STR loci approved for use in CODIS were specifically selected as law .... 3 Effective the later of July 1, 2002 or the date when sufficient funds have ... 5 Effective September 1, 2000, Louisiana was authorized to collect a ..

But we know from our annual survey of CODIS laboratories that the majority of states are unable to keep pace with the collection of these convicted offender samples. Federal funding provided under the DNA Analysis Backlog Elimination Act of 2000 has had significant positive impact on these backlogs, but the reality is that new backlogs will continue to be created as states expand their database laws.

I am curious to know how Lisa Pate's murder investigation went cold for 13 years, yet was solved immediately after BS Lavergne's arrest. Was it upgrades in DNA/forensics, evidence located in the search of his residence; souverneirs/pics/videos, or did a witness come forward after 13 years, lack of media coverage 13 years ago; MSM /Social media, etc.?

JMO, but I strongly feel that it largely is the result of evidence found in the search of his trailer. I may well be wrong, but I dont believe that someone coming forward, IN AND OF ITSELF, would have resulted in bumping up a failed 2nd degree murder charge to a 1st degree murder charge. Even if someone had come forward, I dont believe that LE would have taken that bold step without some new corroborating evidence. As to new advances in forensics, I suppose that is possible, but Lisa Pate's remains were not exhumed, so it would have had to been something they already had but reinvestigated when BSL showed up on the radar, I would think. And while LE MAY have been investigating Lisa when they went to his trailer to search, I really believe that they were only searching in relation to Mickey, and I believe that finding something new that ties him to Lisa was just a "bonus", to put it in very poor terms. Remember how surprised we were when the second murder charge was announced? I really believe that LE was equally surprised to find that evidence. I still hold strongly to my belief that they found pics most likely, or videos, or souvenirs. JMO

Perhaps a combo of everything above. Have a feeling his residence held more than one secret, past inmates are speaking out, people from his inner circle are coming forward causing bsl's world to finally fall down around him.

I hope no one lied for him in 2008 to help prevent the GJ from indicting...when possibly telling the truth could have saved Mickey from encountering a monster that night. I can't helping wondering why LE thought they had enough to convene a GJ, yet was unable to obtain an indictment; usually LE is hesitant to try for indictments without a good solid case.

Maybe they found a video or a diary when they searched his house. Remember the first time they brought him before the GJ they were trying to charge him with 2nd degree murder and the 2nd time they went for 1st degree murder so they had to have some new evidence to support that charge.

Perhaps he is also a writer. He may put in writing details as well as his excitement. He may even have written his plans.
However, I do think there are pics at least.

Due to time constraints, I don't have time to research the link, but seems that I remember an MSM article released concerning reopening the Lisa Pate murder investigation a few weeks before the grand jury announcement.

Due to time constraints, I don't have time to research the link, but seems that I remember an MSM article released concerning reopening the Lisa Pate murder investigation a few weeks before the grand jury announcement.

Makes me wonder if he hid some evidence at someone's house and they eventually looked at it and turned it over to LE. Like maybe June 14th?

This article is from 2002.. Three guesses who the suspect is that is already in jail
for an unrelated offense?

https://groups.google.com/forum/m/?fromgroups#!topic/alt.true-crime/oc58dXgNuvA

Another Lafayette woman, Lisa Pate, 35, was found dead underneath some
boards behind a house near Church Point in Oct. 1999. Forensics expert
Mary Manheim had to help identify the skeletal remains.

Lt. Keith Latiolais of the Acadia Parish Sheriff's Office said that
case remains active, though he said detectives do not believe the case
is connected to the serial killings.

Investigators have a suspect in Pate's death, but he's already in jail
for an unrelated offense, Latiolais said.

That same month, in Oct. 1999, a hunter in St. Martin Parish found the
badly decomposed body of 24-year-old Danielle Thibodeaux of Breaux
Bridge.

"They still have not been able to determine the cause of death," said
Capt. Audrey Thibodeuax of the St. Martin Parish Sheriff's Office.

In related news, Lafayette Parish Sheriff Mike Neustrom said Thursday
a joint task force of the Sheriff's Office, Lafayette Police, State
Police, Acadiana Crime Lab, Metro Forensics and the FBI will meet
today with the Baton Rouge Area Homicide Task Force on how to best
share information.

Behavioral scientists with the FBI will be in Lafayette next week to
look at the case, Neustrom said.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online