IN - Lauren Spierer, 20, Bloomington, 03 June 2011 #27

Status
Not open for further replies.
My take is that she probably misspoke and meant that the tooth would be removed for the DNA portion of the investigation vs. the dental records comparison.

Definitely possible. Or sloppy reporting which we know by now is not uncommon in this case. Recall the recent video Lohud made in which the same audio track segment was used twice. However, it seems Lohud has more direct access to info about the case, and they report what info they have more frequently.

Too many times it seems like there's always a really obvious question that the reporter didn't bother to ask. In this case it would be why it's taking so long to confirm whether dental records match or not. They seem to get initial information and then don't ask the obvious followup question(s) that should clearly branch from that.

Based on the latest article provided by jupiter, Im thinking this could be her. The Sr Deputy Coroners use of the word "new" tests, suggest there has already preliminary tests. The deputy coroner used the word "subsequence" which also suggests to me that there's been a preliminary test. Assuming we are not dealing a power struggle within the Marion County Coroners office, im thinking that the preliminary tests ,at least, could not eliminate Lauren. .They could also, had recieved only a phone call from the patholigist and are waiting for the official paper report. I do think the Sr Deputy Coroner taking over with the Media is telling that the skull is from a young female.

Based on the latest article provided by jupiter, Im thinking this could be her. The Sr Deputy Coroners use of the word "new" tests, suggest there has already preliminary tests. The deputy coroner used the word "subsequence" which also suggests to me that there's been a preliminary test. Assuming we are not dealing a power struggle within the Marion County Coroners office, im thinking that the preliminary tests ,at least, could not eliminate Lauren. .They could also, had recieved only a phone call from the patholigist and are waiting for the official paper report. I do think the Sr Deputy Coroner taking over with the Media is telling that the skull is from a young female.

I think some of what's going on is bureaucratic. That is, they must abide by proper procedure--they can't go forward without the official paperwork.

The fact that the senior coroner said "in deference to the Spierer family" could be telling too. To say this publicly she risks great criticism by those who feel Lauren has been getting too much attention.

But prior to that she implies they don't even know the gender or race; however, again she may be referring to "in writing."

I think some of what's going on is bureaucratic. That is, they must abide by proper procedure--they can't go forward without the official paperwork.

The fact that the senior coroner said "in deference to the Spierer family" could be telling too. To say this publicly she risks great criticism by those who feel Lauren has been getting too much attention.

But prior to that she implies they don't even know the gender or race; however, again she may be referring to "in writing."

I can't make heads or tails of what they are doing, so I am just going to wait. Dental records don't take weeks to compare. And the skull supposedly had its teeth. And normally its enough to do a dental record comparison without then going for DNA testing. So, I am clueless as to what is going on with this comparison.

I hope that skull has not been gathering dust while humans are on a sit and spin. Too many cooks ruin the soup. Humans must establish a pecking order before they can get to work.
It was a dog that gave me any clue concerning this case at all. Maybe, it will be a dog that solves the case. There are trained water dogs that can find you underwater more than a year later.

I hope that skull has not been gathering dust while humans are on a sit and spin. Too many cooks ruin the soup.

I guess that is another option. That they haven't been actually testing it yet.

I guess that is another option. That they haven't been actually testing it yet.

I guess that is now a real possibility- The case is truly a cold case and there's no longer any urgency or priority.

If the teeth did not match Lauren, or anyone else they have on file, they may need DNA to see if there is anyone with DNA on file that is a match...I don't know. Somehow, I do not believe this will turn out to be Lauren.

I really dont get it with them. It takes a couple of days at most to do the PCR that would establish whether there is a DNA match or not. Why are they so slow? Too much bureaucracy. If that is how slow they operate on everything, it figures why the case has not been solved yet.

This may be the most publicized missing person case in history since Helen and Troy.
Millions want answers now and we want to believe someone is going to work looking for those answers.

If the teeth did not match Lauren, or anyone else they have on file, they may need DNA to see if there is anyone with DNA on file that is a match...I don't know. Somehow, I do not believe this will turn out to be Lauren.

If she is ruled out by dental comparison they don't need to wait for DNA results at all to say it's not her.
And dental comparison doesn't take 8 weeks. You take x-rays of the skull, you compare to x-rays from the victim-how long can that possibly take? A day at the most?

If she is ruled out by dental comparison they don't need to wait for DNA results at all to say it's not her.
And dental comparison doesn't take 8 weeks. You take x-rays of the skull, you compare to x-rays from the victim-how long can that possibly take? A day at the most?

I know...I am just frustrated. I hope they don't mess this up in some way that ends up helping a defense for some killer down the line...no matter who this is.

I disagree with this as I lived at Lake Clearwater apartments for the past two years (just recently moved out of state) . Our apartment was right on the back end of the lake and most nights was eerily quiet. Yes during the day the bridge that runs along 82nd and 86th by the fashion mall is heavily travelled. But at night is very quiet and easily accessible with little possibility of being noticed. Also with the closing of the UNOs on the corner last year it would make it even easier . I often drove by the area late at night on my way home from the gym and would see a random car or two parked just off the lake and never really thought twice.

I hope that this is her in fact, I have followed the case since day one and this family deserves closure and I hope that day occurs soon for them

You're right. I had forgotten about UNO's closing.

This may be the most publicized missing person case in history since Helen and Troy.
Millions want answers now and we want to believe someone is going to work looking for those answers.

Probably not the most publicized - remember Jimmy Hoffa and Ambrose Bierce?

The other night I had an awesome dream about guardians who are watching over and protecting Lauren and this case. They are heavily armored but not with guns. They are not going to allow the baddies in. Maybe the guardians represent the coroner officials, lab personnel, detectives.

The head definitely could have separated naturally. I am confused by what is going on too, but if the preliminary tests were negative they would have ruled her out. They were either positive or inconclusive. Part of me doesn't want this to be her so I am biased toward inconclusive which, sometimes, comparing dentals IS inconclusive.
However, part of me also feels like they think it is her and are just making 100% sure now :(

The head definitely could have separated naturally. I am confused by what is going on too, but if the preliminary tests were negative they would have ruled her out. They were either positive or inconclusive. Part of me doesn't want this to be her so I am biased toward inconclusive which, sometimes, comparing dentals IS inconclusive.
However, part of me also feels like they think it is her and are just making 100% sure now :(

What would be the reason for inconclusive dental comparison? Perfect teeth with no fillings?

This is enlightening. It's referring to teeth marks on a victim, so on the victim herself it would be even easier to ID:

"Forensic odontology works on the principle that no two people have exactly the same dental imprints. Extractions, fillings, chipped, gapped, or closely spaced teeth can all be used to identify who the teeth marks are from. Some teeth may even be twisted or tilted. Even with individuals who have had their teeth straightened through the use of braces, there will be some distinctive features that can be used to identify them based on their dental work."

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-forensic-odontology.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member