GUILTY NY - Isabella Tennant, 5, Niagara Falls, 27 Aug 2012

@ Zuckerschnecke - totally agree, whilst I appreciate the UK is only the size of one state of the US, despite probably having a higher population than one state, we are still quite immune to the horrors that go on, yes we do get some that shock the country.

In hindsight, I put my toddler at risk almost 20 years ago; at primary school they were given "reading partners" from an older class, this reading partner and her chums would call for my child to go and play down the park (approx 200 metres away from home), it was a bit of free time for me between finishing work, and preparing the evening meal: at this time I was also aware that my child was known to the people who's home backed on to the park, and dog walkers: subsequently found out her father was a bit dubious, and I stopped it.

We were in an area where we all looked out for each other, and everyone knew everyone (and all the gossip!).

It could have turned out so much worse.

On the other hand, my then milkman's daughters came knocking on my door one day, saying there was a strange man down the fields "being creepy" - they hardly knew me, but I was the closest that they did know, and I took them in and phoned their home.

It's very easy to put your trust in people, familiarity and routine makes you less wary.

The best advice I can give is to educate your kids on what to do if they are feeling uneasy in a situation that they still have some control over. Also re the parental concern on Reena - my child from the age of two had a mini plastic chair that was dragged around , either to see what I was doing on the worktop in the kitchen, or to open the door. I wanted my child to be able to open that door, and was given strict instructions on how to get out of the house, and in which circumstances, and which neighbours to go to should the need arise, eg I've fallen down the stairs and was unconscious, there was a gas explosion or fire. We also talked from a young age, that if there was a fire in the night, the best way to get out of an upstairs floor: to get out and raise the alarm, as me and hubby may be overcome by smoke. These things need to be talked through with a child, and I'd say from the age of 2 - 3: obviously in language that is suitable for the individual child, not too scary, but matter of fact - they will feel happier knowing what to do.

Unfortunately, this would apparently not have worked for poor Bella, as she was in a house she should have felt safe in.

Sorry a bit/lot Off topic there.

what on earth could the motive be? I am just shocked and baffled.

I'd say there are 4 options.

1. Sexual - not in a totally pervy way, but experimenting. (benefit of the doubt given there, as no previous that we know of).
2. Re enacting violent video games. (It doesn't matter, because if you can crawl along and get a power up - KABOOM - you are back to life).
3. Anger at being disturbed/interrupted by a child, so roughly handled to get her out of the way.
4. Fun fights, rough and tumble - no malice intended.

I also think that easily accessible *advertiser censored* and violent computer games, dilutes the reality of the possible tragic outcome.

In some of the cases where a teen killed a child, a teen gets angry at a child for whatever reason. Since there were apparently no weapons involved, that's the potential motive I am currently thinking of.

both entered a plea of not guilty
Two suspects faced a judge Tuesday morning, in connection to the devastating death of a five-year-old Niagara Falls girl.

Sixteen-year-old John Freeman and eighteen-year-old Tyler Best pleaded not guilty in the death of Isabella Tennant, in Niagara Falls City Court.

Family members tell News 4 Freeman confessed to the murder while being questioned by police. He is being charged as an adult with second-degree murder. Best is facing a tampering with evidence charge.
http://www.wivb.com/dpp/news/crime/suspects-face-judge-plead-not-guilty

John Robert Freeman, 17, is charged with second degree murder.

Tyler Scott Best, 18, is charged with tampering with evidence. Police say Best was not invovled in Isabella's death, but did help Freeman move her body to a garbage can. Police also say Best contacted them to tell them where to find Tennant's body.

Niagara Falls Judge Angelo Morinello closed the courtroom to the public, only allowing family and media into the courtroom.

Judge Morinello told reporters Tuesday that statements made by the teens will be sealed
http://www.wgrz.com/news/article/17...-Year-Olds-Death?odyssey=tab|topnews|bc|large

How much time can someone get for tampering with evidence??

I hope they give that guy a break since it appears he wasn't involved in the murder and voluntarily led police to the body. Which is what they want people to do, I presume, so the child doesn't just disappear.

Freeman has such clear skin, I guess he's not into drugs/glue/substances. Earlier pics you can enlarge, and these must be very recent mugshots.

I reckon this is something that went horribly wrong, or even a tragic accident.

Bella looks such a loving, lively, intelligent child, that she would probably seem years ahead of her actual age. I'm wondering if they forgot she was a mere 5 year old.

Some people might not agree with what I'm about to say but I'm gonna say it anyway: I love my mom, she would dote on my daughter and she watched my daughter many times while we were still in the States. Same with my grandmother who at her age had already been the president of a bank. But there is a generation gap, IMO, regarding trust and safety that cannot be ignored. I can imagine this great grandmother had people helping her at her age. She trusted these kids. It's a whole different world from when they were younger and nowadays, you can't trust people like you used to, no matter how good your intentions are. I come from the days of walking to school alone at 5, sitting on the front seat of the car with my dad's arm as the seat belt and no way in h-e double toothpicks would I be wearing a bike helmet. Grandmas and great- grandmas still live in that world. Moms have to be careful about the circumstances and not rely on another generation to take the same precautions.

Rest in peace little angel.

One of the articles linked says grandmother was known for trying to help troubled kids. Helping troubled kids is all well and good, but one has to be careful with a young child around.

@ Zuckerschnecke - totally agree, whilst I appreciate the UK is only the size of one state of the US, despite probably having a higher population than one state, we are still quite immune to the horrors that go on, yes we do get some that shock the country.

