GUILTY NY - Isabella Tennant, 5, Niagara Falls, 27 Aug 2012

:-( wow - scary and shocking. Thank you very much for this news and post. I wish people in some other tragic cases would have a sudden attack of conscience and confess.

It's someone special's Birthday today and in more ways than one this story reminds me of her and could explain many things.

God Bless Isabella.

The sad irony was not lost on me, either, isleuth. :(

God bless both Isabellas. :(

i'm not trying to justify anything, but look from a different perspective...
my 6 yr old climbs on the back of the futon, he shimmies up doorways, climbs on countertops, he thinks he is an acrobat and invincible.
what if Isabella decided to show off and a horrible accident happened?
what if the boy panicked and made a bad decision?

How many people lived in grandmas house? Grandma and grandpa and some guy dating a family member, the family member....and this 16 yr. old who was trusted to babysit Bella. Why was Bella up that late?

Please don't think I am naive, but isn't school in session? Why would a five year old be up so late, and furthermore, why would even teenagers be up so late? Usually, high schools start even earlier than elementary schools so I would imagine they had to be at school by 7 or 7:30.

I don't have teenagers, so maybe it's normal for them to be up until midnight on a school night?

My sister lives in NF and school doesn't start until next week .

I wonder what constitutes "troubled" in Freeman's past behavior...

There is a difference between truancy from school... And harming small animals, arson, Etc.

some signs indicate a severe disorder... More so than the others.

I am not at all putting blame on the great grandmother... She was truly trying to help, it seems.

But it could be a lesson to any of us whose hearts go out to troubled youngsters...:waitasec:

How many people lived in grandmas house? Grandma and grandpa and some guy dating a family member, the family member....and this 16 yr. old who was trusted to babysit Bella. Why was Bella up that late?

I agree. I am fuming...you know why.........It is a case of here we go again! Wake up people, bad stuff does happen to children all of the time. It is bad enough here in Australia but in the US with the size of your population I do not understand people not being CONSTANTLY concerned about who their children are with.

Too many things not right here. As per above, there is a guy commenting that he dates a family member and he was there..........it is 10.30 pm and a 6year old is still awake, let alone left with a teenage neighbour. Sorry I dont care if he has known her all his life. Great grandma takes in troubled teenagers............that is all very nice and I am sure she is a lovely person. But you do not have a 6 year old girl around troubled teenagers. Way too lax people.

I don't understand why this happened. Some people are sick, sick. Her poor mother. The poor baby.

Oh no! Terrible! This needs to STOP happening. What on earth is going on?!?! RIP sweet baby girl.

I agree. I am fuming...you know why.........It is a case of here we go again! Wake up people, bad stuff does happen to children all of the time. It is bad enough here in Australia but in the US with the size of your population I do not understand people not being CONSTANTLY concerned about who their children are with.

Too many things not right here. As per above, there is a guy commenting that he dates a family member and he was there..........it is 10.30 pm and a 6year old is still awake, let alone left with a teenage neighbour. Sorry I dont care if he has known her all his life. Great grandma takes in troubled teenagers............that is all very nice and I am sure she is a lovely person. But you do not have a 6 year old girl around troubled teenagers. Way too lax people.

My husband and I had this very conversation earlier this evening. We are familiar with that area and #1-we couldn't understand the door not being locked, not a great neighborhood and #2-I mentioned a neighbor boy to my husband and made the comparison that he has known our granddaughter since she was a baby and comes over to play with her and read her stories BUT I can't even imagine going to bed and leaving her alone with him downstairs at 10:30 at night. Why? Because I've seen and heard enough on the news to know this world has changed. We don't live in the "Leave it to Beaver" days anymore. I simply don't know what grandma was thinking???

sorry, watching *advertiser censored* does not a killer make....that is really, really painting with a broad brush.

I only say that because there is a HUGE problem with young teens and their access to internet *advertiser censored*. I worked in a school for years and it was a big problem the teachers and parents were trying to address. !4 yr old boys are often bombarded by unwanted and unasked for images when they are online playing video games.

And it is a tender age that is not good for them to be imprinted with violent or sick sexual images. add to that the sick films that are out there, and it IS a problem.

So I will stick by what I said. I will not be surprised to hear that the teen was sitting and watching *advertiser censored* when he came across the little girl alone in the middle of the night.

I have np problem with people using images to enhance their sex lives. but I do have a problem with pervs sending sick twisted violent images out to young kids who are not able to process it fully or correctly.

Thank you nursebee for the links & presser info.
Just sad.
& I don't care if grandma has a great big heart for trouble youth. Imo it's just lazy to not put yor grand daughter in bed or in bed w/ you when she went at 1030. Just not wanting to take the time or struggle it takes to put a young child to bed. It's much easier to just go to sleep & hope & pray this child gets some required sleep & if not then those teens that are up will do it for you!?? Imo if you are trying to be a guiding light for troubled youth you should take it upon yourself to show those that are troubled the right & correct loving way to care for a young child. Teach by example...not here I'm tired you watch this tired child, make sure she is in her jammies & her favorite snugglie.. I will give them their undeniable grief but I don't give those in charge of her saftey a pass on what ended up happening to Isabella.jmo.

In a statement released Monday night, detectives said, "At this time we believe Freeman killed Isabella with his bare hands and that Best was only involved after she was deceased."

Early Monday evening, police confirmed that they had charged John Freeman, 16, 422 Sixth St., with second-degree murder.

Investigators said they charged Tyler Best, 18, 193 Banard St., Buffalo, with tampering with evidence. Police said Best has been staying at Freeman's Sixth Street home for the last year.

http://niagara-gazette.com/local/x143102132/Teens-charged-in-murder-of-5-year-old-girl

Some people might not agree with what I'm about to say but I'm gonna say it anyway: I love my mom, she would dote on my daughter and she watched my daughter many times while we were still in the States. Same with my grandmother who at her age had already been the president of a bank. But there is a generation gap, IMO, regarding trust and safety that cannot be ignored. I can imagine this great grandmother had people helping her at her age. She trusted these kids. It's a whole different world from when they were younger and nowadays, you can't trust people like you used to, no matter how good your intentions are. I come from the days of walking to school alone at 5, sitting on the front seat of the car with my dad's arm as the seat belt and no way in h-e double toothpicks would I be wearing a bike helmet. Grandmas and great- grandmas still live in that world. Moms have to be careful about the circumstances and not rely on another generation to take the same precautions.

Rest in peace little angel.

How much time can someone get for tampering with evidence??

I'm so sorry for your family loss

It's really strange...I've been a fairly active Websleuths member for a few years, and I never thought anyone connected to family would have their own thread here! I've only met a couple of the relatives on this distant side of the family, but my husband knows all about the lifestyle some of them have led, and the fact that she was unattended at the hour with a teenager is really, sadly no surprise:(

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrimeJunkie82
Back