In hindsight, I put my toddler at risk almost 20 years ago; at primary school they were given "reading partners" from an older class, this reading partner and her chums would call for my child to go and play down the park (approx 200 metres away from home), it was a bit of free time for me between finishing work, and preparing the evening meal: at this time I was also aware that my child was known to the people who's home backed on to the park, and dog walkers: subsequently found out her father was a bit dubious, and I stopped it.

We were in an area where we all looked out for each other, and everyone knew everyone (and all the gossip!).

It could have turned out so much worse.

On the other hand, my then milkman's daughters came knocking on my door one day, saying there was a strange man down the fields "being creepy" - they hardly knew me, but I was the closest that they did know, and I took them in and phoned their home.

It's very easy to put your trust in people, familiarity and routine makes you less wary.

The best advice I can give is to educate your kids on what to do if they are feeling uneasy in a situation that they still have some control over. Also re the parental concern on Reena - my child from the age of two had a mini plastic chair that was dragged around , either to see what I was doing on the worktop in the kitchen, or to open the door. I wanted my child to be able to open that door, and was given strict instructions on how to get out of the house, and in which circumstances, and which neighbours to go to should the need arise, eg I've fallen down the stairs and was unconscious, there was a gas explosion or fire. We also talked from a young age, that if there was a fire in the night, the best way to get out of an upstairs floor: to get out and raise the alarm, as me and hubby may be overcome by smoke. These things need to be talked through with a child, and I'd say from the age of 2 - 3: obviously in language that is suitable for the individual child, not too scary, but matter of fact - they will feel happier knowing what to do.

Unfortunately, this would apparently not have worked for poor Bella, as she was in a house she should have felt safe in.

Sorry a bit/lot Off topic there.

Good points that you made me think about as my daughter is almost 5 and I'm not sure she would know what to do. I wonder if little Bella tried to get help or if something happened suddenly that was not premeditated. It's so easy to get impatient with kids at that age and if the older boy was even somewhat disturbed, he may have had a loose screw and blew up at her. We need to remember that he tried to deny anything until the friend got involved so it makes me think it was not an accident. Sadly.

My daughter gave me a scare the other day - her and her best friend left the school and walked alone to the other little girl's house. Alone. At 4 years old. They had to cross a few busy streets and a town square area to get there and they just left. I went to the school to pick her up and she wasn't there. I have to say if I was in the States I would have been a lot more afraid but I knew where she could have been and I found her quickly. Needless to say, the school heard it from me.

I agree. I am fuming...you know why.........It is a case of here we go again! Wake up people, bad stuff does happen to children all of the time. It is bad enough here in Australia but in the US with the size of your population I do not understand people not being CONSTANTLY concerned about who their children are with.

Too many things not right here. As per above, there is a guy commenting that he dates a family member and he was there..........it is 10.30 pm and a 6year old is still awake, let alone left with a teenage neighbour. Sorry I dont care if he has known her all his life. Great grandma takes in troubled teenagers............that is all very nice and I am sure she is a lovely person. But you do not have a 6 year old girl around troubled teenagers. Way too lax people.

I agree. Not blaming the great g/ma but I would not go to bed and leave a 6 yr. old child in the company of a teenage boy, period. Too much temptation.
I trust a lot of people, some of them with my life, but there is no need to invite trouble to your doorstep.
She could have gotten cranky, threatened to tell her g/ma for something he was doing and he just snapped. Who knows what happened, but still, it was not a good idea to go off to bed with this child still up in the first place, let alone with a teenage boy in the house. It was just a disaster waiting to happen.
I just call it like I see it.

R.I.P. sweet Isabella. This case makes my heart sick. :(

http://www.wivb.com/dpp/news/niagara/video-mom-on-murder-of-5-yr-old-bella

This video is heart wrenching! Be prepared!!!

Bellas mom, Crystal, has very mixed emotions against her great-grandma and talks about the boy who is accused of killing her daughter. Such a terrible tragedy and the biggest question still goes unanswered, WHY???

This holds a big lesson to us all, BE CAREFUL WHO YOU TRUST WITH PRECIOUS LITTLE ONES!!!

"compression of the airway"

all I need to know.....

:furious:

horrible

My thoughts and prayers are with her family

So sad.
I have a 7 year old daughter and a 16 year old son. My daughter follows him around and always wants to do everything he is doing. Luckily my son would do anything for her: she was doing a cheerleading routine at school in front of her class and needed someone to be the bottom of her pyramid so he went on his lunch and did that for her. Once he accidentally dropped a water bottle on her and he was so upset by the thought that he hurt his little sister. It is too bad this boy didn't treat Bella the same way. :(

So.....grandma goes to bed and leaves Bella up and about? The 5 yr. old was supposed to put herself to bed or what? What was Bella doing when grandma went to bed? Where was the kid who killed her? What was he doing?

Regarding COD in this article...

I am trying to research what exactly is MECHANICAL obstruction of the airway... As opposed to anatomical obstruction of the airway...

I am not finding a clear distinction.

Are there any Sleuthers who can clarify this for me?

TIA

Maybe an article of clothing stuffed down her throat?

I apologise for the graphic language.

Maybe an article of clothing stuffed down her throat?

I apologise for the graphic language.

Thank you...

so mechanical means an outside source/device/etc.?

could the perps hands be considered a mechanical obstruction?

sorry to be nosey... I just can't imagine what all this 16 year old could do to this young child! :what:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back